Removing adwaita-icon-theme with `apt remove` removed my entire desktop

The name of the pictureThe name of the pictureThe name of the pictureClash Royale CLAN TAG#URR8PPP








up vote
1
down vote

favorite
1












I just installed Ubuntu 18.04 and it removed some applications during install. I had the adwaita icon theme which has some icons that were affected. To fix this i thought I could just remove and reinstall. I did



sudo apt remove adwaita-icon-theme


Suddenly every application on my machine started to delete until I had nothing left. I rebooted and it loaded into a black terminal.



How can I fix this?







share|improve this question






















  • For future reference, APT has a --reinstall option that replaces all the files of a package without calculating dependency resolution for removal of the package (because it doesn't get removed).
    – Zanna
    Apr 27 at 5:18














up vote
1
down vote

favorite
1












I just installed Ubuntu 18.04 and it removed some applications during install. I had the adwaita icon theme which has some icons that were affected. To fix this i thought I could just remove and reinstall. I did



sudo apt remove adwaita-icon-theme


Suddenly every application on my machine started to delete until I had nothing left. I rebooted and it loaded into a black terminal.



How can I fix this?







share|improve this question






















  • For future reference, APT has a --reinstall option that replaces all the files of a package without calculating dependency resolution for removal of the package (because it doesn't get removed).
    – Zanna
    Apr 27 at 5:18












up vote
1
down vote

favorite
1









up vote
1
down vote

favorite
1






1





I just installed Ubuntu 18.04 and it removed some applications during install. I had the adwaita icon theme which has some icons that were affected. To fix this i thought I could just remove and reinstall. I did



sudo apt remove adwaita-icon-theme


Suddenly every application on my machine started to delete until I had nothing left. I rebooted and it loaded into a black terminal.



How can I fix this?







share|improve this question














I just installed Ubuntu 18.04 and it removed some applications during install. I had the adwaita icon theme which has some icons that were affected. To fix this i thought I could just remove and reinstall. I did



sudo apt remove adwaita-icon-theme


Suddenly every application on my machine started to delete until I had nothing left. I rebooted and it loaded into a black terminal.



How can I fix this?









share|improve this question













share|improve this question




share|improve this question








edited Apr 27 at 5:13









Zanna

48k13119227




48k13119227










asked Apr 27 at 4:46









Syed Sadman

696




696











  • For future reference, APT has a --reinstall option that replaces all the files of a package without calculating dependency resolution for removal of the package (because it doesn't get removed).
    – Zanna
    Apr 27 at 5:18
















  • For future reference, APT has a --reinstall option that replaces all the files of a package without calculating dependency resolution for removal of the package (because it doesn't get removed).
    – Zanna
    Apr 27 at 5:18















For future reference, APT has a --reinstall option that replaces all the files of a package without calculating dependency resolution for removal of the package (because it doesn't get removed).
– Zanna
Apr 27 at 5:18




For future reference, APT has a --reinstall option that replaces all the files of a package without calculating dependency resolution for removal of the package (because it doesn't get removed).
– Zanna
Apr 27 at 5:18










1 Answer
1






active

oldest

votes

















up vote
2
down vote













Alright so I was playing around and found a solution.



sudo apt --fix-broken install
sudo apt install adwaita-icon-theme
sudo apt-get install gnome-shell ubuntu-gnome-desktop


That restored the apps that come with Ubuntu. I still have to install third party apps again..



I'll keep this for reference in case someone else makes the same mistake. I guess Ubuntu 18.04 LTS has bugs.






share|improve this answer






















  • May be it's too early to upgrade to the latest version?
    – Drakonoved
    Apr 27 at 5:10






  • 1




    Yeah just wait a few more weeks... that was scary lol
    – Syed Sadman
    Apr 27 at 5:15










Your Answer







StackExchange.ready(function()
var channelOptions =
tags: "".split(" "),
id: "89"
;
initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
// Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
createEditor();
);

else
createEditor();

);

function createEditor()
StackExchange.prepareEditor(
heartbeatType: 'answer',
convertImagesToLinks: true,
noModals: false,
showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
reputationToPostImages: 10,
bindNavPrevention: true,
postfix: "",
onDemand: true,
discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
);



);













 

draft saved


draft discarded


















StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1028611%2fremoving-adwaita-icon-theme-with-apt-remove-removed-my-entire-desktop%23new-answer', 'question_page');

);

Post as a guest






























1 Answer
1






active

oldest

votes








1 Answer
1






active

oldest

votes









active

oldest

votes






active

oldest

votes








up vote
2
down vote













Alright so I was playing around and found a solution.



sudo apt --fix-broken install
sudo apt install adwaita-icon-theme
sudo apt-get install gnome-shell ubuntu-gnome-desktop


That restored the apps that come with Ubuntu. I still have to install third party apps again..



I'll keep this for reference in case someone else makes the same mistake. I guess Ubuntu 18.04 LTS has bugs.






share|improve this answer






















  • May be it's too early to upgrade to the latest version?
    – Drakonoved
    Apr 27 at 5:10






  • 1




    Yeah just wait a few more weeks... that was scary lol
    – Syed Sadman
    Apr 27 at 5:15














up vote
2
down vote













Alright so I was playing around and found a solution.



sudo apt --fix-broken install
sudo apt install adwaita-icon-theme
sudo apt-get install gnome-shell ubuntu-gnome-desktop


That restored the apps that come with Ubuntu. I still have to install third party apps again..



I'll keep this for reference in case someone else makes the same mistake. I guess Ubuntu 18.04 LTS has bugs.






share|improve this answer






















  • May be it's too early to upgrade to the latest version?
    – Drakonoved
    Apr 27 at 5:10






  • 1




    Yeah just wait a few more weeks... that was scary lol
    – Syed Sadman
    Apr 27 at 5:15












up vote
2
down vote










up vote
2
down vote









Alright so I was playing around and found a solution.



sudo apt --fix-broken install
sudo apt install adwaita-icon-theme
sudo apt-get install gnome-shell ubuntu-gnome-desktop


That restored the apps that come with Ubuntu. I still have to install third party apps again..



I'll keep this for reference in case someone else makes the same mistake. I guess Ubuntu 18.04 LTS has bugs.






share|improve this answer














Alright so I was playing around and found a solution.



sudo apt --fix-broken install
sudo apt install adwaita-icon-theme
sudo apt-get install gnome-shell ubuntu-gnome-desktop


That restored the apps that come with Ubuntu. I still have to install third party apps again..



I'll keep this for reference in case someone else makes the same mistake. I guess Ubuntu 18.04 LTS has bugs.







share|improve this answer














share|improve this answer



share|improve this answer








edited Apr 27 at 5:14









Zanna

48k13119227




48k13119227










answered Apr 27 at 5:06









Syed Sadman

696




696











  • May be it's too early to upgrade to the latest version?
    – Drakonoved
    Apr 27 at 5:10






  • 1




    Yeah just wait a few more weeks... that was scary lol
    – Syed Sadman
    Apr 27 at 5:15
















  • May be it's too early to upgrade to the latest version?
    – Drakonoved
    Apr 27 at 5:10






  • 1




    Yeah just wait a few more weeks... that was scary lol
    – Syed Sadman
    Apr 27 at 5:15















May be it's too early to upgrade to the latest version?
– Drakonoved
Apr 27 at 5:10




May be it's too early to upgrade to the latest version?
– Drakonoved
Apr 27 at 5:10




1




1




Yeah just wait a few more weeks... that was scary lol
– Syed Sadman
Apr 27 at 5:15




Yeah just wait a few more weeks... that was scary lol
– Syed Sadman
Apr 27 at 5:15

















 

draft saved


draft discarded















































 


draft saved


draft discarded














StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1028611%2fremoving-adwaita-icon-theme-with-apt-remove-removed-my-entire-desktop%23new-answer', 'question_page');

);

Post as a guest













































































Popular posts from this blog

Which professions warranted travel in Medieval times?

How do so many people here on Academia.SE, and in general, afford lavish higher education programs?

Trouble downloading packages list due to a “Hash sum mismatch” error