Can't paste files or create folders in a file browser on my root or /opt [duplicate]

The name of the pictureThe name of the pictureThe name of the pictureClash Royale CLAN TAG#URR8PPP








up vote
0
down vote

favorite













This question already has an answer here:



  • How do I start Nautilus as root?

    8 answers



I'm using Ubuntu 16.04 in VirtualBox.



I would like to unpack a tar.gz in my root (/) folder but I can't paste any file in it or even create a new folder in the file browser.



I can do that with command line when I use sudo but when I use right click I don't have access to create new folder or paste... I have sudo privilege so I don't really understand.



I think it can by done with terminal because with mkdir I've been able to create a folder, but I can't write in this folder.



Does anybody have any clue about it?







share|improve this question














marked as duplicate by David Foerster, Zanna, karel, N0rbert, muru Apr 27 at 8:05


This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.














  • What I mean by I am root user is that I have admin rights. I can do any sudo command line. This file contain a package that is suppossed to go in the opt folder. (When I open my tar.gz with archive manager I can see there is the opt/ folder then in it the soft I need) and I'm also following a tutorial that telling me to unpack it in my root folder in order to install it in the opt folder.
    – David
    Apr 26 at 13:01











  • My point here is that I'm not using any command line I'm trying to do it with the manager. With command line I believe everything works fine but I don't understand why I can't access directly to my opt folder. When I open /opt then right click I can't add new folder, paste file.... (not sure to be clear)
    – David
    Apr 26 at 13:12











  • Thanks, I understand better now. I tried this command line : sudo tar -xvfz tc_arm_gcc-4.4.4-glibc-2.11.1-multilib-1.0.i386.tar.gz and got this error : "tar: z : open impossible: Aucun fichier ou dossier de ce type tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now the french part says that there is no file or folder of this type. But the spelling is good and my file is in my "/" folder
    – David
    Apr 26 at 13:22











  • Also why do you don't recommend to run file browser with root privilege ?
    – David
    Apr 26 at 13:30










  • Maybe the z option is not required... does it work without it?
    – Zanna
    Apr 26 at 13:45














up vote
0
down vote

favorite













This question already has an answer here:



  • How do I start Nautilus as root?

    8 answers



I'm using Ubuntu 16.04 in VirtualBox.



I would like to unpack a tar.gz in my root (/) folder but I can't paste any file in it or even create a new folder in the file browser.



I can do that with command line when I use sudo but when I use right click I don't have access to create new folder or paste... I have sudo privilege so I don't really understand.



I think it can by done with terminal because with mkdir I've been able to create a folder, but I can't write in this folder.



Does anybody have any clue about it?







share|improve this question














marked as duplicate by David Foerster, Zanna, karel, N0rbert, muru Apr 27 at 8:05


This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.














  • What I mean by I am root user is that I have admin rights. I can do any sudo command line. This file contain a package that is suppossed to go in the opt folder. (When I open my tar.gz with archive manager I can see there is the opt/ folder then in it the soft I need) and I'm also following a tutorial that telling me to unpack it in my root folder in order to install it in the opt folder.
    – David
    Apr 26 at 13:01











  • My point here is that I'm not using any command line I'm trying to do it with the manager. With command line I believe everything works fine but I don't understand why I can't access directly to my opt folder. When I open /opt then right click I can't add new folder, paste file.... (not sure to be clear)
    – David
    Apr 26 at 13:12











  • Thanks, I understand better now. I tried this command line : sudo tar -xvfz tc_arm_gcc-4.4.4-glibc-2.11.1-multilib-1.0.i386.tar.gz and got this error : "tar: z : open impossible: Aucun fichier ou dossier de ce type tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now the french part says that there is no file or folder of this type. But the spelling is good and my file is in my "/" folder
    – David
    Apr 26 at 13:22











  • Also why do you don't recommend to run file browser with root privilege ?
    – David
    Apr 26 at 13:30










  • Maybe the z option is not required... does it work without it?
    – Zanna
    Apr 26 at 13:45












up vote
0
down vote

favorite









up vote
0
down vote

favorite












This question already has an answer here:



  • How do I start Nautilus as root?

    8 answers



I'm using Ubuntu 16.04 in VirtualBox.



I would like to unpack a tar.gz in my root (/) folder but I can't paste any file in it or even create a new folder in the file browser.



I can do that with command line when I use sudo but when I use right click I don't have access to create new folder or paste... I have sudo privilege so I don't really understand.



I think it can by done with terminal because with mkdir I've been able to create a folder, but I can't write in this folder.



Does anybody have any clue about it?







share|improve this question















This question already has an answer here:



  • How do I start Nautilus as root?

    8 answers



I'm using Ubuntu 16.04 in VirtualBox.



I would like to unpack a tar.gz in my root (/) folder but I can't paste any file in it or even create a new folder in the file browser.



I can do that with command line when I use sudo but when I use right click I don't have access to create new folder or paste... I have sudo privilege so I don't really understand.



I think it can by done with terminal because with mkdir I've been able to create a folder, but I can't write in this folder.



Does anybody have any clue about it?





This question already has an answer here:



  • How do I start Nautilus as root?

    8 answers









share|improve this question













share|improve this question




share|improve this question








edited Apr 26 at 15:10









Zanna

48k13119227




48k13119227










asked Apr 26 at 12:45









David

34




34




marked as duplicate by David Foerster, Zanna, karel, N0rbert, muru Apr 27 at 8:05


This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.






marked as duplicate by David Foerster, Zanna, karel, N0rbert, muru Apr 27 at 8:05


This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.













  • What I mean by I am root user is that I have admin rights. I can do any sudo command line. This file contain a package that is suppossed to go in the opt folder. (When I open my tar.gz with archive manager I can see there is the opt/ folder then in it the soft I need) and I'm also following a tutorial that telling me to unpack it in my root folder in order to install it in the opt folder.
    – David
    Apr 26 at 13:01











  • My point here is that I'm not using any command line I'm trying to do it with the manager. With command line I believe everything works fine but I don't understand why I can't access directly to my opt folder. When I open /opt then right click I can't add new folder, paste file.... (not sure to be clear)
    – David
    Apr 26 at 13:12











  • Thanks, I understand better now. I tried this command line : sudo tar -xvfz tc_arm_gcc-4.4.4-glibc-2.11.1-multilib-1.0.i386.tar.gz and got this error : "tar: z : open impossible: Aucun fichier ou dossier de ce type tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now the french part says that there is no file or folder of this type. But the spelling is good and my file is in my "/" folder
    – David
    Apr 26 at 13:22











  • Also why do you don't recommend to run file browser with root privilege ?
    – David
    Apr 26 at 13:30










  • Maybe the z option is not required... does it work without it?
    – Zanna
    Apr 26 at 13:45
















  • What I mean by I am root user is that I have admin rights. I can do any sudo command line. This file contain a package that is suppossed to go in the opt folder. (When I open my tar.gz with archive manager I can see there is the opt/ folder then in it the soft I need) and I'm also following a tutorial that telling me to unpack it in my root folder in order to install it in the opt folder.
    – David
    Apr 26 at 13:01











  • My point here is that I'm not using any command line I'm trying to do it with the manager. With command line I believe everything works fine but I don't understand why I can't access directly to my opt folder. When I open /opt then right click I can't add new folder, paste file.... (not sure to be clear)
    – David
    Apr 26 at 13:12











  • Thanks, I understand better now. I tried this command line : sudo tar -xvfz tc_arm_gcc-4.4.4-glibc-2.11.1-multilib-1.0.i386.tar.gz and got this error : "tar: z : open impossible: Aucun fichier ou dossier de ce type tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now the french part says that there is no file or folder of this type. But the spelling is good and my file is in my "/" folder
    – David
    Apr 26 at 13:22











  • Also why do you don't recommend to run file browser with root privilege ?
    – David
    Apr 26 at 13:30










  • Maybe the z option is not required... does it work without it?
    – Zanna
    Apr 26 at 13:45















What I mean by I am root user is that I have admin rights. I can do any sudo command line. This file contain a package that is suppossed to go in the opt folder. (When I open my tar.gz with archive manager I can see there is the opt/ folder then in it the soft I need) and I'm also following a tutorial that telling me to unpack it in my root folder in order to install it in the opt folder.
– David
Apr 26 at 13:01





What I mean by I am root user is that I have admin rights. I can do any sudo command line. This file contain a package that is suppossed to go in the opt folder. (When I open my tar.gz with archive manager I can see there is the opt/ folder then in it the soft I need) and I'm also following a tutorial that telling me to unpack it in my root folder in order to install it in the opt folder.
– David
Apr 26 at 13:01













My point here is that I'm not using any command line I'm trying to do it with the manager. With command line I believe everything works fine but I don't understand why I can't access directly to my opt folder. When I open /opt then right click I can't add new folder, paste file.... (not sure to be clear)
– David
Apr 26 at 13:12





My point here is that I'm not using any command line I'm trying to do it with the manager. With command line I believe everything works fine but I don't understand why I can't access directly to my opt folder. When I open /opt then right click I can't add new folder, paste file.... (not sure to be clear)
– David
Apr 26 at 13:12













Thanks, I understand better now. I tried this command line : sudo tar -xvfz tc_arm_gcc-4.4.4-glibc-2.11.1-multilib-1.0.i386.tar.gz and got this error : "tar: z : open impossible: Aucun fichier ou dossier de ce type tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now the french part says that there is no file or folder of this type. But the spelling is good and my file is in my "/" folder
– David
Apr 26 at 13:22





Thanks, I understand better now. I tried this command line : sudo tar -xvfz tc_arm_gcc-4.4.4-glibc-2.11.1-multilib-1.0.i386.tar.gz and got this error : "tar: z : open impossible: Aucun fichier ou dossier de ce type tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now the french part says that there is no file or folder of this type. But the spelling is good and my file is in my "/" folder
– David
Apr 26 at 13:22













Also why do you don't recommend to run file browser with root privilege ?
– David
Apr 26 at 13:30




Also why do you don't recommend to run file browser with root privilege ?
– David
Apr 26 at 13:30












Maybe the z option is not required... does it work without it?
– Zanna
Apr 26 at 13:45




Maybe the z option is not required... does it work without it?
– Zanna
Apr 26 at 13:45










1 Answer
1






active

oldest

votes

















up vote
0
down vote



accepted










try to do the following from your terminal:



sudo -H nautilus


that way you will get all the privileges like as root to make folders and paste stuffs everywhere you want.






share|improve this answer






















  • Thank you it works, I saw it thanks to Zanna's example !
    – David
    Apr 26 at 13:34






  • 2




    And what happens when it goes wrong with an edit of a config file in user home dir? Don't do this, it should have been sudo -H nautilus see man sudo
    – George Udosen
    Apr 26 at 13:48











  • Thanks for suggestions, I've edited my answer.
    – spaceman117X
    Apr 26 at 15:29

















1 Answer
1






active

oldest

votes








1 Answer
1






active

oldest

votes









active

oldest

votes






active

oldest

votes








up vote
0
down vote



accepted










try to do the following from your terminal:



sudo -H nautilus


that way you will get all the privileges like as root to make folders and paste stuffs everywhere you want.






share|improve this answer






















  • Thank you it works, I saw it thanks to Zanna's example !
    – David
    Apr 26 at 13:34






  • 2




    And what happens when it goes wrong with an edit of a config file in user home dir? Don't do this, it should have been sudo -H nautilus see man sudo
    – George Udosen
    Apr 26 at 13:48











  • Thanks for suggestions, I've edited my answer.
    – spaceman117X
    Apr 26 at 15:29














up vote
0
down vote



accepted










try to do the following from your terminal:



sudo -H nautilus


that way you will get all the privileges like as root to make folders and paste stuffs everywhere you want.






share|improve this answer






















  • Thank you it works, I saw it thanks to Zanna's example !
    – David
    Apr 26 at 13:34






  • 2




    And what happens when it goes wrong with an edit of a config file in user home dir? Don't do this, it should have been sudo -H nautilus see man sudo
    – George Udosen
    Apr 26 at 13:48











  • Thanks for suggestions, I've edited my answer.
    – spaceman117X
    Apr 26 at 15:29












up vote
0
down vote



accepted







up vote
0
down vote



accepted






try to do the following from your terminal:



sudo -H nautilus


that way you will get all the privileges like as root to make folders and paste stuffs everywhere you want.






share|improve this answer














try to do the following from your terminal:



sudo -H nautilus


that way you will get all the privileges like as root to make folders and paste stuffs everywhere you want.







share|improve this answer














share|improve this answer



share|improve this answer








edited Apr 26 at 15:29

























answered Apr 26 at 13:27









spaceman117X

1647




1647











  • Thank you it works, I saw it thanks to Zanna's example !
    – David
    Apr 26 at 13:34






  • 2




    And what happens when it goes wrong with an edit of a config file in user home dir? Don't do this, it should have been sudo -H nautilus see man sudo
    – George Udosen
    Apr 26 at 13:48











  • Thanks for suggestions, I've edited my answer.
    – spaceman117X
    Apr 26 at 15:29
















  • Thank you it works, I saw it thanks to Zanna's example !
    – David
    Apr 26 at 13:34






  • 2




    And what happens when it goes wrong with an edit of a config file in user home dir? Don't do this, it should have been sudo -H nautilus see man sudo
    – George Udosen
    Apr 26 at 13:48











  • Thanks for suggestions, I've edited my answer.
    – spaceman117X
    Apr 26 at 15:29















Thank you it works, I saw it thanks to Zanna's example !
– David
Apr 26 at 13:34




Thank you it works, I saw it thanks to Zanna's example !
– David
Apr 26 at 13:34




2




2




And what happens when it goes wrong with an edit of a config file in user home dir? Don't do this, it should have been sudo -H nautilus see man sudo
– George Udosen
Apr 26 at 13:48





And what happens when it goes wrong with an edit of a config file in user home dir? Don't do this, it should have been sudo -H nautilus see man sudo
– George Udosen
Apr 26 at 13:48













Thanks for suggestions, I've edited my answer.
– spaceman117X
Apr 26 at 15:29




Thanks for suggestions, I've edited my answer.
– spaceman117X
Apr 26 at 15:29


Popular posts from this blog

Which professions warranted travel in Medieval times?

How do so many people here on Academia.SE, and in general, afford lavish higher education programs?

Trouble downloading packages list due to a “Hash sum mismatch” error