Bionic Beaver 18.04 CD black screen in VMware Workstation 14

The name of the pictureThe name of the pictureThe name of the pictureClash Royale CLAN TAG#URR8PPP








up vote
0
down vote

favorite












I'm trying to install Bionic Beaver 18.04 LTS in VMware Workstation 14. The host is Windows 10 Enterprise v1709 64-bit.



I downloaded the ISO from release.ubuntu.com and I used tools to check the checksums to ensure that the file was downloaded correctly. Then I opened VMware and created a new virtual machine.



In VMware, I selected "Typical (recommended)", then "I will install the operating system later" (I don't want Easy Install this time, but it's the same - it still blackscreens), then went through a few steps as usual. I set VMware to store the virtual disk as a single file and set it to 32 GB.



After creating the VM, I increased the memory to 4 GB (VMware defaults it to 1 GB after detecting Ubuntu 64-bit) and processor core count to 4 (VMware defaults it to 1), deleted the printer and inserted the ISO file as "CD/DVD". I left all other settings as their defaults. Then I started the VM.



It went through a few screens that are familiar to me, and nothing showed up after hearing the familiar "drum" sound. I only have a mouse that I can move in and out of VMware.



Any help?



1



2







share|improve this question




















  • Side question: Can a moderator add bionic as a synonym of 18.04?
    – iBug
    Apr 27 at 5:01














up vote
0
down vote

favorite












I'm trying to install Bionic Beaver 18.04 LTS in VMware Workstation 14. The host is Windows 10 Enterprise v1709 64-bit.



I downloaded the ISO from release.ubuntu.com and I used tools to check the checksums to ensure that the file was downloaded correctly. Then I opened VMware and created a new virtual machine.



In VMware, I selected "Typical (recommended)", then "I will install the operating system later" (I don't want Easy Install this time, but it's the same - it still blackscreens), then went through a few steps as usual. I set VMware to store the virtual disk as a single file and set it to 32 GB.



After creating the VM, I increased the memory to 4 GB (VMware defaults it to 1 GB after detecting Ubuntu 64-bit) and processor core count to 4 (VMware defaults it to 1), deleted the printer and inserted the ISO file as "CD/DVD". I left all other settings as their defaults. Then I started the VM.



It went through a few screens that are familiar to me, and nothing showed up after hearing the familiar "drum" sound. I only have a mouse that I can move in and out of VMware.



Any help?



1



2







share|improve this question




















  • Side question: Can a moderator add bionic as a synonym of 18.04?
    – iBug
    Apr 27 at 5:01












up vote
0
down vote

favorite









up vote
0
down vote

favorite











I'm trying to install Bionic Beaver 18.04 LTS in VMware Workstation 14. The host is Windows 10 Enterprise v1709 64-bit.



I downloaded the ISO from release.ubuntu.com and I used tools to check the checksums to ensure that the file was downloaded correctly. Then I opened VMware and created a new virtual machine.



In VMware, I selected "Typical (recommended)", then "I will install the operating system later" (I don't want Easy Install this time, but it's the same - it still blackscreens), then went through a few steps as usual. I set VMware to store the virtual disk as a single file and set it to 32 GB.



After creating the VM, I increased the memory to 4 GB (VMware defaults it to 1 GB after detecting Ubuntu 64-bit) and processor core count to 4 (VMware defaults it to 1), deleted the printer and inserted the ISO file as "CD/DVD". I left all other settings as their defaults. Then I started the VM.



It went through a few screens that are familiar to me, and nothing showed up after hearing the familiar "drum" sound. I only have a mouse that I can move in and out of VMware.



Any help?



1



2







share|improve this question












I'm trying to install Bionic Beaver 18.04 LTS in VMware Workstation 14. The host is Windows 10 Enterprise v1709 64-bit.



I downloaded the ISO from release.ubuntu.com and I used tools to check the checksums to ensure that the file was downloaded correctly. Then I opened VMware and created a new virtual machine.



In VMware, I selected "Typical (recommended)", then "I will install the operating system later" (I don't want Easy Install this time, but it's the same - it still blackscreens), then went through a few steps as usual. I set VMware to store the virtual disk as a single file and set it to 32 GB.



After creating the VM, I increased the memory to 4 GB (VMware defaults it to 1 GB after detecting Ubuntu 64-bit) and processor core count to 4 (VMware defaults it to 1), deleted the printer and inserted the ISO file as "CD/DVD". I left all other settings as their defaults. Then I started the VM.



It went through a few screens that are familiar to me, and nothing showed up after hearing the familiar "drum" sound. I only have a mouse that I can move in and out of VMware.



Any help?



1



2









share|improve this question











share|improve this question




share|improve this question










asked Apr 27 at 4:58









iBug

103128




103128











  • Side question: Can a moderator add bionic as a synonym of 18.04?
    – iBug
    Apr 27 at 5:01
















  • Side question: Can a moderator add bionic as a synonym of 18.04?
    – iBug
    Apr 27 at 5:01















Side question: Can a moderator add bionic as a synonym of 18.04?
– iBug
Apr 27 at 5:01




Side question: Can a moderator add bionic as a synonym of 18.04?
– iBug
Apr 27 at 5:01










1 Answer
1






active

oldest

votes

















up vote
0
down vote













If I disable 3D acceleration in VMware settings, it works.






share|improve this answer


















  • 3




    Can you edit this with information about how to do that?
    – Eliah Kagan
    Apr 27 at 14:38










Your Answer







StackExchange.ready(function()
var channelOptions =
tags: "".split(" "),
id: "89"
;
initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
// Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
createEditor();
);

else
createEditor();

);

function createEditor()
StackExchange.prepareEditor(
heartbeatType: 'answer',
convertImagesToLinks: true,
noModals: false,
showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
reputationToPostImages: 10,
bindNavPrevention: true,
postfix: "",
onDemand: true,
discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
);



);













 

draft saved


draft discarded


















StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1028614%2fbionic-beaver-18-04-cd-black-screen-in-vmware-workstation-14%23new-answer', 'question_page');

);

Post as a guest






























1 Answer
1






active

oldest

votes








1 Answer
1






active

oldest

votes









active

oldest

votes






active

oldest

votes








up vote
0
down vote













If I disable 3D acceleration in VMware settings, it works.






share|improve this answer


















  • 3




    Can you edit this with information about how to do that?
    – Eliah Kagan
    Apr 27 at 14:38














up vote
0
down vote













If I disable 3D acceleration in VMware settings, it works.






share|improve this answer


















  • 3




    Can you edit this with information about how to do that?
    – Eliah Kagan
    Apr 27 at 14:38












up vote
0
down vote










up vote
0
down vote









If I disable 3D acceleration in VMware settings, it works.






share|improve this answer














If I disable 3D acceleration in VMware settings, it works.







share|improve this answer














share|improve this answer



share|improve this answer








edited Apr 27 at 20:48









karel

50.2k11107127




50.2k11107127










answered Apr 27 at 13:28









Rian Quinn

101




101







  • 3




    Can you edit this with information about how to do that?
    – Eliah Kagan
    Apr 27 at 14:38












  • 3




    Can you edit this with information about how to do that?
    – Eliah Kagan
    Apr 27 at 14:38







3




3




Can you edit this with information about how to do that?
– Eliah Kagan
Apr 27 at 14:38




Can you edit this with information about how to do that?
– Eliah Kagan
Apr 27 at 14:38

















 

draft saved


draft discarded















































 


draft saved


draft discarded














StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1028614%2fbionic-beaver-18-04-cd-black-screen-in-vmware-workstation-14%23new-answer', 'question_page');

);

Post as a guest













































































Popular posts from this blog

Which professions warranted travel in Medieval times?

How do so many people here on Academia.SE, and in general, afford lavish higher education programs?

Trouble downloading packages list due to a “Hash sum mismatch” error