Can't Use a Headset in Ubuntu Mate

The name of the pictureThe name of the pictureThe name of the pictureClash Royale CLAN TAG#URR8PPP








up vote
1
down vote

favorite












I'm running into an issue when trying to use a headset with my PC. The sound just isn't coming from the headphones. I don't know why this would be the case, as sound is coming out of my PC's speakers.



I'm using release 16.04.4 LTS (Xenial Xerus) 64-bit, and I'm running on an Alienware 15 R2.







share|improve this question






















  • try to use pavucontrol to manipulate the sound output. you can download it with sudo apt install pavucontrol . open it from the menu and toggle the sound output and see if it works
    – ptetteh227
    Apr 27 at 0:10










  • That doesn't seem to work. I can change the audio port and it recognizes that I have a headset plugged in, but the audio continues to play out of my laptop's speakers.
    – Andrew Huffman
    Apr 27 at 19:43










  • How is the headset connected to the computer? Analogue "phone connector" audio cables? USB? Bluetooth? Something else?
    – David Foerster
    Apr 27 at 21:15











  • It seems allot like a "phone connector", but it has two separate ports for audio and microphone.
    – Andrew Huffman
    Apr 29 at 13:01














up vote
1
down vote

favorite












I'm running into an issue when trying to use a headset with my PC. The sound just isn't coming from the headphones. I don't know why this would be the case, as sound is coming out of my PC's speakers.



I'm using release 16.04.4 LTS (Xenial Xerus) 64-bit, and I'm running on an Alienware 15 R2.







share|improve this question






















  • try to use pavucontrol to manipulate the sound output. you can download it with sudo apt install pavucontrol . open it from the menu and toggle the sound output and see if it works
    – ptetteh227
    Apr 27 at 0:10










  • That doesn't seem to work. I can change the audio port and it recognizes that I have a headset plugged in, but the audio continues to play out of my laptop's speakers.
    – Andrew Huffman
    Apr 27 at 19:43










  • How is the headset connected to the computer? Analogue "phone connector" audio cables? USB? Bluetooth? Something else?
    – David Foerster
    Apr 27 at 21:15











  • It seems allot like a "phone connector", but it has two separate ports for audio and microphone.
    – Andrew Huffman
    Apr 29 at 13:01












up vote
1
down vote

favorite









up vote
1
down vote

favorite











I'm running into an issue when trying to use a headset with my PC. The sound just isn't coming from the headphones. I don't know why this would be the case, as sound is coming out of my PC's speakers.



I'm using release 16.04.4 LTS (Xenial Xerus) 64-bit, and I'm running on an Alienware 15 R2.







share|improve this question














I'm running into an issue when trying to use a headset with my PC. The sound just isn't coming from the headphones. I don't know why this would be the case, as sound is coming out of my PC's speakers.



I'm using release 16.04.4 LTS (Xenial Xerus) 64-bit, and I'm running on an Alienware 15 R2.









share|improve this question













share|improve this question




share|improve this question








edited Apr 28 at 6:49









αғsнιη

23.2k2191152




23.2k2191152










asked Apr 26 at 23:16









Andrew Huffman

111




111











  • try to use pavucontrol to manipulate the sound output. you can download it with sudo apt install pavucontrol . open it from the menu and toggle the sound output and see if it works
    – ptetteh227
    Apr 27 at 0:10










  • That doesn't seem to work. I can change the audio port and it recognizes that I have a headset plugged in, but the audio continues to play out of my laptop's speakers.
    – Andrew Huffman
    Apr 27 at 19:43










  • How is the headset connected to the computer? Analogue "phone connector" audio cables? USB? Bluetooth? Something else?
    – David Foerster
    Apr 27 at 21:15











  • It seems allot like a "phone connector", but it has two separate ports for audio and microphone.
    – Andrew Huffman
    Apr 29 at 13:01
















  • try to use pavucontrol to manipulate the sound output. you can download it with sudo apt install pavucontrol . open it from the menu and toggle the sound output and see if it works
    – ptetteh227
    Apr 27 at 0:10










  • That doesn't seem to work. I can change the audio port and it recognizes that I have a headset plugged in, but the audio continues to play out of my laptop's speakers.
    – Andrew Huffman
    Apr 27 at 19:43










  • How is the headset connected to the computer? Analogue "phone connector" audio cables? USB? Bluetooth? Something else?
    – David Foerster
    Apr 27 at 21:15











  • It seems allot like a "phone connector", but it has two separate ports for audio and microphone.
    – Andrew Huffman
    Apr 29 at 13:01















try to use pavucontrol to manipulate the sound output. you can download it with sudo apt install pavucontrol . open it from the menu and toggle the sound output and see if it works
– ptetteh227
Apr 27 at 0:10




try to use pavucontrol to manipulate the sound output. you can download it with sudo apt install pavucontrol . open it from the menu and toggle the sound output and see if it works
– ptetteh227
Apr 27 at 0:10












That doesn't seem to work. I can change the audio port and it recognizes that I have a headset plugged in, but the audio continues to play out of my laptop's speakers.
– Andrew Huffman
Apr 27 at 19:43




That doesn't seem to work. I can change the audio port and it recognizes that I have a headset plugged in, but the audio continues to play out of my laptop's speakers.
– Andrew Huffman
Apr 27 at 19:43












How is the headset connected to the computer? Analogue "phone connector" audio cables? USB? Bluetooth? Something else?
– David Foerster
Apr 27 at 21:15





How is the headset connected to the computer? Analogue "phone connector" audio cables? USB? Bluetooth? Something else?
– David Foerster
Apr 27 at 21:15













It seems allot like a "phone connector", but it has two separate ports for audio and microphone.
– Andrew Huffman
Apr 29 at 13:01




It seems allot like a "phone connector", but it has two separate ports for audio and microphone.
– Andrew Huffman
Apr 29 at 13:01















active

oldest

votes











Your Answer







StackExchange.ready(function()
var channelOptions =
tags: "".split(" "),
id: "89"
;
initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
// Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
createEditor();
);

else
createEditor();

);

function createEditor()
StackExchange.prepareEditor(
heartbeatType: 'answer',
convertImagesToLinks: true,
noModals: false,
showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
reputationToPostImages: 10,
bindNavPrevention: true,
postfix: "",
onDemand: true,
discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
);



);













 

draft saved


draft discarded


















StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1028568%2fcant-use-a-headset-in-ubuntu-mate%23new-answer', 'question_page');

);

Post as a guest



































active

oldest

votes













active

oldest

votes









active

oldest

votes






active

oldest

votes















 

draft saved


draft discarded















































 


draft saved


draft discarded














StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1028568%2fcant-use-a-headset-in-ubuntu-mate%23new-answer', 'question_page');

);

Post as a guest













































































Popular posts from this blog

Which professions warranted travel in Medieval times?

How do so many people here on Academia.SE, and in general, afford lavish higher education programs?

Trouble downloading packages list due to a “Hash sum mismatch” error