Dnsmasq - basic configuration

The name of the pictureThe name of the pictureThe name of the pictureClash Royale CLAN TAG#URR8PPP








up vote
1
down vote

favorite












I am trying run dnsmasq server in my local network for translating
name www.mydomain.dev to IP address 10.254.20.4.



I need this name to correct signing SSL certificates.
I tried ping host from local machine on which I have installed dnsmasq and
from remote machine (my laptop) by command



ping mydomain.dev 


but unfortunately it does not work.
Ping respond:




"Ping request could not find host mydomain.dev. Please check the name and try again."




  • In my laptop I have access to host by IP.

  • In laptop I have set primary DNS as 10.254.20.4 and second DNS as 8.8.8.8

In dnsmasq.config I have such configuration:



listen-address=127.0.0.1 

server=/dev/127.0.0.1

local=/localnet/

address=/www.mydomain.dev/10.254.20.4


What is wrong?
Any ideas?



Thanks in advance for any help,



Michał







share|improve this question






















  • I think it's due to the config listen-address=127.0.0.1 . It means that it listens to loopback interface only. I think you need to change it to listen to the LAN's IP address of your "local machine". wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/dnsmasq#DNS_cache_setup
    – Lok Lam Cheng
    Apr 26 at 14:31














up vote
1
down vote

favorite












I am trying run dnsmasq server in my local network for translating
name www.mydomain.dev to IP address 10.254.20.4.



I need this name to correct signing SSL certificates.
I tried ping host from local machine on which I have installed dnsmasq and
from remote machine (my laptop) by command



ping mydomain.dev 


but unfortunately it does not work.
Ping respond:




"Ping request could not find host mydomain.dev. Please check the name and try again."




  • In my laptop I have access to host by IP.

  • In laptop I have set primary DNS as 10.254.20.4 and second DNS as 8.8.8.8

In dnsmasq.config I have such configuration:



listen-address=127.0.0.1 

server=/dev/127.0.0.1

local=/localnet/

address=/www.mydomain.dev/10.254.20.4


What is wrong?
Any ideas?



Thanks in advance for any help,



Michał







share|improve this question






















  • I think it's due to the config listen-address=127.0.0.1 . It means that it listens to loopback interface only. I think you need to change it to listen to the LAN's IP address of your "local machine". wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/dnsmasq#DNS_cache_setup
    – Lok Lam Cheng
    Apr 26 at 14:31












up vote
1
down vote

favorite









up vote
1
down vote

favorite











I am trying run dnsmasq server in my local network for translating
name www.mydomain.dev to IP address 10.254.20.4.



I need this name to correct signing SSL certificates.
I tried ping host from local machine on which I have installed dnsmasq and
from remote machine (my laptop) by command



ping mydomain.dev 


but unfortunately it does not work.
Ping respond:




"Ping request could not find host mydomain.dev. Please check the name and try again."




  • In my laptop I have access to host by IP.

  • In laptop I have set primary DNS as 10.254.20.4 and second DNS as 8.8.8.8

In dnsmasq.config I have such configuration:



listen-address=127.0.0.1 

server=/dev/127.0.0.1

local=/localnet/

address=/www.mydomain.dev/10.254.20.4


What is wrong?
Any ideas?



Thanks in advance for any help,



Michał







share|improve this question














I am trying run dnsmasq server in my local network for translating
name www.mydomain.dev to IP address 10.254.20.4.



I need this name to correct signing SSL certificates.
I tried ping host from local machine on which I have installed dnsmasq and
from remote machine (my laptop) by command



ping mydomain.dev 


but unfortunately it does not work.
Ping respond:




"Ping request could not find host mydomain.dev. Please check the name and try again."




  • In my laptop I have access to host by IP.

  • In laptop I have set primary DNS as 10.254.20.4 and second DNS as 8.8.8.8

In dnsmasq.config I have such configuration:



listen-address=127.0.0.1 

server=/dev/127.0.0.1

local=/localnet/

address=/www.mydomain.dev/10.254.20.4


What is wrong?
Any ideas?



Thanks in advance for any help,



Michał









share|improve this question













share|improve this question




share|improve this question








edited Apr 26 at 14:15









Vlad Spirin

3203417




3203417










asked Apr 26 at 13:09









Michał

61




61











  • I think it's due to the config listen-address=127.0.0.1 . It means that it listens to loopback interface only. I think you need to change it to listen to the LAN's IP address of your "local machine". wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/dnsmasq#DNS_cache_setup
    – Lok Lam Cheng
    Apr 26 at 14:31
















  • I think it's due to the config listen-address=127.0.0.1 . It means that it listens to loopback interface only. I think you need to change it to listen to the LAN's IP address of your "local machine". wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/dnsmasq#DNS_cache_setup
    – Lok Lam Cheng
    Apr 26 at 14:31















I think it's due to the config listen-address=127.0.0.1 . It means that it listens to loopback interface only. I think you need to change it to listen to the LAN's IP address of your "local machine". wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/dnsmasq#DNS_cache_setup
– Lok Lam Cheng
Apr 26 at 14:31




I think it's due to the config listen-address=127.0.0.1 . It means that it listens to loopback interface only. I think you need to change it to listen to the LAN's IP address of your "local machine". wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/dnsmasq#DNS_cache_setup
– Lok Lam Cheng
Apr 26 at 14:31










1 Answer
1






active

oldest

votes

















up vote
1
down vote













server is a synonym for local



so your dnsmasq config would contain



listen-address=127.0.0.1 
local=/dev/
domain=dev


then open /etc/hosts and add



10.254.20.4 www.mydomain.dev


save and restart dnsmasq






share|improve this answer




















    Your Answer







    StackExchange.ready(function()
    var channelOptions =
    tags: "".split(" "),
    id: "89"
    ;
    initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

    StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
    // Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
    if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
    StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
    createEditor();
    );

    else
    createEditor();

    );

    function createEditor()
    StackExchange.prepareEditor(
    heartbeatType: 'answer',
    convertImagesToLinks: true,
    noModals: false,
    showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
    reputationToPostImages: 10,
    bindNavPrevention: true,
    postfix: "",
    onDemand: true,
    discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
    ,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
    );



    );













     

    draft saved


    draft discarded


















    StackExchange.ready(
    function ()
    StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1028407%2fdnsmasq-basic-configuration%23new-answer', 'question_page');

    );

    Post as a guest






























    1 Answer
    1






    active

    oldest

    votes








    1 Answer
    1






    active

    oldest

    votes









    active

    oldest

    votes






    active

    oldest

    votes








    up vote
    1
    down vote













    server is a synonym for local



    so your dnsmasq config would contain



    listen-address=127.0.0.1 
    local=/dev/
    domain=dev


    then open /etc/hosts and add



    10.254.20.4 www.mydomain.dev


    save and restart dnsmasq






    share|improve this answer
























      up vote
      1
      down vote













      server is a synonym for local



      so your dnsmasq config would contain



      listen-address=127.0.0.1 
      local=/dev/
      domain=dev


      then open /etc/hosts and add



      10.254.20.4 www.mydomain.dev


      save and restart dnsmasq






      share|improve this answer






















        up vote
        1
        down vote










        up vote
        1
        down vote









        server is a synonym for local



        so your dnsmasq config would contain



        listen-address=127.0.0.1 
        local=/dev/
        domain=dev


        then open /etc/hosts and add



        10.254.20.4 www.mydomain.dev


        save and restart dnsmasq






        share|improve this answer












        server is a synonym for local



        so your dnsmasq config would contain



        listen-address=127.0.0.1 
        local=/dev/
        domain=dev


        then open /etc/hosts and add



        10.254.20.4 www.mydomain.dev


        save and restart dnsmasq







        share|improve this answer












        share|improve this answer



        share|improve this answer










        answered Apr 26 at 14:30









        ptetteh227

        703115




        703115



























             

            draft saved


            draft discarded















































             


            draft saved


            draft discarded














            StackExchange.ready(
            function ()
            StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1028407%2fdnsmasq-basic-configuration%23new-answer', 'question_page');

            );

            Post as a guest













































































            Popular posts from this blog

            Which professions warranted travel in Medieval times?

            How do so many people here on Academia.SE, and in general, afford lavish higher education programs?

            Trouble downloading packages list due to a “Hash sum mismatch” error