How do I protect my scripts/programs when server offsite?

The name of the pictureThe name of the pictureThe name of the pictureClash Royale CLAN TAG#URR8PPP








up vote
0
down vote

favorite












I want to protect a server that resides at a clients site (they have physical access). I don't want anyone accessing the files/programs/scripts etc. Currently I have a strong password on the user account but that doesn't protect it if someone boots a live cd. So I chose to encrypt the entire disk (LVM) as well. The problem is when the computer restarts (power outage) the programs don't automatically start as the o/s is waiting for the password.



Is there a way to autoboot a encrypted lvm headless machine or am I going about this the wrong way?



I thought maybe a small partition or thumbdrive with an encrypted password file saved but not sure how luks would unencrypt the file to get the password to inject back into the o/s so it could boot.
I did see some ppl post about using Mandos & tang but those seem to require another server. This solution wont work.



How do I protect those scripts and programs from a livecd boot?



Thanks







share|improve this question
















  • 1




    One of the major basic tenets of information security is that physical access trumps everything. While you might be able to get it secure enough, it won't be easy.
    – BillThePlatypus
    Apr 26 at 18:10














up vote
0
down vote

favorite












I want to protect a server that resides at a clients site (they have physical access). I don't want anyone accessing the files/programs/scripts etc. Currently I have a strong password on the user account but that doesn't protect it if someone boots a live cd. So I chose to encrypt the entire disk (LVM) as well. The problem is when the computer restarts (power outage) the programs don't automatically start as the o/s is waiting for the password.



Is there a way to autoboot a encrypted lvm headless machine or am I going about this the wrong way?



I thought maybe a small partition or thumbdrive with an encrypted password file saved but not sure how luks would unencrypt the file to get the password to inject back into the o/s so it could boot.
I did see some ppl post about using Mandos & tang but those seem to require another server. This solution wont work.



How do I protect those scripts and programs from a livecd boot?



Thanks







share|improve this question
















  • 1




    One of the major basic tenets of information security is that physical access trumps everything. While you might be able to get it secure enough, it won't be easy.
    – BillThePlatypus
    Apr 26 at 18:10












up vote
0
down vote

favorite









up vote
0
down vote

favorite











I want to protect a server that resides at a clients site (they have physical access). I don't want anyone accessing the files/programs/scripts etc. Currently I have a strong password on the user account but that doesn't protect it if someone boots a live cd. So I chose to encrypt the entire disk (LVM) as well. The problem is when the computer restarts (power outage) the programs don't automatically start as the o/s is waiting for the password.



Is there a way to autoboot a encrypted lvm headless machine or am I going about this the wrong way?



I thought maybe a small partition or thumbdrive with an encrypted password file saved but not sure how luks would unencrypt the file to get the password to inject back into the o/s so it could boot.
I did see some ppl post about using Mandos & tang but those seem to require another server. This solution wont work.



How do I protect those scripts and programs from a livecd boot?



Thanks







share|improve this question












I want to protect a server that resides at a clients site (they have physical access). I don't want anyone accessing the files/programs/scripts etc. Currently I have a strong password on the user account but that doesn't protect it if someone boots a live cd. So I chose to encrypt the entire disk (LVM) as well. The problem is when the computer restarts (power outage) the programs don't automatically start as the o/s is waiting for the password.



Is there a way to autoboot a encrypted lvm headless machine or am I going about this the wrong way?



I thought maybe a small partition or thumbdrive with an encrypted password file saved but not sure how luks would unencrypt the file to get the password to inject back into the o/s so it could boot.
I did see some ppl post about using Mandos & tang but those seem to require another server. This solution wont work.



How do I protect those scripts and programs from a livecd boot?



Thanks









share|improve this question











share|improve this question




share|improve this question










asked Apr 26 at 17:50









Chip

11




11







  • 1




    One of the major basic tenets of information security is that physical access trumps everything. While you might be able to get it secure enough, it won't be easy.
    – BillThePlatypus
    Apr 26 at 18:10












  • 1




    One of the major basic tenets of information security is that physical access trumps everything. While you might be able to get it secure enough, it won't be easy.
    – BillThePlatypus
    Apr 26 at 18:10







1




1




One of the major basic tenets of information security is that physical access trumps everything. While you might be able to get it secure enough, it won't be easy.
– BillThePlatypus
Apr 26 at 18:10




One of the major basic tenets of information security is that physical access trumps everything. While you might be able to get it secure enough, it won't be easy.
– BillThePlatypus
Apr 26 at 18:10















active

oldest

votes











Your Answer







StackExchange.ready(function()
var channelOptions =
tags: "".split(" "),
id: "89"
;
initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
// Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
createEditor();
);

else
createEditor();

);

function createEditor()
StackExchange.prepareEditor(
heartbeatType: 'answer',
convertImagesToLinks: true,
noModals: false,
showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
reputationToPostImages: 10,
bindNavPrevention: true,
postfix: "",
onDemand: true,
discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
);



);













 

draft saved


draft discarded


















StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1028492%2fhow-do-i-protect-my-scripts-programs-when-server-offsite%23new-answer', 'question_page');

);

Post as a guest



































active

oldest

votes













active

oldest

votes









active

oldest

votes






active

oldest

votes















 

draft saved


draft discarded















































 


draft saved


draft discarded














StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1028492%2fhow-do-i-protect-my-scripts-programs-when-server-offsite%23new-answer', 'question_page');

);

Post as a guest













































































Popular posts from this blog

Which professions warranted travel in Medieval times?

How do so many people here on Academia.SE, and in general, afford lavish higher education programs?

Trouble downloading packages list due to a “Hash sum mismatch” error