nmcli the WiFi network could not be found

The name of the pictureThe name of the pictureThe name of the pictureClash Royale CLAN TAG#URR8PPP








up vote
1
down vote

favorite












I'm running a headless device that I want to connect to wifi(it's currently on ethernet), so I'm using nmcli. I scan for connections with the following:



sudo nmcli dev wifi rescan
sudo nmcli dev wifi list


and the WiFi network I want is at 95% strength. So, I connect with:



sudo nmcli dev wifi connect "SSID" password "wifipassword"


and I get the following error:



Error: Connection activation failed: (53) The Wi-Fi network could not be found.


and I've tried copying and pasting from list to ensure I did not mistype the SSID, and it still does not work. It works fine from other devices that use Ubuntu and network-manager, so I know it's not the router.



How can it not find the network when I connect, but find it just fine when scanning, and how do I fix this?







share|improve this question




















  • Are you still having problems with this? What version of Ubuntu are you using? What happens if you try connecting to a tether on your phone?
    – xiota
    May 13 at 23:04














up vote
1
down vote

favorite












I'm running a headless device that I want to connect to wifi(it's currently on ethernet), so I'm using nmcli. I scan for connections with the following:



sudo nmcli dev wifi rescan
sudo nmcli dev wifi list


and the WiFi network I want is at 95% strength. So, I connect with:



sudo nmcli dev wifi connect "SSID" password "wifipassword"


and I get the following error:



Error: Connection activation failed: (53) The Wi-Fi network could not be found.


and I've tried copying and pasting from list to ensure I did not mistype the SSID, and it still does not work. It works fine from other devices that use Ubuntu and network-manager, so I know it's not the router.



How can it not find the network when I connect, but find it just fine when scanning, and how do I fix this?







share|improve this question




















  • Are you still having problems with this? What version of Ubuntu are you using? What happens if you try connecting to a tether on your phone?
    – xiota
    May 13 at 23:04












up vote
1
down vote

favorite









up vote
1
down vote

favorite











I'm running a headless device that I want to connect to wifi(it's currently on ethernet), so I'm using nmcli. I scan for connections with the following:



sudo nmcli dev wifi rescan
sudo nmcli dev wifi list


and the WiFi network I want is at 95% strength. So, I connect with:



sudo nmcli dev wifi connect "SSID" password "wifipassword"


and I get the following error:



Error: Connection activation failed: (53) The Wi-Fi network could not be found.


and I've tried copying and pasting from list to ensure I did not mistype the SSID, and it still does not work. It works fine from other devices that use Ubuntu and network-manager, so I know it's not the router.



How can it not find the network when I connect, but find it just fine when scanning, and how do I fix this?







share|improve this question












I'm running a headless device that I want to connect to wifi(it's currently on ethernet), so I'm using nmcli. I scan for connections with the following:



sudo nmcli dev wifi rescan
sudo nmcli dev wifi list


and the WiFi network I want is at 95% strength. So, I connect with:



sudo nmcli dev wifi connect "SSID" password "wifipassword"


and I get the following error:



Error: Connection activation failed: (53) The Wi-Fi network could not be found.


and I've tried copying and pasting from list to ensure I did not mistype the SSID, and it still does not work. It works fine from other devices that use Ubuntu and network-manager, so I know it's not the router.



How can it not find the network when I connect, but find it just fine when scanning, and how do I fix this?









share|improve this question











share|improve this question




share|improve this question










asked Apr 27 at 1:06









NerdOfLinux

1,499830




1,499830











  • Are you still having problems with this? What version of Ubuntu are you using? What happens if you try connecting to a tether on your phone?
    – xiota
    May 13 at 23:04
















  • Are you still having problems with this? What version of Ubuntu are you using? What happens if you try connecting to a tether on your phone?
    – xiota
    May 13 at 23:04















Are you still having problems with this? What version of Ubuntu are you using? What happens if you try connecting to a tether on your phone?
– xiota
May 13 at 23:04




Are you still having problems with this? What version of Ubuntu are you using? What happens if you try connecting to a tether on your phone?
– xiota
May 13 at 23:04










1 Answer
1






active

oldest

votes

















up vote
0
down vote



accepted










I never found a fix for the issue, but I believe I found the problem. I was using a virtual interface made with



sudo iw dev wlan0 interface add ap0 type __ap


to host a WiFi network, but ap0 and wlan0 had the same MAC address. Due to a problem with the RPi3 drivers, I couldn't change the MAC address(I tried macchanged -e ap0), but if I figured out how to, I'm pretty sure the issue would have been resolved.






share|improve this answer




















    Your Answer







    StackExchange.ready(function()
    var channelOptions =
    tags: "".split(" "),
    id: "89"
    ;
    initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

    StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
    // Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
    if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
    StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
    createEditor();
    );

    else
    createEditor();

    );

    function createEditor()
    StackExchange.prepareEditor(
    heartbeatType: 'answer',
    convertImagesToLinks: true,
    noModals: false,
    showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
    reputationToPostImages: 10,
    bindNavPrevention: true,
    postfix: "",
    onDemand: true,
    discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
    ,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
    );



    );













     

    draft saved


    draft discarded


















    StackExchange.ready(
    function ()
    StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1028578%2fnmcli-the-wifi-network-could-not-be-found%23new-answer', 'question_page');

    );

    Post as a guest






























    1 Answer
    1






    active

    oldest

    votes








    1 Answer
    1






    active

    oldest

    votes









    active

    oldest

    votes






    active

    oldest

    votes








    up vote
    0
    down vote



    accepted










    I never found a fix for the issue, but I believe I found the problem. I was using a virtual interface made with



    sudo iw dev wlan0 interface add ap0 type __ap


    to host a WiFi network, but ap0 and wlan0 had the same MAC address. Due to a problem with the RPi3 drivers, I couldn't change the MAC address(I tried macchanged -e ap0), but if I figured out how to, I'm pretty sure the issue would have been resolved.






    share|improve this answer
























      up vote
      0
      down vote



      accepted










      I never found a fix for the issue, but I believe I found the problem. I was using a virtual interface made with



      sudo iw dev wlan0 interface add ap0 type __ap


      to host a WiFi network, but ap0 and wlan0 had the same MAC address. Due to a problem with the RPi3 drivers, I couldn't change the MAC address(I tried macchanged -e ap0), but if I figured out how to, I'm pretty sure the issue would have been resolved.






      share|improve this answer






















        up vote
        0
        down vote



        accepted







        up vote
        0
        down vote



        accepted






        I never found a fix for the issue, but I believe I found the problem. I was using a virtual interface made with



        sudo iw dev wlan0 interface add ap0 type __ap


        to host a WiFi network, but ap0 and wlan0 had the same MAC address. Due to a problem with the RPi3 drivers, I couldn't change the MAC address(I tried macchanged -e ap0), but if I figured out how to, I'm pretty sure the issue would have been resolved.






        share|improve this answer












        I never found a fix for the issue, but I believe I found the problem. I was using a virtual interface made with



        sudo iw dev wlan0 interface add ap0 type __ap


        to host a WiFi network, but ap0 and wlan0 had the same MAC address. Due to a problem with the RPi3 drivers, I couldn't change the MAC address(I tried macchanged -e ap0), but if I figured out how to, I'm pretty sure the issue would have been resolved.







        share|improve this answer












        share|improve this answer



        share|improve this answer










        answered May 13 at 23:07









        NerdOfLinux

        1,499830




        1,499830



























             

            draft saved


            draft discarded















































             


            draft saved


            draft discarded














            StackExchange.ready(
            function ()
            StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1028578%2fnmcli-the-wifi-network-could-not-be-found%23new-answer', 'question_page');

            );

            Post as a guest













































































            Popular posts from this blog

            Which professions warranted travel in Medieval times?

            How do so many people here on Academia.SE, and in general, afford lavish higher education programs?

            Trouble downloading packages list due to a “Hash sum mismatch” error