Why is Ubuntu 18.04 halting after login since upgrade from 17.10? [duplicate]

The name of the pictureThe name of the pictureThe name of the pictureClash Royale CLAN TAG#URR8PPP








up vote
1
down vote

favorite













This question already has an answer here:



  • Can't start ubuntu-desktop after upgrade to 18.04

    1 answer



  • How do I install the Nvidia drivers?

    13 answers



I have an Acer Aspire VX 15 (Intel Core i7, NVidia Geforce GTX 1050, 32 Gb RAM, HDD 1Tb).



I had Ubuntu 17.10 installed and everything was working fine. Then I upgraded to Ubuntu 18.04 and now, after I login via GDM (in graphics mode) the system halts. It becomes completely frozen.



However, if I press Ctrl+Alt+F2, switch to text mode, and then login in the console, the system works fine (in text mode) and do not halt.



Does anybody else has a similar problem?



Do you know how to fix this or how I can diagnose the problem?







share|improve this question














marked as duplicate by David Foerster, N0rbert, karel, Community♦ May 18 at 14:30


This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.














  • What exactly do you see on the screen when the system "freezes" after log-in into the graphical session?
    – David Foerster
    May 15 at 16:14










  • The Gnome desktop loads and for a few seconds I am able to use the system. Then, the screen freezes with whatever it is displaying (file manager, gedit, or just the desktop if I have not started any application).
    – Jeff
    May 16 at 12:10














up vote
1
down vote

favorite













This question already has an answer here:



  • Can't start ubuntu-desktop after upgrade to 18.04

    1 answer



  • How do I install the Nvidia drivers?

    13 answers



I have an Acer Aspire VX 15 (Intel Core i7, NVidia Geforce GTX 1050, 32 Gb RAM, HDD 1Tb).



I had Ubuntu 17.10 installed and everything was working fine. Then I upgraded to Ubuntu 18.04 and now, after I login via GDM (in graphics mode) the system halts. It becomes completely frozen.



However, if I press Ctrl+Alt+F2, switch to text mode, and then login in the console, the system works fine (in text mode) and do not halt.



Does anybody else has a similar problem?



Do you know how to fix this or how I can diagnose the problem?







share|improve this question














marked as duplicate by David Foerster, N0rbert, karel, Community♦ May 18 at 14:30


This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.














  • What exactly do you see on the screen when the system "freezes" after log-in into the graphical session?
    – David Foerster
    May 15 at 16:14










  • The Gnome desktop loads and for a few seconds I am able to use the system. Then, the screen freezes with whatever it is displaying (file manager, gedit, or just the desktop if I have not started any application).
    – Jeff
    May 16 at 12:10












up vote
1
down vote

favorite









up vote
1
down vote

favorite












This question already has an answer here:



  • Can't start ubuntu-desktop after upgrade to 18.04

    1 answer



  • How do I install the Nvidia drivers?

    13 answers



I have an Acer Aspire VX 15 (Intel Core i7, NVidia Geforce GTX 1050, 32 Gb RAM, HDD 1Tb).



I had Ubuntu 17.10 installed and everything was working fine. Then I upgraded to Ubuntu 18.04 and now, after I login via GDM (in graphics mode) the system halts. It becomes completely frozen.



However, if I press Ctrl+Alt+F2, switch to text mode, and then login in the console, the system works fine (in text mode) and do not halt.



Does anybody else has a similar problem?



Do you know how to fix this or how I can diagnose the problem?







share|improve this question















This question already has an answer here:



  • Can't start ubuntu-desktop after upgrade to 18.04

    1 answer



  • How do I install the Nvidia drivers?

    13 answers



I have an Acer Aspire VX 15 (Intel Core i7, NVidia Geforce GTX 1050, 32 Gb RAM, HDD 1Tb).



I had Ubuntu 17.10 installed and everything was working fine. Then I upgraded to Ubuntu 18.04 and now, after I login via GDM (in graphics mode) the system halts. It becomes completely frozen.



However, if I press Ctrl+Alt+F2, switch to text mode, and then login in the console, the system works fine (in text mode) and do not halt.



Does anybody else has a similar problem?



Do you know how to fix this or how I can diagnose the problem?





This question already has an answer here:



  • Can't start ubuntu-desktop after upgrade to 18.04

    1 answer



  • How do I install the Nvidia drivers?

    13 answers









share|improve this question













share|improve this question




share|improve this question








edited May 17 at 18:44









Zanna

47.9k13118227




47.9k13118227










asked May 15 at 14:46









Jeff

1466




1466




marked as duplicate by David Foerster, N0rbert, karel, Community♦ May 18 at 14:30


This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.






marked as duplicate by David Foerster, N0rbert, karel, Community♦ May 18 at 14:30


This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.













  • What exactly do you see on the screen when the system "freezes" after log-in into the graphical session?
    – David Foerster
    May 15 at 16:14










  • The Gnome desktop loads and for a few seconds I am able to use the system. Then, the screen freezes with whatever it is displaying (file manager, gedit, or just the desktop if I have not started any application).
    – Jeff
    May 16 at 12:10
















  • What exactly do you see on the screen when the system "freezes" after log-in into the graphical session?
    – David Foerster
    May 15 at 16:14










  • The Gnome desktop loads and for a few seconds I am able to use the system. Then, the screen freezes with whatever it is displaying (file manager, gedit, or just the desktop if I have not started any application).
    – Jeff
    May 16 at 12:10















What exactly do you see on the screen when the system "freezes" after log-in into the graphical session?
– David Foerster
May 15 at 16:14




What exactly do you see on the screen when the system "freezes" after log-in into the graphical session?
– David Foerster
May 15 at 16:14












The Gnome desktop loads and for a few seconds I am able to use the system. Then, the screen freezes with whatever it is displaying (file manager, gedit, or just the desktop if I have not started any application).
– Jeff
May 16 at 12:10




The Gnome desktop loads and for a few seconds I am able to use the system. Then, the screen freezes with whatever it is displaying (file manager, gedit, or just the desktop if I have not started any application).
– Jeff
May 16 at 12:10










1 Answer
1






active

oldest

votes

















up vote
1
down vote













I seems the problem was with the graphics driver. The default installation uses the Nouveau driver. After I installed the NVIDIA recommended driver (nvidia-driver-390) everything seems to be working fine.






share|improve this answer





























    1 Answer
    1






    active

    oldest

    votes








    1 Answer
    1






    active

    oldest

    votes









    active

    oldest

    votes






    active

    oldest

    votes








    up vote
    1
    down vote













    I seems the problem was with the graphics driver. The default installation uses the Nouveau driver. After I installed the NVIDIA recommended driver (nvidia-driver-390) everything seems to be working fine.






    share|improve this answer


























      up vote
      1
      down vote













      I seems the problem was with the graphics driver. The default installation uses the Nouveau driver. After I installed the NVIDIA recommended driver (nvidia-driver-390) everything seems to be working fine.






      share|improve this answer
























        up vote
        1
        down vote










        up vote
        1
        down vote









        I seems the problem was with the graphics driver. The default installation uses the Nouveau driver. After I installed the NVIDIA recommended driver (nvidia-driver-390) everything seems to be working fine.






        share|improve this answer














        I seems the problem was with the graphics driver. The default installation uses the Nouveau driver. After I installed the NVIDIA recommended driver (nvidia-driver-390) everything seems to be working fine.







        share|improve this answer














        share|improve this answer



        share|improve this answer








        edited May 17 at 18:43









        Zanna

        47.9k13118227




        47.9k13118227










        answered May 16 at 13:14









        Jeff

        1466




        1466












            Popular posts from this blog

            Which professions warranted travel in Medieval times?

            How do so many people here on Academia.SE, and in general, afford lavish higher education programs?

            Trouble downloading packages list due to a “Hash sum mismatch” error