access usb hard drive through terminal

The name of the pictureThe name of the pictureThe name of the pictureClash Royale CLAN TAG#URR8PPP








up vote
0
down vote

favorite












I need to find a document which contains an specific word. The document is in my external hard drive but there are thousands of documents in it and I cannot find it. I think that using the command 'grep' I'll be able to find it, but when I try to access my external hard drive via the path cd /media/.... the terminal returns the message: "The file or directory doesn't exist". However, when I run the command 'ls' the hard drive is shown (in green) together with the other USB drives. Also, when I try to access the other usb drives there is no problem at all.



What am I doing wrong? How can I access the external hard drive?



Thank you very much in advance



Joan







share|improve this question




















  • Can you add the output of ls to your question, formatted as code? And also add the full command you entered that gave you the error message.
    – Emily
    May 16 at 0:31














up vote
0
down vote

favorite












I need to find a document which contains an specific word. The document is in my external hard drive but there are thousands of documents in it and I cannot find it. I think that using the command 'grep' I'll be able to find it, but when I try to access my external hard drive via the path cd /media/.... the terminal returns the message: "The file or directory doesn't exist". However, when I run the command 'ls' the hard drive is shown (in green) together with the other USB drives. Also, when I try to access the other usb drives there is no problem at all.



What am I doing wrong? How can I access the external hard drive?



Thank you very much in advance



Joan







share|improve this question




















  • Can you add the output of ls to your question, formatted as code? And also add the full command you entered that gave you the error message.
    – Emily
    May 16 at 0:31












up vote
0
down vote

favorite









up vote
0
down vote

favorite











I need to find a document which contains an specific word. The document is in my external hard drive but there are thousands of documents in it and I cannot find it. I think that using the command 'grep' I'll be able to find it, but when I try to access my external hard drive via the path cd /media/.... the terminal returns the message: "The file or directory doesn't exist". However, when I run the command 'ls' the hard drive is shown (in green) together with the other USB drives. Also, when I try to access the other usb drives there is no problem at all.



What am I doing wrong? How can I access the external hard drive?



Thank you very much in advance



Joan







share|improve this question












I need to find a document which contains an specific word. The document is in my external hard drive but there are thousands of documents in it and I cannot find it. I think that using the command 'grep' I'll be able to find it, but when I try to access my external hard drive via the path cd /media/.... the terminal returns the message: "The file or directory doesn't exist". However, when I run the command 'ls' the hard drive is shown (in green) together with the other USB drives. Also, when I try to access the other usb drives there is no problem at all.



What am I doing wrong? How can I access the external hard drive?



Thank you very much in advance



Joan









share|improve this question











share|improve this question




share|improve this question










asked May 15 at 18:14









carlus ventura francos

1




1











  • Can you add the output of ls to your question, formatted as code? And also add the full command you entered that gave you the error message.
    – Emily
    May 16 at 0:31
















  • Can you add the output of ls to your question, formatted as code? And also add the full command you entered that gave you the error message.
    – Emily
    May 16 at 0:31















Can you add the output of ls to your question, formatted as code? And also add the full command you entered that gave you the error message.
– Emily
May 16 at 0:31




Can you add the output of ls to your question, formatted as code? And also add the full command you entered that gave you the error message.
– Emily
May 16 at 0:31










1 Answer
1






active

oldest

votes

















up vote
0
down vote













Unmount the USB flash drive, unplug it, and do



lsusb && dmesg | tail


Plug it back in and press F3 then Enter



compare the results and identify where your flashdrive automounts to; let's say it automounts to /dev/sdc1



Then, perform this command (and change /dev/sdc1 to reflect where that USB drive automounts to)



sudo mkdir /media/usb && sudo mount /dev/sdc1 /media/usb


Then you should be able to grep the contents of /media/usb






share|improve this answer




















    Your Answer







    StackExchange.ready(function()
    var channelOptions =
    tags: "".split(" "),
    id: "89"
    ;
    initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

    StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
    // Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
    if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
    StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
    createEditor();
    );

    else
    createEditor();

    );

    function createEditor()
    StackExchange.prepareEditor(
    heartbeatType: 'answer',
    convertImagesToLinks: true,
    noModals: false,
    showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
    reputationToPostImages: 10,
    bindNavPrevention: true,
    postfix: "",
    onDemand: true,
    discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
    ,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
    );



    );








     

    draft saved


    draft discarded


















    StackExchange.ready(
    function ()
    StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1036643%2faccess-usb-hard-drive-through-terminal%23new-answer', 'question_page');

    );

    Post as a guest






























    1 Answer
    1






    active

    oldest

    votes








    1 Answer
    1






    active

    oldest

    votes









    active

    oldest

    votes






    active

    oldest

    votes








    up vote
    0
    down vote













    Unmount the USB flash drive, unplug it, and do



    lsusb && dmesg | tail


    Plug it back in and press F3 then Enter



    compare the results and identify where your flashdrive automounts to; let's say it automounts to /dev/sdc1



    Then, perform this command (and change /dev/sdc1 to reflect where that USB drive automounts to)



    sudo mkdir /media/usb && sudo mount /dev/sdc1 /media/usb


    Then you should be able to grep the contents of /media/usb






    share|improve this answer
























      up vote
      0
      down vote













      Unmount the USB flash drive, unplug it, and do



      lsusb && dmesg | tail


      Plug it back in and press F3 then Enter



      compare the results and identify where your flashdrive automounts to; let's say it automounts to /dev/sdc1



      Then, perform this command (and change /dev/sdc1 to reflect where that USB drive automounts to)



      sudo mkdir /media/usb && sudo mount /dev/sdc1 /media/usb


      Then you should be able to grep the contents of /media/usb






      share|improve this answer






















        up vote
        0
        down vote










        up vote
        0
        down vote









        Unmount the USB flash drive, unplug it, and do



        lsusb && dmesg | tail


        Plug it back in and press F3 then Enter



        compare the results and identify where your flashdrive automounts to; let's say it automounts to /dev/sdc1



        Then, perform this command (and change /dev/sdc1 to reflect where that USB drive automounts to)



        sudo mkdir /media/usb && sudo mount /dev/sdc1 /media/usb


        Then you should be able to grep the contents of /media/usb






        share|improve this answer












        Unmount the USB flash drive, unplug it, and do



        lsusb && dmesg | tail


        Plug it back in and press F3 then Enter



        compare the results and identify where your flashdrive automounts to; let's say it automounts to /dev/sdc1



        Then, perform this command (and change /dev/sdc1 to reflect where that USB drive automounts to)



        sudo mkdir /media/usb && sudo mount /dev/sdc1 /media/usb


        Then you should be able to grep the contents of /media/usb







        share|improve this answer












        share|improve this answer



        share|improve this answer










        answered May 15 at 18:27









        K7AAY

        3,73221443




        3,73221443






















             

            draft saved


            draft discarded


























             


            draft saved


            draft discarded














            StackExchange.ready(
            function ()
            StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1036643%2faccess-usb-hard-drive-through-terminal%23new-answer', 'question_page');

            );

            Post as a guest













































































            Popular posts from this blog

            Which professions warranted travel in Medieval times?

            How do so many people here on Academia.SE, and in general, afford lavish higher education programs?

            Trouble downloading packages list due to a “Hash sum mismatch” error