18.04: when changing region / language twice, I can start nautilus - otherwise not

The name of the pictureThe name of the pictureThe name of the pictureClash Royale CLAN TAG#URR8PPP








up vote
0
down vote

favorite












I can't start Nautilus and Terminal and I need to type in my password when starting Chrome to access the password keyring.



When I go to Settings / Region & Language and change the Language from English (US) to English (GB) and then logout, login again and change the Language back to English (US) and logout / login again, I can start Terminal/Nautilus exactly once again.



After that I have to repeat this procedure to be able to start them again.



enter image description here



This is the output when starting the apps works:



The output of locale



LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LANGUAGE=en_US:en
LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_TIME=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_NAME=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_ADDRESS=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_TELEPHONE=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_MEASUREMENT=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_IDENTIFICATION=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_ALL=


The output of cat /etc/default/locale



LANG=en_US.utf8


This is the output when starting the apps doesn't work:



The output of locale



LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LANGUAGE=en_US:en
LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_TIME=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_NAME=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_ADDRESS=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_TELEPHONE=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_MEASUREMENT=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_IDENTIFICATION=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_ALL=


The output of cat /etc/default/locale:



LANG=en_US.utf8


Looks quite similar...







share|improve this question






















  • This sounds very confusing. Which language are you talking about? The display language or the keyboard layout?
    – Gunnar Hjalmarsson
    May 15 at 19:00










  • @GunnarHjalmarsson I updated the original question.
    – Alexander Zeitler
    May 15 at 19:13










  • Ok.. Can you please edit your question again and show us what these two commands output: 1. locale 2. cat /etc/default/locale
    – Gunnar Hjalmarsson
    May 15 at 19:20










  • @GunnarHjalmarsson I updated the question again.
    – Alexander Zeitler
    May 15 at 19:39










  • Looks quite normal, which makes it very odd that switching the language back and forth makes a difference. I'm out of ideas for now.
    – Gunnar Hjalmarsson
    May 15 at 19:44














up vote
0
down vote

favorite












I can't start Nautilus and Terminal and I need to type in my password when starting Chrome to access the password keyring.



When I go to Settings / Region & Language and change the Language from English (US) to English (GB) and then logout, login again and change the Language back to English (US) and logout / login again, I can start Terminal/Nautilus exactly once again.



After that I have to repeat this procedure to be able to start them again.



enter image description here



This is the output when starting the apps works:



The output of locale



LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LANGUAGE=en_US:en
LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_TIME=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_NAME=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_ADDRESS=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_TELEPHONE=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_MEASUREMENT=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_IDENTIFICATION=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_ALL=


The output of cat /etc/default/locale



LANG=en_US.utf8


This is the output when starting the apps doesn't work:



The output of locale



LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LANGUAGE=en_US:en
LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_TIME=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_NAME=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_ADDRESS=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_TELEPHONE=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_MEASUREMENT=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_IDENTIFICATION=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_ALL=


The output of cat /etc/default/locale:



LANG=en_US.utf8


Looks quite similar...







share|improve this question






















  • This sounds very confusing. Which language are you talking about? The display language or the keyboard layout?
    – Gunnar Hjalmarsson
    May 15 at 19:00










  • @GunnarHjalmarsson I updated the original question.
    – Alexander Zeitler
    May 15 at 19:13










  • Ok.. Can you please edit your question again and show us what these two commands output: 1. locale 2. cat /etc/default/locale
    – Gunnar Hjalmarsson
    May 15 at 19:20










  • @GunnarHjalmarsson I updated the question again.
    – Alexander Zeitler
    May 15 at 19:39










  • Looks quite normal, which makes it very odd that switching the language back and forth makes a difference. I'm out of ideas for now.
    – Gunnar Hjalmarsson
    May 15 at 19:44












up vote
0
down vote

favorite









up vote
0
down vote

favorite











I can't start Nautilus and Terminal and I need to type in my password when starting Chrome to access the password keyring.



When I go to Settings / Region & Language and change the Language from English (US) to English (GB) and then logout, login again and change the Language back to English (US) and logout / login again, I can start Terminal/Nautilus exactly once again.



After that I have to repeat this procedure to be able to start them again.



enter image description here



This is the output when starting the apps works:



The output of locale



LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LANGUAGE=en_US:en
LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_TIME=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_NAME=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_ADDRESS=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_TELEPHONE=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_MEASUREMENT=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_IDENTIFICATION=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_ALL=


The output of cat /etc/default/locale



LANG=en_US.utf8


This is the output when starting the apps doesn't work:



The output of locale



LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LANGUAGE=en_US:en
LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_TIME=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_NAME=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_ADDRESS=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_TELEPHONE=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_MEASUREMENT=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_IDENTIFICATION=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_ALL=


The output of cat /etc/default/locale:



LANG=en_US.utf8


Looks quite similar...







share|improve this question














I can't start Nautilus and Terminal and I need to type in my password when starting Chrome to access the password keyring.



When I go to Settings / Region & Language and change the Language from English (US) to English (GB) and then logout, login again and change the Language back to English (US) and logout / login again, I can start Terminal/Nautilus exactly once again.



After that I have to repeat this procedure to be able to start them again.



enter image description here



This is the output when starting the apps works:



The output of locale



LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LANGUAGE=en_US:en
LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_TIME=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_NAME=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_ADDRESS=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_TELEPHONE=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_MEASUREMENT=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_IDENTIFICATION=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_ALL=


The output of cat /etc/default/locale



LANG=en_US.utf8


This is the output when starting the apps doesn't work:



The output of locale



LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LANGUAGE=en_US:en
LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_TIME=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_NAME=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_ADDRESS=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_TELEPHONE=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_MEASUREMENT=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_IDENTIFICATION=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_ALL=


The output of cat /etc/default/locale:



LANG=en_US.utf8


Looks quite similar...









share|improve this question













share|improve this question




share|improve this question








edited May 15 at 19:39

























asked May 15 at 18:53









Alexander Zeitler

4452522




4452522











  • This sounds very confusing. Which language are you talking about? The display language or the keyboard layout?
    – Gunnar Hjalmarsson
    May 15 at 19:00










  • @GunnarHjalmarsson I updated the original question.
    – Alexander Zeitler
    May 15 at 19:13










  • Ok.. Can you please edit your question again and show us what these two commands output: 1. locale 2. cat /etc/default/locale
    – Gunnar Hjalmarsson
    May 15 at 19:20










  • @GunnarHjalmarsson I updated the question again.
    – Alexander Zeitler
    May 15 at 19:39










  • Looks quite normal, which makes it very odd that switching the language back and forth makes a difference. I'm out of ideas for now.
    – Gunnar Hjalmarsson
    May 15 at 19:44
















  • This sounds very confusing. Which language are you talking about? The display language or the keyboard layout?
    – Gunnar Hjalmarsson
    May 15 at 19:00










  • @GunnarHjalmarsson I updated the original question.
    – Alexander Zeitler
    May 15 at 19:13










  • Ok.. Can you please edit your question again and show us what these two commands output: 1. locale 2. cat /etc/default/locale
    – Gunnar Hjalmarsson
    May 15 at 19:20










  • @GunnarHjalmarsson I updated the question again.
    – Alexander Zeitler
    May 15 at 19:39










  • Looks quite normal, which makes it very odd that switching the language back and forth makes a difference. I'm out of ideas for now.
    – Gunnar Hjalmarsson
    May 15 at 19:44















This sounds very confusing. Which language are you talking about? The display language or the keyboard layout?
– Gunnar Hjalmarsson
May 15 at 19:00




This sounds very confusing. Which language are you talking about? The display language or the keyboard layout?
– Gunnar Hjalmarsson
May 15 at 19:00












@GunnarHjalmarsson I updated the original question.
– Alexander Zeitler
May 15 at 19:13




@GunnarHjalmarsson I updated the original question.
– Alexander Zeitler
May 15 at 19:13












Ok.. Can you please edit your question again and show us what these two commands output: 1. locale 2. cat /etc/default/locale
– Gunnar Hjalmarsson
May 15 at 19:20




Ok.. Can you please edit your question again and show us what these two commands output: 1. locale 2. cat /etc/default/locale
– Gunnar Hjalmarsson
May 15 at 19:20












@GunnarHjalmarsson I updated the question again.
– Alexander Zeitler
May 15 at 19:39




@GunnarHjalmarsson I updated the question again.
– Alexander Zeitler
May 15 at 19:39












Looks quite normal, which makes it very odd that switching the language back and forth makes a difference. I'm out of ideas for now.
– Gunnar Hjalmarsson
May 15 at 19:44




Looks quite normal, which makes it very odd that switching the language back and forth makes a difference. I'm out of ideas for now.
– Gunnar Hjalmarsson
May 15 at 19:44















active

oldest

votes











Your Answer







StackExchange.ready(function()
var channelOptions =
tags: "".split(" "),
id: "89"
;
initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
// Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
createEditor();
);

else
createEditor();

);

function createEditor()
StackExchange.prepareEditor(
heartbeatType: 'answer',
convertImagesToLinks: true,
noModals: false,
showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
reputationToPostImages: 10,
bindNavPrevention: true,
postfix: "",
onDemand: true,
discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
);



);








 

draft saved


draft discarded


















StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1036660%2f18-04-when-changing-region-language-twice-i-can-start-nautilus-otherwise-n%23new-answer', 'question_page');

);

Post as a guest



































active

oldest

votes













active

oldest

votes









active

oldest

votes






active

oldest

votes










 

draft saved


draft discarded


























 


draft saved


draft discarded














StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1036660%2f18-04-when-changing-region-language-twice-i-can-start-nautilus-otherwise-n%23new-answer', 'question_page');

);

Post as a guest













































































Popular posts from this blog

Which professions warranted travel in Medieval times?

How do so many people here on Academia.SE, and in general, afford lavish higher education programs?

Trouble downloading packages list due to a “Hash sum mismatch” error