Mitigation for gvfs memory leak?

The name of the pictureThe name of the pictureThe name of the pictureClash Royale CLAN TAG#URR8PPP








up vote
4
down vote

favorite
2












I have a workflow like this: I fire up my Win7 virtual machine, connect my smartphone, and run Samsung Smartswitch. This worked great in 14.04 LTS.



In 18.04 LTS...not so much. There's a giant memory leak in gvfsd-mtp that hoovers up all 12G of my RAM and brings my system to a halt.



There are bugs related to this and I've reported another. My question is, can there be any mitigation for this? Is there a way to fence in gvfs so it cannot use up all the RAM?







share|improve this question




















  • I have the same issue. Any news?
    – Madh
    Jun 17 at 13:31






  • 1




    New kernel on 18.04 did not help. Neither did a workaround I found on superuser to limit memory use by process :(
    – Organic Marble
    Jun 17 at 14:15






  • 1




    In my case I can stop gvfsd-mtp process (pkill -STOP gvfsd-mtp) to avoid the memory increase.
    – Madh
    Jun 17 at 14:57










  • Thanks. As I was writing this I realized I was probably doing the workaround wrong - I was limiting virtualbox and it should have been gvfs. I won't be able to try it again for a few days
    – Organic Marble
    Jun 17 at 18:22










  • I confirm the issue.
    – markroxor
    Jul 5 at 10:48














up vote
4
down vote

favorite
2












I have a workflow like this: I fire up my Win7 virtual machine, connect my smartphone, and run Samsung Smartswitch. This worked great in 14.04 LTS.



In 18.04 LTS...not so much. There's a giant memory leak in gvfsd-mtp that hoovers up all 12G of my RAM and brings my system to a halt.



There are bugs related to this and I've reported another. My question is, can there be any mitigation for this? Is there a way to fence in gvfs so it cannot use up all the RAM?







share|improve this question




















  • I have the same issue. Any news?
    – Madh
    Jun 17 at 13:31






  • 1




    New kernel on 18.04 did not help. Neither did a workaround I found on superuser to limit memory use by process :(
    – Organic Marble
    Jun 17 at 14:15






  • 1




    In my case I can stop gvfsd-mtp process (pkill -STOP gvfsd-mtp) to avoid the memory increase.
    – Madh
    Jun 17 at 14:57










  • Thanks. As I was writing this I realized I was probably doing the workaround wrong - I was limiting virtualbox and it should have been gvfs. I won't be able to try it again for a few days
    – Organic Marble
    Jun 17 at 18:22










  • I confirm the issue.
    – markroxor
    Jul 5 at 10:48












up vote
4
down vote

favorite
2









up vote
4
down vote

favorite
2






2





I have a workflow like this: I fire up my Win7 virtual machine, connect my smartphone, and run Samsung Smartswitch. This worked great in 14.04 LTS.



In 18.04 LTS...not so much. There's a giant memory leak in gvfsd-mtp that hoovers up all 12G of my RAM and brings my system to a halt.



There are bugs related to this and I've reported another. My question is, can there be any mitigation for this? Is there a way to fence in gvfs so it cannot use up all the RAM?







share|improve this question












I have a workflow like this: I fire up my Win7 virtual machine, connect my smartphone, and run Samsung Smartswitch. This worked great in 14.04 LTS.



In 18.04 LTS...not so much. There's a giant memory leak in gvfsd-mtp that hoovers up all 12G of my RAM and brings my system to a halt.



There are bugs related to this and I've reported another. My question is, can there be any mitigation for this? Is there a way to fence in gvfs so it cannot use up all the RAM?









share|improve this question











share|improve this question




share|improve this question










asked May 15 at 17:48









Organic Marble

9,67763053




9,67763053











  • I have the same issue. Any news?
    – Madh
    Jun 17 at 13:31






  • 1




    New kernel on 18.04 did not help. Neither did a workaround I found on superuser to limit memory use by process :(
    – Organic Marble
    Jun 17 at 14:15






  • 1




    In my case I can stop gvfsd-mtp process (pkill -STOP gvfsd-mtp) to avoid the memory increase.
    – Madh
    Jun 17 at 14:57










  • Thanks. As I was writing this I realized I was probably doing the workaround wrong - I was limiting virtualbox and it should have been gvfs. I won't be able to try it again for a few days
    – Organic Marble
    Jun 17 at 18:22










  • I confirm the issue.
    – markroxor
    Jul 5 at 10:48
















  • I have the same issue. Any news?
    – Madh
    Jun 17 at 13:31






  • 1




    New kernel on 18.04 did not help. Neither did a workaround I found on superuser to limit memory use by process :(
    – Organic Marble
    Jun 17 at 14:15






  • 1




    In my case I can stop gvfsd-mtp process (pkill -STOP gvfsd-mtp) to avoid the memory increase.
    – Madh
    Jun 17 at 14:57










  • Thanks. As I was writing this I realized I was probably doing the workaround wrong - I was limiting virtualbox and it should have been gvfs. I won't be able to try it again for a few days
    – Organic Marble
    Jun 17 at 18:22










  • I confirm the issue.
    – markroxor
    Jul 5 at 10:48















I have the same issue. Any news?
– Madh
Jun 17 at 13:31




I have the same issue. Any news?
– Madh
Jun 17 at 13:31




1




1




New kernel on 18.04 did not help. Neither did a workaround I found on superuser to limit memory use by process :(
– Organic Marble
Jun 17 at 14:15




New kernel on 18.04 did not help. Neither did a workaround I found on superuser to limit memory use by process :(
– Organic Marble
Jun 17 at 14:15




1




1




In my case I can stop gvfsd-mtp process (pkill -STOP gvfsd-mtp) to avoid the memory increase.
– Madh
Jun 17 at 14:57




In my case I can stop gvfsd-mtp process (pkill -STOP gvfsd-mtp) to avoid the memory increase.
– Madh
Jun 17 at 14:57












Thanks. As I was writing this I realized I was probably doing the workaround wrong - I was limiting virtualbox and it should have been gvfs. I won't be able to try it again for a few days
– Organic Marble
Jun 17 at 18:22




Thanks. As I was writing this I realized I was probably doing the workaround wrong - I was limiting virtualbox and it should have been gvfs. I won't be able to try it again for a few days
– Organic Marble
Jun 17 at 18:22












I confirm the issue.
– markroxor
Jul 5 at 10:48




I confirm the issue.
– markroxor
Jul 5 at 10:48










1 Answer
1






active

oldest

votes

















up vote
1
down vote



accepted










You can stop gvfsd-mtp process to avoid the memory increase:



pkill -STOP gvfsd-mtp





share|improve this answer




















    Your Answer







    StackExchange.ready(function()
    var channelOptions =
    tags: "".split(" "),
    id: "89"
    ;
    initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

    StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
    // Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
    if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
    StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
    createEditor();
    );

    else
    createEditor();

    );

    function createEditor()
    StackExchange.prepareEditor(
    heartbeatType: 'answer',
    convertImagesToLinks: true,
    noModals: false,
    showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
    reputationToPostImages: 10,
    bindNavPrevention: true,
    postfix: "",
    onDemand: true,
    discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
    ,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
    );



    );








     

    draft saved


    draft discarded


















    StackExchange.ready(
    function ()
    StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1036636%2fmitigation-for-gvfs-memory-leak%23new-answer', 'question_page');

    );

    Post as a guest






























    1 Answer
    1






    active

    oldest

    votes








    1 Answer
    1






    active

    oldest

    votes









    active

    oldest

    votes






    active

    oldest

    votes








    up vote
    1
    down vote



    accepted










    You can stop gvfsd-mtp process to avoid the memory increase:



    pkill -STOP gvfsd-mtp





    share|improve this answer
























      up vote
      1
      down vote



      accepted










      You can stop gvfsd-mtp process to avoid the memory increase:



      pkill -STOP gvfsd-mtp





      share|improve this answer






















        up vote
        1
        down vote



        accepted







        up vote
        1
        down vote



        accepted






        You can stop gvfsd-mtp process to avoid the memory increase:



        pkill -STOP gvfsd-mtp





        share|improve this answer












        You can stop gvfsd-mtp process to avoid the memory increase:



        pkill -STOP gvfsd-mtp






        share|improve this answer












        share|improve this answer



        share|improve this answer










        answered Jul 5 at 16:58









        Madh

        1263




        1263






















             

            draft saved


            draft discarded


























             


            draft saved


            draft discarded














            StackExchange.ready(
            function ()
            StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1036636%2fmitigation-for-gvfs-memory-leak%23new-answer', 'question_page');

            );

            Post as a guest













































































            Popular posts from this blog

            Which professions warranted travel in Medieval times?

            How do so many people here on Academia.SE, and in general, afford lavish higher education programs?

            Trouble downloading packages list due to a “Hash sum mismatch” error