Ubuntu 18.04 desktop hangs approximately 1x per day

The name of the pictureThe name of the pictureThe name of the pictureClash Royale CLAN TAG#URR8PPP








up vote
0
down vote

favorite
1












My Ubuntu 18.04 desktop hangs on me ~1x per day. This happens when I am in the middle of web browsing or using a desktop application, not when booting. When it does, the mouse pointer will still move freely, but clicking or keystrokes have no effect on my system until I do a hard reboot.



How can I stop this from happening?



Here is some system info:



selah@selah-Precision-Tower-5810:~$ uname -a
Linux selah-Precision-Tower-5810 4.15.0-20-generic #21-Ubuntu SMP Tue Apr 24 06:16:15 UTC 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

selah@selah-Precision-Tower-5810:~$ lspci | grep VGA
03:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GM107GL [Quadro K2200] (rev a2)

selah@selah-Precision-Tower-5810:~$ sudo lshw -c video
*-display
description: VGA compatible controller
product: GM107GL [Quadro K2200]
vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:03:00.0
version: a2
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
configuration: driver=nouveau latency=0
resources: irq:31 memory:f6000000-f6ffffff memory:e0000000-efffffff memory:f0000000-f1ffffff ioport:e000(size=128) memory:f7000000-f707ffff


Note, I had a similar issue with my 16.04 install:
Ubuntu 16.04 desktop hangs occasionally during regular use







share|improve this question
























    up vote
    0
    down vote

    favorite
    1












    My Ubuntu 18.04 desktop hangs on me ~1x per day. This happens when I am in the middle of web browsing or using a desktop application, not when booting. When it does, the mouse pointer will still move freely, but clicking or keystrokes have no effect on my system until I do a hard reboot.



    How can I stop this from happening?



    Here is some system info:



    selah@selah-Precision-Tower-5810:~$ uname -a
    Linux selah-Precision-Tower-5810 4.15.0-20-generic #21-Ubuntu SMP Tue Apr 24 06:16:15 UTC 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

    selah@selah-Precision-Tower-5810:~$ lspci | grep VGA
    03:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GM107GL [Quadro K2200] (rev a2)

    selah@selah-Precision-Tower-5810:~$ sudo lshw -c video
    *-display
    description: VGA compatible controller
    product: GM107GL [Quadro K2200]
    vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
    physical id: 0
    bus info: pci@0000:03:00.0
    version: a2
    width: 64 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: pm msi pciexpress vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
    configuration: driver=nouveau latency=0
    resources: irq:31 memory:f6000000-f6ffffff memory:e0000000-efffffff memory:f0000000-f1ffffff ioport:e000(size=128) memory:f7000000-f707ffff


    Note, I had a similar issue with my 16.04 install:
    Ubuntu 16.04 desktop hangs occasionally during regular use







    share|improve this question






















      up vote
      0
      down vote

      favorite
      1









      up vote
      0
      down vote

      favorite
      1






      1





      My Ubuntu 18.04 desktop hangs on me ~1x per day. This happens when I am in the middle of web browsing or using a desktop application, not when booting. When it does, the mouse pointer will still move freely, but clicking or keystrokes have no effect on my system until I do a hard reboot.



      How can I stop this from happening?



      Here is some system info:



      selah@selah-Precision-Tower-5810:~$ uname -a
      Linux selah-Precision-Tower-5810 4.15.0-20-generic #21-Ubuntu SMP Tue Apr 24 06:16:15 UTC 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

      selah@selah-Precision-Tower-5810:~$ lspci | grep VGA
      03:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GM107GL [Quadro K2200] (rev a2)

      selah@selah-Precision-Tower-5810:~$ sudo lshw -c video
      *-display
      description: VGA compatible controller
      product: GM107GL [Quadro K2200]
      vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
      physical id: 0
      bus info: pci@0000:03:00.0
      version: a2
      width: 64 bits
      clock: 33MHz
      capabilities: pm msi pciexpress vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
      configuration: driver=nouveau latency=0
      resources: irq:31 memory:f6000000-f6ffffff memory:e0000000-efffffff memory:f0000000-f1ffffff ioport:e000(size=128) memory:f7000000-f707ffff


      Note, I had a similar issue with my 16.04 install:
      Ubuntu 16.04 desktop hangs occasionally during regular use







      share|improve this question












      My Ubuntu 18.04 desktop hangs on me ~1x per day. This happens when I am in the middle of web browsing or using a desktop application, not when booting. When it does, the mouse pointer will still move freely, but clicking or keystrokes have no effect on my system until I do a hard reboot.



      How can I stop this from happening?



      Here is some system info:



      selah@selah-Precision-Tower-5810:~$ uname -a
      Linux selah-Precision-Tower-5810 4.15.0-20-generic #21-Ubuntu SMP Tue Apr 24 06:16:15 UTC 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

      selah@selah-Precision-Tower-5810:~$ lspci | grep VGA
      03:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GM107GL [Quadro K2200] (rev a2)

      selah@selah-Precision-Tower-5810:~$ sudo lshw -c video
      *-display
      description: VGA compatible controller
      product: GM107GL [Quadro K2200]
      vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
      physical id: 0
      bus info: pci@0000:03:00.0
      version: a2
      width: 64 bits
      clock: 33MHz
      capabilities: pm msi pciexpress vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
      configuration: driver=nouveau latency=0
      resources: irq:31 memory:f6000000-f6ffffff memory:e0000000-efffffff memory:f0000000-f1ffffff ioport:e000(size=128) memory:f7000000-f707ffff


      Note, I had a similar issue with my 16.04 install:
      Ubuntu 16.04 desktop hangs occasionally during regular use









      share|improve this question











      share|improve this question




      share|improve this question










      asked May 15 at 15:21









      Selah

      84511326




      84511326




















          1 Answer
          1






          active

          oldest

          votes

















          up vote
          0
          down vote













          I was dealing with this bug: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=93629



          To fix I installed an Nvidea driver in place of the Noveau driver that ships with Ubuntu by default.



          I checked my current driver using this command and looking at the configuration: line:



          selah@selah-Precision-Tower-5810:~$ sudo lshw -c video
          *-display
          description: VGA compatible controller
          product: GM107GL [Quadro K2200]
          vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
          physical id: 0
          bus info: pci@0000:03:00.0
          version: a2
          width: 64 bits
          clock: 33MHz
          capabilities: pm msi pciexpress vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
          configuration: driver=noveau latency=0
          resources: irq:32 memory:f6000000-f6ffffff memory:e0000000-efffffff memory:f0000000-f1ffffff ioport:e000(size=128) memory:f7000000-f707ffff


          I found the recommended driver using this command:



          selah@selah-Precision-Tower-5810:~$ ubuntu-drivers devices
          == /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0/0000:03:00.0 ==
          modalias : pci:v000010DEd000013BAsv000010DEsd00001097bc03sc00i00
          vendor : NVIDIA Corporation
          model : GM107GL [Quadro K2200]
          driver : nvidia-driver-390 - distro non-free recommended
          driver : nvidia-340 - distro non-free
          driver : xserver-xorg-video-nouveau - distro free builtin


          Then I installed the recommended driver using these commands:



          sudo apt-get install nvidia-driver-390
          sudo reboot


          Finally, I checked that they output of this command sudo lshw -c video contained the following line among its output. configuration: driver=nvidia latency=0




          How I verified I was dealing with that bug:



          Enabled persistent logging sudo mkdir /var/log/journaland reboot



          Then next time my computer froze, I rebooted and ran sudo journalctl --list-boots to find the ID of my previous boot that crashed.



          selah@selah-Precision-Tower-5810:~$ sudo journalctl --list-boots
          -5 3021d713946d42b1b27234bc25641386 Fri 2018-05-11 15:34:14 EDT—Fri 2018-05-11 16:56:17 EDT
          -4 0c2cf6756ca64856bd6650e24f33e26f Fri 2018-05-11 16:57:00 EDT—Tue 2018-05-15 11:04:40 EDT
          -3 897d56f3c8bd4f89aa53817531388d08 Tue 2018-05-15 11:06:03 EDT—Tue 2018-05-15 11:31:54 EDT
          -2 fd4181e77dfb46ae9222c0fe98e7ec40 Tue 2018-05-15 11:33:54 EDT—Tue 2018-05-15 11:43:20 EDT
          -1 553c94fad1bc499897ba5c17e794ba89 Tue 2018-05-15 11:44:03 EDT—Mon 2018-06-18 10:49:32 EDT
          0 0f79a064b05444b0840e55edb05d10a7 Mon 2018-06-18 10:50:24 EDT—Mon 2018-06-18 11:06:18 EDT


          My ID is the second to last long hash string labelled -1. Using this string I run sudo journalctl -b 553c94fad1bc499897ba5c17e794ba89



          I looked for (and found) error messages such as the following SCHED_ERROR 0a [CTXSW_TIMEOUT]



          `






          share|improve this answer




















            Your Answer







            StackExchange.ready(function()
            var channelOptions =
            tags: "".split(" "),
            id: "89"
            ;
            initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

            StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
            // Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
            if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
            StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
            createEditor();
            );

            else
            createEditor();

            );

            function createEditor()
            StackExchange.prepareEditor(
            heartbeatType: 'answer',
            convertImagesToLinks: true,
            noModals: false,
            showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
            reputationToPostImages: 10,
            bindNavPrevention: true,
            postfix: "",
            onDemand: true,
            discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
            ,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
            );



            );








             

            draft saved


            draft discarded


















            StackExchange.ready(
            function ()
            StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1036581%2fubuntu-18-04-desktop-hangs-approximately-1x-per-day%23new-answer', 'question_page');

            );

            Post as a guest






























            1 Answer
            1






            active

            oldest

            votes








            1 Answer
            1






            active

            oldest

            votes









            active

            oldest

            votes






            active

            oldest

            votes








            up vote
            0
            down vote













            I was dealing with this bug: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=93629



            To fix I installed an Nvidea driver in place of the Noveau driver that ships with Ubuntu by default.



            I checked my current driver using this command and looking at the configuration: line:



            selah@selah-Precision-Tower-5810:~$ sudo lshw -c video
            *-display
            description: VGA compatible controller
            product: GM107GL [Quadro K2200]
            vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
            physical id: 0
            bus info: pci@0000:03:00.0
            version: a2
            width: 64 bits
            clock: 33MHz
            capabilities: pm msi pciexpress vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
            configuration: driver=noveau latency=0
            resources: irq:32 memory:f6000000-f6ffffff memory:e0000000-efffffff memory:f0000000-f1ffffff ioport:e000(size=128) memory:f7000000-f707ffff


            I found the recommended driver using this command:



            selah@selah-Precision-Tower-5810:~$ ubuntu-drivers devices
            == /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0/0000:03:00.0 ==
            modalias : pci:v000010DEd000013BAsv000010DEsd00001097bc03sc00i00
            vendor : NVIDIA Corporation
            model : GM107GL [Quadro K2200]
            driver : nvidia-driver-390 - distro non-free recommended
            driver : nvidia-340 - distro non-free
            driver : xserver-xorg-video-nouveau - distro free builtin


            Then I installed the recommended driver using these commands:



            sudo apt-get install nvidia-driver-390
            sudo reboot


            Finally, I checked that they output of this command sudo lshw -c video contained the following line among its output. configuration: driver=nvidia latency=0




            How I verified I was dealing with that bug:



            Enabled persistent logging sudo mkdir /var/log/journaland reboot



            Then next time my computer froze, I rebooted and ran sudo journalctl --list-boots to find the ID of my previous boot that crashed.



            selah@selah-Precision-Tower-5810:~$ sudo journalctl --list-boots
            -5 3021d713946d42b1b27234bc25641386 Fri 2018-05-11 15:34:14 EDT—Fri 2018-05-11 16:56:17 EDT
            -4 0c2cf6756ca64856bd6650e24f33e26f Fri 2018-05-11 16:57:00 EDT—Tue 2018-05-15 11:04:40 EDT
            -3 897d56f3c8bd4f89aa53817531388d08 Tue 2018-05-15 11:06:03 EDT—Tue 2018-05-15 11:31:54 EDT
            -2 fd4181e77dfb46ae9222c0fe98e7ec40 Tue 2018-05-15 11:33:54 EDT—Tue 2018-05-15 11:43:20 EDT
            -1 553c94fad1bc499897ba5c17e794ba89 Tue 2018-05-15 11:44:03 EDT—Mon 2018-06-18 10:49:32 EDT
            0 0f79a064b05444b0840e55edb05d10a7 Mon 2018-06-18 10:50:24 EDT—Mon 2018-06-18 11:06:18 EDT


            My ID is the second to last long hash string labelled -1. Using this string I run sudo journalctl -b 553c94fad1bc499897ba5c17e794ba89



            I looked for (and found) error messages such as the following SCHED_ERROR 0a [CTXSW_TIMEOUT]



            `






            share|improve this answer
























              up vote
              0
              down vote













              I was dealing with this bug: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=93629



              To fix I installed an Nvidea driver in place of the Noveau driver that ships with Ubuntu by default.



              I checked my current driver using this command and looking at the configuration: line:



              selah@selah-Precision-Tower-5810:~$ sudo lshw -c video
              *-display
              description: VGA compatible controller
              product: GM107GL [Quadro K2200]
              vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
              physical id: 0
              bus info: pci@0000:03:00.0
              version: a2
              width: 64 bits
              clock: 33MHz
              capabilities: pm msi pciexpress vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
              configuration: driver=noveau latency=0
              resources: irq:32 memory:f6000000-f6ffffff memory:e0000000-efffffff memory:f0000000-f1ffffff ioport:e000(size=128) memory:f7000000-f707ffff


              I found the recommended driver using this command:



              selah@selah-Precision-Tower-5810:~$ ubuntu-drivers devices
              == /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0/0000:03:00.0 ==
              modalias : pci:v000010DEd000013BAsv000010DEsd00001097bc03sc00i00
              vendor : NVIDIA Corporation
              model : GM107GL [Quadro K2200]
              driver : nvidia-driver-390 - distro non-free recommended
              driver : nvidia-340 - distro non-free
              driver : xserver-xorg-video-nouveau - distro free builtin


              Then I installed the recommended driver using these commands:



              sudo apt-get install nvidia-driver-390
              sudo reboot


              Finally, I checked that they output of this command sudo lshw -c video contained the following line among its output. configuration: driver=nvidia latency=0




              How I verified I was dealing with that bug:



              Enabled persistent logging sudo mkdir /var/log/journaland reboot



              Then next time my computer froze, I rebooted and ran sudo journalctl --list-boots to find the ID of my previous boot that crashed.



              selah@selah-Precision-Tower-5810:~$ sudo journalctl --list-boots
              -5 3021d713946d42b1b27234bc25641386 Fri 2018-05-11 15:34:14 EDT—Fri 2018-05-11 16:56:17 EDT
              -4 0c2cf6756ca64856bd6650e24f33e26f Fri 2018-05-11 16:57:00 EDT—Tue 2018-05-15 11:04:40 EDT
              -3 897d56f3c8bd4f89aa53817531388d08 Tue 2018-05-15 11:06:03 EDT—Tue 2018-05-15 11:31:54 EDT
              -2 fd4181e77dfb46ae9222c0fe98e7ec40 Tue 2018-05-15 11:33:54 EDT—Tue 2018-05-15 11:43:20 EDT
              -1 553c94fad1bc499897ba5c17e794ba89 Tue 2018-05-15 11:44:03 EDT—Mon 2018-06-18 10:49:32 EDT
              0 0f79a064b05444b0840e55edb05d10a7 Mon 2018-06-18 10:50:24 EDT—Mon 2018-06-18 11:06:18 EDT


              My ID is the second to last long hash string labelled -1. Using this string I run sudo journalctl -b 553c94fad1bc499897ba5c17e794ba89



              I looked for (and found) error messages such as the following SCHED_ERROR 0a [CTXSW_TIMEOUT]



              `






              share|improve this answer






















                up vote
                0
                down vote










                up vote
                0
                down vote









                I was dealing with this bug: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=93629



                To fix I installed an Nvidea driver in place of the Noveau driver that ships with Ubuntu by default.



                I checked my current driver using this command and looking at the configuration: line:



                selah@selah-Precision-Tower-5810:~$ sudo lshw -c video
                *-display
                description: VGA compatible controller
                product: GM107GL [Quadro K2200]
                vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
                physical id: 0
                bus info: pci@0000:03:00.0
                version: a2
                width: 64 bits
                clock: 33MHz
                capabilities: pm msi pciexpress vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
                configuration: driver=noveau latency=0
                resources: irq:32 memory:f6000000-f6ffffff memory:e0000000-efffffff memory:f0000000-f1ffffff ioport:e000(size=128) memory:f7000000-f707ffff


                I found the recommended driver using this command:



                selah@selah-Precision-Tower-5810:~$ ubuntu-drivers devices
                == /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0/0000:03:00.0 ==
                modalias : pci:v000010DEd000013BAsv000010DEsd00001097bc03sc00i00
                vendor : NVIDIA Corporation
                model : GM107GL [Quadro K2200]
                driver : nvidia-driver-390 - distro non-free recommended
                driver : nvidia-340 - distro non-free
                driver : xserver-xorg-video-nouveau - distro free builtin


                Then I installed the recommended driver using these commands:



                sudo apt-get install nvidia-driver-390
                sudo reboot


                Finally, I checked that they output of this command sudo lshw -c video contained the following line among its output. configuration: driver=nvidia latency=0




                How I verified I was dealing with that bug:



                Enabled persistent logging sudo mkdir /var/log/journaland reboot



                Then next time my computer froze, I rebooted and ran sudo journalctl --list-boots to find the ID of my previous boot that crashed.



                selah@selah-Precision-Tower-5810:~$ sudo journalctl --list-boots
                -5 3021d713946d42b1b27234bc25641386 Fri 2018-05-11 15:34:14 EDT—Fri 2018-05-11 16:56:17 EDT
                -4 0c2cf6756ca64856bd6650e24f33e26f Fri 2018-05-11 16:57:00 EDT—Tue 2018-05-15 11:04:40 EDT
                -3 897d56f3c8bd4f89aa53817531388d08 Tue 2018-05-15 11:06:03 EDT—Tue 2018-05-15 11:31:54 EDT
                -2 fd4181e77dfb46ae9222c0fe98e7ec40 Tue 2018-05-15 11:33:54 EDT—Tue 2018-05-15 11:43:20 EDT
                -1 553c94fad1bc499897ba5c17e794ba89 Tue 2018-05-15 11:44:03 EDT—Mon 2018-06-18 10:49:32 EDT
                0 0f79a064b05444b0840e55edb05d10a7 Mon 2018-06-18 10:50:24 EDT—Mon 2018-06-18 11:06:18 EDT


                My ID is the second to last long hash string labelled -1. Using this string I run sudo journalctl -b 553c94fad1bc499897ba5c17e794ba89



                I looked for (and found) error messages such as the following SCHED_ERROR 0a [CTXSW_TIMEOUT]



                `






                share|improve this answer












                I was dealing with this bug: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=93629



                To fix I installed an Nvidea driver in place of the Noveau driver that ships with Ubuntu by default.



                I checked my current driver using this command and looking at the configuration: line:



                selah@selah-Precision-Tower-5810:~$ sudo lshw -c video
                *-display
                description: VGA compatible controller
                product: GM107GL [Quadro K2200]
                vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
                physical id: 0
                bus info: pci@0000:03:00.0
                version: a2
                width: 64 bits
                clock: 33MHz
                capabilities: pm msi pciexpress vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
                configuration: driver=noveau latency=0
                resources: irq:32 memory:f6000000-f6ffffff memory:e0000000-efffffff memory:f0000000-f1ffffff ioport:e000(size=128) memory:f7000000-f707ffff


                I found the recommended driver using this command:



                selah@selah-Precision-Tower-5810:~$ ubuntu-drivers devices
                == /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0/0000:03:00.0 ==
                modalias : pci:v000010DEd000013BAsv000010DEsd00001097bc03sc00i00
                vendor : NVIDIA Corporation
                model : GM107GL [Quadro K2200]
                driver : nvidia-driver-390 - distro non-free recommended
                driver : nvidia-340 - distro non-free
                driver : xserver-xorg-video-nouveau - distro free builtin


                Then I installed the recommended driver using these commands:



                sudo apt-get install nvidia-driver-390
                sudo reboot


                Finally, I checked that they output of this command sudo lshw -c video contained the following line among its output. configuration: driver=nvidia latency=0




                How I verified I was dealing with that bug:



                Enabled persistent logging sudo mkdir /var/log/journaland reboot



                Then next time my computer froze, I rebooted and ran sudo journalctl --list-boots to find the ID of my previous boot that crashed.



                selah@selah-Precision-Tower-5810:~$ sudo journalctl --list-boots
                -5 3021d713946d42b1b27234bc25641386 Fri 2018-05-11 15:34:14 EDT—Fri 2018-05-11 16:56:17 EDT
                -4 0c2cf6756ca64856bd6650e24f33e26f Fri 2018-05-11 16:57:00 EDT—Tue 2018-05-15 11:04:40 EDT
                -3 897d56f3c8bd4f89aa53817531388d08 Tue 2018-05-15 11:06:03 EDT—Tue 2018-05-15 11:31:54 EDT
                -2 fd4181e77dfb46ae9222c0fe98e7ec40 Tue 2018-05-15 11:33:54 EDT—Tue 2018-05-15 11:43:20 EDT
                -1 553c94fad1bc499897ba5c17e794ba89 Tue 2018-05-15 11:44:03 EDT—Mon 2018-06-18 10:49:32 EDT
                0 0f79a064b05444b0840e55edb05d10a7 Mon 2018-06-18 10:50:24 EDT—Mon 2018-06-18 11:06:18 EDT


                My ID is the second to last long hash string labelled -1. Using this string I run sudo journalctl -b 553c94fad1bc499897ba5c17e794ba89



                I looked for (and found) error messages such as the following SCHED_ERROR 0a [CTXSW_TIMEOUT]



                `







                share|improve this answer












                share|improve this answer



                share|improve this answer










                answered Jun 18 at 15:23









                Selah

                84511326




                84511326






















                     

                    draft saved


                    draft discarded


























                     


                    draft saved


                    draft discarded














                    StackExchange.ready(
                    function ()
                    StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1036581%2fubuntu-18-04-desktop-hangs-approximately-1x-per-day%23new-answer', 'question_page');

                    );

                    Post as a guest













































































                    Popular posts from this blog

                    Which professions warranted travel in Medieval times?

                    How do so many people here on Academia.SE, and in general, afford lavish higher education programs?

                    Trouble downloading packages list due to a “Hash sum mismatch” error