Install and run Java app on Ubuntu 14.04 issue

The name of the pictureThe name of the pictureThe name of the pictureClash Royale CLAN TAG#URR8PPP








up vote
0
down vote

favorite












I want to run just Selenium Standalone Server on Ubuntu 14.04.



I had the same issue withopenjdk-8-jdk installation, but this topic solved it.



Now I have another problem, I can't just run the Java app.



~/workspace/php-web-driver-test $ java -jar selenium-server-standalone-3.12.0.jar
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: org/openqa/grid/selenium/GridLauncherV3 : Unsupported major.minor version 52.0
at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:803)
at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:142)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(URLClassLoader.java:442)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$100(URLClassLoader.java:64)
at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:354)
at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:348)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:347)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:425)
at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:312)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:358)
at sun.launcher.LauncherHelper.checkAndLoadMain(LauncherHelper.java:482)






share|improve this question


























    up vote
    0
    down vote

    favorite












    I want to run just Selenium Standalone Server on Ubuntu 14.04.



    I had the same issue withopenjdk-8-jdk installation, but this topic solved it.



    Now I have another problem, I can't just run the Java app.



    ~/workspace/php-web-driver-test $ java -jar selenium-server-standalone-3.12.0.jar
    Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: org/openqa/grid/selenium/GridLauncherV3 : Unsupported major.minor version 52.0
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:803)
    at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:142)
    at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(URLClassLoader.java:442)
    at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$100(URLClassLoader.java:64)
    at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:354)
    at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:348)
    at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
    at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:347)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:425)
    at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:312)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:358)
    at sun.launcher.LauncherHelper.checkAndLoadMain(LauncherHelper.java:482)






    share|improve this question
























      up vote
      0
      down vote

      favorite









      up vote
      0
      down vote

      favorite











      I want to run just Selenium Standalone Server on Ubuntu 14.04.



      I had the same issue withopenjdk-8-jdk installation, but this topic solved it.



      Now I have another problem, I can't just run the Java app.



      ~/workspace/php-web-driver-test $ java -jar selenium-server-standalone-3.12.0.jar
      Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: org/openqa/grid/selenium/GridLauncherV3 : Unsupported major.minor version 52.0
      at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method)
      at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:803)
      at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:142)
      at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(URLClassLoader.java:442)
      at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$100(URLClassLoader.java:64)
      at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:354)
      at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:348)
      at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
      at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:347)
      at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:425)
      at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:312)
      at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:358)
      at sun.launcher.LauncherHelper.checkAndLoadMain(LauncherHelper.java:482)






      share|improve this question














      I want to run just Selenium Standalone Server on Ubuntu 14.04.



      I had the same issue withopenjdk-8-jdk installation, but this topic solved it.



      Now I have another problem, I can't just run the Java app.



      ~/workspace/php-web-driver-test $ java -jar selenium-server-standalone-3.12.0.jar
      Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: org/openqa/grid/selenium/GridLauncherV3 : Unsupported major.minor version 52.0
      at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method)
      at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:803)
      at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:142)
      at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(URLClassLoader.java:442)
      at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$100(URLClassLoader.java:64)
      at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:354)
      at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:348)
      at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
      at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:347)
      at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:425)
      at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:312)
      at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:358)
      at sun.launcher.LauncherHelper.checkAndLoadMain(LauncherHelper.java:482)








      share|improve this question













      share|improve this question




      share|improve this question








      edited May 15 at 11:04









      karel

      49.8k11106127




      49.8k11106127










      asked May 15 at 10:39









      mr.boris

      1436




      1436




















          1 Answer
          1






          active

          oldest

          votes

















          up vote
          1
          down vote



          accepted










          Sometimes openjdk doesn't work but oracle java does. Try installing it with:



          sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/java


          and then run



          sudo apt update&&sudo apt install oracle-java8-installer


          If this doesn't work then the software might not be compatible and you might want to try different versions or other software






          share|improve this answer
















          • 1




            Does ppa:webupd8team/java still work for installing oracle-java8-installer? According to several recent questions ppa:webupd8team/java does not work anymore for installing oracle-java8-installer because the link to the official Oracle website in oracle-java8-installer is broken and the software hasn't been updated. If you tested the command in your answer and it works I would like to know it, because if oracle-java8-installer has been updated, then one of my answers needs to be updated too.
            – karel
            May 15 at 11:21











          • @Bitblocks Thanks, now it's working. Same description as in answer.
            – mr.boris
            May 15 at 13:00











          • Your welcome. I don't know much about java but I knew from research that openjdk doesn't work as well as Oracle Java. Glad I could help! :)
            – Bitblocks
            May 15 at 13:59










          Your Answer







          StackExchange.ready(function()
          var channelOptions =
          tags: "".split(" "),
          id: "89"
          ;
          initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

          StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
          // Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
          if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
          StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
          createEditor();
          );

          else
          createEditor();

          );

          function createEditor()
          StackExchange.prepareEditor(
          heartbeatType: 'answer',
          convertImagesToLinks: true,
          noModals: false,
          showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
          reputationToPostImages: 10,
          bindNavPrevention: true,
          postfix: "",
          onDemand: true,
          discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
          ,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
          );



          );








           

          draft saved


          draft discarded


















          StackExchange.ready(
          function ()
          StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1036475%2finstall-and-run-java-app-on-ubuntu-14-04-issue%23new-answer', 'question_page');

          );

          Post as a guest






























          1 Answer
          1






          active

          oldest

          votes








          1 Answer
          1






          active

          oldest

          votes









          active

          oldest

          votes






          active

          oldest

          votes








          up vote
          1
          down vote



          accepted










          Sometimes openjdk doesn't work but oracle java does. Try installing it with:



          sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/java


          and then run



          sudo apt update&&sudo apt install oracle-java8-installer


          If this doesn't work then the software might not be compatible and you might want to try different versions or other software






          share|improve this answer
















          • 1




            Does ppa:webupd8team/java still work for installing oracle-java8-installer? According to several recent questions ppa:webupd8team/java does not work anymore for installing oracle-java8-installer because the link to the official Oracle website in oracle-java8-installer is broken and the software hasn't been updated. If you tested the command in your answer and it works I would like to know it, because if oracle-java8-installer has been updated, then one of my answers needs to be updated too.
            – karel
            May 15 at 11:21











          • @Bitblocks Thanks, now it's working. Same description as in answer.
            – mr.boris
            May 15 at 13:00











          • Your welcome. I don't know much about java but I knew from research that openjdk doesn't work as well as Oracle Java. Glad I could help! :)
            – Bitblocks
            May 15 at 13:59














          up vote
          1
          down vote



          accepted










          Sometimes openjdk doesn't work but oracle java does. Try installing it with:



          sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/java


          and then run



          sudo apt update&&sudo apt install oracle-java8-installer


          If this doesn't work then the software might not be compatible and you might want to try different versions or other software






          share|improve this answer
















          • 1




            Does ppa:webupd8team/java still work for installing oracle-java8-installer? According to several recent questions ppa:webupd8team/java does not work anymore for installing oracle-java8-installer because the link to the official Oracle website in oracle-java8-installer is broken and the software hasn't been updated. If you tested the command in your answer and it works I would like to know it, because if oracle-java8-installer has been updated, then one of my answers needs to be updated too.
            – karel
            May 15 at 11:21











          • @Bitblocks Thanks, now it's working. Same description as in answer.
            – mr.boris
            May 15 at 13:00











          • Your welcome. I don't know much about java but I knew from research that openjdk doesn't work as well as Oracle Java. Glad I could help! :)
            – Bitblocks
            May 15 at 13:59












          up vote
          1
          down vote



          accepted







          up vote
          1
          down vote



          accepted






          Sometimes openjdk doesn't work but oracle java does. Try installing it with:



          sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/java


          and then run



          sudo apt update&&sudo apt install oracle-java8-installer


          If this doesn't work then the software might not be compatible and you might want to try different versions or other software






          share|improve this answer












          Sometimes openjdk doesn't work but oracle java does. Try installing it with:



          sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/java


          and then run



          sudo apt update&&sudo apt install oracle-java8-installer


          If this doesn't work then the software might not be compatible and you might want to try different versions or other software







          share|improve this answer












          share|improve this answer



          share|improve this answer










          answered May 15 at 11:16









          Bitblocks

          263




          263







          • 1




            Does ppa:webupd8team/java still work for installing oracle-java8-installer? According to several recent questions ppa:webupd8team/java does not work anymore for installing oracle-java8-installer because the link to the official Oracle website in oracle-java8-installer is broken and the software hasn't been updated. If you tested the command in your answer and it works I would like to know it, because if oracle-java8-installer has been updated, then one of my answers needs to be updated too.
            – karel
            May 15 at 11:21











          • @Bitblocks Thanks, now it's working. Same description as in answer.
            – mr.boris
            May 15 at 13:00











          • Your welcome. I don't know much about java but I knew from research that openjdk doesn't work as well as Oracle Java. Glad I could help! :)
            – Bitblocks
            May 15 at 13:59












          • 1




            Does ppa:webupd8team/java still work for installing oracle-java8-installer? According to several recent questions ppa:webupd8team/java does not work anymore for installing oracle-java8-installer because the link to the official Oracle website in oracle-java8-installer is broken and the software hasn't been updated. If you tested the command in your answer and it works I would like to know it, because if oracle-java8-installer has been updated, then one of my answers needs to be updated too.
            – karel
            May 15 at 11:21











          • @Bitblocks Thanks, now it's working. Same description as in answer.
            – mr.boris
            May 15 at 13:00











          • Your welcome. I don't know much about java but I knew from research that openjdk doesn't work as well as Oracle Java. Glad I could help! :)
            – Bitblocks
            May 15 at 13:59







          1




          1




          Does ppa:webupd8team/java still work for installing oracle-java8-installer? According to several recent questions ppa:webupd8team/java does not work anymore for installing oracle-java8-installer because the link to the official Oracle website in oracle-java8-installer is broken and the software hasn't been updated. If you tested the command in your answer and it works I would like to know it, because if oracle-java8-installer has been updated, then one of my answers needs to be updated too.
          – karel
          May 15 at 11:21





          Does ppa:webupd8team/java still work for installing oracle-java8-installer? According to several recent questions ppa:webupd8team/java does not work anymore for installing oracle-java8-installer because the link to the official Oracle website in oracle-java8-installer is broken and the software hasn't been updated. If you tested the command in your answer and it works I would like to know it, because if oracle-java8-installer has been updated, then one of my answers needs to be updated too.
          – karel
          May 15 at 11:21













          @Bitblocks Thanks, now it's working. Same description as in answer.
          – mr.boris
          May 15 at 13:00





          @Bitblocks Thanks, now it's working. Same description as in answer.
          – mr.boris
          May 15 at 13:00













          Your welcome. I don't know much about java but I knew from research that openjdk doesn't work as well as Oracle Java. Glad I could help! :)
          – Bitblocks
          May 15 at 13:59




          Your welcome. I don't know much about java but I knew from research that openjdk doesn't work as well as Oracle Java. Glad I could help! :)
          – Bitblocks
          May 15 at 13:59












           

          draft saved


          draft discarded


























           


          draft saved


          draft discarded














          StackExchange.ready(
          function ()
          StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1036475%2finstall-and-run-java-app-on-ubuntu-14-04-issue%23new-answer', 'question_page');

          );

          Post as a guest













































































          Popular posts from this blog

          Which professions warranted travel in Medieval times?

          How do so many people here on Academia.SE, and in general, afford lavish higher education programs?

          Trouble downloading packages list due to a “Hash sum mismatch” error