Server not recognizing newly freed disk space

The name of the pictureThe name of the pictureThe name of the pictureClash Royale CLAN TAG#URR8PPP








up vote
0
down vote

favorite












Ubuntu 14.04 on Amazon AWS EC2, has been in production for several years as a web server.



I was working on implementing a new backup process, and while doing so the server ran out of disk space. A 300gb magnetic drive, it's usage was at 290gb when I started this project. While backing up a rather large account, the drive ran out of space but was still mostly operational. OK, so I started deleting files. I deleted a lot of "temp" files local to a few particular web sites, I deleted some working backups (.gz files) that amounted to several gb, and I also checked the /tmp system folder and looked to see if there were any .Trashes folders. I believe in total I deleted at least 10gb of files. However my system still reported zero free space. And MySQL wouldn't start (which I know requires free space to start and operate).



I rebooted the server, to no avail. I shut down apache to make sure it wasn't holding open files. Eventually I expanded the disk drive to 350gb, and then everything started working. The server currently reports 298gb used. Should be much less than that, given all that I deleted.



1) Why would the server not recognize the space I was freeing up?
2) How can I get it to see it now?



Here is the output of df -h



Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
udev 1.8G 12K 1.8G 1% /dev
tmpfs 358M 200K 358M 1% /run
/dev/xvda1 345G 283G 47G 86% /
none 4.0K 0 4.0K 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
none 5.0M 0 5.0M 0% /run/lock
none 1.8G 0 1.8G 0% /run/shm
none 100M 0 100M 0% /run/user
overflow 1.0M 76K 948K 8% /tmp






share|improve this question






















  • And while it seemed to be working when I wrote the above, I just now see that I cannot create a cron job because of lack of space.
    – Rob Brandt
    May 15 at 17:23










  • Can you edit your question to include the output of df -h please?
    – muclux
    May 15 at 17:57










  • After changing the size of the physical disk, did you run resize2fs to resize the filesystem? Read man resize2fs.
    – waltinator
    May 16 at 4:14










  • @waltinator, this is an issue that is confusing to me. I have been using Ubuntu on AWS since the 10.04 days, and until I installed a 16.04 server I have NEVER had to resize the file system. It doesn't appear that I need to now either. When I run lsblk -o NAME,FSTYPE,SIZE,MOUNTPOINT,LABEL it shows just one entry, at 350gb. When I run fdisk -l, I get similar data, ending with "Disk /dev/xvda1 doesn't contain a valid partition table". So I guess since my disk isn't split between partitions, I don't have to resize(?). So I guess the reason I don't need to resize is that my disk i
    – Rob Brandt
    May 16 at 21:02










  • I believe i have solved the "out of disk space" issue from here askubuntu.com/questions/199565/not-enough-space-on-tmp using option 2 from the approved answer. You can see from my table above that /tmp is mapped to overflow, which apparently is a stopgap Ubuntu does when it runs out of disk space. And then I ran out of overflow space. The solution was to clean out more disk space (down to 280gb used) and reboot. overflow is now gone and it appears /tmp is using regular disk space again.
    – Rob Brandt
    May 16 at 21:06














up vote
0
down vote

favorite












Ubuntu 14.04 on Amazon AWS EC2, has been in production for several years as a web server.



I was working on implementing a new backup process, and while doing so the server ran out of disk space. A 300gb magnetic drive, it's usage was at 290gb when I started this project. While backing up a rather large account, the drive ran out of space but was still mostly operational. OK, so I started deleting files. I deleted a lot of "temp" files local to a few particular web sites, I deleted some working backups (.gz files) that amounted to several gb, and I also checked the /tmp system folder and looked to see if there were any .Trashes folders. I believe in total I deleted at least 10gb of files. However my system still reported zero free space. And MySQL wouldn't start (which I know requires free space to start and operate).



I rebooted the server, to no avail. I shut down apache to make sure it wasn't holding open files. Eventually I expanded the disk drive to 350gb, and then everything started working. The server currently reports 298gb used. Should be much less than that, given all that I deleted.



1) Why would the server not recognize the space I was freeing up?
2) How can I get it to see it now?



Here is the output of df -h



Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
udev 1.8G 12K 1.8G 1% /dev
tmpfs 358M 200K 358M 1% /run
/dev/xvda1 345G 283G 47G 86% /
none 4.0K 0 4.0K 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
none 5.0M 0 5.0M 0% /run/lock
none 1.8G 0 1.8G 0% /run/shm
none 100M 0 100M 0% /run/user
overflow 1.0M 76K 948K 8% /tmp






share|improve this question






















  • And while it seemed to be working when I wrote the above, I just now see that I cannot create a cron job because of lack of space.
    – Rob Brandt
    May 15 at 17:23










  • Can you edit your question to include the output of df -h please?
    – muclux
    May 15 at 17:57










  • After changing the size of the physical disk, did you run resize2fs to resize the filesystem? Read man resize2fs.
    – waltinator
    May 16 at 4:14










  • @waltinator, this is an issue that is confusing to me. I have been using Ubuntu on AWS since the 10.04 days, and until I installed a 16.04 server I have NEVER had to resize the file system. It doesn't appear that I need to now either. When I run lsblk -o NAME,FSTYPE,SIZE,MOUNTPOINT,LABEL it shows just one entry, at 350gb. When I run fdisk -l, I get similar data, ending with "Disk /dev/xvda1 doesn't contain a valid partition table". So I guess since my disk isn't split between partitions, I don't have to resize(?). So I guess the reason I don't need to resize is that my disk i
    – Rob Brandt
    May 16 at 21:02










  • I believe i have solved the "out of disk space" issue from here askubuntu.com/questions/199565/not-enough-space-on-tmp using option 2 from the approved answer. You can see from my table above that /tmp is mapped to overflow, which apparently is a stopgap Ubuntu does when it runs out of disk space. And then I ran out of overflow space. The solution was to clean out more disk space (down to 280gb used) and reboot. overflow is now gone and it appears /tmp is using regular disk space again.
    – Rob Brandt
    May 16 at 21:06












up vote
0
down vote

favorite









up vote
0
down vote

favorite











Ubuntu 14.04 on Amazon AWS EC2, has been in production for several years as a web server.



I was working on implementing a new backup process, and while doing so the server ran out of disk space. A 300gb magnetic drive, it's usage was at 290gb when I started this project. While backing up a rather large account, the drive ran out of space but was still mostly operational. OK, so I started deleting files. I deleted a lot of "temp" files local to a few particular web sites, I deleted some working backups (.gz files) that amounted to several gb, and I also checked the /tmp system folder and looked to see if there were any .Trashes folders. I believe in total I deleted at least 10gb of files. However my system still reported zero free space. And MySQL wouldn't start (which I know requires free space to start and operate).



I rebooted the server, to no avail. I shut down apache to make sure it wasn't holding open files. Eventually I expanded the disk drive to 350gb, and then everything started working. The server currently reports 298gb used. Should be much less than that, given all that I deleted.



1) Why would the server not recognize the space I was freeing up?
2) How can I get it to see it now?



Here is the output of df -h



Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
udev 1.8G 12K 1.8G 1% /dev
tmpfs 358M 200K 358M 1% /run
/dev/xvda1 345G 283G 47G 86% /
none 4.0K 0 4.0K 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
none 5.0M 0 5.0M 0% /run/lock
none 1.8G 0 1.8G 0% /run/shm
none 100M 0 100M 0% /run/user
overflow 1.0M 76K 948K 8% /tmp






share|improve this question














Ubuntu 14.04 on Amazon AWS EC2, has been in production for several years as a web server.



I was working on implementing a new backup process, and while doing so the server ran out of disk space. A 300gb magnetic drive, it's usage was at 290gb when I started this project. While backing up a rather large account, the drive ran out of space but was still mostly operational. OK, so I started deleting files. I deleted a lot of "temp" files local to a few particular web sites, I deleted some working backups (.gz files) that amounted to several gb, and I also checked the /tmp system folder and looked to see if there were any .Trashes folders. I believe in total I deleted at least 10gb of files. However my system still reported zero free space. And MySQL wouldn't start (which I know requires free space to start and operate).



I rebooted the server, to no avail. I shut down apache to make sure it wasn't holding open files. Eventually I expanded the disk drive to 350gb, and then everything started working. The server currently reports 298gb used. Should be much less than that, given all that I deleted.



1) Why would the server not recognize the space I was freeing up?
2) How can I get it to see it now?



Here is the output of df -h



Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
udev 1.8G 12K 1.8G 1% /dev
tmpfs 358M 200K 358M 1% /run
/dev/xvda1 345G 283G 47G 86% /
none 4.0K 0 4.0K 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
none 5.0M 0 5.0M 0% /run/lock
none 1.8G 0 1.8G 0% /run/shm
none 100M 0 100M 0% /run/user
overflow 1.0M 76K 948K 8% /tmp








share|improve this question













share|improve this question




share|improve this question








edited May 15 at 22:24

























asked May 15 at 17:14









Rob Brandt

1215




1215











  • And while it seemed to be working when I wrote the above, I just now see that I cannot create a cron job because of lack of space.
    – Rob Brandt
    May 15 at 17:23










  • Can you edit your question to include the output of df -h please?
    – muclux
    May 15 at 17:57










  • After changing the size of the physical disk, did you run resize2fs to resize the filesystem? Read man resize2fs.
    – waltinator
    May 16 at 4:14










  • @waltinator, this is an issue that is confusing to me. I have been using Ubuntu on AWS since the 10.04 days, and until I installed a 16.04 server I have NEVER had to resize the file system. It doesn't appear that I need to now either. When I run lsblk -o NAME,FSTYPE,SIZE,MOUNTPOINT,LABEL it shows just one entry, at 350gb. When I run fdisk -l, I get similar data, ending with "Disk /dev/xvda1 doesn't contain a valid partition table". So I guess since my disk isn't split between partitions, I don't have to resize(?). So I guess the reason I don't need to resize is that my disk i
    – Rob Brandt
    May 16 at 21:02










  • I believe i have solved the "out of disk space" issue from here askubuntu.com/questions/199565/not-enough-space-on-tmp using option 2 from the approved answer. You can see from my table above that /tmp is mapped to overflow, which apparently is a stopgap Ubuntu does when it runs out of disk space. And then I ran out of overflow space. The solution was to clean out more disk space (down to 280gb used) and reboot. overflow is now gone and it appears /tmp is using regular disk space again.
    – Rob Brandt
    May 16 at 21:06
















  • And while it seemed to be working when I wrote the above, I just now see that I cannot create a cron job because of lack of space.
    – Rob Brandt
    May 15 at 17:23










  • Can you edit your question to include the output of df -h please?
    – muclux
    May 15 at 17:57










  • After changing the size of the physical disk, did you run resize2fs to resize the filesystem? Read man resize2fs.
    – waltinator
    May 16 at 4:14










  • @waltinator, this is an issue that is confusing to me. I have been using Ubuntu on AWS since the 10.04 days, and until I installed a 16.04 server I have NEVER had to resize the file system. It doesn't appear that I need to now either. When I run lsblk -o NAME,FSTYPE,SIZE,MOUNTPOINT,LABEL it shows just one entry, at 350gb. When I run fdisk -l, I get similar data, ending with "Disk /dev/xvda1 doesn't contain a valid partition table". So I guess since my disk isn't split between partitions, I don't have to resize(?). So I guess the reason I don't need to resize is that my disk i
    – Rob Brandt
    May 16 at 21:02










  • I believe i have solved the "out of disk space" issue from here askubuntu.com/questions/199565/not-enough-space-on-tmp using option 2 from the approved answer. You can see from my table above that /tmp is mapped to overflow, which apparently is a stopgap Ubuntu does when it runs out of disk space. And then I ran out of overflow space. The solution was to clean out more disk space (down to 280gb used) and reboot. overflow is now gone and it appears /tmp is using regular disk space again.
    – Rob Brandt
    May 16 at 21:06















And while it seemed to be working when I wrote the above, I just now see that I cannot create a cron job because of lack of space.
– Rob Brandt
May 15 at 17:23




And while it seemed to be working when I wrote the above, I just now see that I cannot create a cron job because of lack of space.
– Rob Brandt
May 15 at 17:23












Can you edit your question to include the output of df -h please?
– muclux
May 15 at 17:57




Can you edit your question to include the output of df -h please?
– muclux
May 15 at 17:57












After changing the size of the physical disk, did you run resize2fs to resize the filesystem? Read man resize2fs.
– waltinator
May 16 at 4:14




After changing the size of the physical disk, did you run resize2fs to resize the filesystem? Read man resize2fs.
– waltinator
May 16 at 4:14












@waltinator, this is an issue that is confusing to me. I have been using Ubuntu on AWS since the 10.04 days, and until I installed a 16.04 server I have NEVER had to resize the file system. It doesn't appear that I need to now either. When I run lsblk -o NAME,FSTYPE,SIZE,MOUNTPOINT,LABEL it shows just one entry, at 350gb. When I run fdisk -l, I get similar data, ending with "Disk /dev/xvda1 doesn't contain a valid partition table". So I guess since my disk isn't split between partitions, I don't have to resize(?). So I guess the reason I don't need to resize is that my disk i
– Rob Brandt
May 16 at 21:02




@waltinator, this is an issue that is confusing to me. I have been using Ubuntu on AWS since the 10.04 days, and until I installed a 16.04 server I have NEVER had to resize the file system. It doesn't appear that I need to now either. When I run lsblk -o NAME,FSTYPE,SIZE,MOUNTPOINT,LABEL it shows just one entry, at 350gb. When I run fdisk -l, I get similar data, ending with "Disk /dev/xvda1 doesn't contain a valid partition table". So I guess since my disk isn't split between partitions, I don't have to resize(?). So I guess the reason I don't need to resize is that my disk i
– Rob Brandt
May 16 at 21:02












I believe i have solved the "out of disk space" issue from here askubuntu.com/questions/199565/not-enough-space-on-tmp using option 2 from the approved answer. You can see from my table above that /tmp is mapped to overflow, which apparently is a stopgap Ubuntu does when it runs out of disk space. And then I ran out of overflow space. The solution was to clean out more disk space (down to 280gb used) and reboot. overflow is now gone and it appears /tmp is using regular disk space again.
– Rob Brandt
May 16 at 21:06




I believe i have solved the "out of disk space" issue from here askubuntu.com/questions/199565/not-enough-space-on-tmp using option 2 from the approved answer. You can see from my table above that /tmp is mapped to overflow, which apparently is a stopgap Ubuntu does when it runs out of disk space. And then I ran out of overflow space. The solution was to clean out more disk space (down to 280gb used) and reboot. overflow is now gone and it appears /tmp is using regular disk space again.
– Rob Brandt
May 16 at 21:06















active

oldest

votes











Your Answer







StackExchange.ready(function()
var channelOptions =
tags: "".split(" "),
id: "89"
;
initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
// Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
createEditor();
);

else
createEditor();

);

function createEditor()
StackExchange.prepareEditor(
heartbeatType: 'answer',
convertImagesToLinks: true,
noModals: false,
showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
reputationToPostImages: 10,
bindNavPrevention: true,
postfix: "",
onDemand: true,
discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
);



);








 

draft saved


draft discarded


















StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1036626%2fserver-not-recognizing-newly-freed-disk-space%23new-answer', 'question_page');

);

Post as a guest



































active

oldest

votes













active

oldest

votes









active

oldest

votes






active

oldest

votes










 

draft saved


draft discarded


























 


draft saved


draft discarded














StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1036626%2fserver-not-recognizing-newly-freed-disk-space%23new-answer', 'question_page');

);

Post as a guest













































































Popular posts from this blog

Which professions warranted travel in Medieval times?

How do so many people here on Academia.SE, and in general, afford lavish higher education programs?

Trouble downloading packages list due to a “Hash sum mismatch” error