Shutdown and reboot problem with Ubuntu 16.04 and 18.04

The name of the pictureThe name of the pictureThe name of the pictureClash Royale CLAN TAG#URR8PPP








up vote
1
down vote

favorite
1












I bought a new laptop (Dell Inspiron 7577) and I installed Ubuntu 16.04 LTS on it. Before I did update and upgrade I tried to shutdown and reboot and it all worked properly, but after the sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade it didn't work anymore.



What happens when I try to shutdown is: My screen just instantly freezes and I can't do anything more. Then I have to shutdown by holding the power button.



I've tried several things like:

- all different shutdown or reboot commands in the terminal (like: poweroff, reboot, shutdown -h now, halt)

- reinstalling ubuntu 18.04 LTS

- changed in /etc/default/grub the line GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash" to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi=force".



Then I tried doing a shutdown in the terminal before I logged in(Ctrl+Alt+F2). Luckily there came a output put it was also hanging. Here's the ouput:



[ 125.988764] nouveau 0000:01:00.0: Xorg[957]: failed to idle channel 3 [Xorg[957]]
[ 145.949670] NMI watchdog: Watchdog detected hard LOCKUP on cpu 2
[ 156.293427] watchdog: BUG: soft lockup - CPU#1 stuck for 22s! [kworker/1:1:34]
[ 184.293849] watchdog: BUG: soft lockup - CPU#1 stuck for 22s! [kworker/1:1:34]
[ 185.997661] INFO: rcu_sched detected stalls on CPUs/tasks:
[ 185.997908] $2-...: (1GPs behind) idle=146/140000000000000/0 softirq=4028/4128 fqs=7479
[ 185.997948] $(detected by 1, t=15002 jiffies, g=1011, c=1010, q=15535)
[ 212.293943] watchdog: BUG: soft lockup - CPU#1 stuck for 22s! [kworker/1:1:34]
[ 240:293901] watchdog: BUG: soft lockup - CPU#1 stuck for 22s! [kworker/1:1:34]
[ 242.857955] INFO: task kworker/u8:3:183 blocked for more than 120 seconds.
[ 242.857988] Tainted: G W L 4.13.0-37-generic #42~16.04.1-Ubuntu
[ 242.858006] "echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/hung_task_timeout_secs" disabled this message
[ 242.858065] INFO: task systemd-logind:762 blocked for more than 120 seconds
[ 242.858083] Tainted: G W L 4.13.0-37-generic #42~16.04.1-Ubuntu
[ 242.858101] "echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/hung_taks_timeout_secs" disabled this message


Now I recently downloaded Ubuntu 18.04 and I have the exact same problem.



Could anyone help me to solve this problem?







share|improve this question


























    up vote
    1
    down vote

    favorite
    1












    I bought a new laptop (Dell Inspiron 7577) and I installed Ubuntu 16.04 LTS on it. Before I did update and upgrade I tried to shutdown and reboot and it all worked properly, but after the sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade it didn't work anymore.



    What happens when I try to shutdown is: My screen just instantly freezes and I can't do anything more. Then I have to shutdown by holding the power button.



    I've tried several things like:

    - all different shutdown or reboot commands in the terminal (like: poweroff, reboot, shutdown -h now, halt)

    - reinstalling ubuntu 18.04 LTS

    - changed in /etc/default/grub the line GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash" to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi=force".



    Then I tried doing a shutdown in the terminal before I logged in(Ctrl+Alt+F2). Luckily there came a output put it was also hanging. Here's the ouput:



    [ 125.988764] nouveau 0000:01:00.0: Xorg[957]: failed to idle channel 3 [Xorg[957]]
    [ 145.949670] NMI watchdog: Watchdog detected hard LOCKUP on cpu 2
    [ 156.293427] watchdog: BUG: soft lockup - CPU#1 stuck for 22s! [kworker/1:1:34]
    [ 184.293849] watchdog: BUG: soft lockup - CPU#1 stuck for 22s! [kworker/1:1:34]
    [ 185.997661] INFO: rcu_sched detected stalls on CPUs/tasks:
    [ 185.997908] $2-...: (1GPs behind) idle=146/140000000000000/0 softirq=4028/4128 fqs=7479
    [ 185.997948] $(detected by 1, t=15002 jiffies, g=1011, c=1010, q=15535)
    [ 212.293943] watchdog: BUG: soft lockup - CPU#1 stuck for 22s! [kworker/1:1:34]
    [ 240:293901] watchdog: BUG: soft lockup - CPU#1 stuck for 22s! [kworker/1:1:34]
    [ 242.857955] INFO: task kworker/u8:3:183 blocked for more than 120 seconds.
    [ 242.857988] Tainted: G W L 4.13.0-37-generic #42~16.04.1-Ubuntu
    [ 242.858006] "echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/hung_task_timeout_secs" disabled this message
    [ 242.858065] INFO: task systemd-logind:762 blocked for more than 120 seconds
    [ 242.858083] Tainted: G W L 4.13.0-37-generic #42~16.04.1-Ubuntu
    [ 242.858101] "echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/hung_taks_timeout_secs" disabled this message


    Now I recently downloaded Ubuntu 18.04 and I have the exact same problem.



    Could anyone help me to solve this problem?







    share|improve this question
























      up vote
      1
      down vote

      favorite
      1









      up vote
      1
      down vote

      favorite
      1






      1





      I bought a new laptop (Dell Inspiron 7577) and I installed Ubuntu 16.04 LTS on it. Before I did update and upgrade I tried to shutdown and reboot and it all worked properly, but after the sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade it didn't work anymore.



      What happens when I try to shutdown is: My screen just instantly freezes and I can't do anything more. Then I have to shutdown by holding the power button.



      I've tried several things like:

      - all different shutdown or reboot commands in the terminal (like: poweroff, reboot, shutdown -h now, halt)

      - reinstalling ubuntu 18.04 LTS

      - changed in /etc/default/grub the line GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash" to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi=force".



      Then I tried doing a shutdown in the terminal before I logged in(Ctrl+Alt+F2). Luckily there came a output put it was also hanging. Here's the ouput:



      [ 125.988764] nouveau 0000:01:00.0: Xorg[957]: failed to idle channel 3 [Xorg[957]]
      [ 145.949670] NMI watchdog: Watchdog detected hard LOCKUP on cpu 2
      [ 156.293427] watchdog: BUG: soft lockup - CPU#1 stuck for 22s! [kworker/1:1:34]
      [ 184.293849] watchdog: BUG: soft lockup - CPU#1 stuck for 22s! [kworker/1:1:34]
      [ 185.997661] INFO: rcu_sched detected stalls on CPUs/tasks:
      [ 185.997908] $2-...: (1GPs behind) idle=146/140000000000000/0 softirq=4028/4128 fqs=7479
      [ 185.997948] $(detected by 1, t=15002 jiffies, g=1011, c=1010, q=15535)
      [ 212.293943] watchdog: BUG: soft lockup - CPU#1 stuck for 22s! [kworker/1:1:34]
      [ 240:293901] watchdog: BUG: soft lockup - CPU#1 stuck for 22s! [kworker/1:1:34]
      [ 242.857955] INFO: task kworker/u8:3:183 blocked for more than 120 seconds.
      [ 242.857988] Tainted: G W L 4.13.0-37-generic #42~16.04.1-Ubuntu
      [ 242.858006] "echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/hung_task_timeout_secs" disabled this message
      [ 242.858065] INFO: task systemd-logind:762 blocked for more than 120 seconds
      [ 242.858083] Tainted: G W L 4.13.0-37-generic #42~16.04.1-Ubuntu
      [ 242.858101] "echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/hung_taks_timeout_secs" disabled this message


      Now I recently downloaded Ubuntu 18.04 and I have the exact same problem.



      Could anyone help me to solve this problem?







      share|improve this question














      I bought a new laptop (Dell Inspiron 7577) and I installed Ubuntu 16.04 LTS on it. Before I did update and upgrade I tried to shutdown and reboot and it all worked properly, but after the sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade it didn't work anymore.



      What happens when I try to shutdown is: My screen just instantly freezes and I can't do anything more. Then I have to shutdown by holding the power button.



      I've tried several things like:

      - all different shutdown or reboot commands in the terminal (like: poweroff, reboot, shutdown -h now, halt)

      - reinstalling ubuntu 18.04 LTS

      - changed in /etc/default/grub the line GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash" to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi=force".



      Then I tried doing a shutdown in the terminal before I logged in(Ctrl+Alt+F2). Luckily there came a output put it was also hanging. Here's the ouput:



      [ 125.988764] nouveau 0000:01:00.0: Xorg[957]: failed to idle channel 3 [Xorg[957]]
      [ 145.949670] NMI watchdog: Watchdog detected hard LOCKUP on cpu 2
      [ 156.293427] watchdog: BUG: soft lockup - CPU#1 stuck for 22s! [kworker/1:1:34]
      [ 184.293849] watchdog: BUG: soft lockup - CPU#1 stuck for 22s! [kworker/1:1:34]
      [ 185.997661] INFO: rcu_sched detected stalls on CPUs/tasks:
      [ 185.997908] $2-...: (1GPs behind) idle=146/140000000000000/0 softirq=4028/4128 fqs=7479
      [ 185.997948] $(detected by 1, t=15002 jiffies, g=1011, c=1010, q=15535)
      [ 212.293943] watchdog: BUG: soft lockup - CPU#1 stuck for 22s! [kworker/1:1:34]
      [ 240:293901] watchdog: BUG: soft lockup - CPU#1 stuck for 22s! [kworker/1:1:34]
      [ 242.857955] INFO: task kworker/u8:3:183 blocked for more than 120 seconds.
      [ 242.857988] Tainted: G W L 4.13.0-37-generic #42~16.04.1-Ubuntu
      [ 242.858006] "echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/hung_task_timeout_secs" disabled this message
      [ 242.858065] INFO: task systemd-logind:762 blocked for more than 120 seconds
      [ 242.858083] Tainted: G W L 4.13.0-37-generic #42~16.04.1-Ubuntu
      [ 242.858101] "echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/hung_taks_timeout_secs" disabled this message


      Now I recently downloaded Ubuntu 18.04 and I have the exact same problem.



      Could anyone help me to solve this problem?









      share|improve this question













      share|improve this question




      share|improve this question








      edited Jul 18 at 11:25









      Melebius

      3,66041636




      3,66041636










      asked May 15 at 18:37









      elias

      114




      114




















          1 Answer
          1






          active

          oldest

          votes

















          up vote
          0
          down vote













          How about trying old linux-kernels ? --- for example, v4.0-vivid, v4.1-wily ~ v4.5-wily




          1. Install ukuu:



            sudo add-apt-repository ppa:teejee2008/ppa
            sudo apt-get update
            sudo apt-get install ukuu



          2. Check the list of available kernels:



            sudo ukuu --list



          3. install old kernels:



            sudo ukuu --install v4.5-wily



          4. Remove current kernel:



            • reboot by advanced mode and choose old kernel.



            • open terminal.



              sudo ukuu --remove (current kernel)







          share|improve this answer






















            Your Answer







            StackExchange.ready(function()
            var channelOptions =
            tags: "".split(" "),
            id: "89"
            ;
            initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

            StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
            // Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
            if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
            StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
            createEditor();
            );

            else
            createEditor();

            );

            function createEditor()
            StackExchange.prepareEditor(
            heartbeatType: 'answer',
            convertImagesToLinks: true,
            noModals: false,
            showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
            reputationToPostImages: 10,
            bindNavPrevention: true,
            postfix: "",
            onDemand: true,
            discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
            ,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
            );



            );








             

            draft saved


            draft discarded


















            StackExchange.ready(
            function ()
            StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1036652%2fshutdown-and-reboot-problem-with-ubuntu-16-04-and-18-04%23new-answer', 'question_page');

            );

            Post as a guest






























            1 Answer
            1






            active

            oldest

            votes








            1 Answer
            1






            active

            oldest

            votes









            active

            oldest

            votes






            active

            oldest

            votes








            up vote
            0
            down vote













            How about trying old linux-kernels ? --- for example, v4.0-vivid, v4.1-wily ~ v4.5-wily




            1. Install ukuu:



              sudo add-apt-repository ppa:teejee2008/ppa
              sudo apt-get update
              sudo apt-get install ukuu



            2. Check the list of available kernels:



              sudo ukuu --list



            3. install old kernels:



              sudo ukuu --install v4.5-wily



            4. Remove current kernel:



              • reboot by advanced mode and choose old kernel.



              • open terminal.



                sudo ukuu --remove (current kernel)







            share|improve this answer


























              up vote
              0
              down vote













              How about trying old linux-kernels ? --- for example, v4.0-vivid, v4.1-wily ~ v4.5-wily




              1. Install ukuu:



                sudo add-apt-repository ppa:teejee2008/ppa
                sudo apt-get update
                sudo apt-get install ukuu



              2. Check the list of available kernels:



                sudo ukuu --list



              3. install old kernels:



                sudo ukuu --install v4.5-wily



              4. Remove current kernel:



                • reboot by advanced mode and choose old kernel.



                • open terminal.



                  sudo ukuu --remove (current kernel)







              share|improve this answer
























                up vote
                0
                down vote










                up vote
                0
                down vote









                How about trying old linux-kernels ? --- for example, v4.0-vivid, v4.1-wily ~ v4.5-wily




                1. Install ukuu:



                  sudo add-apt-repository ppa:teejee2008/ppa
                  sudo apt-get update
                  sudo apt-get install ukuu



                2. Check the list of available kernels:



                  sudo ukuu --list



                3. install old kernels:



                  sudo ukuu --install v4.5-wily



                4. Remove current kernel:



                  • reboot by advanced mode and choose old kernel.



                  • open terminal.



                    sudo ukuu --remove (current kernel)







                share|improve this answer














                How about trying old linux-kernels ? --- for example, v4.0-vivid, v4.1-wily ~ v4.5-wily




                1. Install ukuu:



                  sudo add-apt-repository ppa:teejee2008/ppa
                  sudo apt-get update
                  sudo apt-get install ukuu



                2. Check the list of available kernels:



                  sudo ukuu --list



                3. install old kernels:



                  sudo ukuu --install v4.5-wily



                4. Remove current kernel:



                  • reboot by advanced mode and choose old kernel.



                  • open terminal.



                    sudo ukuu --remove (current kernel)








                share|improve this answer














                share|improve this answer



                share|improve this answer








                edited Aug 21 at 9:26









                abu_bua

                2,0231720




                2,0231720










                answered Aug 21 at 6:57









                bayou

                415




                415






















                     

                    draft saved


                    draft discarded


























                     


                    draft saved


                    draft discarded














                    StackExchange.ready(
                    function ()
                    StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1036652%2fshutdown-and-reboot-problem-with-ubuntu-16-04-and-18-04%23new-answer', 'question_page');

                    );

                    Post as a guest













































































                    Popular posts from this blog

                    Which professions warranted travel in Medieval times?

                    How do so many people here on Academia.SE, and in general, afford lavish higher education programs?

                    Trouble downloading packages list due to a “Hash sum mismatch” error