Cannot use screen capture apps in Wayland

The name of the pictureThe name of the pictureThe name of the pictureClash Royale CLAN TAG#URR8PPP








up vote
2
down vote

favorite












I have Ubuntu 18.04 (updated from 17.10 where I had the same problem), and when I use it with Wayland, I cannot use any screen capturing/recording apps. For instance, when I try to take a screenshot with Shutter, I get a weird pattern instead of what's actually on my screen:
shutter



I know I can just switch to GNOME/Ubuntu on Xorg, but sometimes that's not an option. Is there a fix for this? Or a certain app that works as it should on Wayland?







share|improve this question
























    up vote
    2
    down vote

    favorite












    I have Ubuntu 18.04 (updated from 17.10 where I had the same problem), and when I use it with Wayland, I cannot use any screen capturing/recording apps. For instance, when I try to take a screenshot with Shutter, I get a weird pattern instead of what's actually on my screen:
    shutter



    I know I can just switch to GNOME/Ubuntu on Xorg, but sometimes that's not an option. Is there a fix for this? Or a certain app that works as it should on Wayland?







    share|improve this question






















      up vote
      2
      down vote

      favorite









      up vote
      2
      down vote

      favorite











      I have Ubuntu 18.04 (updated from 17.10 where I had the same problem), and when I use it with Wayland, I cannot use any screen capturing/recording apps. For instance, when I try to take a screenshot with Shutter, I get a weird pattern instead of what's actually on my screen:
      shutter



      I know I can just switch to GNOME/Ubuntu on Xorg, but sometimes that's not an option. Is there a fix for this? Or a certain app that works as it should on Wayland?







      share|improve this question












      I have Ubuntu 18.04 (updated from 17.10 where I had the same problem), and when I use it with Wayland, I cannot use any screen capturing/recording apps. For instance, when I try to take a screenshot with Shutter, I get a weird pattern instead of what's actually on my screen:
      shutter



      I know I can just switch to GNOME/Ubuntu on Xorg, but sometimes that's not an option. Is there a fix for this? Or a certain app that works as it should on Wayland?









      share|improve this question











      share|improve this question




      share|improve this question










      asked May 15 at 15:03









      SakoDaemon

      10110




      10110




















          1 Answer
          1






          active

          oldest

          votes

















          up vote
          1
          down vote



          accepted










          The default Screenshot (gnome-screenshot) application should work fine. Search for it in the "Activities" overview or use the Prt Sc key. You can capture your whole screen just by running



          gnome-screenshot


          For the GUI, run



          gnome-screenshot -i


          Run



          gnome-screenshot -h


          to see all possible options.






          share|improve this answer






















          • Thank you, no idea how I didn't think of the default app. Do you have any idea as to why these apps don't work on Wayland though?
            – SakoDaemon
            May 15 at 15:20










          • Additionally, what should I use for recording the screen? SimpleScreenRecorder only seems to capture a black screen and my cursor.
            – SakoDaemon
            May 15 at 15:21






          • 1




            @IoanaAlexandru Simple answer is those applications are not written for Wayland yet. Applications which are not compatible with Wayland yet run under a XWayland compatibility layer. But advanced applications, which depend on and/or control X11 server "too much" (screen-capturing/recording etc.), might fail to run in a Wayland session (Wayland has a stricter security policy). If you use Skype you would find the screen-sharing option doesn't work in Wayland, but works in Xorg.
            – pomsky
            May 15 at 15:25






          • 1




            @IoanaAlexandru Same issue with screen-recording apps. Green Recorder claims to be Wayland compatible, but I have seen others complaining about its performance in a Wayland session (haven't tried it myself).
            – pomsky
            May 15 at 15:28











          Your Answer







          StackExchange.ready(function()
          var channelOptions =
          tags: "".split(" "),
          id: "89"
          ;
          initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

          StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
          // Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
          if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
          StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
          createEditor();
          );

          else
          createEditor();

          );

          function createEditor()
          StackExchange.prepareEditor(
          heartbeatType: 'answer',
          convertImagesToLinks: true,
          noModals: false,
          showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
          reputationToPostImages: 10,
          bindNavPrevention: true,
          postfix: "",
          onDemand: true,
          discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
          ,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
          );



          );








           

          draft saved


          draft discarded


















          StackExchange.ready(
          function ()
          StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1036570%2fcannot-use-screen-capture-apps-in-wayland%23new-answer', 'question_page');

          );

          Post as a guest






























          1 Answer
          1






          active

          oldest

          votes








          1 Answer
          1






          active

          oldest

          votes









          active

          oldest

          votes






          active

          oldest

          votes








          up vote
          1
          down vote



          accepted










          The default Screenshot (gnome-screenshot) application should work fine. Search for it in the "Activities" overview or use the Prt Sc key. You can capture your whole screen just by running



          gnome-screenshot


          For the GUI, run



          gnome-screenshot -i


          Run



          gnome-screenshot -h


          to see all possible options.






          share|improve this answer






















          • Thank you, no idea how I didn't think of the default app. Do you have any idea as to why these apps don't work on Wayland though?
            – SakoDaemon
            May 15 at 15:20










          • Additionally, what should I use for recording the screen? SimpleScreenRecorder only seems to capture a black screen and my cursor.
            – SakoDaemon
            May 15 at 15:21






          • 1




            @IoanaAlexandru Simple answer is those applications are not written for Wayland yet. Applications which are not compatible with Wayland yet run under a XWayland compatibility layer. But advanced applications, which depend on and/or control X11 server "too much" (screen-capturing/recording etc.), might fail to run in a Wayland session (Wayland has a stricter security policy). If you use Skype you would find the screen-sharing option doesn't work in Wayland, but works in Xorg.
            – pomsky
            May 15 at 15:25






          • 1




            @IoanaAlexandru Same issue with screen-recording apps. Green Recorder claims to be Wayland compatible, but I have seen others complaining about its performance in a Wayland session (haven't tried it myself).
            – pomsky
            May 15 at 15:28















          up vote
          1
          down vote



          accepted










          The default Screenshot (gnome-screenshot) application should work fine. Search for it in the "Activities" overview or use the Prt Sc key. You can capture your whole screen just by running



          gnome-screenshot


          For the GUI, run



          gnome-screenshot -i


          Run



          gnome-screenshot -h


          to see all possible options.






          share|improve this answer






















          • Thank you, no idea how I didn't think of the default app. Do you have any idea as to why these apps don't work on Wayland though?
            – SakoDaemon
            May 15 at 15:20










          • Additionally, what should I use for recording the screen? SimpleScreenRecorder only seems to capture a black screen and my cursor.
            – SakoDaemon
            May 15 at 15:21






          • 1




            @IoanaAlexandru Simple answer is those applications are not written for Wayland yet. Applications which are not compatible with Wayland yet run under a XWayland compatibility layer. But advanced applications, which depend on and/or control X11 server "too much" (screen-capturing/recording etc.), might fail to run in a Wayland session (Wayland has a stricter security policy). If you use Skype you would find the screen-sharing option doesn't work in Wayland, but works in Xorg.
            – pomsky
            May 15 at 15:25






          • 1




            @IoanaAlexandru Same issue with screen-recording apps. Green Recorder claims to be Wayland compatible, but I have seen others complaining about its performance in a Wayland session (haven't tried it myself).
            – pomsky
            May 15 at 15:28













          up vote
          1
          down vote



          accepted







          up vote
          1
          down vote



          accepted






          The default Screenshot (gnome-screenshot) application should work fine. Search for it in the "Activities" overview or use the Prt Sc key. You can capture your whole screen just by running



          gnome-screenshot


          For the GUI, run



          gnome-screenshot -i


          Run



          gnome-screenshot -h


          to see all possible options.






          share|improve this answer














          The default Screenshot (gnome-screenshot) application should work fine. Search for it in the "Activities" overview or use the Prt Sc key. You can capture your whole screen just by running



          gnome-screenshot


          For the GUI, run



          gnome-screenshot -i


          Run



          gnome-screenshot -h


          to see all possible options.







          share|improve this answer














          share|improve this answer



          share|improve this answer








          edited May 15 at 15:13

























          answered May 15 at 15:08









          pomsky

          21.7k76594




          21.7k76594











          • Thank you, no idea how I didn't think of the default app. Do you have any idea as to why these apps don't work on Wayland though?
            – SakoDaemon
            May 15 at 15:20










          • Additionally, what should I use for recording the screen? SimpleScreenRecorder only seems to capture a black screen and my cursor.
            – SakoDaemon
            May 15 at 15:21






          • 1




            @IoanaAlexandru Simple answer is those applications are not written for Wayland yet. Applications which are not compatible with Wayland yet run under a XWayland compatibility layer. But advanced applications, which depend on and/or control X11 server "too much" (screen-capturing/recording etc.), might fail to run in a Wayland session (Wayland has a stricter security policy). If you use Skype you would find the screen-sharing option doesn't work in Wayland, but works in Xorg.
            – pomsky
            May 15 at 15:25






          • 1




            @IoanaAlexandru Same issue with screen-recording apps. Green Recorder claims to be Wayland compatible, but I have seen others complaining about its performance in a Wayland session (haven't tried it myself).
            – pomsky
            May 15 at 15:28

















          • Thank you, no idea how I didn't think of the default app. Do you have any idea as to why these apps don't work on Wayland though?
            – SakoDaemon
            May 15 at 15:20










          • Additionally, what should I use for recording the screen? SimpleScreenRecorder only seems to capture a black screen and my cursor.
            – SakoDaemon
            May 15 at 15:21






          • 1




            @IoanaAlexandru Simple answer is those applications are not written for Wayland yet. Applications which are not compatible with Wayland yet run under a XWayland compatibility layer. But advanced applications, which depend on and/or control X11 server "too much" (screen-capturing/recording etc.), might fail to run in a Wayland session (Wayland has a stricter security policy). If you use Skype you would find the screen-sharing option doesn't work in Wayland, but works in Xorg.
            – pomsky
            May 15 at 15:25






          • 1




            @IoanaAlexandru Same issue with screen-recording apps. Green Recorder claims to be Wayland compatible, but I have seen others complaining about its performance in a Wayland session (haven't tried it myself).
            – pomsky
            May 15 at 15:28
















          Thank you, no idea how I didn't think of the default app. Do you have any idea as to why these apps don't work on Wayland though?
          – SakoDaemon
          May 15 at 15:20




          Thank you, no idea how I didn't think of the default app. Do you have any idea as to why these apps don't work on Wayland though?
          – SakoDaemon
          May 15 at 15:20












          Additionally, what should I use for recording the screen? SimpleScreenRecorder only seems to capture a black screen and my cursor.
          – SakoDaemon
          May 15 at 15:21




          Additionally, what should I use for recording the screen? SimpleScreenRecorder only seems to capture a black screen and my cursor.
          – SakoDaemon
          May 15 at 15:21




          1




          1




          @IoanaAlexandru Simple answer is those applications are not written for Wayland yet. Applications which are not compatible with Wayland yet run under a XWayland compatibility layer. But advanced applications, which depend on and/or control X11 server "too much" (screen-capturing/recording etc.), might fail to run in a Wayland session (Wayland has a stricter security policy). If you use Skype you would find the screen-sharing option doesn't work in Wayland, but works in Xorg.
          – pomsky
          May 15 at 15:25




          @IoanaAlexandru Simple answer is those applications are not written for Wayland yet. Applications which are not compatible with Wayland yet run under a XWayland compatibility layer. But advanced applications, which depend on and/or control X11 server "too much" (screen-capturing/recording etc.), might fail to run in a Wayland session (Wayland has a stricter security policy). If you use Skype you would find the screen-sharing option doesn't work in Wayland, but works in Xorg.
          – pomsky
          May 15 at 15:25




          1




          1




          @IoanaAlexandru Same issue with screen-recording apps. Green Recorder claims to be Wayland compatible, but I have seen others complaining about its performance in a Wayland session (haven't tried it myself).
          – pomsky
          May 15 at 15:28





          @IoanaAlexandru Same issue with screen-recording apps. Green Recorder claims to be Wayland compatible, but I have seen others complaining about its performance in a Wayland session (haven't tried it myself).
          – pomsky
          May 15 at 15:28













           

          draft saved


          draft discarded


























           


          draft saved


          draft discarded














          StackExchange.ready(
          function ()
          StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1036570%2fcannot-use-screen-capture-apps-in-wayland%23new-answer', 'question_page');

          );

          Post as a guest













































































          Popular posts from this blog

          Which professions warranted travel in Medieval times?

          How do so many people here on Academia.SE, and in general, afford lavish higher education programs?

          Trouble downloading packages list due to a “Hash sum mismatch” error