nvidia-modprobe doesn't work, but modprobe nvidia does – NVIDIA GPU disabled?

The name of the pictureThe name of the pictureThe name of the pictureClash Royale CLAN TAG#URR8PPP








up vote
0
down vote

favorite












When I first boot up my computer, nvidia-modprobe exits with an error code, without printing any message, while sudo modprobe nvidia succeeds. I dug into the source code and found the code that checks for NVIDIA devices to be the culprit. I tried using lspci -vnn, which gives the following output for the NVIDIA card:



09:00.0 3D controller [0302]: NVIDIA Corporation GM108M [GeForce 930M] [10de:1346] (rev ff) (prog-if ff)
!!! Unknown header type 7f
Kernel modules: nvidiafb, nouveau, nvidia_drm, nvidia


I then looked at /proc/bus/pci/devices/0000:09:00.0/config, which turned out to be filled with ff bytes. Accessing the device or vendor file, on the other hand, gives the expected result.



Upon further inspection, /proc/bus/pci/devices/0000:09:00.0/enable contains 0. Echoing 1 into that file as root makes config contain the expected result.



Once I use sudo modprobe nvidia, future invocations of nvidia-modprobe succeeds until the next reboot, even if the nvidia kernel module is later unloaded.



Of course, I could build my own version of nvidia-modprobe that removes the checks for NVIDIA devices, but that would cause problems if I wanted to update my NVIDIA drivers.



Is there a way to solve this issue or am I looking at the wrong problem?







share|improve this question
























    up vote
    0
    down vote

    favorite












    When I first boot up my computer, nvidia-modprobe exits with an error code, without printing any message, while sudo modprobe nvidia succeeds. I dug into the source code and found the code that checks for NVIDIA devices to be the culprit. I tried using lspci -vnn, which gives the following output for the NVIDIA card:



    09:00.0 3D controller [0302]: NVIDIA Corporation GM108M [GeForce 930M] [10de:1346] (rev ff) (prog-if ff)
    !!! Unknown header type 7f
    Kernel modules: nvidiafb, nouveau, nvidia_drm, nvidia


    I then looked at /proc/bus/pci/devices/0000:09:00.0/config, which turned out to be filled with ff bytes. Accessing the device or vendor file, on the other hand, gives the expected result.



    Upon further inspection, /proc/bus/pci/devices/0000:09:00.0/enable contains 0. Echoing 1 into that file as root makes config contain the expected result.



    Once I use sudo modprobe nvidia, future invocations of nvidia-modprobe succeeds until the next reboot, even if the nvidia kernel module is later unloaded.



    Of course, I could build my own version of nvidia-modprobe that removes the checks for NVIDIA devices, but that would cause problems if I wanted to update my NVIDIA drivers.



    Is there a way to solve this issue or am I looking at the wrong problem?







    share|improve this question






















      up vote
      0
      down vote

      favorite









      up vote
      0
      down vote

      favorite











      When I first boot up my computer, nvidia-modprobe exits with an error code, without printing any message, while sudo modprobe nvidia succeeds. I dug into the source code and found the code that checks for NVIDIA devices to be the culprit. I tried using lspci -vnn, which gives the following output for the NVIDIA card:



      09:00.0 3D controller [0302]: NVIDIA Corporation GM108M [GeForce 930M] [10de:1346] (rev ff) (prog-if ff)
      !!! Unknown header type 7f
      Kernel modules: nvidiafb, nouveau, nvidia_drm, nvidia


      I then looked at /proc/bus/pci/devices/0000:09:00.0/config, which turned out to be filled with ff bytes. Accessing the device or vendor file, on the other hand, gives the expected result.



      Upon further inspection, /proc/bus/pci/devices/0000:09:00.0/enable contains 0. Echoing 1 into that file as root makes config contain the expected result.



      Once I use sudo modprobe nvidia, future invocations of nvidia-modprobe succeeds until the next reboot, even if the nvidia kernel module is later unloaded.



      Of course, I could build my own version of nvidia-modprobe that removes the checks for NVIDIA devices, but that would cause problems if I wanted to update my NVIDIA drivers.



      Is there a way to solve this issue or am I looking at the wrong problem?







      share|improve this question












      When I first boot up my computer, nvidia-modprobe exits with an error code, without printing any message, while sudo modprobe nvidia succeeds. I dug into the source code and found the code that checks for NVIDIA devices to be the culprit. I tried using lspci -vnn, which gives the following output for the NVIDIA card:



      09:00.0 3D controller [0302]: NVIDIA Corporation GM108M [GeForce 930M] [10de:1346] (rev ff) (prog-if ff)
      !!! Unknown header type 7f
      Kernel modules: nvidiafb, nouveau, nvidia_drm, nvidia


      I then looked at /proc/bus/pci/devices/0000:09:00.0/config, which turned out to be filled with ff bytes. Accessing the device or vendor file, on the other hand, gives the expected result.



      Upon further inspection, /proc/bus/pci/devices/0000:09:00.0/enable contains 0. Echoing 1 into that file as root makes config contain the expected result.



      Once I use sudo modprobe nvidia, future invocations of nvidia-modprobe succeeds until the next reboot, even if the nvidia kernel module is later unloaded.



      Of course, I could build my own version of nvidia-modprobe that removes the checks for NVIDIA devices, but that would cause problems if I wanted to update my NVIDIA drivers.



      Is there a way to solve this issue or am I looking at the wrong problem?









      share|improve this question











      share|improve this question




      share|improve this question










      asked May 20 at 7:03









      bb94

      189110




      189110

























          active

          oldest

          votes











          Your Answer







          StackExchange.ready(function()
          var channelOptions =
          tags: "".split(" "),
          id: "89"
          ;
          initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

          StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
          // Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
          if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
          StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
          createEditor();
          );

          else
          createEditor();

          );

          function createEditor()
          StackExchange.prepareEditor(
          heartbeatType: 'answer',
          convertImagesToLinks: true,
          noModals: false,
          showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
          reputationToPostImages: 10,
          bindNavPrevention: true,
          postfix: "",
          onDemand: true,
          discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
          ,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
          );



          );








           

          draft saved


          draft discarded


















          StackExchange.ready(
          function ()
          StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1038292%2fnvidia-modprobe-doesnt-work-but-modprobe-nvidia-does-nvidia-gpu-disabled%23new-answer', 'question_page');

          );

          Post as a guest



































          active

          oldest

          votes













          active

          oldest

          votes









          active

          oldest

          votes






          active

          oldest

          votes










           

          draft saved


          draft discarded


























           


          draft saved


          draft discarded














          StackExchange.ready(
          function ()
          StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1038292%2fnvidia-modprobe-doesnt-work-but-modprobe-nvidia-does-nvidia-gpu-disabled%23new-answer', 'question_page');

          );

          Post as a guest













































































          Popular posts from this blog

          Which professions warranted travel in Medieval times?

          How do so many people here on Academia.SE, and in general, afford lavish higher education programs?

          Trouble downloading packages list due to a “Hash sum mismatch” error