Problems installing Nodejs as a tarball

The name of the pictureThe name of the pictureThe name of the pictureClash Royale CLAN TAG#URR8PPP








up vote
0
down vote

favorite












I downloaded NodeJS from the official website as a tarball and extracted it but I can't install it. The BULDING.md file says I should



./configure


then



make -j4


However, trying ./configure inside the directory returns this error:



bash: ./configure: No such file or directory


I solved this error (see the comments), but now after running make -j4 I get this error:



node bin/npm-cli.js install marked --no-global --no-timing --no-save
node bin/npm-cli.js install marked-man --no-global --no-timing --no-save
bash: node: command not found
bash: node: command not found
Makefile:154: recipe for target 'node_modules/.bin/marked' failed
make: *** [node_modules/.bin/marked] Error 127
make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
Makefile:159: recipe for target 'node_modules/.bin/marked-man' failed
make: *** [node_modules/.bin/marked-man] Error 127


yet I have all dependencies (git, python, g++ and make). What am I missing here?
Note: I know I could install it using apt but I want to use this as part of learning.







share|improve this question






















  • The apt package is not up-to-date but the node snap package is kept up-to-date, so there's no longer any reason to compile the tarball. To install the node snap package in all currently supported versions of Ubuntu: askubuntu.com/questions/594656/…
    – karel
    May 21 at 12:29










  • @karel good to hear, but what's wrong in this specific case?
    – Samuel
    May 21 at 13:19










  • The instructions for building Node.js in this specific case are contained in the BUILDING.md file in the tarball that you downloaded (node-v8.11.2.tar.gz). The commands to build Node.js are 1. ./configure and 2. make -j4 The first command in your question is .configure which is wrong. It should be ./configure
    – karel
    May 21 at 13:33











  • The building.md file is the one I was calling readme file but those are the exact same instructions that I followed. Running ./configure gives the above error.
    – Samuel
    May 21 at 13:36











  • You need to change directories using cd to the directory containing the configure file (so that bash can find it) before running the ./configure command.
    – karel
    May 21 at 13:42















up vote
0
down vote

favorite












I downloaded NodeJS from the official website as a tarball and extracted it but I can't install it. The BULDING.md file says I should



./configure


then



make -j4


However, trying ./configure inside the directory returns this error:



bash: ./configure: No such file or directory


I solved this error (see the comments), but now after running make -j4 I get this error:



node bin/npm-cli.js install marked --no-global --no-timing --no-save
node bin/npm-cli.js install marked-man --no-global --no-timing --no-save
bash: node: command not found
bash: node: command not found
Makefile:154: recipe for target 'node_modules/.bin/marked' failed
make: *** [node_modules/.bin/marked] Error 127
make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
Makefile:159: recipe for target 'node_modules/.bin/marked-man' failed
make: *** [node_modules/.bin/marked-man] Error 127


yet I have all dependencies (git, python, g++ and make). What am I missing here?
Note: I know I could install it using apt but I want to use this as part of learning.







share|improve this question






















  • The apt package is not up-to-date but the node snap package is kept up-to-date, so there's no longer any reason to compile the tarball. To install the node snap package in all currently supported versions of Ubuntu: askubuntu.com/questions/594656/…
    – karel
    May 21 at 12:29










  • @karel good to hear, but what's wrong in this specific case?
    – Samuel
    May 21 at 13:19










  • The instructions for building Node.js in this specific case are contained in the BUILDING.md file in the tarball that you downloaded (node-v8.11.2.tar.gz). The commands to build Node.js are 1. ./configure and 2. make -j4 The first command in your question is .configure which is wrong. It should be ./configure
    – karel
    May 21 at 13:33











  • The building.md file is the one I was calling readme file but those are the exact same instructions that I followed. Running ./configure gives the above error.
    – Samuel
    May 21 at 13:36











  • You need to change directories using cd to the directory containing the configure file (so that bash can find it) before running the ./configure command.
    – karel
    May 21 at 13:42













up vote
0
down vote

favorite









up vote
0
down vote

favorite











I downloaded NodeJS from the official website as a tarball and extracted it but I can't install it. The BULDING.md file says I should



./configure


then



make -j4


However, trying ./configure inside the directory returns this error:



bash: ./configure: No such file or directory


I solved this error (see the comments), but now after running make -j4 I get this error:



node bin/npm-cli.js install marked --no-global --no-timing --no-save
node bin/npm-cli.js install marked-man --no-global --no-timing --no-save
bash: node: command not found
bash: node: command not found
Makefile:154: recipe for target 'node_modules/.bin/marked' failed
make: *** [node_modules/.bin/marked] Error 127
make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
Makefile:159: recipe for target 'node_modules/.bin/marked-man' failed
make: *** [node_modules/.bin/marked-man] Error 127


yet I have all dependencies (git, python, g++ and make). What am I missing here?
Note: I know I could install it using apt but I want to use this as part of learning.







share|improve this question














I downloaded NodeJS from the official website as a tarball and extracted it but I can't install it. The BULDING.md file says I should



./configure


then



make -j4


However, trying ./configure inside the directory returns this error:



bash: ./configure: No such file or directory


I solved this error (see the comments), but now after running make -j4 I get this error:



node bin/npm-cli.js install marked --no-global --no-timing --no-save
node bin/npm-cli.js install marked-man --no-global --no-timing --no-save
bash: node: command not found
bash: node: command not found
Makefile:154: recipe for target 'node_modules/.bin/marked' failed
make: *** [node_modules/.bin/marked] Error 127
make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
Makefile:159: recipe for target 'node_modules/.bin/marked-man' failed
make: *** [node_modules/.bin/marked-man] Error 127


yet I have all dependencies (git, python, g++ and make). What am I missing here?
Note: I know I could install it using apt but I want to use this as part of learning.









share|improve this question













share|improve this question




share|improve this question








edited May 21 at 13:55









karel

49.7k11105127




49.7k11105127










asked May 21 at 12:16









Samuel

33




33











  • The apt package is not up-to-date but the node snap package is kept up-to-date, so there's no longer any reason to compile the tarball. To install the node snap package in all currently supported versions of Ubuntu: askubuntu.com/questions/594656/…
    – karel
    May 21 at 12:29










  • @karel good to hear, but what's wrong in this specific case?
    – Samuel
    May 21 at 13:19










  • The instructions for building Node.js in this specific case are contained in the BUILDING.md file in the tarball that you downloaded (node-v8.11.2.tar.gz). The commands to build Node.js are 1. ./configure and 2. make -j4 The first command in your question is .configure which is wrong. It should be ./configure
    – karel
    May 21 at 13:33











  • The building.md file is the one I was calling readme file but those are the exact same instructions that I followed. Running ./configure gives the above error.
    – Samuel
    May 21 at 13:36











  • You need to change directories using cd to the directory containing the configure file (so that bash can find it) before running the ./configure command.
    – karel
    May 21 at 13:42

















  • The apt package is not up-to-date but the node snap package is kept up-to-date, so there's no longer any reason to compile the tarball. To install the node snap package in all currently supported versions of Ubuntu: askubuntu.com/questions/594656/…
    – karel
    May 21 at 12:29










  • @karel good to hear, but what's wrong in this specific case?
    – Samuel
    May 21 at 13:19










  • The instructions for building Node.js in this specific case are contained in the BUILDING.md file in the tarball that you downloaded (node-v8.11.2.tar.gz). The commands to build Node.js are 1. ./configure and 2. make -j4 The first command in your question is .configure which is wrong. It should be ./configure
    – karel
    May 21 at 13:33











  • The building.md file is the one I was calling readme file but those are the exact same instructions that I followed. Running ./configure gives the above error.
    – Samuel
    May 21 at 13:36











  • You need to change directories using cd to the directory containing the configure file (so that bash can find it) before running the ./configure command.
    – karel
    May 21 at 13:42
















The apt package is not up-to-date but the node snap package is kept up-to-date, so there's no longer any reason to compile the tarball. To install the node snap package in all currently supported versions of Ubuntu: askubuntu.com/questions/594656/…
– karel
May 21 at 12:29




The apt package is not up-to-date but the node snap package is kept up-to-date, so there's no longer any reason to compile the tarball. To install the node snap package in all currently supported versions of Ubuntu: askubuntu.com/questions/594656/…
– karel
May 21 at 12:29












@karel good to hear, but what's wrong in this specific case?
– Samuel
May 21 at 13:19




@karel good to hear, but what's wrong in this specific case?
– Samuel
May 21 at 13:19












The instructions for building Node.js in this specific case are contained in the BUILDING.md file in the tarball that you downloaded (node-v8.11.2.tar.gz). The commands to build Node.js are 1. ./configure and 2. make -j4 The first command in your question is .configure which is wrong. It should be ./configure
– karel
May 21 at 13:33





The instructions for building Node.js in this specific case are contained in the BUILDING.md file in the tarball that you downloaded (node-v8.11.2.tar.gz). The commands to build Node.js are 1. ./configure and 2. make -j4 The first command in your question is .configure which is wrong. It should be ./configure
– karel
May 21 at 13:33













The building.md file is the one I was calling readme file but those are the exact same instructions that I followed. Running ./configure gives the above error.
– Samuel
May 21 at 13:36





The building.md file is the one I was calling readme file but those are the exact same instructions that I followed. Running ./configure gives the above error.
– Samuel
May 21 at 13:36













You need to change directories using cd to the directory containing the configure file (so that bash can find it) before running the ./configure command.
– karel
May 21 at 13:42





You need to change directories using cd to the directory containing the configure file (so that bash can find it) before running the ./configure command.
– karel
May 21 at 13:42
















active

oldest

votes











Your Answer







StackExchange.ready(function()
var channelOptions =
tags: "".split(" "),
id: "89"
;
initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
// Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
createEditor();
);

else
createEditor();

);

function createEditor()
StackExchange.prepareEditor(
heartbeatType: 'answer',
convertImagesToLinks: true,
noModals: false,
showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
reputationToPostImages: 10,
bindNavPrevention: true,
postfix: "",
onDemand: true,
discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
);



);








 

draft saved


draft discarded


















StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1038687%2fproblems-installing-nodejs-as-a-tarball%23new-answer', 'question_page');

);

Post as a guest



































active

oldest

votes













active

oldest

votes









active

oldest

votes






active

oldest

votes










 

draft saved


draft discarded


























 


draft saved


draft discarded














StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1038687%2fproblems-installing-nodejs-as-a-tarball%23new-answer', 'question_page');

);

Post as a guest













































































Popular posts from this blog

Which professions warranted travel in Medieval times?

How do so many people here on Academia.SE, and in general, afford lavish higher education programs?

Trouble downloading packages list due to a “Hash sum mismatch” error