I need to start gdm manually

The name of the pictureThe name of the pictureThe name of the pictureClash Royale CLAN TAG#URR8PPP








up vote
0
down vote

favorite












After a difficult update to 18.04 my system is booting into a tty and not into the gnome shell. I found that lightdm was still installed and wanted to start. I deinstalled lightdm and when I do "sudo systemctl start gdm", gnome starts and all is ok. How can I correct this so that my system start normally? Do I need a target for SystemD?







share|improve this question




















  • To which tty (1-6) does the system boot? From which version and how did you upgrade the system (and what was difficult)?
    – danzel
    May 21 at 7:20














up vote
0
down vote

favorite












After a difficult update to 18.04 my system is booting into a tty and not into the gnome shell. I found that lightdm was still installed and wanted to start. I deinstalled lightdm and when I do "sudo systemctl start gdm", gnome starts and all is ok. How can I correct this so that my system start normally? Do I need a target for SystemD?







share|improve this question




















  • To which tty (1-6) does the system boot? From which version and how did you upgrade the system (and what was difficult)?
    – danzel
    May 21 at 7:20












up vote
0
down vote

favorite









up vote
0
down vote

favorite











After a difficult update to 18.04 my system is booting into a tty and not into the gnome shell. I found that lightdm was still installed and wanted to start. I deinstalled lightdm and when I do "sudo systemctl start gdm", gnome starts and all is ok. How can I correct this so that my system start normally? Do I need a target for SystemD?







share|improve this question












After a difficult update to 18.04 my system is booting into a tty and not into the gnome shell. I found that lightdm was still installed and wanted to start. I deinstalled lightdm and when I do "sudo systemctl start gdm", gnome starts and all is ok. How can I correct this so that my system start normally? Do I need a target for SystemD?









share|improve this question











share|improve this question




share|improve this question










asked May 21 at 6:45









jms

457515




457515











  • To which tty (1-6) does the system boot? From which version and how did you upgrade the system (and what was difficult)?
    – danzel
    May 21 at 7:20
















  • To which tty (1-6) does the system boot? From which version and how did you upgrade the system (and what was difficult)?
    – danzel
    May 21 at 7:20















To which tty (1-6) does the system boot? From which version and how did you upgrade the system (and what was difficult)?
– danzel
May 21 at 7:20




To which tty (1-6) does the system boot? From which version and how did you upgrade the system (and what was difficult)?
– danzel
May 21 at 7:20










1 Answer
1






active

oldest

votes

















up vote
0
down vote













I did "sudo apt install --reinstall gdm" and it was fixed.






share|improve this answer




















    Your Answer







    StackExchange.ready(function()
    var channelOptions =
    tags: "".split(" "),
    id: "89"
    ;
    initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

    StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
    // Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
    if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
    StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
    createEditor();
    );

    else
    createEditor();

    );

    function createEditor()
    StackExchange.prepareEditor(
    heartbeatType: 'answer',
    convertImagesToLinks: true,
    noModals: false,
    showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
    reputationToPostImages: 10,
    bindNavPrevention: true,
    postfix: "",
    onDemand: true,
    discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
    ,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
    );



    );








     

    draft saved


    draft discarded


















    StackExchange.ready(
    function ()
    StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1038579%2fi-need-to-start-gdm-manually%23new-answer', 'question_page');

    );

    Post as a guest






























    1 Answer
    1






    active

    oldest

    votes








    1 Answer
    1






    active

    oldest

    votes









    active

    oldest

    votes






    active

    oldest

    votes








    up vote
    0
    down vote













    I did "sudo apt install --reinstall gdm" and it was fixed.






    share|improve this answer
























      up vote
      0
      down vote













      I did "sudo apt install --reinstall gdm" and it was fixed.






      share|improve this answer






















        up vote
        0
        down vote










        up vote
        0
        down vote









        I did "sudo apt install --reinstall gdm" and it was fixed.






        share|improve this answer












        I did "sudo apt install --reinstall gdm" and it was fixed.







        share|improve this answer












        share|improve this answer



        share|improve this answer










        answered May 22 at 6:44









        jms

        457515




        457515






















             

            draft saved


            draft discarded


























             


            draft saved


            draft discarded














            StackExchange.ready(
            function ()
            StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1038579%2fi-need-to-start-gdm-manually%23new-answer', 'question_page');

            );

            Post as a guest













































































            Popular posts from this blog

            Which professions warranted travel in Medieval times?

            How do so many people here on Academia.SE, and in general, afford lavish higher education programs?

            Trouble downloading packages list due to a “Hash sum mismatch” error