Cannot launch terminal or nautilus in 18.04

The name of the pictureThe name of the pictureThe name of the pictureClash Royale CLAN TAG#URR8PPP








up vote
1
down vote

favorite












After upgrading to 18.04, I cannot launch terminal or nautilus from the favorites side bar. Xterm, however, is fine, and from there I can execute at least nautilus. Running gnome-terminal in the xterm window do nothing, except the warning "AT-SPI: Could not obtain desktop path or name"



Ctrl + Alt + T won't start the terminal, either. Nothing happens.



PS: I went from Ubuntu 16 through Ubuntu 17.10 without really using 17, perhaps I had the problems there, too.







share|improve this question






















  • watch this may be it helps you.
    – singrium
    May 20 at 20:18














up vote
1
down vote

favorite












After upgrading to 18.04, I cannot launch terminal or nautilus from the favorites side bar. Xterm, however, is fine, and from there I can execute at least nautilus. Running gnome-terminal in the xterm window do nothing, except the warning "AT-SPI: Could not obtain desktop path or name"



Ctrl + Alt + T won't start the terminal, either. Nothing happens.



PS: I went from Ubuntu 16 through Ubuntu 17.10 without really using 17, perhaps I had the problems there, too.







share|improve this question






















  • watch this may be it helps you.
    – singrium
    May 20 at 20:18












up vote
1
down vote

favorite









up vote
1
down vote

favorite











After upgrading to 18.04, I cannot launch terminal or nautilus from the favorites side bar. Xterm, however, is fine, and from there I can execute at least nautilus. Running gnome-terminal in the xterm window do nothing, except the warning "AT-SPI: Could not obtain desktop path or name"



Ctrl + Alt + T won't start the terminal, either. Nothing happens.



PS: I went from Ubuntu 16 through Ubuntu 17.10 without really using 17, perhaps I had the problems there, too.







share|improve this question














After upgrading to 18.04, I cannot launch terminal or nautilus from the favorites side bar. Xterm, however, is fine, and from there I can execute at least nautilus. Running gnome-terminal in the xterm window do nothing, except the warning "AT-SPI: Could not obtain desktop path or name"



Ctrl + Alt + T won't start the terminal, either. Nothing happens.



PS: I went from Ubuntu 16 through Ubuntu 17.10 without really using 17, perhaps I had the problems there, too.









share|improve this question













share|improve this question




share|improve this question








edited May 20 at 23:20









singrium

614113




614113










asked May 20 at 19:43









user117219

63




63











  • watch this may be it helps you.
    – singrium
    May 20 at 20:18
















  • watch this may be it helps you.
    – singrium
    May 20 at 20:18















watch this may be it helps you.
– singrium
May 20 at 20:18




watch this may be it helps you.
– singrium
May 20 at 20:18










1 Answer
1






active

oldest

votes

















up vote
0
down vote













I can answer my own question. It seems that the problem had something to do with old configuration files. I cleaned out a lot of stuff in the "dot" directories, as per hints elsewhere, and now it works as intended.






share|improve this answer




















  • Looking at the userids, this is not "your own question" ...
    – Pierre.Vriens
    May 22 at 0:21










  • In fact it is; I just did not understand the different ways of logging in to this forum.
    – Per Strömgren
    May 22 at 10:26










Your Answer







StackExchange.ready(function()
var channelOptions =
tags: "".split(" "),
id: "89"
;
initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
// Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
createEditor();
);

else
createEditor();

);

function createEditor()
StackExchange.prepareEditor(
heartbeatType: 'answer',
convertImagesToLinks: true,
noModals: false,
showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
reputationToPostImages: 10,
bindNavPrevention: true,
postfix: "",
onDemand: true,
discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
);



);








 

draft saved


draft discarded


















StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1038468%2fcannot-launch-terminal-or-nautilus-in-18-04%23new-answer', 'question_page');

);

Post as a guest






























1 Answer
1






active

oldest

votes








1 Answer
1






active

oldest

votes









active

oldest

votes






active

oldest

votes








up vote
0
down vote













I can answer my own question. It seems that the problem had something to do with old configuration files. I cleaned out a lot of stuff in the "dot" directories, as per hints elsewhere, and now it works as intended.






share|improve this answer




















  • Looking at the userids, this is not "your own question" ...
    – Pierre.Vriens
    May 22 at 0:21










  • In fact it is; I just did not understand the different ways of logging in to this forum.
    – Per Strömgren
    May 22 at 10:26














up vote
0
down vote













I can answer my own question. It seems that the problem had something to do with old configuration files. I cleaned out a lot of stuff in the "dot" directories, as per hints elsewhere, and now it works as intended.






share|improve this answer




















  • Looking at the userids, this is not "your own question" ...
    – Pierre.Vriens
    May 22 at 0:21










  • In fact it is; I just did not understand the different ways of logging in to this forum.
    – Per Strömgren
    May 22 at 10:26












up vote
0
down vote










up vote
0
down vote









I can answer my own question. It seems that the problem had something to do with old configuration files. I cleaned out a lot of stuff in the "dot" directories, as per hints elsewhere, and now it works as intended.






share|improve this answer












I can answer my own question. It seems that the problem had something to do with old configuration files. I cleaned out a lot of stuff in the "dot" directories, as per hints elsewhere, and now it works as intended.







share|improve this answer












share|improve this answer



share|improve this answer










answered May 21 at 21:18









Per Strömgren

1




1











  • Looking at the userids, this is not "your own question" ...
    – Pierre.Vriens
    May 22 at 0:21










  • In fact it is; I just did not understand the different ways of logging in to this forum.
    – Per Strömgren
    May 22 at 10:26
















  • Looking at the userids, this is not "your own question" ...
    – Pierre.Vriens
    May 22 at 0:21










  • In fact it is; I just did not understand the different ways of logging in to this forum.
    – Per Strömgren
    May 22 at 10:26















Looking at the userids, this is not "your own question" ...
– Pierre.Vriens
May 22 at 0:21




Looking at the userids, this is not "your own question" ...
– Pierre.Vriens
May 22 at 0:21












In fact it is; I just did not understand the different ways of logging in to this forum.
– Per Strömgren
May 22 at 10:26




In fact it is; I just did not understand the different ways of logging in to this forum.
– Per Strömgren
May 22 at 10:26












 

draft saved


draft discarded


























 


draft saved


draft discarded














StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1038468%2fcannot-launch-terminal-or-nautilus-in-18-04%23new-answer', 'question_page');

);

Post as a guest













































































Popular posts from this blog

Which professions warranted travel in Medieval times?

How do so many people here on Academia.SE, and in general, afford lavish higher education programs?

Trouble downloading packages list due to a “Hash sum mismatch” error