pm: cannot find swap device, try swapon -a

The name of the pictureThe name of the pictureThe name of the pictureClash Royale CLAN TAG#URR8PPP








up vote
1
down vote

favorite












I've just rebuilt a laptop with xubuntu 18.04. I'm having issues getting hibernation to work, swapfile has been increased to slightly more than the 6GB of memory installed, and seems to be available:



swapon -s

Filename Type Size Used Priority

/swapfile file 6655996 1992 -2


When I try and hibernate I see the following messages on screen:



PM: Cannot find swap device, try swapon -a 
PM: Cannot get swap writer


The syslog entries before that seem to suggest hibernation was going going OK up to then.



etc/default/grub contains: 
GRUB_DEFAULT=0
GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true
GRUB_TIMEOUT=10
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""


Any words of wisdom gratefully received...







share|improve this question






















  • After some more digging I've updated GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="" to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="resume=/dev/sda1 resume_offset=2047" and the current complaint is "PM: Swap header not found!". I thought that was covered by the resume_offset=2047? The offset is correct. @mike Sorry, I haven't got the hang of formatting stuff yet.
    – Iain
    May 20 at 18:06











  • I'm wondering if I've been wasting my time with trying to get hibernation working; Shutdown with the "Save session for future logins" seems to have more-or-less the same functionality. Apps that were open are remembered; pages open in Firefox need to refreshed, but the URLs have been remembered...
    – Iain
    May 20 at 19:15














up vote
1
down vote

favorite












I've just rebuilt a laptop with xubuntu 18.04. I'm having issues getting hibernation to work, swapfile has been increased to slightly more than the 6GB of memory installed, and seems to be available:



swapon -s

Filename Type Size Used Priority

/swapfile file 6655996 1992 -2


When I try and hibernate I see the following messages on screen:



PM: Cannot find swap device, try swapon -a 
PM: Cannot get swap writer


The syslog entries before that seem to suggest hibernation was going going OK up to then.



etc/default/grub contains: 
GRUB_DEFAULT=0
GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true
GRUB_TIMEOUT=10
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""


Any words of wisdom gratefully received...







share|improve this question






















  • After some more digging I've updated GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="" to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="resume=/dev/sda1 resume_offset=2047" and the current complaint is "PM: Swap header not found!". I thought that was covered by the resume_offset=2047? The offset is correct. @mike Sorry, I haven't got the hang of formatting stuff yet.
    – Iain
    May 20 at 18:06











  • I'm wondering if I've been wasting my time with trying to get hibernation working; Shutdown with the "Save session for future logins" seems to have more-or-less the same functionality. Apps that were open are remembered; pages open in Firefox need to refreshed, but the URLs have been remembered...
    – Iain
    May 20 at 19:15












up vote
1
down vote

favorite









up vote
1
down vote

favorite











I've just rebuilt a laptop with xubuntu 18.04. I'm having issues getting hibernation to work, swapfile has been increased to slightly more than the 6GB of memory installed, and seems to be available:



swapon -s

Filename Type Size Used Priority

/swapfile file 6655996 1992 -2


When I try and hibernate I see the following messages on screen:



PM: Cannot find swap device, try swapon -a 
PM: Cannot get swap writer


The syslog entries before that seem to suggest hibernation was going going OK up to then.



etc/default/grub contains: 
GRUB_DEFAULT=0
GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true
GRUB_TIMEOUT=10
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""


Any words of wisdom gratefully received...







share|improve this question














I've just rebuilt a laptop with xubuntu 18.04. I'm having issues getting hibernation to work, swapfile has been increased to slightly more than the 6GB of memory installed, and seems to be available:



swapon -s

Filename Type Size Used Priority

/swapfile file 6655996 1992 -2


When I try and hibernate I see the following messages on screen:



PM: Cannot find swap device, try swapon -a 
PM: Cannot get swap writer


The syslog entries before that seem to suggest hibernation was going going OK up to then.



etc/default/grub contains: 
GRUB_DEFAULT=0
GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true
GRUB_TIMEOUT=10
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""


Any words of wisdom gratefully received...









share|improve this question













share|improve this question




share|improve this question








edited May 20 at 12:18









mikewhatever

22.5k76584




22.5k76584










asked May 20 at 11:50









Iain

62




62











  • After some more digging I've updated GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="" to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="resume=/dev/sda1 resume_offset=2047" and the current complaint is "PM: Swap header not found!". I thought that was covered by the resume_offset=2047? The offset is correct. @mike Sorry, I haven't got the hang of formatting stuff yet.
    – Iain
    May 20 at 18:06











  • I'm wondering if I've been wasting my time with trying to get hibernation working; Shutdown with the "Save session for future logins" seems to have more-or-less the same functionality. Apps that were open are remembered; pages open in Firefox need to refreshed, but the URLs have been remembered...
    – Iain
    May 20 at 19:15
















  • After some more digging I've updated GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="" to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="resume=/dev/sda1 resume_offset=2047" and the current complaint is "PM: Swap header not found!". I thought that was covered by the resume_offset=2047? The offset is correct. @mike Sorry, I haven't got the hang of formatting stuff yet.
    – Iain
    May 20 at 18:06











  • I'm wondering if I've been wasting my time with trying to get hibernation working; Shutdown with the "Save session for future logins" seems to have more-or-less the same functionality. Apps that were open are remembered; pages open in Firefox need to refreshed, but the URLs have been remembered...
    – Iain
    May 20 at 19:15















After some more digging I've updated GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="" to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="resume=/dev/sda1 resume_offset=2047" and the current complaint is "PM: Swap header not found!". I thought that was covered by the resume_offset=2047? The offset is correct. @mike Sorry, I haven't got the hang of formatting stuff yet.
– Iain
May 20 at 18:06





After some more digging I've updated GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="" to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="resume=/dev/sda1 resume_offset=2047" and the current complaint is "PM: Swap header not found!". I thought that was covered by the resume_offset=2047? The offset is correct. @mike Sorry, I haven't got the hang of formatting stuff yet.
– Iain
May 20 at 18:06













I'm wondering if I've been wasting my time with trying to get hibernation working; Shutdown with the "Save session for future logins" seems to have more-or-less the same functionality. Apps that were open are remembered; pages open in Firefox need to refreshed, but the URLs have been remembered...
– Iain
May 20 at 19:15




I'm wondering if I've been wasting my time with trying to get hibernation working; Shutdown with the "Save session for future logins" seems to have more-or-less the same functionality. Apps that were open are remembered; pages open in Firefox need to refreshed, but the URLs have been remembered...
– Iain
May 20 at 19:15















active

oldest

votes











Your Answer







StackExchange.ready(function()
var channelOptions =
tags: "".split(" "),
id: "89"
;
initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
// Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
createEditor();
);

else
createEditor();

);

function createEditor()
StackExchange.prepareEditor(
heartbeatType: 'answer',
convertImagesToLinks: true,
noModals: false,
showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
reputationToPostImages: 10,
bindNavPrevention: true,
postfix: "",
onDemand: true,
discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
);



);








 

draft saved


draft discarded


















StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1038364%2fpm-cannot-find-swap-device-try-swapon-a%23new-answer', 'question_page');

);

Post as a guest



































active

oldest

votes













active

oldest

votes









active

oldest

votes






active

oldest

votes










 

draft saved


draft discarded


























 


draft saved


draft discarded














StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1038364%2fpm-cannot-find-swap-device-try-swapon-a%23new-answer', 'question_page');

);

Post as a guest













































































Popular posts from this blog

Which professions warranted travel in Medieval times?

How do so many people here on Academia.SE, and in general, afford lavish higher education programs?

Trouble downloading packages list due to a “Hash sum mismatch” error