Polynomial with unknown coefficients and exponents via pre-calculus techniques

The name of the pictureThe name of the pictureThe name of the pictureClash Royale CLAN TAG#URR8PPP








up vote
2
down vote

favorite












I have a question about a polynomial being divided by another, but there are multiple unknown parameters at play making this a very difficult question to figure out, but now we are restricting ourselves to solving this question with pre-calculus techniques only.
Here is the question:




Determine $a$ and $b$ such that $ax^n+2 + bx^n + 2$ is divisible by $(x-1)^2$








share|cite|improve this question





















  • I seem to remember a very similar question coming up recently, but I cannot locate it alas.
    – Lord Shark the Unknown
    35 mins ago














up vote
2
down vote

favorite












I have a question about a polynomial being divided by another, but there are multiple unknown parameters at play making this a very difficult question to figure out, but now we are restricting ourselves to solving this question with pre-calculus techniques only.
Here is the question:




Determine $a$ and $b$ such that $ax^n+2 + bx^n + 2$ is divisible by $(x-1)^2$








share|cite|improve this question





















  • I seem to remember a very similar question coming up recently, but I cannot locate it alas.
    – Lord Shark the Unknown
    35 mins ago












up vote
2
down vote

favorite









up vote
2
down vote

favorite











I have a question about a polynomial being divided by another, but there are multiple unknown parameters at play making this a very difficult question to figure out, but now we are restricting ourselves to solving this question with pre-calculus techniques only.
Here is the question:




Determine $a$ and $b$ such that $ax^n+2 + bx^n + 2$ is divisible by $(x-1)^2$








share|cite|improve this question













I have a question about a polynomial being divided by another, but there are multiple unknown parameters at play making this a very difficult question to figure out, but now we are restricting ourselves to solving this question with pre-calculus techniques only.
Here is the question:




Determine $a$ and $b$ such that $ax^n+2 + bx^n + 2$ is divisible by $(x-1)^2$










share|cite|improve this question












share|cite|improve this question




share|cite|improve this question








edited 1 hour ago









greedoid

26k93373




26k93373









asked 1 hour ago









Palu

2902519




2902519











  • I seem to remember a very similar question coming up recently, but I cannot locate it alas.
    – Lord Shark the Unknown
    35 mins ago
















  • I seem to remember a very similar question coming up recently, but I cannot locate it alas.
    – Lord Shark the Unknown
    35 mins ago















I seem to remember a very similar question coming up recently, but I cannot locate it alas.
– Lord Shark the Unknown
35 mins ago




I seem to remember a very similar question coming up recently, but I cannot locate it alas.
– Lord Shark the Unknown
35 mins ago










4 Answers
4






active

oldest

votes

















up vote
2
down vote













Since $1$ is root of a polynomial $p(x)=ax^n+2+bx^n+2$ we have $p(1)=0$ so
$b=-2-a$. Now we have:
$$p(x)=ax^n+2-2x^n -ax^n+2 $$
$$= ax^n(x^2-1)-2(x-1)(x^n-1+...+x^2+x+1) $$
$$= (x-1)underbraceBig(ax^n(x+1)-2(x^n-1...+x^2+x+1)Big)_q(x) $$
Now since $1$ double root we have also $q(1)=0$ so $2a-2n=0$ so $a=n$ and $b=-n-2$.






share|cite|improve this answer





















  • Yes, thank you both dxiv and greedoid, I see that you are using some generalized factoring formulas here. This is something i would need to take some time to look at closely.
    – Palu
    1 hour ago

















up vote
2
down vote













Hint: $small abig((x-1)+1big)^n+2+bbig((x-1)+1big)^n+2=(x-1)^2(ldots)+abinomn+21(x-1)+a+bbinomn1(x-1)+b+2$.






share|cite|improve this answer




























    up vote
    2
    down vote













    Let $f(x)=ax^n+2+bx^n+2$ be divisible by $(x-1)^2$ therefore $$f(1)=0\f'(1)=0$$which means that $$a+b+2=0\(n+2)a+nb=0$$so $$a=-dfracnn+2b$$therefore $$a=n\b=-n-2$$Using pre-calculus method:



    $$f(x)=(x-1)Q(x)$$therefore $$f(1)=0$$or $$b=-a-2$$ by substituting we obtain$$f(x)=ax^n+2-ax^n-2x^n+2$$here we can write $$dfracf(x)x-1=ax^n(x+1)-2(x^n-1+cdots+x+1)$$again by substituting $x=1$ we finally obtain $$a=n\b=-n-2$$






    share|cite|improve this answer























    • Hi Mostafa, thanks for your calculus based solution. I appreciate many solutions in general. But just to make note, this question says that it should be solved by pre-calculus methods.
      – Palu
      1 hour ago










    • Alright...I included that way either. Hope it helps you!
      – Mostafa Ayaz
      1 hour ago










    • Hi Mostafa, I like the way you are approaching it the pre-calculus way, but when you say " again by substituting x = 1 we finally obtain ", i can't follow how you get to the conclusion. I think you need to put in some more steps. When I look at your equation if i was to put x=1 , i would get undefined in the denominator on the left side. If i moved the (x-1) to the other side and set x=1, i would get zero on the other side. Hope you and show some more algebra steps.
      – Palu
      36 mins ago

















    up vote
    0
    down vote













    $space space space space space$






    share|cite|improve this answer





















      Your Answer




      StackExchange.ifUsing("editor", function ()
      return StackExchange.using("mathjaxEditing", function ()
      StackExchange.MarkdownEditor.creationCallbacks.add(function (editor, postfix)
      StackExchange.mathjaxEditing.prepareWmdForMathJax(editor, postfix, [["$", "$"], ["\\(","\\)"]]);
      );
      );
      , "mathjax-editing");

      StackExchange.ready(function()
      var channelOptions =
      tags: "".split(" "),
      id: "69"
      ;
      initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

      StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
      // Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
      if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
      StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
      createEditor();
      );

      else
      createEditor();

      );

      function createEditor()
      StackExchange.prepareEditor(
      heartbeatType: 'answer',
      convertImagesToLinks: true,
      noModals: false,
      showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
      reputationToPostImages: 10,
      bindNavPrevention: true,
      postfix: "",
      noCode: true, onDemand: true,
      discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
      ,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
      );



      );








       

      draft saved


      draft discarded


















      StackExchange.ready(
      function ()
      StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fmath.stackexchange.com%2fquestions%2f2872247%2fpolynomial-with-unknown-coefficients-and-exponents-via-pre-calculus-techniques%23new-answer', 'question_page');

      );

      Post as a guest






























      4 Answers
      4






      active

      oldest

      votes








      4 Answers
      4






      active

      oldest

      votes









      active

      oldest

      votes






      active

      oldest

      votes








      up vote
      2
      down vote













      Since $1$ is root of a polynomial $p(x)=ax^n+2+bx^n+2$ we have $p(1)=0$ so
      $b=-2-a$. Now we have:
      $$p(x)=ax^n+2-2x^n -ax^n+2 $$
      $$= ax^n(x^2-1)-2(x-1)(x^n-1+...+x^2+x+1) $$
      $$= (x-1)underbraceBig(ax^n(x+1)-2(x^n-1...+x^2+x+1)Big)_q(x) $$
      Now since $1$ double root we have also $q(1)=0$ so $2a-2n=0$ so $a=n$ and $b=-n-2$.






      share|cite|improve this answer





















      • Yes, thank you both dxiv and greedoid, I see that you are using some generalized factoring formulas here. This is something i would need to take some time to look at closely.
        – Palu
        1 hour ago














      up vote
      2
      down vote













      Since $1$ is root of a polynomial $p(x)=ax^n+2+bx^n+2$ we have $p(1)=0$ so
      $b=-2-a$. Now we have:
      $$p(x)=ax^n+2-2x^n -ax^n+2 $$
      $$= ax^n(x^2-1)-2(x-1)(x^n-1+...+x^2+x+1) $$
      $$= (x-1)underbraceBig(ax^n(x+1)-2(x^n-1...+x^2+x+1)Big)_q(x) $$
      Now since $1$ double root we have also $q(1)=0$ so $2a-2n=0$ so $a=n$ and $b=-n-2$.






      share|cite|improve this answer





















      • Yes, thank you both dxiv and greedoid, I see that you are using some generalized factoring formulas here. This is something i would need to take some time to look at closely.
        – Palu
        1 hour ago












      up vote
      2
      down vote










      up vote
      2
      down vote









      Since $1$ is root of a polynomial $p(x)=ax^n+2+bx^n+2$ we have $p(1)=0$ so
      $b=-2-a$. Now we have:
      $$p(x)=ax^n+2-2x^n -ax^n+2 $$
      $$= ax^n(x^2-1)-2(x-1)(x^n-1+...+x^2+x+1) $$
      $$= (x-1)underbraceBig(ax^n(x+1)-2(x^n-1...+x^2+x+1)Big)_q(x) $$
      Now since $1$ double root we have also $q(1)=0$ so $2a-2n=0$ so $a=n$ and $b=-n-2$.






      share|cite|improve this answer













      Since $1$ is root of a polynomial $p(x)=ax^n+2+bx^n+2$ we have $p(1)=0$ so
      $b=-2-a$. Now we have:
      $$p(x)=ax^n+2-2x^n -ax^n+2 $$
      $$= ax^n(x^2-1)-2(x-1)(x^n-1+...+x^2+x+1) $$
      $$= (x-1)underbraceBig(ax^n(x+1)-2(x^n-1...+x^2+x+1)Big)_q(x) $$
      Now since $1$ double root we have also $q(1)=0$ so $2a-2n=0$ so $a=n$ and $b=-n-2$.







      share|cite|improve this answer













      share|cite|improve this answer



      share|cite|improve this answer











      answered 1 hour ago









      greedoid

      26k93373




      26k93373











      • Yes, thank you both dxiv and greedoid, I see that you are using some generalized factoring formulas here. This is something i would need to take some time to look at closely.
        – Palu
        1 hour ago
















      • Yes, thank you both dxiv and greedoid, I see that you are using some generalized factoring formulas here. This is something i would need to take some time to look at closely.
        – Palu
        1 hour ago















      Yes, thank you both dxiv and greedoid, I see that you are using some generalized factoring formulas here. This is something i would need to take some time to look at closely.
      – Palu
      1 hour ago




      Yes, thank you both dxiv and greedoid, I see that you are using some generalized factoring formulas here. This is something i would need to take some time to look at closely.
      – Palu
      1 hour ago










      up vote
      2
      down vote













      Hint: $small abig((x-1)+1big)^n+2+bbig((x-1)+1big)^n+2=(x-1)^2(ldots)+abinomn+21(x-1)+a+bbinomn1(x-1)+b+2$.






      share|cite|improve this answer

























        up vote
        2
        down vote













        Hint: $small abig((x-1)+1big)^n+2+bbig((x-1)+1big)^n+2=(x-1)^2(ldots)+abinomn+21(x-1)+a+bbinomn1(x-1)+b+2$.






        share|cite|improve this answer























          up vote
          2
          down vote










          up vote
          2
          down vote









          Hint: $small abig((x-1)+1big)^n+2+bbig((x-1)+1big)^n+2=(x-1)^2(ldots)+abinomn+21(x-1)+a+bbinomn1(x-1)+b+2$.






          share|cite|improve this answer













          Hint: $small abig((x-1)+1big)^n+2+bbig((x-1)+1big)^n+2=(x-1)^2(ldots)+abinomn+21(x-1)+a+bbinomn1(x-1)+b+2$.







          share|cite|improve this answer













          share|cite|improve this answer



          share|cite|improve this answer











          answered 1 hour ago









          dxiv

          53.6k64696




          53.6k64696




















              up vote
              2
              down vote













              Let $f(x)=ax^n+2+bx^n+2$ be divisible by $(x-1)^2$ therefore $$f(1)=0\f'(1)=0$$which means that $$a+b+2=0\(n+2)a+nb=0$$so $$a=-dfracnn+2b$$therefore $$a=n\b=-n-2$$Using pre-calculus method:



              $$f(x)=(x-1)Q(x)$$therefore $$f(1)=0$$or $$b=-a-2$$ by substituting we obtain$$f(x)=ax^n+2-ax^n-2x^n+2$$here we can write $$dfracf(x)x-1=ax^n(x+1)-2(x^n-1+cdots+x+1)$$again by substituting $x=1$ we finally obtain $$a=n\b=-n-2$$






              share|cite|improve this answer























              • Hi Mostafa, thanks for your calculus based solution. I appreciate many solutions in general. But just to make note, this question says that it should be solved by pre-calculus methods.
                – Palu
                1 hour ago










              • Alright...I included that way either. Hope it helps you!
                – Mostafa Ayaz
                1 hour ago










              • Hi Mostafa, I like the way you are approaching it the pre-calculus way, but when you say " again by substituting x = 1 we finally obtain ", i can't follow how you get to the conclusion. I think you need to put in some more steps. When I look at your equation if i was to put x=1 , i would get undefined in the denominator on the left side. If i moved the (x-1) to the other side and set x=1, i would get zero on the other side. Hope you and show some more algebra steps.
                – Palu
                36 mins ago














              up vote
              2
              down vote













              Let $f(x)=ax^n+2+bx^n+2$ be divisible by $(x-1)^2$ therefore $$f(1)=0\f'(1)=0$$which means that $$a+b+2=0\(n+2)a+nb=0$$so $$a=-dfracnn+2b$$therefore $$a=n\b=-n-2$$Using pre-calculus method:



              $$f(x)=(x-1)Q(x)$$therefore $$f(1)=0$$or $$b=-a-2$$ by substituting we obtain$$f(x)=ax^n+2-ax^n-2x^n+2$$here we can write $$dfracf(x)x-1=ax^n(x+1)-2(x^n-1+cdots+x+1)$$again by substituting $x=1$ we finally obtain $$a=n\b=-n-2$$






              share|cite|improve this answer























              • Hi Mostafa, thanks for your calculus based solution. I appreciate many solutions in general. But just to make note, this question says that it should be solved by pre-calculus methods.
                – Palu
                1 hour ago










              • Alright...I included that way either. Hope it helps you!
                – Mostafa Ayaz
                1 hour ago










              • Hi Mostafa, I like the way you are approaching it the pre-calculus way, but when you say " again by substituting x = 1 we finally obtain ", i can't follow how you get to the conclusion. I think you need to put in some more steps. When I look at your equation if i was to put x=1 , i would get undefined in the denominator on the left side. If i moved the (x-1) to the other side and set x=1, i would get zero on the other side. Hope you and show some more algebra steps.
                – Palu
                36 mins ago












              up vote
              2
              down vote










              up vote
              2
              down vote









              Let $f(x)=ax^n+2+bx^n+2$ be divisible by $(x-1)^2$ therefore $$f(1)=0\f'(1)=0$$which means that $$a+b+2=0\(n+2)a+nb=0$$so $$a=-dfracnn+2b$$therefore $$a=n\b=-n-2$$Using pre-calculus method:



              $$f(x)=(x-1)Q(x)$$therefore $$f(1)=0$$or $$b=-a-2$$ by substituting we obtain$$f(x)=ax^n+2-ax^n-2x^n+2$$here we can write $$dfracf(x)x-1=ax^n(x+1)-2(x^n-1+cdots+x+1)$$again by substituting $x=1$ we finally obtain $$a=n\b=-n-2$$






              share|cite|improve this answer















              Let $f(x)=ax^n+2+bx^n+2$ be divisible by $(x-1)^2$ therefore $$f(1)=0\f'(1)=0$$which means that $$a+b+2=0\(n+2)a+nb=0$$so $$a=-dfracnn+2b$$therefore $$a=n\b=-n-2$$Using pre-calculus method:



              $$f(x)=(x-1)Q(x)$$therefore $$f(1)=0$$or $$b=-a-2$$ by substituting we obtain$$f(x)=ax^n+2-ax^n-2x^n+2$$here we can write $$dfracf(x)x-1=ax^n(x+1)-2(x^n-1+cdots+x+1)$$again by substituting $x=1$ we finally obtain $$a=n\b=-n-2$$







              share|cite|improve this answer















              share|cite|improve this answer



              share|cite|improve this answer








              edited 1 hour ago


























              answered 1 hour ago









              Mostafa Ayaz

              8,4263530




              8,4263530











              • Hi Mostafa, thanks for your calculus based solution. I appreciate many solutions in general. But just to make note, this question says that it should be solved by pre-calculus methods.
                – Palu
                1 hour ago










              • Alright...I included that way either. Hope it helps you!
                – Mostafa Ayaz
                1 hour ago










              • Hi Mostafa, I like the way you are approaching it the pre-calculus way, but when you say " again by substituting x = 1 we finally obtain ", i can't follow how you get to the conclusion. I think you need to put in some more steps. When I look at your equation if i was to put x=1 , i would get undefined in the denominator on the left side. If i moved the (x-1) to the other side and set x=1, i would get zero on the other side. Hope you and show some more algebra steps.
                – Palu
                36 mins ago
















              • Hi Mostafa, thanks for your calculus based solution. I appreciate many solutions in general. But just to make note, this question says that it should be solved by pre-calculus methods.
                – Palu
                1 hour ago










              • Alright...I included that way either. Hope it helps you!
                – Mostafa Ayaz
                1 hour ago










              • Hi Mostafa, I like the way you are approaching it the pre-calculus way, but when you say " again by substituting x = 1 we finally obtain ", i can't follow how you get to the conclusion. I think you need to put in some more steps. When I look at your equation if i was to put x=1 , i would get undefined in the denominator on the left side. If i moved the (x-1) to the other side and set x=1, i would get zero on the other side. Hope you and show some more algebra steps.
                – Palu
                36 mins ago















              Hi Mostafa, thanks for your calculus based solution. I appreciate many solutions in general. But just to make note, this question says that it should be solved by pre-calculus methods.
              – Palu
              1 hour ago




              Hi Mostafa, thanks for your calculus based solution. I appreciate many solutions in general. But just to make note, this question says that it should be solved by pre-calculus methods.
              – Palu
              1 hour ago












              Alright...I included that way either. Hope it helps you!
              – Mostafa Ayaz
              1 hour ago




              Alright...I included that way either. Hope it helps you!
              – Mostafa Ayaz
              1 hour ago












              Hi Mostafa, I like the way you are approaching it the pre-calculus way, but when you say " again by substituting x = 1 we finally obtain ", i can't follow how you get to the conclusion. I think you need to put in some more steps. When I look at your equation if i was to put x=1 , i would get undefined in the denominator on the left side. If i moved the (x-1) to the other side and set x=1, i would get zero on the other side. Hope you and show some more algebra steps.
              – Palu
              36 mins ago




              Hi Mostafa, I like the way you are approaching it the pre-calculus way, but when you say " again by substituting x = 1 we finally obtain ", i can't follow how you get to the conclusion. I think you need to put in some more steps. When I look at your equation if i was to put x=1 , i would get undefined in the denominator on the left side. If i moved the (x-1) to the other side and set x=1, i would get zero on the other side. Hope you and show some more algebra steps.
              – Palu
              36 mins ago










              up vote
              0
              down vote













              $space space space space space$






              share|cite|improve this answer

























                up vote
                0
                down vote













                $space space space space space$






                share|cite|improve this answer























                  up vote
                  0
                  down vote










                  up vote
                  0
                  down vote









                  $space space space space space$






                  share|cite|improve this answer













                  $space space space space space$







                  share|cite|improve this answer













                  share|cite|improve this answer



                  share|cite|improve this answer











                  answered 1 hour ago









                  Sodium Or

                  192




                  192






















                       

                      draft saved


                      draft discarded


























                       


                      draft saved


                      draft discarded














                      StackExchange.ready(
                      function ()
                      StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fmath.stackexchange.com%2fquestions%2f2872247%2fpolynomial-with-unknown-coefficients-and-exponents-via-pre-calculus-techniques%23new-answer', 'question_page');

                      );

                      Post as a guest













































































                      Popular posts from this blog

                      Which professions warranted travel in Medieval times?

                      How do so many people here on Academia.SE, and in general, afford lavish higher education programs?

                      Trouble downloading packages list due to a “Hash sum mismatch” error