How to install Nvidia 387 dirvers on Kubuntu 18.04

The name of the pictureThe name of the pictureThe name of the pictureClash Royale CLAN TAG#URR8PPP


.everyoneloves__top-leaderboard:empty,.everyoneloves__mid-leaderboard:empty margin-bottom:0;







up vote
0
down vote

favorite












I'm using Kubuntu 18.04 and have the Nvidia 396 driver installed. It "feels" quite glitchy, and I'd like to try to the Nvidia 387 driver. I tried removing 396 using:



sudo apt remove --purge nvidia-*
sudo apt update
sudo apt autoremove


I then tried to install the Nvidia 387 drivers using:



sudo apt install nvidia-387


However, it just installed the Nvidia 390 drivers!?



Any idea how I can install the Nvidia 387 drivers?







share|improve this question















  • 1




    There aren't any nvidia-387 packages in the default 18.04 repos.
    – karel
    13 hours ago










  • Ah, ok. So that explains why when I do sudo apt list | grep 387 I can see: nvidia-387/bionic,now 390.77-0ubuntu0~gpu18.04.1 amd64 [installed]. I'll try rolling back to 16.04, will see how that goes. By the why - I'll mark yours as an answer if you copy/paste it as an answer.
    – Scott Deagan
    13 hours ago










  • Not exactly sure what you mean by "non-reproducable" - it's easy to reproduce: 1. Install Kubuntu 18.04. 2. Try to install the Nvidia 387 drivers.
    – Scott Deagan
    12 hours ago

















up vote
0
down vote

favorite












I'm using Kubuntu 18.04 and have the Nvidia 396 driver installed. It "feels" quite glitchy, and I'd like to try to the Nvidia 387 driver. I tried removing 396 using:



sudo apt remove --purge nvidia-*
sudo apt update
sudo apt autoremove


I then tried to install the Nvidia 387 drivers using:



sudo apt install nvidia-387


However, it just installed the Nvidia 390 drivers!?



Any idea how I can install the Nvidia 387 drivers?







share|improve this question















  • 1




    There aren't any nvidia-387 packages in the default 18.04 repos.
    – karel
    13 hours ago










  • Ah, ok. So that explains why when I do sudo apt list | grep 387 I can see: nvidia-387/bionic,now 390.77-0ubuntu0~gpu18.04.1 amd64 [installed]. I'll try rolling back to 16.04, will see how that goes. By the why - I'll mark yours as an answer if you copy/paste it as an answer.
    – Scott Deagan
    13 hours ago










  • Not exactly sure what you mean by "non-reproducable" - it's easy to reproduce: 1. Install Kubuntu 18.04. 2. Try to install the Nvidia 387 drivers.
    – Scott Deagan
    12 hours ago













up vote
0
down vote

favorite









up vote
0
down vote

favorite











I'm using Kubuntu 18.04 and have the Nvidia 396 driver installed. It "feels" quite glitchy, and I'd like to try to the Nvidia 387 driver. I tried removing 396 using:



sudo apt remove --purge nvidia-*
sudo apt update
sudo apt autoremove


I then tried to install the Nvidia 387 drivers using:



sudo apt install nvidia-387


However, it just installed the Nvidia 390 drivers!?



Any idea how I can install the Nvidia 387 drivers?







share|improve this question











I'm using Kubuntu 18.04 and have the Nvidia 396 driver installed. It "feels" quite glitchy, and I'd like to try to the Nvidia 387 driver. I tried removing 396 using:



sudo apt remove --purge nvidia-*
sudo apt update
sudo apt autoremove


I then tried to install the Nvidia 387 drivers using:



sudo apt install nvidia-387


However, it just installed the Nvidia 390 drivers!?



Any idea how I can install the Nvidia 387 drivers?









share|improve this question










share|improve this question




share|improve this question









asked 13 hours ago









Scott Deagan

10317




10317







  • 1




    There aren't any nvidia-387 packages in the default 18.04 repos.
    – karel
    13 hours ago










  • Ah, ok. So that explains why when I do sudo apt list | grep 387 I can see: nvidia-387/bionic,now 390.77-0ubuntu0~gpu18.04.1 amd64 [installed]. I'll try rolling back to 16.04, will see how that goes. By the why - I'll mark yours as an answer if you copy/paste it as an answer.
    – Scott Deagan
    13 hours ago










  • Not exactly sure what you mean by "non-reproducable" - it's easy to reproduce: 1. Install Kubuntu 18.04. 2. Try to install the Nvidia 387 drivers.
    – Scott Deagan
    12 hours ago













  • 1




    There aren't any nvidia-387 packages in the default 18.04 repos.
    – karel
    13 hours ago










  • Ah, ok. So that explains why when I do sudo apt list | grep 387 I can see: nvidia-387/bionic,now 390.77-0ubuntu0~gpu18.04.1 amd64 [installed]. I'll try rolling back to 16.04, will see how that goes. By the why - I'll mark yours as an answer if you copy/paste it as an answer.
    – Scott Deagan
    13 hours ago










  • Not exactly sure what you mean by "non-reproducable" - it's easy to reproduce: 1. Install Kubuntu 18.04. 2. Try to install the Nvidia 387 drivers.
    – Scott Deagan
    12 hours ago








1




1




There aren't any nvidia-387 packages in the default 18.04 repos.
– karel
13 hours ago




There aren't any nvidia-387 packages in the default 18.04 repos.
– karel
13 hours ago












Ah, ok. So that explains why when I do sudo apt list | grep 387 I can see: nvidia-387/bionic,now 390.77-0ubuntu0~gpu18.04.1 amd64 [installed]. I'll try rolling back to 16.04, will see how that goes. By the why - I'll mark yours as an answer if you copy/paste it as an answer.
– Scott Deagan
13 hours ago




Ah, ok. So that explains why when I do sudo apt list | grep 387 I can see: nvidia-387/bionic,now 390.77-0ubuntu0~gpu18.04.1 amd64 [installed]. I'll try rolling back to 16.04, will see how that goes. By the why - I'll mark yours as an answer if you copy/paste it as an answer.
– Scott Deagan
13 hours ago












Not exactly sure what you mean by "non-reproducable" - it's easy to reproduce: 1. Install Kubuntu 18.04. 2. Try to install the Nvidia 387 drivers.
– Scott Deagan
12 hours ago





Not exactly sure what you mean by "non-reproducable" - it's easy to reproduce: 1. Install Kubuntu 18.04. 2. Try to install the Nvidia 387 drivers.
– Scott Deagan
12 hours ago











1 Answer
1






active

oldest

votes

















up vote
2
down vote



accepted










There aren't any nvidia-387 packages in the default 18.04 repos. The closest match to nvidia-387 in 18.04 can be installed as follows:



sudo ubuntu-drivers autoinstall # installs nvidia-driver-390 
sudo reboot


The autoinstall command of ubuntu-drivers installs drivers that are appropriate for automatic installation including their dependencies.






share|improve this answer





















    Your Answer







    StackExchange.ready(function()
    var channelOptions =
    tags: "".split(" "),
    id: "89"
    ;
    initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

    StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
    // Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
    if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
    StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
    createEditor();
    );

    else
    createEditor();

    );

    function createEditor()
    StackExchange.prepareEditor(
    heartbeatType: 'answer',
    convertImagesToLinks: true,
    noModals: false,
    showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
    reputationToPostImages: 10,
    bindNavPrevention: true,
    postfix: "",
    onDemand: true,
    discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
    ,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
    );



    );








     

    draft saved


    draft discarded


















    StackExchange.ready(
    function ()
    StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1062291%2fhow-to-install-nvidia-387-dirvers-on-kubuntu-18-04%23new-answer', 'question_page');

    );

    Post as a guest






























    1 Answer
    1






    active

    oldest

    votes








    1 Answer
    1






    active

    oldest

    votes









    active

    oldest

    votes






    active

    oldest

    votes








    up vote
    2
    down vote



    accepted










    There aren't any nvidia-387 packages in the default 18.04 repos. The closest match to nvidia-387 in 18.04 can be installed as follows:



    sudo ubuntu-drivers autoinstall # installs nvidia-driver-390 
    sudo reboot


    The autoinstall command of ubuntu-drivers installs drivers that are appropriate for automatic installation including their dependencies.






    share|improve this answer

























      up vote
      2
      down vote



      accepted










      There aren't any nvidia-387 packages in the default 18.04 repos. The closest match to nvidia-387 in 18.04 can be installed as follows:



      sudo ubuntu-drivers autoinstall # installs nvidia-driver-390 
      sudo reboot


      The autoinstall command of ubuntu-drivers installs drivers that are appropriate for automatic installation including their dependencies.






      share|improve this answer























        up vote
        2
        down vote



        accepted







        up vote
        2
        down vote



        accepted






        There aren't any nvidia-387 packages in the default 18.04 repos. The closest match to nvidia-387 in 18.04 can be installed as follows:



        sudo ubuntu-drivers autoinstall # installs nvidia-driver-390 
        sudo reboot


        The autoinstall command of ubuntu-drivers installs drivers that are appropriate for automatic installation including their dependencies.






        share|improve this answer













        There aren't any nvidia-387 packages in the default 18.04 repos. The closest match to nvidia-387 in 18.04 can be installed as follows:



        sudo ubuntu-drivers autoinstall # installs nvidia-driver-390 
        sudo reboot


        The autoinstall command of ubuntu-drivers installs drivers that are appropriate for automatic installation including their dependencies.







        share|improve this answer













        share|improve this answer



        share|improve this answer











        answered 13 hours ago









        karel

        48.5k1199126




        48.5k1199126






















             

            draft saved


            draft discarded


























             


            draft saved


            draft discarded














            StackExchange.ready(
            function ()
            StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1062291%2fhow-to-install-nvidia-387-dirvers-on-kubuntu-18-04%23new-answer', 'question_page');

            );

            Post as a guest













































































            Popular posts from this blog

            Which professions warranted travel in Medieval times?

            How do so many people here on Academia.SE, and in general, afford lavish higher education programs?

            Trouble downloading packages list due to a “Hash sum mismatch” error