Can I check if the terminal was started by Visual Studio Code?

The name of the pictureThe name of the pictureThe name of the pictureClash Royale CLAN TAG#URR8PPP








up vote
1
down vote

favorite
1












I have a script which runs whenever I open the terminal (I put the command in .bashrc). Now when I open Visual Studio Code the script is obviously also executed in the internal terminal therein. I don‘t want this to happen. Is there any way to detect whether a terminal instance was started by VSCode so I can prevent the script from executing in that case? (I use bash)



Sorry if this is a dumb question, I am still fairly new to Linux and bash.










share|improve this question





















  • Possible duplicate of How do I get the parent process ID of a given child process?
    – WinEunuuchs2Unix
    Apr 3 at 10:06














up vote
1
down vote

favorite
1












I have a script which runs whenever I open the terminal (I put the command in .bashrc). Now when I open Visual Studio Code the script is obviously also executed in the internal terminal therein. I don‘t want this to happen. Is there any way to detect whether a terminal instance was started by VSCode so I can prevent the script from executing in that case? (I use bash)



Sorry if this is a dumb question, I am still fairly new to Linux and bash.










share|improve this question





















  • Possible duplicate of How do I get the parent process ID of a given child process?
    – WinEunuuchs2Unix
    Apr 3 at 10:06












up vote
1
down vote

favorite
1









up vote
1
down vote

favorite
1






1





I have a script which runs whenever I open the terminal (I put the command in .bashrc). Now when I open Visual Studio Code the script is obviously also executed in the internal terminal therein. I don‘t want this to happen. Is there any way to detect whether a terminal instance was started by VSCode so I can prevent the script from executing in that case? (I use bash)



Sorry if this is a dumb question, I am still fairly new to Linux and bash.










share|improve this question













I have a script which runs whenever I open the terminal (I put the command in .bashrc). Now when I open Visual Studio Code the script is obviously also executed in the internal terminal therein. I don‘t want this to happen. Is there any way to detect whether a terminal instance was started by VSCode so I can prevent the script from executing in that case? (I use bash)



Sorry if this is a dumb question, I am still fairly new to Linux and bash.







command-line visual-studio-code






share|improve this question













share|improve this question











share|improve this question




share|improve this question










asked Apr 3 at 10:02









MichaelTheSlav

61




61











  • Possible duplicate of How do I get the parent process ID of a given child process?
    – WinEunuuchs2Unix
    Apr 3 at 10:06
















  • Possible duplicate of How do I get the parent process ID of a given child process?
    – WinEunuuchs2Unix
    Apr 3 at 10:06















Possible duplicate of How do I get the parent process ID of a given child process?
– WinEunuuchs2Unix
Apr 3 at 10:06




Possible duplicate of How do I get the parent process ID of a given child process?
– WinEunuuchs2Unix
Apr 3 at 10:06










1 Answer
1






active

oldest

votes

















up vote
1
down vote













Using this potentially duplicate answer: https://askubuntu.com/a/1012277/307523



rick@alien:~$ echo $$
25119
───────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
rick@alien:~$ pstree -aps $$
systemd,1 splash fastboot kaslr
└─lightdm,1026
└─lightdm,1294 --session-child 12 19
└─upstart,1838 --user
└─gnome-terminal-,25109
└─bash,25119
└─pstree,5696 -aps 25119


The environment variable $$ returns the current running processes PID (Process ID) which is the bash terminal.



The pstree command shows the entire "tree" of commands called.






share|improve this answer
















  • 2




    To extend this: if pstree -s $$ | grep -Eq '<code>'; then echo started from code; fi
    – glenn jackman
    Apr 3 at 11:37






  • 1




    We can omit if/then/fi: pstree -s $$ | grep -wq 'code' && echo true :)
    – pa4080
    Apr 3 at 19:55










Your Answer







StackExchange.ready(function()
var channelOptions =
tags: "".split(" "),
id: "89"
;
initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
// Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
createEditor();
);

else
createEditor();

);

function createEditor()
StackExchange.prepareEditor(
heartbeatType: 'answer',
convertImagesToLinks: true,
noModals: false,
showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
reputationToPostImages: 10,
bindNavPrevention: true,
postfix: "",
onDemand: true,
discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
);



);













 

draft saved


draft discarded


















StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1021554%2fcan-i-check-if-the-terminal-was-started-by-visual-studio-code%23new-answer', 'question_page');

);

Post as a guest






























1 Answer
1






active

oldest

votes








1 Answer
1






active

oldest

votes









active

oldest

votes






active

oldest

votes








up vote
1
down vote













Using this potentially duplicate answer: https://askubuntu.com/a/1012277/307523



rick@alien:~$ echo $$
25119
───────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
rick@alien:~$ pstree -aps $$
systemd,1 splash fastboot kaslr
└─lightdm,1026
└─lightdm,1294 --session-child 12 19
└─upstart,1838 --user
└─gnome-terminal-,25109
└─bash,25119
└─pstree,5696 -aps 25119


The environment variable $$ returns the current running processes PID (Process ID) which is the bash terminal.



The pstree command shows the entire "tree" of commands called.






share|improve this answer
















  • 2




    To extend this: if pstree -s $$ | grep -Eq '<code>'; then echo started from code; fi
    – glenn jackman
    Apr 3 at 11:37






  • 1




    We can omit if/then/fi: pstree -s $$ | grep -wq 'code' && echo true :)
    – pa4080
    Apr 3 at 19:55














up vote
1
down vote













Using this potentially duplicate answer: https://askubuntu.com/a/1012277/307523



rick@alien:~$ echo $$
25119
───────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
rick@alien:~$ pstree -aps $$
systemd,1 splash fastboot kaslr
└─lightdm,1026
└─lightdm,1294 --session-child 12 19
└─upstart,1838 --user
└─gnome-terminal-,25109
└─bash,25119
└─pstree,5696 -aps 25119


The environment variable $$ returns the current running processes PID (Process ID) which is the bash terminal.



The pstree command shows the entire "tree" of commands called.






share|improve this answer
















  • 2




    To extend this: if pstree -s $$ | grep -Eq '<code>'; then echo started from code; fi
    – glenn jackman
    Apr 3 at 11:37






  • 1




    We can omit if/then/fi: pstree -s $$ | grep -wq 'code' && echo true :)
    – pa4080
    Apr 3 at 19:55












up vote
1
down vote










up vote
1
down vote









Using this potentially duplicate answer: https://askubuntu.com/a/1012277/307523



rick@alien:~$ echo $$
25119
───────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
rick@alien:~$ pstree -aps $$
systemd,1 splash fastboot kaslr
└─lightdm,1026
└─lightdm,1294 --session-child 12 19
└─upstart,1838 --user
└─gnome-terminal-,25109
└─bash,25119
└─pstree,5696 -aps 25119


The environment variable $$ returns the current running processes PID (Process ID) which is the bash terminal.



The pstree command shows the entire "tree" of commands called.






share|improve this answer












Using this potentially duplicate answer: https://askubuntu.com/a/1012277/307523



rick@alien:~$ echo $$
25119
───────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
rick@alien:~$ pstree -aps $$
systemd,1 splash fastboot kaslr
└─lightdm,1026
└─lightdm,1294 --session-child 12 19
└─upstart,1838 --user
└─gnome-terminal-,25109
└─bash,25119
└─pstree,5696 -aps 25119


The environment variable $$ returns the current running processes PID (Process ID) which is the bash terminal.



The pstree command shows the entire "tree" of commands called.







share|improve this answer












share|improve this answer



share|improve this answer










answered Apr 3 at 10:13









WinEunuuchs2Unix

35.8k759133




35.8k759133







  • 2




    To extend this: if pstree -s $$ | grep -Eq '<code>'; then echo started from code; fi
    – glenn jackman
    Apr 3 at 11:37






  • 1




    We can omit if/then/fi: pstree -s $$ | grep -wq 'code' && echo true :)
    – pa4080
    Apr 3 at 19:55












  • 2




    To extend this: if pstree -s $$ | grep -Eq '<code>'; then echo started from code; fi
    – glenn jackman
    Apr 3 at 11:37






  • 1




    We can omit if/then/fi: pstree -s $$ | grep -wq 'code' && echo true :)
    – pa4080
    Apr 3 at 19:55







2




2




To extend this: if pstree -s $$ | grep -Eq '<code>'; then echo started from code; fi
– glenn jackman
Apr 3 at 11:37




To extend this: if pstree -s $$ | grep -Eq '<code>'; then echo started from code; fi
– glenn jackman
Apr 3 at 11:37




1




1




We can omit if/then/fi: pstree -s $$ | grep -wq 'code' && echo true :)
– pa4080
Apr 3 at 19:55




We can omit if/then/fi: pstree -s $$ | grep -wq 'code' && echo true :)
– pa4080
Apr 3 at 19:55

















 

draft saved


draft discarded















































 


draft saved


draft discarded














StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1021554%2fcan-i-check-if-the-terminal-was-started-by-visual-studio-code%23new-answer', 'question_page');

);

Post as a guest













































































Popular posts from this blog

Which professions warranted travel in Medieval times?

How do so many people here on Academia.SE, and in general, afford lavish higher education programs?

Trouble downloading packages list due to a “Hash sum mismatch” error