XPS 9560 cannot install Ubuntu. ACPI Error/Empty Installation Type/"unable to find a medium containing a live file system”

The name of the pictureThe name of the pictureThe name of the pictureClash Royale CLAN TAG#URR8PPP








up vote
1
down vote

favorite












I'm new to Ubuntu.



XPS 15 9560, BIOS is up-to-date (Feb 18).
I'm trying ton install Ubuntu 16.04/17.10/18.04beta from USB thumb drive (SanDisk USB 3.0).
But when installtion starts, it gives errors:



enter image description here



ACPI Error Namespace llopup failure, AE_NOT_FOUND



Cannot enable. Maybe the USB cable is bad?
cannot disable (err = -32)



I tried different USB as well as different USB ports,
and also tried Ubuntu 17.10 as well but no luck.



I could proceed to “Installation Type” (but there is no partition) after acpi=off as kernel param but then it crashes when I try to select “+” or “Change”, so it seems like it does not help. But the partition is empty, so something is wrong.



enter image description here



After struggle, it seems like I needed to change “Raid on” to “AHCI” for SATA setting.
But after the change, still cannot reach installation screen or just freezes as error occurs "unable to find a medium containing a live file system" as below:



enter image description here



Anyone had a same issue?
How can I solve this?



Thank you.



Ref:
http://www.dell.com/support/article/ca/en/cabsdt1/sln299303/loading-ubuntu-on-systems-using-pcie-m2-drives?lang=en










share|improve this question



























    up vote
    1
    down vote

    favorite












    I'm new to Ubuntu.



    XPS 15 9560, BIOS is up-to-date (Feb 18).
    I'm trying ton install Ubuntu 16.04/17.10/18.04beta from USB thumb drive (SanDisk USB 3.0).
    But when installtion starts, it gives errors:



    enter image description here



    ACPI Error Namespace llopup failure, AE_NOT_FOUND



    Cannot enable. Maybe the USB cable is bad?
    cannot disable (err = -32)



    I tried different USB as well as different USB ports,
    and also tried Ubuntu 17.10 as well but no luck.



    I could proceed to “Installation Type” (but there is no partition) after acpi=off as kernel param but then it crashes when I try to select “+” or “Change”, so it seems like it does not help. But the partition is empty, so something is wrong.



    enter image description here



    After struggle, it seems like I needed to change “Raid on” to “AHCI” for SATA setting.
    But after the change, still cannot reach installation screen or just freezes as error occurs "unable to find a medium containing a live file system" as below:



    enter image description here



    Anyone had a same issue?
    How can I solve this?



    Thank you.



    Ref:
    http://www.dell.com/support/article/ca/en/cabsdt1/sln299303/loading-ubuntu-on-systems-using-pcie-m2-drives?lang=en










    share|improve this question

























      up vote
      1
      down vote

      favorite









      up vote
      1
      down vote

      favorite











      I'm new to Ubuntu.



      XPS 15 9560, BIOS is up-to-date (Feb 18).
      I'm trying ton install Ubuntu 16.04/17.10/18.04beta from USB thumb drive (SanDisk USB 3.0).
      But when installtion starts, it gives errors:



      enter image description here



      ACPI Error Namespace llopup failure, AE_NOT_FOUND



      Cannot enable. Maybe the USB cable is bad?
      cannot disable (err = -32)



      I tried different USB as well as different USB ports,
      and also tried Ubuntu 17.10 as well but no luck.



      I could proceed to “Installation Type” (but there is no partition) after acpi=off as kernel param but then it crashes when I try to select “+” or “Change”, so it seems like it does not help. But the partition is empty, so something is wrong.



      enter image description here



      After struggle, it seems like I needed to change “Raid on” to “AHCI” for SATA setting.
      But after the change, still cannot reach installation screen or just freezes as error occurs "unable to find a medium containing a live file system" as below:



      enter image description here



      Anyone had a same issue?
      How can I solve this?



      Thank you.



      Ref:
      http://www.dell.com/support/article/ca/en/cabsdt1/sln299303/loading-ubuntu-on-systems-using-pcie-m2-drives?lang=en










      share|improve this question















      I'm new to Ubuntu.



      XPS 15 9560, BIOS is up-to-date (Feb 18).
      I'm trying ton install Ubuntu 16.04/17.10/18.04beta from USB thumb drive (SanDisk USB 3.0).
      But when installtion starts, it gives errors:



      enter image description here



      ACPI Error Namespace llopup failure, AE_NOT_FOUND



      Cannot enable. Maybe the USB cable is bad?
      cannot disable (err = -32)



      I tried different USB as well as different USB ports,
      and also tried Ubuntu 17.10 as well but no luck.



      I could proceed to “Installation Type” (but there is no partition) after acpi=off as kernel param but then it crashes when I try to select “+” or “Change”, so it seems like it does not help. But the partition is empty, so something is wrong.



      enter image description here



      After struggle, it seems like I needed to change “Raid on” to “AHCI” for SATA setting.
      But after the change, still cannot reach installation screen or just freezes as error occurs "unable to find a medium containing a live file system" as below:



      enter image description here



      Anyone had a same issue?
      How can I solve this?



      Thank you.



      Ref:
      http://www.dell.com/support/article/ca/en/cabsdt1/sln299303/loading-ubuntu-on-systems-using-pcie-m2-drives?lang=en







      16.04 usb 17.10 xps






      share|improve this question















      share|improve this question













      share|improve this question




      share|improve this question








      edited Apr 2 at 21:27

























      asked Apr 2 at 17:03









      Yuichi

      1065




      1065




















          2 Answers
          2






          active

          oldest

          votes

















          up vote
          2
          down vote













          A combination of these things might work for you:



          • Change the boot mode to AHCI

          • hit X at the GRUB bootloader screen and change live splash to nomodeset

          • If it's a USB 3.0 USB make sure you use a USB 3.0 port

          • If the USB 3.0 USB isn't working - try a USB 2.0 port

          • If that still doesn't work - try a USB 2.0 key in a USB 2.0 port

          • If you have no USB 2.0 ports try going into the BIOS and disabling USB 3.0 at the BIOS level

          • If you can't disable USB 3.0 in BIOS then congratulations you're just as stuck as I am now





          share|improve this answer




















          • Changing live splash to nomodeset did the trick for me - thanks!
            – eli
            Jun 22 at 19:20

















          up vote
          0
          down vote



          accepted










          I tried with Ubuntu 18.04 LTS and finally worked!
          with kernel params added nouveau.modeset=0 acpi=off after quiet splash.



          After installation is done, I needed to start recovery mode
          and do this.

          dpkg-reconfigure lightdm






          share|improve this answer




















            Your Answer







            StackExchange.ready(function()
            var channelOptions =
            tags: "".split(" "),
            id: "89"
            ;
            initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

            StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
            // Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
            if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
            StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
            createEditor();
            );

            else
            createEditor();

            );

            function createEditor()
            StackExchange.prepareEditor(
            heartbeatType: 'answer',
            convertImagesToLinks: true,
            noModals: false,
            showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
            reputationToPostImages: 10,
            bindNavPrevention: true,
            postfix: "",
            onDemand: true,
            discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
            ,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
            );



            );













             

            draft saved


            draft discarded


















            StackExchange.ready(
            function ()
            StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1021369%2fxps-9560-cannot-install-ubuntu-acpi-error-empty-installation-type-unable-to-fi%23new-answer', 'question_page');

            );

            Post as a guest






























            2 Answers
            2






            active

            oldest

            votes








            2 Answers
            2






            active

            oldest

            votes









            active

            oldest

            votes






            active

            oldest

            votes








            up vote
            2
            down vote













            A combination of these things might work for you:



            • Change the boot mode to AHCI

            • hit X at the GRUB bootloader screen and change live splash to nomodeset

            • If it's a USB 3.0 USB make sure you use a USB 3.0 port

            • If the USB 3.0 USB isn't working - try a USB 2.0 port

            • If that still doesn't work - try a USB 2.0 key in a USB 2.0 port

            • If you have no USB 2.0 ports try going into the BIOS and disabling USB 3.0 at the BIOS level

            • If you can't disable USB 3.0 in BIOS then congratulations you're just as stuck as I am now





            share|improve this answer




















            • Changing live splash to nomodeset did the trick for me - thanks!
              – eli
              Jun 22 at 19:20














            up vote
            2
            down vote













            A combination of these things might work for you:



            • Change the boot mode to AHCI

            • hit X at the GRUB bootloader screen and change live splash to nomodeset

            • If it's a USB 3.0 USB make sure you use a USB 3.0 port

            • If the USB 3.0 USB isn't working - try a USB 2.0 port

            • If that still doesn't work - try a USB 2.0 key in a USB 2.0 port

            • If you have no USB 2.0 ports try going into the BIOS and disabling USB 3.0 at the BIOS level

            • If you can't disable USB 3.0 in BIOS then congratulations you're just as stuck as I am now





            share|improve this answer




















            • Changing live splash to nomodeset did the trick for me - thanks!
              – eli
              Jun 22 at 19:20












            up vote
            2
            down vote










            up vote
            2
            down vote









            A combination of these things might work for you:



            • Change the boot mode to AHCI

            • hit X at the GRUB bootloader screen and change live splash to nomodeset

            • If it's a USB 3.0 USB make sure you use a USB 3.0 port

            • If the USB 3.0 USB isn't working - try a USB 2.0 port

            • If that still doesn't work - try a USB 2.0 key in a USB 2.0 port

            • If you have no USB 2.0 ports try going into the BIOS and disabling USB 3.0 at the BIOS level

            • If you can't disable USB 3.0 in BIOS then congratulations you're just as stuck as I am now





            share|improve this answer












            A combination of these things might work for you:



            • Change the boot mode to AHCI

            • hit X at the GRUB bootloader screen and change live splash to nomodeset

            • If it's a USB 3.0 USB make sure you use a USB 3.0 port

            • If the USB 3.0 USB isn't working - try a USB 2.0 port

            • If that still doesn't work - try a USB 2.0 key in a USB 2.0 port

            • If you have no USB 2.0 ports try going into the BIOS and disabling USB 3.0 at the BIOS level

            • If you can't disable USB 3.0 in BIOS then congratulations you're just as stuck as I am now






            share|improve this answer












            share|improve this answer



            share|improve this answer










            answered Apr 27 at 14:41









            anon58192932

            165111




            165111











            • Changing live splash to nomodeset did the trick for me - thanks!
              – eli
              Jun 22 at 19:20
















            • Changing live splash to nomodeset did the trick for me - thanks!
              – eli
              Jun 22 at 19:20















            Changing live splash to nomodeset did the trick for me - thanks!
            – eli
            Jun 22 at 19:20




            Changing live splash to nomodeset did the trick for me - thanks!
            – eli
            Jun 22 at 19:20












            up vote
            0
            down vote



            accepted










            I tried with Ubuntu 18.04 LTS and finally worked!
            with kernel params added nouveau.modeset=0 acpi=off after quiet splash.



            After installation is done, I needed to start recovery mode
            and do this.

            dpkg-reconfigure lightdm






            share|improve this answer
























              up vote
              0
              down vote



              accepted










              I tried with Ubuntu 18.04 LTS and finally worked!
              with kernel params added nouveau.modeset=0 acpi=off after quiet splash.



              After installation is done, I needed to start recovery mode
              and do this.

              dpkg-reconfigure lightdm






              share|improve this answer






















                up vote
                0
                down vote



                accepted







                up vote
                0
                down vote



                accepted






                I tried with Ubuntu 18.04 LTS and finally worked!
                with kernel params added nouveau.modeset=0 acpi=off after quiet splash.



                After installation is done, I needed to start recovery mode
                and do this.

                dpkg-reconfigure lightdm






                share|improve this answer












                I tried with Ubuntu 18.04 LTS and finally worked!
                with kernel params added nouveau.modeset=0 acpi=off after quiet splash.



                After installation is done, I needed to start recovery mode
                and do this.

                dpkg-reconfigure lightdm







                share|improve this answer












                share|improve this answer



                share|improve this answer










                answered May 1 at 1:08









                Yuichi

                1065




                1065



























                     

                    draft saved


                    draft discarded















































                     


                    draft saved


                    draft discarded














                    StackExchange.ready(
                    function ()
                    StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1021369%2fxps-9560-cannot-install-ubuntu-acpi-error-empty-installation-type-unable-to-fi%23new-answer', 'question_page');

                    );

                    Post as a guest













































































                    Popular posts from this blog

                    Which professions warranted travel in Medieval times?

                    How do so many people here on Academia.SE, and in general, afford lavish higher education programs?

                    Trouble downloading packages list due to a “Hash sum mismatch” error