Recommended ubuntu partition size [duplicate]

The name of the pictureThe name of the pictureThe name of the pictureClash Royale CLAN TAG#URR8PPP








up vote
0
down vote

favorite













This question already has an answer here:



  • Partitions for Ubuntu and Windows 7 dual boot on SSD + HDD setup

    1 answer



I have a 128GB SSD with Windows 10 installed on it and I also have a 1TB HDD on my computer. I want to dual boot ubuntu along side with windows 10 but I don't know how much space I need to give to ubunto and if I should even install it on the same drive as windows, because I roughly have 60GB's on my SSD left but I thought it would be better to keep them like that since windows always has updates and that sort of stuff.
I mainly use windows for gaming and pretty much everything, ubuntu is for college programming purposes.



Sorry if I missnamed any term but I'm still a beginner to all this sort of stuff.










share|improve this question













marked as duplicate by user68186, pomsky, Eric Carvalho, karel, Martin Schröder Apr 3 at 8:51


This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.














  • You may also use the partition and data allocation between SSD and HDD from the answer to this question: Do I need Intel Smart Response when installing Ubuntu?
    – user68186
    Apr 2 at 14:12















up vote
0
down vote

favorite













This question already has an answer here:



  • Partitions for Ubuntu and Windows 7 dual boot on SSD + HDD setup

    1 answer



I have a 128GB SSD with Windows 10 installed on it and I also have a 1TB HDD on my computer. I want to dual boot ubuntu along side with windows 10 but I don't know how much space I need to give to ubunto and if I should even install it on the same drive as windows, because I roughly have 60GB's on my SSD left but I thought it would be better to keep them like that since windows always has updates and that sort of stuff.
I mainly use windows for gaming and pretty much everything, ubuntu is for college programming purposes.



Sorry if I missnamed any term but I'm still a beginner to all this sort of stuff.










share|improve this question













marked as duplicate by user68186, pomsky, Eric Carvalho, karel, Martin Schröder Apr 3 at 8:51


This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.














  • You may also use the partition and data allocation between SSD and HDD from the answer to this question: Do I need Intel Smart Response when installing Ubuntu?
    – user68186
    Apr 2 at 14:12













up vote
0
down vote

favorite









up vote
0
down vote

favorite












This question already has an answer here:



  • Partitions for Ubuntu and Windows 7 dual boot on SSD + HDD setup

    1 answer



I have a 128GB SSD with Windows 10 installed on it and I also have a 1TB HDD on my computer. I want to dual boot ubuntu along side with windows 10 but I don't know how much space I need to give to ubunto and if I should even install it on the same drive as windows, because I roughly have 60GB's on my SSD left but I thought it would be better to keep them like that since windows always has updates and that sort of stuff.
I mainly use windows for gaming and pretty much everything, ubuntu is for college programming purposes.



Sorry if I missnamed any term but I'm still a beginner to all this sort of stuff.










share|improve this question














This question already has an answer here:



  • Partitions for Ubuntu and Windows 7 dual boot on SSD + HDD setup

    1 answer



I have a 128GB SSD with Windows 10 installed on it and I also have a 1TB HDD on my computer. I want to dual boot ubuntu along side with windows 10 but I don't know how much space I need to give to ubunto and if I should even install it on the same drive as windows, because I roughly have 60GB's on my SSD left but I thought it would be better to keep them like that since windows always has updates and that sort of stuff.
I mainly use windows for gaming and pretty much everything, ubuntu is for college programming purposes.



Sorry if I missnamed any term but I'm still a beginner to all this sort of stuff.





This question already has an answer here:



  • Partitions for Ubuntu and Windows 7 dual boot on SSD + HDD setup

    1 answer







dual-boot partitioning ssd






share|improve this question













share|improve this question











share|improve this question




share|improve this question










asked Apr 2 at 13:52









Daniel

1




1




marked as duplicate by user68186, pomsky, Eric Carvalho, karel, Martin Schröder Apr 3 at 8:51


This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.






marked as duplicate by user68186, pomsky, Eric Carvalho, karel, Martin Schröder Apr 3 at 8:51


This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.













  • You may also use the partition and data allocation between SSD and HDD from the answer to this question: Do I need Intel Smart Response when installing Ubuntu?
    – user68186
    Apr 2 at 14:12

















  • You may also use the partition and data allocation between SSD and HDD from the answer to this question: Do I need Intel Smart Response when installing Ubuntu?
    – user68186
    Apr 2 at 14:12
















You may also use the partition and data allocation between SSD and HDD from the answer to this question: Do I need Intel Smart Response when installing Ubuntu?
– user68186
Apr 2 at 14:12





You may also use the partition and data allocation between SSD and HDD from the answer to this question: Do I need Intel Smart Response when installing Ubuntu?
– user68186
Apr 2 at 14:12











1 Answer
1






active

oldest

votes

















up vote
1
down vote













Although this question has many possibilities, according to the needs of each one.



I would install in particular:



An ext4 partition, of 1 gigabytes, for /boot in the SDD.



An ext4 partition of 30 gigabytes for /on the HDD.



A partition exchange system, of 4 gigas to swap on the HDD.



An ext4 partition, of 40 gigabytes, for /home on the HDD.






share|improve this answer
















  • 2




    Most desktops do not need /boot partition. And swap is not a partition exchange system, but more for use if RAM if full of active programs. Ubuntu with 17.04 or later does not create a swap partition, but uses a swap file, but will use an existing swap if found. How much for /home or /mnt/data whether NTFS or ext4 depends greatly on how much data you want or will have.
    – oldfred
    Apr 2 at 14:12










  • I would prefer to do not have separate swap partition and to setup a swap file instead that. Separate boot partition is required when you are using LVM, etc.
    – pa4080
    Apr 2 at 14:15

















1 Answer
1






active

oldest

votes








1 Answer
1






active

oldest

votes









active

oldest

votes






active

oldest

votes








up vote
1
down vote













Although this question has many possibilities, according to the needs of each one.



I would install in particular:



An ext4 partition, of 1 gigabytes, for /boot in the SDD.



An ext4 partition of 30 gigabytes for /on the HDD.



A partition exchange system, of 4 gigas to swap on the HDD.



An ext4 partition, of 40 gigabytes, for /home on the HDD.






share|improve this answer
















  • 2




    Most desktops do not need /boot partition. And swap is not a partition exchange system, but more for use if RAM if full of active programs. Ubuntu with 17.04 or later does not create a swap partition, but uses a swap file, but will use an existing swap if found. How much for /home or /mnt/data whether NTFS or ext4 depends greatly on how much data you want or will have.
    – oldfred
    Apr 2 at 14:12










  • I would prefer to do not have separate swap partition and to setup a swap file instead that. Separate boot partition is required when you are using LVM, etc.
    – pa4080
    Apr 2 at 14:15














up vote
1
down vote













Although this question has many possibilities, according to the needs of each one.



I would install in particular:



An ext4 partition, of 1 gigabytes, for /boot in the SDD.



An ext4 partition of 30 gigabytes for /on the HDD.



A partition exchange system, of 4 gigas to swap on the HDD.



An ext4 partition, of 40 gigabytes, for /home on the HDD.






share|improve this answer
















  • 2




    Most desktops do not need /boot partition. And swap is not a partition exchange system, but more for use if RAM if full of active programs. Ubuntu with 17.04 or later does not create a swap partition, but uses a swap file, but will use an existing swap if found. How much for /home or /mnt/data whether NTFS or ext4 depends greatly on how much data you want or will have.
    – oldfred
    Apr 2 at 14:12










  • I would prefer to do not have separate swap partition and to setup a swap file instead that. Separate boot partition is required when you are using LVM, etc.
    – pa4080
    Apr 2 at 14:15












up vote
1
down vote










up vote
1
down vote









Although this question has many possibilities, according to the needs of each one.



I would install in particular:



An ext4 partition, of 1 gigabytes, for /boot in the SDD.



An ext4 partition of 30 gigabytes for /on the HDD.



A partition exchange system, of 4 gigas to swap on the HDD.



An ext4 partition, of 40 gigabytes, for /home on the HDD.






share|improve this answer












Although this question has many possibilities, according to the needs of each one.



I would install in particular:



An ext4 partition, of 1 gigabytes, for /boot in the SDD.



An ext4 partition of 30 gigabytes for /on the HDD.



A partition exchange system, of 4 gigas to swap on the HDD.



An ext4 partition, of 40 gigabytes, for /home on the HDD.







share|improve this answer












share|improve this answer



share|improve this answer










answered Apr 2 at 14:04









kyodake

9,26011932




9,26011932







  • 2




    Most desktops do not need /boot partition. And swap is not a partition exchange system, but more for use if RAM if full of active programs. Ubuntu with 17.04 or later does not create a swap partition, but uses a swap file, but will use an existing swap if found. How much for /home or /mnt/data whether NTFS or ext4 depends greatly on how much data you want or will have.
    – oldfred
    Apr 2 at 14:12










  • I would prefer to do not have separate swap partition and to setup a swap file instead that. Separate boot partition is required when you are using LVM, etc.
    – pa4080
    Apr 2 at 14:15












  • 2




    Most desktops do not need /boot partition. And swap is not a partition exchange system, but more for use if RAM if full of active programs. Ubuntu with 17.04 or later does not create a swap partition, but uses a swap file, but will use an existing swap if found. How much for /home or /mnt/data whether NTFS or ext4 depends greatly on how much data you want or will have.
    – oldfred
    Apr 2 at 14:12










  • I would prefer to do not have separate swap partition and to setup a swap file instead that. Separate boot partition is required when you are using LVM, etc.
    – pa4080
    Apr 2 at 14:15







2




2




Most desktops do not need /boot partition. And swap is not a partition exchange system, but more for use if RAM if full of active programs. Ubuntu with 17.04 or later does not create a swap partition, but uses a swap file, but will use an existing swap if found. How much for /home or /mnt/data whether NTFS or ext4 depends greatly on how much data you want or will have.
– oldfred
Apr 2 at 14:12




Most desktops do not need /boot partition. And swap is not a partition exchange system, but more for use if RAM if full of active programs. Ubuntu with 17.04 or later does not create a swap partition, but uses a swap file, but will use an existing swap if found. How much for /home or /mnt/data whether NTFS or ext4 depends greatly on how much data you want or will have.
– oldfred
Apr 2 at 14:12












I would prefer to do not have separate swap partition and to setup a swap file instead that. Separate boot partition is required when you are using LVM, etc.
– pa4080
Apr 2 at 14:15




I would prefer to do not have separate swap partition and to setup a swap file instead that. Separate boot partition is required when you are using LVM, etc.
– pa4080
Apr 2 at 14:15


Popular posts from this blog

Which professions warranted travel in Medieval times?

How do so many people here on Academia.SE, and in general, afford lavish higher education programs?

Trouble downloading packages list due to a “Hash sum mismatch” error