Kernel upgrade blocks local login

The name of the pictureThe name of the pictureThe name of the pictureClash Royale CLAN TAG#URR8PPP








up vote
0
down vote

favorite












I have unattented-upgrades doing package upgrades for me, which includes kernel upgrades. Kernel upgrades obviously require a reboot to take effect. After the kernel package gets upgraded and a reboot is pending, it blocks logins, including local logins such as if you lock an X session and then want to unlock the X session.



I don't mind disabling ssh logins when a reboot is pending (though I also don't really care about this feature). But can I allow local logins, such as unlocking an X session?



My current situation is that a locked X session can't be unlocked, so I just have to reboot from the lock screen and then after rebooting login works fine.



Xubuntu 16.04.



Thanks.







share|improve this question
























    up vote
    0
    down vote

    favorite












    I have unattented-upgrades doing package upgrades for me, which includes kernel upgrades. Kernel upgrades obviously require a reboot to take effect. After the kernel package gets upgraded and a reboot is pending, it blocks logins, including local logins such as if you lock an X session and then want to unlock the X session.



    I don't mind disabling ssh logins when a reboot is pending (though I also don't really care about this feature). But can I allow local logins, such as unlocking an X session?



    My current situation is that a locked X session can't be unlocked, so I just have to reboot from the lock screen and then after rebooting login works fine.



    Xubuntu 16.04.



    Thanks.







    share|improve this question






















      up vote
      0
      down vote

      favorite









      up vote
      0
      down vote

      favorite











      I have unattented-upgrades doing package upgrades for me, which includes kernel upgrades. Kernel upgrades obviously require a reboot to take effect. After the kernel package gets upgraded and a reboot is pending, it blocks logins, including local logins such as if you lock an X session and then want to unlock the X session.



      I don't mind disabling ssh logins when a reboot is pending (though I also don't really care about this feature). But can I allow local logins, such as unlocking an X session?



      My current situation is that a locked X session can't be unlocked, so I just have to reboot from the lock screen and then after rebooting login works fine.



      Xubuntu 16.04.



      Thanks.







      share|improve this question












      I have unattented-upgrades doing package upgrades for me, which includes kernel upgrades. Kernel upgrades obviously require a reboot to take effect. After the kernel package gets upgraded and a reboot is pending, it blocks logins, including local logins such as if you lock an X session and then want to unlock the X session.



      I don't mind disabling ssh logins when a reboot is pending (though I also don't really care about this feature). But can I allow local logins, such as unlocking an X session?



      My current situation is that a locked X session can't be unlocked, so I just have to reboot from the lock screen and then after rebooting login works fine.



      Xubuntu 16.04.



      Thanks.









      share|improve this question











      share|improve this question




      share|improve this question










      asked Apr 26 at 0:09









      ricksebak

      108139




      108139

























          active

          oldest

          votes











          Your Answer







          StackExchange.ready(function()
          var channelOptions =
          tags: "".split(" "),
          id: "89"
          ;
          initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

          StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
          // Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
          if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
          StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
          createEditor();
          );

          else
          createEditor();

          );

          function createEditor()
          StackExchange.prepareEditor(
          heartbeatType: 'answer',
          convertImagesToLinks: true,
          noModals: false,
          showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
          reputationToPostImages: 10,
          bindNavPrevention: true,
          postfix: "",
          onDemand: true,
          discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
          ,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
          );



          );













           

          draft saved


          draft discarded


















          StackExchange.ready(
          function ()
          StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1028233%2fkernel-upgrade-blocks-local-login%23new-answer', 'question_page');

          );

          Post as a guest



































          active

          oldest

          votes













          active

          oldest

          votes









          active

          oldest

          votes






          active

          oldest

          votes















           

          draft saved


          draft discarded















































           


          draft saved


          draft discarded














          StackExchange.ready(
          function ()
          StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1028233%2fkernel-upgrade-blocks-local-login%23new-answer', 'question_page');

          );

          Post as a guest













































































          Popular posts from this blog

          Which professions warranted travel in Medieval times?

          How do so many people here on Academia.SE, and in general, afford lavish higher education programs?

          Trouble downloading packages list due to a “Hash sum mismatch” error