Usual keyboard shortcuts changed after installing Unity in Ubuntu 18.04

The name of the pictureThe name of the pictureThe name of the pictureClash Royale CLAN TAG#URR8PPP








up vote
6
down vote

favorite
1












I was using Ubuntu 18.04 with GNOME normally, then I decided to install the Unity.



After that, the keyboard shortcuts have changed or even some of them do nothing.



For example:



CTRL+ALT+T opens a terminal, but it is not working anymore
Inside Terminator terminal I used to use this default shortcut:



CTRL+SHIFT+E but now it opens Emoji Choice menu.



How can I fix it and turn back the default keyboard shortcuts?



P.S.: I did nothing more than just install Unity.



UPDATE 1:



I installed the compiz as shown on this post.



This fixed the media keys that were not working in my keyboard, and I also could fix the keyboard shortcut for opening the terminal.



However, the CTRL+SHIFT+Eis still opening this Emoji Choice menu.







share|improve this question


















  • 3




    Possible duplicate of How to change keyboard shortcuts?
    – David Foerster
    Apr 27 at 21:08










  • @DavidFoerster actually it is different, although I have checked the solution you mentioned, the problem behavior is different. Even though the shortcuts are properly configured as the link you provided, there are conflicting ones as I mentioned above.
    – phyloflash
    Jun 28 at 23:48















up vote
6
down vote

favorite
1












I was using Ubuntu 18.04 with GNOME normally, then I decided to install the Unity.



After that, the keyboard shortcuts have changed or even some of them do nothing.



For example:



CTRL+ALT+T opens a terminal, but it is not working anymore
Inside Terminator terminal I used to use this default shortcut:



CTRL+SHIFT+E but now it opens Emoji Choice menu.



How can I fix it and turn back the default keyboard shortcuts?



P.S.: I did nothing more than just install Unity.



UPDATE 1:



I installed the compiz as shown on this post.



This fixed the media keys that were not working in my keyboard, and I also could fix the keyboard shortcut for opening the terminal.



However, the CTRL+SHIFT+Eis still opening this Emoji Choice menu.







share|improve this question


















  • 3




    Possible duplicate of How to change keyboard shortcuts?
    – David Foerster
    Apr 27 at 21:08










  • @DavidFoerster actually it is different, although I have checked the solution you mentioned, the problem behavior is different. Even though the shortcuts are properly configured as the link you provided, there are conflicting ones as I mentioned above.
    – phyloflash
    Jun 28 at 23:48













up vote
6
down vote

favorite
1









up vote
6
down vote

favorite
1






1





I was using Ubuntu 18.04 with GNOME normally, then I decided to install the Unity.



After that, the keyboard shortcuts have changed or even some of them do nothing.



For example:



CTRL+ALT+T opens a terminal, but it is not working anymore
Inside Terminator terminal I used to use this default shortcut:



CTRL+SHIFT+E but now it opens Emoji Choice menu.



How can I fix it and turn back the default keyboard shortcuts?



P.S.: I did nothing more than just install Unity.



UPDATE 1:



I installed the compiz as shown on this post.



This fixed the media keys that were not working in my keyboard, and I also could fix the keyboard shortcut for opening the terminal.



However, the CTRL+SHIFT+Eis still opening this Emoji Choice menu.







share|improve this question














I was using Ubuntu 18.04 with GNOME normally, then I decided to install the Unity.



After that, the keyboard shortcuts have changed or even some of them do nothing.



For example:



CTRL+ALT+T opens a terminal, but it is not working anymore
Inside Terminator terminal I used to use this default shortcut:



CTRL+SHIFT+E but now it opens Emoji Choice menu.



How can I fix it and turn back the default keyboard shortcuts?



P.S.: I did nothing more than just install Unity.



UPDATE 1:



I installed the compiz as shown on this post.



This fixed the media keys that were not working in my keyboard, and I also could fix the keyboard shortcut for opening the terminal.



However, the CTRL+SHIFT+Eis still opening this Emoji Choice menu.









share|improve this question













share|improve this question




share|improve this question








edited Apr 26 at 9:53

























asked Apr 26 at 6:00









phyloflash

1336




1336







  • 3




    Possible duplicate of How to change keyboard shortcuts?
    – David Foerster
    Apr 27 at 21:08










  • @DavidFoerster actually it is different, although I have checked the solution you mentioned, the problem behavior is different. Even though the shortcuts are properly configured as the link you provided, there are conflicting ones as I mentioned above.
    – phyloflash
    Jun 28 at 23:48













  • 3




    Possible duplicate of How to change keyboard shortcuts?
    – David Foerster
    Apr 27 at 21:08










  • @DavidFoerster actually it is different, although I have checked the solution you mentioned, the problem behavior is different. Even though the shortcuts are properly configured as the link you provided, there are conflicting ones as I mentioned above.
    – phyloflash
    Jun 28 at 23:48








3




3




Possible duplicate of How to change keyboard shortcuts?
– David Foerster
Apr 27 at 21:08




Possible duplicate of How to change keyboard shortcuts?
– David Foerster
Apr 27 at 21:08












@DavidFoerster actually it is different, although I have checked the solution you mentioned, the problem behavior is different. Even though the shortcuts are properly configured as the link you provided, there are conflicting ones as I mentioned above.
– phyloflash
Jun 28 at 23:48





@DavidFoerster actually it is different, although I have checked the solution you mentioned, the problem behavior is different. Even though the shortcuts are properly configured as the link you provided, there are conflicting ones as I mentioned above.
– phyloflash
Jun 28 at 23:48











3 Answers
3






active

oldest

votes

















up vote
5
down vote



accepted










Some of the shortcuts is impossible to change with built-in system settings GUI. Most other system-wide shortcuts could be changed through dconf as described here.



  • Open Terminal (Alt+Ctrl+T by default)

  • sudo apt-get install dconf-editor

  • dconf-editor

  • Navigate to desktop.ibus.panel.emoji hotkey

  • Further toggle Use default value and change the shortcut to as in the image below:

Screenshot






share|improve this answer






















  • Worked as a charm! Thank you.
    – phyloflash
    Apr 29 at 22:59

















up vote
0
down vote













Open Settings->Keyboard->Shortcuts. Once you're there, you can customize the shortcuts the way you want.






share|improve this answer




















  • Yes, but still the Emoji Choice is the one that I most dislike when I push CTRL+SHIFT+E.
    – phyloflash
    Apr 26 at 23:47






  • 1




    @phyloflash: Then change it as described in the answer.
    – David Foerster
    Apr 27 at 21:05

















up vote
0
down vote













Shortcut is introduced by ibus release 1.5.18.



Disable the shortcut key by altering the hotkey item:



gsettings set org.freedesktop.ibus.panel.emoji hotkey ''


Revert/Reset to factory defaults using:



gsettings reset org.freedesktop.ibus.panel.emoji hotkey





share|improve this answer




















    Your Answer







    StackExchange.ready(function()
    var channelOptions =
    tags: "".split(" "),
    id: "89"
    ;
    initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

    StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
    // Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
    if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
    StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
    createEditor();
    );

    else
    createEditor();

    );

    function createEditor()
    StackExchange.prepareEditor(
    heartbeatType: 'answer',
    convertImagesToLinks: true,
    noModals: false,
    showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
    reputationToPostImages: 10,
    bindNavPrevention: true,
    postfix: "",
    onDemand: true,
    discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
    ,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
    );



    );













     

    draft saved


    draft discarded


















    StackExchange.ready(
    function ()
    StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1028278%2fusual-keyboard-shortcuts-changed-after-installing-unity-in-ubuntu-18-04%23new-answer', 'question_page');

    );

    Post as a guest






























    3 Answers
    3






    active

    oldest

    votes








    3 Answers
    3






    active

    oldest

    votes









    active

    oldest

    votes






    active

    oldest

    votes








    up vote
    5
    down vote



    accepted










    Some of the shortcuts is impossible to change with built-in system settings GUI. Most other system-wide shortcuts could be changed through dconf as described here.



    • Open Terminal (Alt+Ctrl+T by default)

    • sudo apt-get install dconf-editor

    • dconf-editor

    • Navigate to desktop.ibus.panel.emoji hotkey

    • Further toggle Use default value and change the shortcut to as in the image below:

    Screenshot






    share|improve this answer






















    • Worked as a charm! Thank you.
      – phyloflash
      Apr 29 at 22:59














    up vote
    5
    down vote



    accepted










    Some of the shortcuts is impossible to change with built-in system settings GUI. Most other system-wide shortcuts could be changed through dconf as described here.



    • Open Terminal (Alt+Ctrl+T by default)

    • sudo apt-get install dconf-editor

    • dconf-editor

    • Navigate to desktop.ibus.panel.emoji hotkey

    • Further toggle Use default value and change the shortcut to as in the image below:

    Screenshot






    share|improve this answer






















    • Worked as a charm! Thank you.
      – phyloflash
      Apr 29 at 22:59












    up vote
    5
    down vote



    accepted







    up vote
    5
    down vote



    accepted






    Some of the shortcuts is impossible to change with built-in system settings GUI. Most other system-wide shortcuts could be changed through dconf as described here.



    • Open Terminal (Alt+Ctrl+T by default)

    • sudo apt-get install dconf-editor

    • dconf-editor

    • Navigate to desktop.ibus.panel.emoji hotkey

    • Further toggle Use default value and change the shortcut to as in the image below:

    Screenshot






    share|improve this answer














    Some of the shortcuts is impossible to change with built-in system settings GUI. Most other system-wide shortcuts could be changed through dconf as described here.



    • Open Terminal (Alt+Ctrl+T by default)

    • sudo apt-get install dconf-editor

    • dconf-editor

    • Navigate to desktop.ibus.panel.emoji hotkey

    • Further toggle Use default value and change the shortcut to as in the image below:

    Screenshot







    share|improve this answer














    share|improve this answer



    share|improve this answer








    edited May 7 at 10:02









    Melebius

    3,74841636




    3,74841636










    answered Apr 28 at 14:22









    Ioan Ungurean

    663




    663











    • Worked as a charm! Thank you.
      – phyloflash
      Apr 29 at 22:59
















    • Worked as a charm! Thank you.
      – phyloflash
      Apr 29 at 22:59















    Worked as a charm! Thank you.
    – phyloflash
    Apr 29 at 22:59




    Worked as a charm! Thank you.
    – phyloflash
    Apr 29 at 22:59












    up vote
    0
    down vote













    Open Settings->Keyboard->Shortcuts. Once you're there, you can customize the shortcuts the way you want.






    share|improve this answer




















    • Yes, but still the Emoji Choice is the one that I most dislike when I push CTRL+SHIFT+E.
      – phyloflash
      Apr 26 at 23:47






    • 1




      @phyloflash: Then change it as described in the answer.
      – David Foerster
      Apr 27 at 21:05














    up vote
    0
    down vote













    Open Settings->Keyboard->Shortcuts. Once you're there, you can customize the shortcuts the way you want.






    share|improve this answer




















    • Yes, but still the Emoji Choice is the one that I most dislike when I push CTRL+SHIFT+E.
      – phyloflash
      Apr 26 at 23:47






    • 1




      @phyloflash: Then change it as described in the answer.
      – David Foerster
      Apr 27 at 21:05












    up vote
    0
    down vote










    up vote
    0
    down vote









    Open Settings->Keyboard->Shortcuts. Once you're there, you can customize the shortcuts the way you want.






    share|improve this answer












    Open Settings->Keyboard->Shortcuts. Once you're there, you can customize the shortcuts the way you want.







    share|improve this answer












    share|improve this answer



    share|improve this answer










    answered Apr 26 at 10:02









    singrium

    616113




    616113











    • Yes, but still the Emoji Choice is the one that I most dislike when I push CTRL+SHIFT+E.
      – phyloflash
      Apr 26 at 23:47






    • 1




      @phyloflash: Then change it as described in the answer.
      – David Foerster
      Apr 27 at 21:05
















    • Yes, but still the Emoji Choice is the one that I most dislike when I push CTRL+SHIFT+E.
      – phyloflash
      Apr 26 at 23:47






    • 1




      @phyloflash: Then change it as described in the answer.
      – David Foerster
      Apr 27 at 21:05















    Yes, but still the Emoji Choice is the one that I most dislike when I push CTRL+SHIFT+E.
    – phyloflash
    Apr 26 at 23:47




    Yes, but still the Emoji Choice is the one that I most dislike when I push CTRL+SHIFT+E.
    – phyloflash
    Apr 26 at 23:47




    1




    1




    @phyloflash: Then change it as described in the answer.
    – David Foerster
    Apr 27 at 21:05




    @phyloflash: Then change it as described in the answer.
    – David Foerster
    Apr 27 at 21:05










    up vote
    0
    down vote













    Shortcut is introduced by ibus release 1.5.18.



    Disable the shortcut key by altering the hotkey item:



    gsettings set org.freedesktop.ibus.panel.emoji hotkey ''


    Revert/Reset to factory defaults using:



    gsettings reset org.freedesktop.ibus.panel.emoji hotkey





    share|improve this answer
























      up vote
      0
      down vote













      Shortcut is introduced by ibus release 1.5.18.



      Disable the shortcut key by altering the hotkey item:



      gsettings set org.freedesktop.ibus.panel.emoji hotkey ''


      Revert/Reset to factory defaults using:



      gsettings reset org.freedesktop.ibus.panel.emoji hotkey





      share|improve this answer






















        up vote
        0
        down vote










        up vote
        0
        down vote









        Shortcut is introduced by ibus release 1.5.18.



        Disable the shortcut key by altering the hotkey item:



        gsettings set org.freedesktop.ibus.panel.emoji hotkey ''


        Revert/Reset to factory defaults using:



        gsettings reset org.freedesktop.ibus.panel.emoji hotkey





        share|improve this answer












        Shortcut is introduced by ibus release 1.5.18.



        Disable the shortcut key by altering the hotkey item:



        gsettings set org.freedesktop.ibus.panel.emoji hotkey ''


        Revert/Reset to factory defaults using:



        gsettings reset org.freedesktop.ibus.panel.emoji hotkey






        share|improve this answer












        share|improve this answer



        share|improve this answer










        answered Jul 18 at 6:56









        Rick van der Zwet

        1312




        1312



























             

            draft saved


            draft discarded















































             


            draft saved


            draft discarded














            StackExchange.ready(
            function ()
            StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1028278%2fusual-keyboard-shortcuts-changed-after-installing-unity-in-ubuntu-18-04%23new-answer', 'question_page');

            );

            Post as a guest













































































            Popular posts from this blog

            Which professions warranted travel in Medieval times?

            How do so many people here on Academia.SE, and in general, afford lavish higher education programs?

            Trouble downloading packages list due to a “Hash sum mismatch” error