(17.10) Log in goes back to log in. [duplicate]

The name of the pictureThe name of the pictureThe name of the pictureClash Royale CLAN TAG#URR8PPP








up vote
0
down vote

favorite













This question already has an answer here:



  • Ubuntu gets stuck in a login loop

    39 answers



I don't know what happened. Clearly some file got corrupted in my /home folder.
As such when I type my password, the system tries to log me in (purple screen) then dumps me back to the log in screen.



I can log in on command line (alt+F2) and I can log in as a different user normally.



Only entry in jouranlctl -f I can find relevant to this is a failure to write ICEAuthority file (I've tried to chmod it to me again, but it still says cannot write).



Any ideas?



Thank you.







share|improve this question












marked as duplicate by user68186, karel, Eric Carvalho, David Foerster, Fabby Apr 25 at 20:43


This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.


















    up vote
    0
    down vote

    favorite













    This question already has an answer here:



    • Ubuntu gets stuck in a login loop

      39 answers



    I don't know what happened. Clearly some file got corrupted in my /home folder.
    As such when I type my password, the system tries to log me in (purple screen) then dumps me back to the log in screen.



    I can log in on command line (alt+F2) and I can log in as a different user normally.



    Only entry in jouranlctl -f I can find relevant to this is a failure to write ICEAuthority file (I've tried to chmod it to me again, but it still says cannot write).



    Any ideas?



    Thank you.







    share|improve this question












    marked as duplicate by user68186, karel, Eric Carvalho, David Foerster, Fabby Apr 25 at 20:43


    This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.
















      up vote
      0
      down vote

      favorite









      up vote
      0
      down vote

      favorite












      This question already has an answer here:



      • Ubuntu gets stuck in a login loop

        39 answers



      I don't know what happened. Clearly some file got corrupted in my /home folder.
      As such when I type my password, the system tries to log me in (purple screen) then dumps me back to the log in screen.



      I can log in on command line (alt+F2) and I can log in as a different user normally.



      Only entry in jouranlctl -f I can find relevant to this is a failure to write ICEAuthority file (I've tried to chmod it to me again, but it still says cannot write).



      Any ideas?



      Thank you.







      share|improve this question













      This question already has an answer here:



      • Ubuntu gets stuck in a login loop

        39 answers



      I don't know what happened. Clearly some file got corrupted in my /home folder.
      As such when I type my password, the system tries to log me in (purple screen) then dumps me back to the log in screen.



      I can log in on command line (alt+F2) and I can log in as a different user normally.



      Only entry in jouranlctl -f I can find relevant to this is a failure to write ICEAuthority file (I've tried to chmod it to me again, but it still says cannot write).



      Any ideas?



      Thank you.





      This question already has an answer here:



      • Ubuntu gets stuck in a login loop

        39 answers









      share|improve this question











      share|improve this question




      share|improve this question










      asked Apr 24 at 21:54









      Alex Kambas

      61




      61




      marked as duplicate by user68186, karel, Eric Carvalho, David Foerster, Fabby Apr 25 at 20:43


      This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.






      marked as duplicate by user68186, karel, Eric Carvalho, David Foerster, Fabby Apr 25 at 20:43


      This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.






















          1 Answer
          1






          active

          oldest

          votes

















          up vote
          0
          down vote













          To check a common cause of this error...



          • boot to the GRUB menu

          • choose Advanced Options

          • choose Recovery mode

          • choose Root access

          • at the # prompt, type:

          ls -al /home/your_username/.*author* # use the correct your_username



          If you see either of these files owned by root:root...



          -rw------- 1 root root 352K Apr 24 09:28 .ICEauthority

          -rw------- 1 root root 58 Jun 23 2017 .Xauthority


          Then...



          sudo mount -o remount,rw / # to mount the disk as read/write



          cd /home/your_username # again, use the correct your_username



          sudo chown your_username:your_username .ICEauthority # use correct your_username



          sudo chown your_username:your_username .Xauthority # use correct your_username



          sudo chmod 600 .*author* # change the file(s) permissions



          reboot



          And retest your normal login.






          share|improve this answer






















          • Thank you. I've tried it. All files owned by the correct user. I created a new user and was able to log in fine with the new user. Reboot, and I could no longer log in with the new user either. So I gave up and installed 18.04 from scratch (already had a backup).
            – Alex Kambas
            May 3 at 20:14


















          1 Answer
          1






          active

          oldest

          votes








          1 Answer
          1






          active

          oldest

          votes









          active

          oldest

          votes






          active

          oldest

          votes








          up vote
          0
          down vote













          To check a common cause of this error...



          • boot to the GRUB menu

          • choose Advanced Options

          • choose Recovery mode

          • choose Root access

          • at the # prompt, type:

          ls -al /home/your_username/.*author* # use the correct your_username



          If you see either of these files owned by root:root...



          -rw------- 1 root root 352K Apr 24 09:28 .ICEauthority

          -rw------- 1 root root 58 Jun 23 2017 .Xauthority


          Then...



          sudo mount -o remount,rw / # to mount the disk as read/write



          cd /home/your_username # again, use the correct your_username



          sudo chown your_username:your_username .ICEauthority # use correct your_username



          sudo chown your_username:your_username .Xauthority # use correct your_username



          sudo chmod 600 .*author* # change the file(s) permissions



          reboot



          And retest your normal login.






          share|improve this answer






















          • Thank you. I've tried it. All files owned by the correct user. I created a new user and was able to log in fine with the new user. Reboot, and I could no longer log in with the new user either. So I gave up and installed 18.04 from scratch (already had a backup).
            – Alex Kambas
            May 3 at 20:14















          up vote
          0
          down vote













          To check a common cause of this error...



          • boot to the GRUB menu

          • choose Advanced Options

          • choose Recovery mode

          • choose Root access

          • at the # prompt, type:

          ls -al /home/your_username/.*author* # use the correct your_username



          If you see either of these files owned by root:root...



          -rw------- 1 root root 352K Apr 24 09:28 .ICEauthority

          -rw------- 1 root root 58 Jun 23 2017 .Xauthority


          Then...



          sudo mount -o remount,rw / # to mount the disk as read/write



          cd /home/your_username # again, use the correct your_username



          sudo chown your_username:your_username .ICEauthority # use correct your_username



          sudo chown your_username:your_username .Xauthority # use correct your_username



          sudo chmod 600 .*author* # change the file(s) permissions



          reboot



          And retest your normal login.






          share|improve this answer






















          • Thank you. I've tried it. All files owned by the correct user. I created a new user and was able to log in fine with the new user. Reboot, and I could no longer log in with the new user either. So I gave up and installed 18.04 from scratch (already had a backup).
            – Alex Kambas
            May 3 at 20:14













          up vote
          0
          down vote










          up vote
          0
          down vote









          To check a common cause of this error...



          • boot to the GRUB menu

          • choose Advanced Options

          • choose Recovery mode

          • choose Root access

          • at the # prompt, type:

          ls -al /home/your_username/.*author* # use the correct your_username



          If you see either of these files owned by root:root...



          -rw------- 1 root root 352K Apr 24 09:28 .ICEauthority

          -rw------- 1 root root 58 Jun 23 2017 .Xauthority


          Then...



          sudo mount -o remount,rw / # to mount the disk as read/write



          cd /home/your_username # again, use the correct your_username



          sudo chown your_username:your_username .ICEauthority # use correct your_username



          sudo chown your_username:your_username .Xauthority # use correct your_username



          sudo chmod 600 .*author* # change the file(s) permissions



          reboot



          And retest your normal login.






          share|improve this answer














          To check a common cause of this error...



          • boot to the GRUB menu

          • choose Advanced Options

          • choose Recovery mode

          • choose Root access

          • at the # prompt, type:

          ls -al /home/your_username/.*author* # use the correct your_username



          If you see either of these files owned by root:root...



          -rw------- 1 root root 352K Apr 24 09:28 .ICEauthority

          -rw------- 1 root root 58 Jun 23 2017 .Xauthority


          Then...



          sudo mount -o remount,rw / # to mount the disk as read/write



          cd /home/your_username # again, use the correct your_username



          sudo chown your_username:your_username .ICEauthority # use correct your_username



          sudo chown your_username:your_username .Xauthority # use correct your_username



          sudo chmod 600 .*author* # change the file(s) permissions



          reboot



          And retest your normal login.







          share|improve this answer














          share|improve this answer



          share|improve this answer








          edited Apr 24 at 23:28

























          answered Apr 24 at 22:53









          heynnema

          15.4k21945




          15.4k21945











          • Thank you. I've tried it. All files owned by the correct user. I created a new user and was able to log in fine with the new user. Reboot, and I could no longer log in with the new user either. So I gave up and installed 18.04 from scratch (already had a backup).
            – Alex Kambas
            May 3 at 20:14

















          • Thank you. I've tried it. All files owned by the correct user. I created a new user and was able to log in fine with the new user. Reboot, and I could no longer log in with the new user either. So I gave up and installed 18.04 from scratch (already had a backup).
            – Alex Kambas
            May 3 at 20:14
















          Thank you. I've tried it. All files owned by the correct user. I created a new user and was able to log in fine with the new user. Reboot, and I could no longer log in with the new user either. So I gave up and installed 18.04 from scratch (already had a backup).
          – Alex Kambas
          May 3 at 20:14





          Thank you. I've tried it. All files owned by the correct user. I created a new user and was able to log in fine with the new user. Reboot, and I could no longer log in with the new user either. So I gave up and installed 18.04 from scratch (already had a backup).
          – Alex Kambas
          May 3 at 20:14



          Popular posts from this blog

          Which professions warranted travel in Medieval times?

          How do so many people here on Academia.SE, and in general, afford lavish higher education programs?

          Trouble downloading packages list due to a “Hash sum mismatch” error