VNC connection to headless Ubuntu workstation - black screen after login

The name of the pictureThe name of the pictureThe name of the pictureClash Royale CLAN TAG#URR8PPP








up vote
2
down vote

favorite












I managed to be able to get to the logon screen of Ubuntu 16.04LTS via VNC/ssh following several nice guides on these websites:



http://machine-cycle.blogspot.com/2012/04/remote-gdm3-login-with-vnc.html
http://c-nergy.be/blog/?p=11231
https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-install-and-configure-vnc-on-ubuntu-16-04



However, once I logged on all I see is a black screen and a cursor. With a display attached on the remote machine, the logon worked there, but is not shared via vnc. Without any monitor attached, I get back to the login screen immediately after successful login. The only configuration that somewhat worked was using the XFCE4 window manager, but that causes a number of applications to crash (RStudio). Therefore, I'd rather have it up and running with XUbuntu or Gnome.



Btw, VNC is no problem using the Remote Sharing AFTER login. But I really want a headless system (or with attached diplayport dongle emulating a display).



Any help is greatly appreciated!



-Geo










share|improve this question



























    up vote
    2
    down vote

    favorite












    I managed to be able to get to the logon screen of Ubuntu 16.04LTS via VNC/ssh following several nice guides on these websites:



    http://machine-cycle.blogspot.com/2012/04/remote-gdm3-login-with-vnc.html
    http://c-nergy.be/blog/?p=11231
    https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-install-and-configure-vnc-on-ubuntu-16-04



    However, once I logged on all I see is a black screen and a cursor. With a display attached on the remote machine, the logon worked there, but is not shared via vnc. Without any monitor attached, I get back to the login screen immediately after successful login. The only configuration that somewhat worked was using the XFCE4 window manager, but that causes a number of applications to crash (RStudio). Therefore, I'd rather have it up and running with XUbuntu or Gnome.



    Btw, VNC is no problem using the Remote Sharing AFTER login. But I really want a headless system (or with attached diplayport dongle emulating a display).



    Any help is greatly appreciated!



    -Geo










    share|improve this question

























      up vote
      2
      down vote

      favorite









      up vote
      2
      down vote

      favorite











      I managed to be able to get to the logon screen of Ubuntu 16.04LTS via VNC/ssh following several nice guides on these websites:



      http://machine-cycle.blogspot.com/2012/04/remote-gdm3-login-with-vnc.html
      http://c-nergy.be/blog/?p=11231
      https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-install-and-configure-vnc-on-ubuntu-16-04



      However, once I logged on all I see is a black screen and a cursor. With a display attached on the remote machine, the logon worked there, but is not shared via vnc. Without any monitor attached, I get back to the login screen immediately after successful login. The only configuration that somewhat worked was using the XFCE4 window manager, but that causes a number of applications to crash (RStudio). Therefore, I'd rather have it up and running with XUbuntu or Gnome.



      Btw, VNC is no problem using the Remote Sharing AFTER login. But I really want a headless system (or with attached diplayport dongle emulating a display).



      Any help is greatly appreciated!



      -Geo










      share|improve this question















      I managed to be able to get to the logon screen of Ubuntu 16.04LTS via VNC/ssh following several nice guides on these websites:



      http://machine-cycle.blogspot.com/2012/04/remote-gdm3-login-with-vnc.html
      http://c-nergy.be/blog/?p=11231
      https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-install-and-configure-vnc-on-ubuntu-16-04



      However, once I logged on all I see is a black screen and a cursor. With a display attached on the remote machine, the logon worked there, but is not shared via vnc. Without any monitor attached, I get back to the login screen immediately after successful login. The only configuration that somewhat worked was using the XFCE4 window manager, but that causes a number of applications to crash (RStudio). Therefore, I'd rather have it up and running with XUbuntu or Gnome.



      Btw, VNC is no problem using the Remote Sharing AFTER login. But I really want a headless system (or with attached diplayport dongle emulating a display).



      Any help is greatly appreciated!



      -Geo







      vnc headless






      share|improve this question















      share|improve this question













      share|improve this question




      share|improve this question








      edited Mar 7 at 19:11

























      asked Mar 5 at 19:03









      Geo Vogler

      113




      113

























          active

          oldest

          votes











          Your Answer







          StackExchange.ready(function()
          var channelOptions =
          tags: "".split(" "),
          id: "89"
          ;
          initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

          StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
          // Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
          if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
          StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
          createEditor();
          );

          else
          createEditor();

          );

          function createEditor()
          StackExchange.prepareEditor(
          heartbeatType: 'answer',
          convertImagesToLinks: true,
          noModals: false,
          showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
          reputationToPostImages: 10,
          bindNavPrevention: true,
          postfix: "",
          onDemand: true,
          discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
          ,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
          );



          );













           

          draft saved


          draft discarded


















          StackExchange.ready(
          function ()
          StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1012161%2fvnc-connection-to-headless-ubuntu-workstation-black-screen-after-login%23new-answer', 'question_page');

          );

          Post as a guest



































          active

          oldest

          votes













          active

          oldest

          votes









          active

          oldest

          votes






          active

          oldest

          votes















           

          draft saved


          draft discarded















































           


          draft saved


          draft discarded














          StackExchange.ready(
          function ()
          StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1012161%2fvnc-connection-to-headless-ubuntu-workstation-black-screen-after-login%23new-answer', 'question_page');

          );

          Post as a guest













































































          Popular posts from this blog

          Which professions warranted travel in Medieval times?

          How do so many people here on Academia.SE, and in general, afford lavish higher education programs?

          Trouble downloading packages list due to a “Hash sum mismatch” error