Kubuntu 14.04 LTS corrupted, how to recover? Also want an upgrade

The name of the pictureThe name of the pictureThe name of the pictureClash Royale CLAN TAG#URR8PPP








up vote
0
down vote

favorite












Linuhackz here. I was using my desktop as usual. One day it automatically logged out by itself and when i try to log in, it goes back to the login window. Again and again I have to log in and the wallpaper doesn't even show properly! I cannot fix this problem. I am running Ubuntu Unity 14.04 along with KDE and GNOME. As I can't fix this problem, I want to upgrade it. Along with that I will do a recovery. How do I do both?



-Linuhackz



EDIT: This also has a system program problem that is there. I think this has something to do with the desktop. Should I login to the terminal? And this has nothing to do with graphics.



-L.Hz.







share|improve this question






















  • While you're on the login screen, press CTRL+ALT+F1. It'll get you to a terminal screen. Enter your username and your password, then you'll be in a shell with your user. Try running journalctl -xe on it so that we can see the error?
    – Ad5001
    Apr 19 at 14:43











  • If you want to upgrade, i advise you to make a bootable usb, backup your data and completely wipe your drive. doing dist-upgrade may work but is not recommended.
    – Glenn van Acker
    Apr 19 at 16:07






  • 1




    Possible duplicate of Ubuntu gets stuck in a login loop
    – karel
    Apr 21 at 9:37














up vote
0
down vote

favorite












Linuhackz here. I was using my desktop as usual. One day it automatically logged out by itself and when i try to log in, it goes back to the login window. Again and again I have to log in and the wallpaper doesn't even show properly! I cannot fix this problem. I am running Ubuntu Unity 14.04 along with KDE and GNOME. As I can't fix this problem, I want to upgrade it. Along with that I will do a recovery. How do I do both?



-Linuhackz



EDIT: This also has a system program problem that is there. I think this has something to do with the desktop. Should I login to the terminal? And this has nothing to do with graphics.



-L.Hz.







share|improve this question






















  • While you're on the login screen, press CTRL+ALT+F1. It'll get you to a terminal screen. Enter your username and your password, then you'll be in a shell with your user. Try running journalctl -xe on it so that we can see the error?
    – Ad5001
    Apr 19 at 14:43











  • If you want to upgrade, i advise you to make a bootable usb, backup your data and completely wipe your drive. doing dist-upgrade may work but is not recommended.
    – Glenn van Acker
    Apr 19 at 16:07






  • 1




    Possible duplicate of Ubuntu gets stuck in a login loop
    – karel
    Apr 21 at 9:37












up vote
0
down vote

favorite









up vote
0
down vote

favorite











Linuhackz here. I was using my desktop as usual. One day it automatically logged out by itself and when i try to log in, it goes back to the login window. Again and again I have to log in and the wallpaper doesn't even show properly! I cannot fix this problem. I am running Ubuntu Unity 14.04 along with KDE and GNOME. As I can't fix this problem, I want to upgrade it. Along with that I will do a recovery. How do I do both?



-Linuhackz



EDIT: This also has a system program problem that is there. I think this has something to do with the desktop. Should I login to the terminal? And this has nothing to do with graphics.



-L.Hz.







share|improve this question














Linuhackz here. I was using my desktop as usual. One day it automatically logged out by itself and when i try to log in, it goes back to the login window. Again and again I have to log in and the wallpaper doesn't even show properly! I cannot fix this problem. I am running Ubuntu Unity 14.04 along with KDE and GNOME. As I can't fix this problem, I want to upgrade it. Along with that I will do a recovery. How do I do both?



-Linuhackz



EDIT: This also has a system program problem that is there. I think this has something to do with the desktop. Should I login to the terminal? And this has nothing to do with graphics.



-L.Hz.









share|improve this question













share|improve this question




share|improve this question








edited Apr 22 at 5:12

























asked Apr 19 at 14:23









linuhackz

1918




1918











  • While you're on the login screen, press CTRL+ALT+F1. It'll get you to a terminal screen. Enter your username and your password, then you'll be in a shell with your user. Try running journalctl -xe on it so that we can see the error?
    – Ad5001
    Apr 19 at 14:43











  • If you want to upgrade, i advise you to make a bootable usb, backup your data and completely wipe your drive. doing dist-upgrade may work but is not recommended.
    – Glenn van Acker
    Apr 19 at 16:07






  • 1




    Possible duplicate of Ubuntu gets stuck in a login loop
    – karel
    Apr 21 at 9:37
















  • While you're on the login screen, press CTRL+ALT+F1. It'll get you to a terminal screen. Enter your username and your password, then you'll be in a shell with your user. Try running journalctl -xe on it so that we can see the error?
    – Ad5001
    Apr 19 at 14:43











  • If you want to upgrade, i advise you to make a bootable usb, backup your data and completely wipe your drive. doing dist-upgrade may work but is not recommended.
    – Glenn van Acker
    Apr 19 at 16:07






  • 1




    Possible duplicate of Ubuntu gets stuck in a login loop
    – karel
    Apr 21 at 9:37















While you're on the login screen, press CTRL+ALT+F1. It'll get you to a terminal screen. Enter your username and your password, then you'll be in a shell with your user. Try running journalctl -xe on it so that we can see the error?
– Ad5001
Apr 19 at 14:43





While you're on the login screen, press CTRL+ALT+F1. It'll get you to a terminal screen. Enter your username and your password, then you'll be in a shell with your user. Try running journalctl -xe on it so that we can see the error?
– Ad5001
Apr 19 at 14:43













If you want to upgrade, i advise you to make a bootable usb, backup your data and completely wipe your drive. doing dist-upgrade may work but is not recommended.
– Glenn van Acker
Apr 19 at 16:07




If you want to upgrade, i advise you to make a bootable usb, backup your data and completely wipe your drive. doing dist-upgrade may work but is not recommended.
– Glenn van Acker
Apr 19 at 16:07




1




1




Possible duplicate of Ubuntu gets stuck in a login loop
– karel
Apr 21 at 9:37




Possible duplicate of Ubuntu gets stuck in a login loop
– karel
Apr 21 at 9:37















active

oldest

votes











Your Answer







StackExchange.ready(function()
var channelOptions =
tags: "".split(" "),
id: "89"
;
initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
// Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
createEditor();
);

else
createEditor();

);

function createEditor()
StackExchange.prepareEditor(
heartbeatType: 'answer',
convertImagesToLinks: true,
noModals: false,
showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
reputationToPostImages: 10,
bindNavPrevention: true,
postfix: "",
onDemand: true,
discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
);



);













 

draft saved


draft discarded


















StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1026414%2fkubuntu-14-04-lts-corrupted-how-to-recover-also-want-an-upgrade%23new-answer', 'question_page');

);

Post as a guest



































active

oldest

votes













active

oldest

votes









active

oldest

votes






active

oldest

votes















 

draft saved


draft discarded















































 


draft saved


draft discarded














StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1026414%2fkubuntu-14-04-lts-corrupted-how-to-recover-also-want-an-upgrade%23new-answer', 'question_page');

);

Post as a guest













































































Popular posts from this blog

Which professions warranted travel in Medieval times?

How do so many people here on Academia.SE, and in general, afford lavish higher education programs?

Trouble downloading packages list due to a “Hash sum mismatch” error