Editing /etc/hosts causes Apache server block to be missed

The name of the pictureThe name of the pictureThe name of the pictureClash Royale CLAN TAG#URR8PPP








up vote
0
down vote

favorite












In order to fix some email (SPF) issues, I changed my Ubuntu VPS hostname to its FQDN in /etc/hosts and /etc/hostname. However, now, when I hit the URL in a browser I get a 404 from Apache instead of triggering the block in /etc/apache2/sites-available/example.com which would redirect to the www version of the site. Typing www.example.com still works.



My hosts file now looks like this:

127.0.0.1 localhost
256.256.256.256 example.com # I am using a real IP and FQDN, obviously



I don't know enough about it to know why Apache is serving up a 404. It says The requested URL / cannot be found on this server and nothing else. Why did editing my hosts file cause this?










share|improve this question





















  • I deleted the entry in /etc/hosts with the IP and domain and it's still happening - could it actually be /etc/hostname that is causing the issue?
    – armadadrive
    Feb 5 at 21:33










  • Figured it out - 000-default.conf is actually enabled and needs to be updated, whereas I never paid it any attention before since everything "just worked".
    – armadadrive
    Feb 5 at 21:50










  • Don't put the FQDN in your /etc/hosts or /etc/hostname - this should just be the locally known hostname for your machine, otherwise a few things will work weirdly. Also, what is in there is not related to your Apache setup or how people on the internet find your machine.
    – thomasrutter
    Feb 5 at 22:45











  • If I didn't do that then mail sent from that machine was failing SPF because the machine was sending as mymachinename.local in mail headers I examined.
    – armadadrive
    Feb 5 at 22:56










  • You need to configure the mail hostname in your MTA, eg myhostname in postfix. Set this to a FQDN, or set it to a blank string and set mydomain and it'll automatically determine the FQDN. No need to change /etc/hostname or /etc/hosts to something non-standard just to try and influence one service because what's in those files can effect other things on the system.
    – thomasrutter
    Feb 6 at 1:52















up vote
0
down vote

favorite












In order to fix some email (SPF) issues, I changed my Ubuntu VPS hostname to its FQDN in /etc/hosts and /etc/hostname. However, now, when I hit the URL in a browser I get a 404 from Apache instead of triggering the block in /etc/apache2/sites-available/example.com which would redirect to the www version of the site. Typing www.example.com still works.



My hosts file now looks like this:

127.0.0.1 localhost
256.256.256.256 example.com # I am using a real IP and FQDN, obviously



I don't know enough about it to know why Apache is serving up a 404. It says The requested URL / cannot be found on this server and nothing else. Why did editing my hosts file cause this?










share|improve this question





















  • I deleted the entry in /etc/hosts with the IP and domain and it's still happening - could it actually be /etc/hostname that is causing the issue?
    – armadadrive
    Feb 5 at 21:33










  • Figured it out - 000-default.conf is actually enabled and needs to be updated, whereas I never paid it any attention before since everything "just worked".
    – armadadrive
    Feb 5 at 21:50










  • Don't put the FQDN in your /etc/hosts or /etc/hostname - this should just be the locally known hostname for your machine, otherwise a few things will work weirdly. Also, what is in there is not related to your Apache setup or how people on the internet find your machine.
    – thomasrutter
    Feb 5 at 22:45











  • If I didn't do that then mail sent from that machine was failing SPF because the machine was sending as mymachinename.local in mail headers I examined.
    – armadadrive
    Feb 5 at 22:56










  • You need to configure the mail hostname in your MTA, eg myhostname in postfix. Set this to a FQDN, or set it to a blank string and set mydomain and it'll automatically determine the FQDN. No need to change /etc/hostname or /etc/hosts to something non-standard just to try and influence one service because what's in those files can effect other things on the system.
    – thomasrutter
    Feb 6 at 1:52













up vote
0
down vote

favorite









up vote
0
down vote

favorite











In order to fix some email (SPF) issues, I changed my Ubuntu VPS hostname to its FQDN in /etc/hosts and /etc/hostname. However, now, when I hit the URL in a browser I get a 404 from Apache instead of triggering the block in /etc/apache2/sites-available/example.com which would redirect to the www version of the site. Typing www.example.com still works.



My hosts file now looks like this:

127.0.0.1 localhost
256.256.256.256 example.com # I am using a real IP and FQDN, obviously



I don't know enough about it to know why Apache is serving up a 404. It says The requested URL / cannot be found on this server and nothing else. Why did editing my hosts file cause this?










share|improve this question













In order to fix some email (SPF) issues, I changed my Ubuntu VPS hostname to its FQDN in /etc/hosts and /etc/hostname. However, now, when I hit the URL in a browser I get a 404 from Apache instead of triggering the block in /etc/apache2/sites-available/example.com which would redirect to the www version of the site. Typing www.example.com still works.



My hosts file now looks like this:

127.0.0.1 localhost
256.256.256.256 example.com # I am using a real IP and FQDN, obviously



I don't know enough about it to know why Apache is serving up a 404. It says The requested URL / cannot be found on this server and nothing else. Why did editing my hosts file cause this?







apache2 hosts






share|improve this question













share|improve this question











share|improve this question




share|improve this question










asked Feb 5 at 21:22









armadadrive

61857




61857











  • I deleted the entry in /etc/hosts with the IP and domain and it's still happening - could it actually be /etc/hostname that is causing the issue?
    – armadadrive
    Feb 5 at 21:33










  • Figured it out - 000-default.conf is actually enabled and needs to be updated, whereas I never paid it any attention before since everything "just worked".
    – armadadrive
    Feb 5 at 21:50










  • Don't put the FQDN in your /etc/hosts or /etc/hostname - this should just be the locally known hostname for your machine, otherwise a few things will work weirdly. Also, what is in there is not related to your Apache setup or how people on the internet find your machine.
    – thomasrutter
    Feb 5 at 22:45











  • If I didn't do that then mail sent from that machine was failing SPF because the machine was sending as mymachinename.local in mail headers I examined.
    – armadadrive
    Feb 5 at 22:56










  • You need to configure the mail hostname in your MTA, eg myhostname in postfix. Set this to a FQDN, or set it to a blank string and set mydomain and it'll automatically determine the FQDN. No need to change /etc/hostname or /etc/hosts to something non-standard just to try and influence one service because what's in those files can effect other things on the system.
    – thomasrutter
    Feb 6 at 1:52

















  • I deleted the entry in /etc/hosts with the IP and domain and it's still happening - could it actually be /etc/hostname that is causing the issue?
    – armadadrive
    Feb 5 at 21:33










  • Figured it out - 000-default.conf is actually enabled and needs to be updated, whereas I never paid it any attention before since everything "just worked".
    – armadadrive
    Feb 5 at 21:50










  • Don't put the FQDN in your /etc/hosts or /etc/hostname - this should just be the locally known hostname for your machine, otherwise a few things will work weirdly. Also, what is in there is not related to your Apache setup or how people on the internet find your machine.
    – thomasrutter
    Feb 5 at 22:45











  • If I didn't do that then mail sent from that machine was failing SPF because the machine was sending as mymachinename.local in mail headers I examined.
    – armadadrive
    Feb 5 at 22:56










  • You need to configure the mail hostname in your MTA, eg myhostname in postfix. Set this to a FQDN, or set it to a blank string and set mydomain and it'll automatically determine the FQDN. No need to change /etc/hostname or /etc/hosts to something non-standard just to try and influence one service because what's in those files can effect other things on the system.
    – thomasrutter
    Feb 6 at 1:52
















I deleted the entry in /etc/hosts with the IP and domain and it's still happening - could it actually be /etc/hostname that is causing the issue?
– armadadrive
Feb 5 at 21:33




I deleted the entry in /etc/hosts with the IP and domain and it's still happening - could it actually be /etc/hostname that is causing the issue?
– armadadrive
Feb 5 at 21:33












Figured it out - 000-default.conf is actually enabled and needs to be updated, whereas I never paid it any attention before since everything "just worked".
– armadadrive
Feb 5 at 21:50




Figured it out - 000-default.conf is actually enabled and needs to be updated, whereas I never paid it any attention before since everything "just worked".
– armadadrive
Feb 5 at 21:50












Don't put the FQDN in your /etc/hosts or /etc/hostname - this should just be the locally known hostname for your machine, otherwise a few things will work weirdly. Also, what is in there is not related to your Apache setup or how people on the internet find your machine.
– thomasrutter
Feb 5 at 22:45





Don't put the FQDN in your /etc/hosts or /etc/hostname - this should just be the locally known hostname for your machine, otherwise a few things will work weirdly. Also, what is in there is not related to your Apache setup or how people on the internet find your machine.
– thomasrutter
Feb 5 at 22:45













If I didn't do that then mail sent from that machine was failing SPF because the machine was sending as mymachinename.local in mail headers I examined.
– armadadrive
Feb 5 at 22:56




If I didn't do that then mail sent from that machine was failing SPF because the machine was sending as mymachinename.local in mail headers I examined.
– armadadrive
Feb 5 at 22:56












You need to configure the mail hostname in your MTA, eg myhostname in postfix. Set this to a FQDN, or set it to a blank string and set mydomain and it'll automatically determine the FQDN. No need to change /etc/hostname or /etc/hosts to something non-standard just to try and influence one service because what's in those files can effect other things on the system.
– thomasrutter
Feb 6 at 1:52





You need to configure the mail hostname in your MTA, eg myhostname in postfix. Set this to a FQDN, or set it to a blank string and set mydomain and it'll automatically determine the FQDN. No need to change /etc/hostname or /etc/hosts to something non-standard just to try and influence one service because what's in those files can effect other things on the system.
– thomasrutter
Feb 6 at 1:52











1 Answer
1






active

oldest

votes

















up vote
0
down vote













The issue is actually in the default Apache configuration file (/etc/apache2/sites-available/000-default.conf).



Uncomment the line:



#ServerName example.com and add your server's FQDN (fully qualified domain name).



Finally, run sudo service apache2 reload to have Apache pickup on the config file change.






share|improve this answer




















    Your Answer







    StackExchange.ready(function()
    var channelOptions =
    tags: "".split(" "),
    id: "89"
    ;
    initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

    StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
    // Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
    if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
    StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
    createEditor();
    );

    else
    createEditor();

    );

    function createEditor()
    StackExchange.prepareEditor(
    heartbeatType: 'answer',
    convertImagesToLinks: true,
    noModals: false,
    showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
    reputationToPostImages: 10,
    bindNavPrevention: true,
    postfix: "",
    onDemand: true,
    discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
    ,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
    );



    );













     

    draft saved


    draft discarded


















    StackExchange.ready(
    function ()
    StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1003369%2fediting-etc-hosts-causes-apache-server-block-to-be-missed%23new-answer', 'question_page');

    );

    Post as a guest






























    1 Answer
    1






    active

    oldest

    votes








    1 Answer
    1






    active

    oldest

    votes









    active

    oldest

    votes






    active

    oldest

    votes








    up vote
    0
    down vote













    The issue is actually in the default Apache configuration file (/etc/apache2/sites-available/000-default.conf).



    Uncomment the line:



    #ServerName example.com and add your server's FQDN (fully qualified domain name).



    Finally, run sudo service apache2 reload to have Apache pickup on the config file change.






    share|improve this answer
























      up vote
      0
      down vote













      The issue is actually in the default Apache configuration file (/etc/apache2/sites-available/000-default.conf).



      Uncomment the line:



      #ServerName example.com and add your server's FQDN (fully qualified domain name).



      Finally, run sudo service apache2 reload to have Apache pickup on the config file change.






      share|improve this answer






















        up vote
        0
        down vote










        up vote
        0
        down vote









        The issue is actually in the default Apache configuration file (/etc/apache2/sites-available/000-default.conf).



        Uncomment the line:



        #ServerName example.com and add your server's FQDN (fully qualified domain name).



        Finally, run sudo service apache2 reload to have Apache pickup on the config file change.






        share|improve this answer












        The issue is actually in the default Apache configuration file (/etc/apache2/sites-available/000-default.conf).



        Uncomment the line:



        #ServerName example.com and add your server's FQDN (fully qualified domain name).



        Finally, run sudo service apache2 reload to have Apache pickup on the config file change.







        share|improve this answer












        share|improve this answer



        share|improve this answer










        answered Feb 5 at 21:49









        armadadrive

        61857




        61857



























             

            draft saved


            draft discarded















































             


            draft saved


            draft discarded














            StackExchange.ready(
            function ()
            StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1003369%2fediting-etc-hosts-causes-apache-server-block-to-be-missed%23new-answer', 'question_page');

            );

            Post as a guest













































































            Popular posts from this blog

            Which professions warranted travel in Medieval times?

            How do so many people here on Academia.SE, and in general, afford lavish higher education programs?

            Trouble downloading packages list due to a “Hash sum mismatch” error