Unable to install latest LTS / GRUB2 install issue

Clash Royale CLAN TAG#URR8PPP up vote
1
down vote
favorite
I currently have 12.04 LTS installed and was trying to update to 16.04.4 LTS however I got myself in a bit of mire :(.
- I created a bootable USB containing 16.04.4 LTS and installation was going great until the end when I got hit with an error message
grub-efi-amd64 package failed to install... - I repeated above and obtained same error however in doing so I added another partition to my disk resulting in 2 copies of 16.04.4 getting written.
- I have checked some answers and tried some stuff to resolve without success
- Booted from USB and ran try Ubuntu & installed/ran boot_repair and generated a boot-info file
- I then tried to run Gparted to remove the last installation of 16.04.4 - so deleted sda6 partition.
- Reran boot-repair to get boot-info
- The file has some comments about what needs done - looking for sanity check before I commit to running boot-repair in repair mode
I checked system BIOS settings and boot order defined for both UEFI & Legacy support / Legacy support enabled & secure boot disabled
If any other information is needed let me know.
boot grub2 partitioning uefi
add a comment |Â
up vote
1
down vote
favorite
I currently have 12.04 LTS installed and was trying to update to 16.04.4 LTS however I got myself in a bit of mire :(.
- I created a bootable USB containing 16.04.4 LTS and installation was going great until the end when I got hit with an error message
grub-efi-amd64 package failed to install... - I repeated above and obtained same error however in doing so I added another partition to my disk resulting in 2 copies of 16.04.4 getting written.
- I have checked some answers and tried some stuff to resolve without success
- Booted from USB and ran try Ubuntu & installed/ran boot_repair and generated a boot-info file
- I then tried to run Gparted to remove the last installation of 16.04.4 - so deleted sda6 partition.
- Reran boot-repair to get boot-info
- The file has some comments about what needs done - looking for sanity check before I commit to running boot-repair in repair mode
I checked system BIOS settings and boot order defined for both UEFI & Legacy support / Legacy support enabled & secure boot disabled
If any other information is needed let me know.
boot grub2 partitioning uefi
add a comment |Â
up vote
1
down vote
favorite
up vote
1
down vote
favorite
I currently have 12.04 LTS installed and was trying to update to 16.04.4 LTS however I got myself in a bit of mire :(.
- I created a bootable USB containing 16.04.4 LTS and installation was going great until the end when I got hit with an error message
grub-efi-amd64 package failed to install... - I repeated above and obtained same error however in doing so I added another partition to my disk resulting in 2 copies of 16.04.4 getting written.
- I have checked some answers and tried some stuff to resolve without success
- Booted from USB and ran try Ubuntu & installed/ran boot_repair and generated a boot-info file
- I then tried to run Gparted to remove the last installation of 16.04.4 - so deleted sda6 partition.
- Reran boot-repair to get boot-info
- The file has some comments about what needs done - looking for sanity check before I commit to running boot-repair in repair mode
I checked system BIOS settings and boot order defined for both UEFI & Legacy support / Legacy support enabled & secure boot disabled
If any other information is needed let me know.
boot grub2 partitioning uefi
I currently have 12.04 LTS installed and was trying to update to 16.04.4 LTS however I got myself in a bit of mire :(.
- I created a bootable USB containing 16.04.4 LTS and installation was going great until the end when I got hit with an error message
grub-efi-amd64 package failed to install... - I repeated above and obtained same error however in doing so I added another partition to my disk resulting in 2 copies of 16.04.4 getting written.
- I have checked some answers and tried some stuff to resolve without success
- Booted from USB and ran try Ubuntu & installed/ran boot_repair and generated a boot-info file
- I then tried to run Gparted to remove the last installation of 16.04.4 - so deleted sda6 partition.
- Reran boot-repair to get boot-info
- The file has some comments about what needs done - looking for sanity check before I commit to running boot-repair in repair mode
I checked system BIOS settings and boot order defined for both UEFI & Legacy support / Legacy support enabled & secure boot disabled
If any other information is needed let me know.
boot grub2 partitioning uefi
boot grub2 partitioning uefi
edited Apr 4 at 15:24
Zanna
48k13119228
48k13119228
asked Mar 23 at 12:00
George Archer
66
66
add a comment |Â
add a comment |Â
1 Answer
1
active
oldest
votes
up vote
0
down vote
accepted
I tried a few more things
- Used Gparted to delete all partitions with 16.04.4 LTS
- Read that this issue could be resolved if I booted from CD, so burned a DVD and tried to install. As per USB all well except the same boot error messages.
- Repeated #1 above and then tried using USB boot and selected the option to update 12.04 to 16.04.4 - still got the boot error except this time system completely broke and I was unable to login.
- Final attempt was to go for the complete disk erase prior to install - this worked cleanly - so just need to perform a restore of information created using Aptik before I started to perform updates.
So it took a while but I think issues are now all resolved.
add a comment |Â
1 Answer
1
active
oldest
votes
1 Answer
1
active
oldest
votes
active
oldest
votes
active
oldest
votes
up vote
0
down vote
accepted
I tried a few more things
- Used Gparted to delete all partitions with 16.04.4 LTS
- Read that this issue could be resolved if I booted from CD, so burned a DVD and tried to install. As per USB all well except the same boot error messages.
- Repeated #1 above and then tried using USB boot and selected the option to update 12.04 to 16.04.4 - still got the boot error except this time system completely broke and I was unable to login.
- Final attempt was to go for the complete disk erase prior to install - this worked cleanly - so just need to perform a restore of information created using Aptik before I started to perform updates.
So it took a while but I think issues are now all resolved.
add a comment |Â
up vote
0
down vote
accepted
I tried a few more things
- Used Gparted to delete all partitions with 16.04.4 LTS
- Read that this issue could be resolved if I booted from CD, so burned a DVD and tried to install. As per USB all well except the same boot error messages.
- Repeated #1 above and then tried using USB boot and selected the option to update 12.04 to 16.04.4 - still got the boot error except this time system completely broke and I was unable to login.
- Final attempt was to go for the complete disk erase prior to install - this worked cleanly - so just need to perform a restore of information created using Aptik before I started to perform updates.
So it took a while but I think issues are now all resolved.
add a comment |Â
up vote
0
down vote
accepted
up vote
0
down vote
accepted
I tried a few more things
- Used Gparted to delete all partitions with 16.04.4 LTS
- Read that this issue could be resolved if I booted from CD, so burned a DVD and tried to install. As per USB all well except the same boot error messages.
- Repeated #1 above and then tried using USB boot and selected the option to update 12.04 to 16.04.4 - still got the boot error except this time system completely broke and I was unable to login.
- Final attempt was to go for the complete disk erase prior to install - this worked cleanly - so just need to perform a restore of information created using Aptik before I started to perform updates.
So it took a while but I think issues are now all resolved.
I tried a few more things
- Used Gparted to delete all partitions with 16.04.4 LTS
- Read that this issue could be resolved if I booted from CD, so burned a DVD and tried to install. As per USB all well except the same boot error messages.
- Repeated #1 above and then tried using USB boot and selected the option to update 12.04 to 16.04.4 - still got the boot error except this time system completely broke and I was unable to login.
- Final attempt was to go for the complete disk erase prior to install - this worked cleanly - so just need to perform a restore of information created using Aptik before I started to perform updates.
So it took a while but I think issues are now all resolved.
edited Apr 4 at 15:26
Zanna
48k13119228
48k13119228
answered Mar 31 at 15:55
George Archer
66
66
add a comment |Â
add a comment |Â
Sign up or log in
StackExchange.ready(function ()
StackExchange.helpers.onClickDraftSave('#login-link');
var $window = $(window),
onScroll = function(e)
var $elem = $('.new-login-left'),
docViewTop = $window.scrollTop(),
docViewBottom = docViewTop + $window.height(),
elemTop = $elem.offset().top,
elemBottom = elemTop + $elem.height();
if ((docViewTop elemBottom))
StackExchange.using('gps', function() StackExchange.gps.track('embedded_signup_form.view', location: 'question_page' ); );
$window.unbind('scroll', onScroll);
;
$window.on('scroll', onScroll);
);
Sign up using Google
Sign up using Facebook
Sign up using Email and Password
Post as a guest
StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1018529%2funable-to-install-latest-lts-grub2-install-issue%23new-answer', 'question_page');
);
Post as a guest
Sign up or log in
StackExchange.ready(function ()
StackExchange.helpers.onClickDraftSave('#login-link');
var $window = $(window),
onScroll = function(e)
var $elem = $('.new-login-left'),
docViewTop = $window.scrollTop(),
docViewBottom = docViewTop + $window.height(),
elemTop = $elem.offset().top,
elemBottom = elemTop + $elem.height();
if ((docViewTop elemBottom))
StackExchange.using('gps', function() StackExchange.gps.track('embedded_signup_form.view', location: 'question_page' ); );
$window.unbind('scroll', onScroll);
;
$window.on('scroll', onScroll);
);
Sign up using Google
Sign up using Facebook
Sign up using Email and Password
Post as a guest
Sign up or log in
StackExchange.ready(function ()
StackExchange.helpers.onClickDraftSave('#login-link');
var $window = $(window),
onScroll = function(e)
var $elem = $('.new-login-left'),
docViewTop = $window.scrollTop(),
docViewBottom = docViewTop + $window.height(),
elemTop = $elem.offset().top,
elemBottom = elemTop + $elem.height();
if ((docViewTop elemBottom))
StackExchange.using('gps', function() StackExchange.gps.track('embedded_signup_form.view', location: 'question_page' ); );
$window.unbind('scroll', onScroll);
;
$window.on('scroll', onScroll);
);
Sign up using Google
Sign up using Facebook
Sign up using Email and Password
Post as a guest
Sign up or log in
StackExchange.ready(function ()
StackExchange.helpers.onClickDraftSave('#login-link');
var $window = $(window),
onScroll = function(e)
var $elem = $('.new-login-left'),
docViewTop = $window.scrollTop(),
docViewBottom = docViewTop + $window.height(),
elemTop = $elem.offset().top,
elemBottom = elemTop + $elem.height();
if ((docViewTop elemBottom))
StackExchange.using('gps', function() StackExchange.gps.track('embedded_signup_form.view', location: 'question_page' ); );
$window.unbind('scroll', onScroll);
;
$window.on('scroll', onScroll);
);
Sign up using Google
Sign up using Facebook
Sign up using Email and Password
Sign up using Google
Sign up using Facebook
Sign up using Email and Password