Join two network interfaces using the same port

Clash Royale CLAN TAG#URR8PPP up vote
0
down vote
favorite
I have 2 hosts
- one with two network interfaces:
10.0.0.1and172.0.0.1 - second with one network interface :
172.0.0.2
the two hosts are connected to each other using the 172.0.0.0
The first host expose one port via the 10.0.0.1 interface let's say 8088
I want the second host to connect to this port without using routing or ip forwarding let's say when I do 172.0.0.1:8088 I automatically get the 10.0.0.1:8088.
How can I do this?
the 10.0.0.1:8088 is a http protocol.
Thank you.
Update
I am very sorry maybe I didn't explaine well my problem.
I have a HTTP service listening only on 10.0.0.1:8088(network interface) so when I do localhost:8088 or 172.0.0.1:8088 it doesn't work.
now I want to open a new port on the 172.0.0.1 interface that expose the same content as 10.0.0.1:8088 without changing the HTTP service configuration.
the idea behind this is to be able to use 172.0.0.1:8088 same as 10.0.0.1:8088 without changing the HTTP server configuration.
ifconfig
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 02:42:0a:00:00:02
inet addr:10.0.0.1 Bcast:0.0.0.0 Mask:255.255.255.0
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1450 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)
eth1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 02:42:ac:12:00:02
inet addr:172.0.0.1 Bcast:0.0.0.0 Mask:255.255.0.0
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:187 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:137 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:193840 (193.8 KB) TX bytes:11435 (11.4 KB)
lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:65536 Metric:1
RX packets:2 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:2 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1
RX bytes:192 (192.0 B) TX bytes:192 (192.0 B)
netstat -tulpn
Active Internet connections (only servers)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address Foreign Address State PID/Program name
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:50070 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 197/java
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:22 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 30/sshd
tcp 0 0 10.0.0.1:8088 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 598/java
tcp 0 0 10.0.0.1:8030 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 598/java
tcp 0 0 10.0.0.1:8031 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 598/java
tcp 0 0 10.0.0.1:8032 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 598/java
tcp 0 0 10.0.0.1:8033 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 598/java
tcp 0 0 127.0.0.11:43077 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN -
tcp 0 0 10.0.0.1:9000 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 197/java
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:50090 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 414/java
tcp6 0 0 :::22 :::* LISTEN 30/sshd
udp 0 0 127.0.0.11:35495 0.0.0.0:* -
networking server network-manager
 |Â
show 3 more comments
up vote
0
down vote
favorite
I have 2 hosts
- one with two network interfaces:
10.0.0.1and172.0.0.1 - second with one network interface :
172.0.0.2
the two hosts are connected to each other using the 172.0.0.0
The first host expose one port via the 10.0.0.1 interface let's say 8088
I want the second host to connect to this port without using routing or ip forwarding let's say when I do 172.0.0.1:8088 I automatically get the 10.0.0.1:8088.
How can I do this?
the 10.0.0.1:8088 is a http protocol.
Thank you.
Update
I am very sorry maybe I didn't explaine well my problem.
I have a HTTP service listening only on 10.0.0.1:8088(network interface) so when I do localhost:8088 or 172.0.0.1:8088 it doesn't work.
now I want to open a new port on the 172.0.0.1 interface that expose the same content as 10.0.0.1:8088 without changing the HTTP service configuration.
the idea behind this is to be able to use 172.0.0.1:8088 same as 10.0.0.1:8088 without changing the HTTP server configuration.
ifconfig
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 02:42:0a:00:00:02
inet addr:10.0.0.1 Bcast:0.0.0.0 Mask:255.255.255.0
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1450 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)
eth1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 02:42:ac:12:00:02
inet addr:172.0.0.1 Bcast:0.0.0.0 Mask:255.255.0.0
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:187 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:137 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:193840 (193.8 KB) TX bytes:11435 (11.4 KB)
lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:65536 Metric:1
RX packets:2 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:2 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1
RX bytes:192 (192.0 B) TX bytes:192 (192.0 B)
netstat -tulpn
Active Internet connections (only servers)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address Foreign Address State PID/Program name
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:50070 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 197/java
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:22 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 30/sshd
tcp 0 0 10.0.0.1:8088 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 598/java
tcp 0 0 10.0.0.1:8030 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 598/java
tcp 0 0 10.0.0.1:8031 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 598/java
tcp 0 0 10.0.0.1:8032 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 598/java
tcp 0 0 10.0.0.1:8033 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 598/java
tcp 0 0 127.0.0.11:43077 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN -
tcp 0 0 10.0.0.1:9000 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 197/java
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:50090 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 414/java
tcp6 0 0 :::22 :::* LISTEN 30/sshd
udp 0 0 127.0.0.11:35495 0.0.0.0:* -
networking server network-manager
172.0.0.1 and 172.0.0.2 are both public IP ranges. 10.0.0.0/8 is a private IP range. They don't communicate properly with each other without some chaotic routing rules.
â Thomas Wardâ¦
Mar 23 at 17:21
DO me a favor though, on the system with 10.0.0.1, check netstat -tulpn and add the output to your question as an edit.
â Thomas Wardâ¦
Mar 23 at 17:24
I am not looking to communicate them with each other. I only want to expose a port via the second interface without touching the configuration of the service that expose 8088 port.
â Mohamed Amine Ouali
Mar 23 at 17:25
1
check my second comment, I"m asking you to provide information about the port / IP bindings on the system that has both 172.0.0.1 and 10.0.0.1 on it. Also, do me a favor, and explain what you mean by "When I do 172.0.0.1:8088 I automatically get the 10.0.0.1:8088" - are you saying that whether you access it from 10.0.0.x or 172.0.0.1 on port 8088 you want it to show the same content?
â Thomas Wardâ¦
Mar 23 at 17:26
So I want to expose 10.0.0.1:8088 to 172.0.0.1:port without changing the config of the service listening on 10.0.0.1:8088
â Mohamed Amine Ouali
Mar 23 at 17:59
 |Â
show 3 more comments
up vote
0
down vote
favorite
up vote
0
down vote
favorite
I have 2 hosts
- one with two network interfaces:
10.0.0.1and172.0.0.1 - second with one network interface :
172.0.0.2
the two hosts are connected to each other using the 172.0.0.0
The first host expose one port via the 10.0.0.1 interface let's say 8088
I want the second host to connect to this port without using routing or ip forwarding let's say when I do 172.0.0.1:8088 I automatically get the 10.0.0.1:8088.
How can I do this?
the 10.0.0.1:8088 is a http protocol.
Thank you.
Update
I am very sorry maybe I didn't explaine well my problem.
I have a HTTP service listening only on 10.0.0.1:8088(network interface) so when I do localhost:8088 or 172.0.0.1:8088 it doesn't work.
now I want to open a new port on the 172.0.0.1 interface that expose the same content as 10.0.0.1:8088 without changing the HTTP service configuration.
the idea behind this is to be able to use 172.0.0.1:8088 same as 10.0.0.1:8088 without changing the HTTP server configuration.
ifconfig
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 02:42:0a:00:00:02
inet addr:10.0.0.1 Bcast:0.0.0.0 Mask:255.255.255.0
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1450 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)
eth1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 02:42:ac:12:00:02
inet addr:172.0.0.1 Bcast:0.0.0.0 Mask:255.255.0.0
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:187 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:137 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:193840 (193.8 KB) TX bytes:11435 (11.4 KB)
lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:65536 Metric:1
RX packets:2 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:2 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1
RX bytes:192 (192.0 B) TX bytes:192 (192.0 B)
netstat -tulpn
Active Internet connections (only servers)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address Foreign Address State PID/Program name
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:50070 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 197/java
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:22 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 30/sshd
tcp 0 0 10.0.0.1:8088 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 598/java
tcp 0 0 10.0.0.1:8030 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 598/java
tcp 0 0 10.0.0.1:8031 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 598/java
tcp 0 0 10.0.0.1:8032 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 598/java
tcp 0 0 10.0.0.1:8033 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 598/java
tcp 0 0 127.0.0.11:43077 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN -
tcp 0 0 10.0.0.1:9000 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 197/java
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:50090 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 414/java
tcp6 0 0 :::22 :::* LISTEN 30/sshd
udp 0 0 127.0.0.11:35495 0.0.0.0:* -
networking server network-manager
I have 2 hosts
- one with two network interfaces:
10.0.0.1and172.0.0.1 - second with one network interface :
172.0.0.2
the two hosts are connected to each other using the 172.0.0.0
The first host expose one port via the 10.0.0.1 interface let's say 8088
I want the second host to connect to this port without using routing or ip forwarding let's say when I do 172.0.0.1:8088 I automatically get the 10.0.0.1:8088.
How can I do this?
the 10.0.0.1:8088 is a http protocol.
Thank you.
Update
I am very sorry maybe I didn't explaine well my problem.
I have a HTTP service listening only on 10.0.0.1:8088(network interface) so when I do localhost:8088 or 172.0.0.1:8088 it doesn't work.
now I want to open a new port on the 172.0.0.1 interface that expose the same content as 10.0.0.1:8088 without changing the HTTP service configuration.
the idea behind this is to be able to use 172.0.0.1:8088 same as 10.0.0.1:8088 without changing the HTTP server configuration.
ifconfig
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 02:42:0a:00:00:02
inet addr:10.0.0.1 Bcast:0.0.0.0 Mask:255.255.255.0
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1450 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)
eth1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 02:42:ac:12:00:02
inet addr:172.0.0.1 Bcast:0.0.0.0 Mask:255.255.0.0
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:187 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:137 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:193840 (193.8 KB) TX bytes:11435 (11.4 KB)
lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:65536 Metric:1
RX packets:2 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:2 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1
RX bytes:192 (192.0 B) TX bytes:192 (192.0 B)
netstat -tulpn
Active Internet connections (only servers)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address Foreign Address State PID/Program name
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:50070 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 197/java
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:22 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 30/sshd
tcp 0 0 10.0.0.1:8088 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 598/java
tcp 0 0 10.0.0.1:8030 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 598/java
tcp 0 0 10.0.0.1:8031 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 598/java
tcp 0 0 10.0.0.1:8032 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 598/java
tcp 0 0 10.0.0.1:8033 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 598/java
tcp 0 0 127.0.0.11:43077 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN -
tcp 0 0 10.0.0.1:9000 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 197/java
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:50090 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 414/java
tcp6 0 0 :::22 :::* LISTEN 30/sshd
udp 0 0 127.0.0.11:35495 0.0.0.0:* -
networking server network-manager
networking server network-manager
edited Mar 23 at 18:01
asked Mar 23 at 17:13
Mohamed Amine Ouali
32
32
172.0.0.1 and 172.0.0.2 are both public IP ranges. 10.0.0.0/8 is a private IP range. They don't communicate properly with each other without some chaotic routing rules.
â Thomas Wardâ¦
Mar 23 at 17:21
DO me a favor though, on the system with 10.0.0.1, check netstat -tulpn and add the output to your question as an edit.
â Thomas Wardâ¦
Mar 23 at 17:24
I am not looking to communicate them with each other. I only want to expose a port via the second interface without touching the configuration of the service that expose 8088 port.
â Mohamed Amine Ouali
Mar 23 at 17:25
1
check my second comment, I"m asking you to provide information about the port / IP bindings on the system that has both 172.0.0.1 and 10.0.0.1 on it. Also, do me a favor, and explain what you mean by "When I do 172.0.0.1:8088 I automatically get the 10.0.0.1:8088" - are you saying that whether you access it from 10.0.0.x or 172.0.0.1 on port 8088 you want it to show the same content?
â Thomas Wardâ¦
Mar 23 at 17:26
So I want to expose 10.0.0.1:8088 to 172.0.0.1:port without changing the config of the service listening on 10.0.0.1:8088
â Mohamed Amine Ouali
Mar 23 at 17:59
 |Â
show 3 more comments
172.0.0.1 and 172.0.0.2 are both public IP ranges. 10.0.0.0/8 is a private IP range. They don't communicate properly with each other without some chaotic routing rules.
â Thomas Wardâ¦
Mar 23 at 17:21
DO me a favor though, on the system with 10.0.0.1, check netstat -tulpn and add the output to your question as an edit.
â Thomas Wardâ¦
Mar 23 at 17:24
I am not looking to communicate them with each other. I only want to expose a port via the second interface without touching the configuration of the service that expose 8088 port.
â Mohamed Amine Ouali
Mar 23 at 17:25
1
check my second comment, I"m asking you to provide information about the port / IP bindings on the system that has both 172.0.0.1 and 10.0.0.1 on it. Also, do me a favor, and explain what you mean by "When I do 172.0.0.1:8088 I automatically get the 10.0.0.1:8088" - are you saying that whether you access it from 10.0.0.x or 172.0.0.1 on port 8088 you want it to show the same content?
â Thomas Wardâ¦
Mar 23 at 17:26
So I want to expose 10.0.0.1:8088 to 172.0.0.1:port without changing the config of the service listening on 10.0.0.1:8088
â Mohamed Amine Ouali
Mar 23 at 17:59
172.0.0.1 and 172.0.0.2 are both public IP ranges. 10.0.0.0/8 is a private IP range. They don't communicate properly with each other without some chaotic routing rules.
â Thomas Wardâ¦
Mar 23 at 17:21
172.0.0.1 and 172.0.0.2 are both public IP ranges. 10.0.0.0/8 is a private IP range. They don't communicate properly with each other without some chaotic routing rules.
â Thomas Wardâ¦
Mar 23 at 17:21
DO me a favor though, on the system with 10.0.0.1, check netstat -tulpn and add the output to your question as an edit.
â Thomas Wardâ¦
Mar 23 at 17:24
DO me a favor though, on the system with 10.0.0.1, check netstat -tulpn and add the output to your question as an edit.
â Thomas Wardâ¦
Mar 23 at 17:24
I am not looking to communicate them with each other. I only want to expose a port via the second interface without touching the configuration of the service that expose 8088 port.
â Mohamed Amine Ouali
Mar 23 at 17:25
I am not looking to communicate them with each other. I only want to expose a port via the second interface without touching the configuration of the service that expose 8088 port.
â Mohamed Amine Ouali
Mar 23 at 17:25
1
1
check my second comment, I"m asking you to provide information about the port / IP bindings on the system that has both 172.0.0.1 and 10.0.0.1 on it. Also, do me a favor, and explain what you mean by "When I do 172.0.0.1:8088 I automatically get the 10.0.0.1:8088" - are you saying that whether you access it from 10.0.0.x or 172.0.0.1 on port 8088 you want it to show the same content?
â Thomas Wardâ¦
Mar 23 at 17:26
check my second comment, I"m asking you to provide information about the port / IP bindings on the system that has both 172.0.0.1 and 10.0.0.1 on it. Also, do me a favor, and explain what you mean by "When I do 172.0.0.1:8088 I automatically get the 10.0.0.1:8088" - are you saying that whether you access it from 10.0.0.x or 172.0.0.1 on port 8088 you want it to show the same content?
â Thomas Wardâ¦
Mar 23 at 17:26
So I want to expose 10.0.0.1:8088 to 172.0.0.1:port without changing the config of the service listening on 10.0.0.1:8088
â Mohamed Amine Ouali
Mar 23 at 17:59
So I want to expose 10.0.0.1:8088 to 172.0.0.1:port without changing the config of the service listening on 10.0.0.1:8088
â Mohamed Amine Ouali
Mar 23 at 17:59
 |Â
show 3 more comments
1 Answer
1
active
oldest
votes
up vote
0
down vote
accepted
Specifically for the service you're discussing here listening on port 8080, it speaks HTTP. Further, it's only running on 10.0.0.1:8088.
We can configure nginx, which is a web server software, to work on the IP and port binding of 172.0.0.1:8088.
First, install nginx: sudo apt-get install nginx
Once installed, shut down the NGINX service by running: sudo systemctl stop nginx or sudo service nginx stop.
Remove the default configuration file from NGINX's startup config:
sudo rm /etc/nginx/sites-enabled/default
Create a configuration file at /etc/nginx/sites-available named "8088_reverse_proxy" or whatever name you want to give this configuration file, so you know what it does. Once you've created the file, put the following text into the configuration file:
server
listen 172.0.0.1:8088;
server_name 172.0.0.1;
location /
proxy_set_header X-Forwarded-For $proxy_add_x_forwarded_for;
proxy_pass http://10.0.0.1:8088;
proxy_intercept_errors on;
Save the file once you've entered this.
Then, make a symlink to this configuration file in /etc/nginx/sites-enabled:
sudo ln -s /etc/nginx/sites-available/[FILENAME] /etc/nginx/sites-enabled/
... making sure to replace [FILENAME] with the exact filename you chose for the configuration file.
Then, start the nginx service once this is done with either sudo service nginx start or sudo systemctl start nginx.
You should then, from any other computer on the 172.0.0.X subnet, or anywhere if this is an Internet address, be able to access the service on 172.0.0.1:8088 by typing http://172.0.0.1:8088 into the address bar for the other system.
add a comment |Â
1 Answer
1
active
oldest
votes
1 Answer
1
active
oldest
votes
active
oldest
votes
active
oldest
votes
up vote
0
down vote
accepted
Specifically for the service you're discussing here listening on port 8080, it speaks HTTP. Further, it's only running on 10.0.0.1:8088.
We can configure nginx, which is a web server software, to work on the IP and port binding of 172.0.0.1:8088.
First, install nginx: sudo apt-get install nginx
Once installed, shut down the NGINX service by running: sudo systemctl stop nginx or sudo service nginx stop.
Remove the default configuration file from NGINX's startup config:
sudo rm /etc/nginx/sites-enabled/default
Create a configuration file at /etc/nginx/sites-available named "8088_reverse_proxy" or whatever name you want to give this configuration file, so you know what it does. Once you've created the file, put the following text into the configuration file:
server
listen 172.0.0.1:8088;
server_name 172.0.0.1;
location /
proxy_set_header X-Forwarded-For $proxy_add_x_forwarded_for;
proxy_pass http://10.0.0.1:8088;
proxy_intercept_errors on;
Save the file once you've entered this.
Then, make a symlink to this configuration file in /etc/nginx/sites-enabled:
sudo ln -s /etc/nginx/sites-available/[FILENAME] /etc/nginx/sites-enabled/
... making sure to replace [FILENAME] with the exact filename you chose for the configuration file.
Then, start the nginx service once this is done with either sudo service nginx start or sudo systemctl start nginx.
You should then, from any other computer on the 172.0.0.X subnet, or anywhere if this is an Internet address, be able to access the service on 172.0.0.1:8088 by typing http://172.0.0.1:8088 into the address bar for the other system.
add a comment |Â
up vote
0
down vote
accepted
Specifically for the service you're discussing here listening on port 8080, it speaks HTTP. Further, it's only running on 10.0.0.1:8088.
We can configure nginx, which is a web server software, to work on the IP and port binding of 172.0.0.1:8088.
First, install nginx: sudo apt-get install nginx
Once installed, shut down the NGINX service by running: sudo systemctl stop nginx or sudo service nginx stop.
Remove the default configuration file from NGINX's startup config:
sudo rm /etc/nginx/sites-enabled/default
Create a configuration file at /etc/nginx/sites-available named "8088_reverse_proxy" or whatever name you want to give this configuration file, so you know what it does. Once you've created the file, put the following text into the configuration file:
server
listen 172.0.0.1:8088;
server_name 172.0.0.1;
location /
proxy_set_header X-Forwarded-For $proxy_add_x_forwarded_for;
proxy_pass http://10.0.0.1:8088;
proxy_intercept_errors on;
Save the file once you've entered this.
Then, make a symlink to this configuration file in /etc/nginx/sites-enabled:
sudo ln -s /etc/nginx/sites-available/[FILENAME] /etc/nginx/sites-enabled/
... making sure to replace [FILENAME] with the exact filename you chose for the configuration file.
Then, start the nginx service once this is done with either sudo service nginx start or sudo systemctl start nginx.
You should then, from any other computer on the 172.0.0.X subnet, or anywhere if this is an Internet address, be able to access the service on 172.0.0.1:8088 by typing http://172.0.0.1:8088 into the address bar for the other system.
add a comment |Â
up vote
0
down vote
accepted
up vote
0
down vote
accepted
Specifically for the service you're discussing here listening on port 8080, it speaks HTTP. Further, it's only running on 10.0.0.1:8088.
We can configure nginx, which is a web server software, to work on the IP and port binding of 172.0.0.1:8088.
First, install nginx: sudo apt-get install nginx
Once installed, shut down the NGINX service by running: sudo systemctl stop nginx or sudo service nginx stop.
Remove the default configuration file from NGINX's startup config:
sudo rm /etc/nginx/sites-enabled/default
Create a configuration file at /etc/nginx/sites-available named "8088_reverse_proxy" or whatever name you want to give this configuration file, so you know what it does. Once you've created the file, put the following text into the configuration file:
server
listen 172.0.0.1:8088;
server_name 172.0.0.1;
location /
proxy_set_header X-Forwarded-For $proxy_add_x_forwarded_for;
proxy_pass http://10.0.0.1:8088;
proxy_intercept_errors on;
Save the file once you've entered this.
Then, make a symlink to this configuration file in /etc/nginx/sites-enabled:
sudo ln -s /etc/nginx/sites-available/[FILENAME] /etc/nginx/sites-enabled/
... making sure to replace [FILENAME] with the exact filename you chose for the configuration file.
Then, start the nginx service once this is done with either sudo service nginx start or sudo systemctl start nginx.
You should then, from any other computer on the 172.0.0.X subnet, or anywhere if this is an Internet address, be able to access the service on 172.0.0.1:8088 by typing http://172.0.0.1:8088 into the address bar for the other system.
Specifically for the service you're discussing here listening on port 8080, it speaks HTTP. Further, it's only running on 10.0.0.1:8088.
We can configure nginx, which is a web server software, to work on the IP and port binding of 172.0.0.1:8088.
First, install nginx: sudo apt-get install nginx
Once installed, shut down the NGINX service by running: sudo systemctl stop nginx or sudo service nginx stop.
Remove the default configuration file from NGINX's startup config:
sudo rm /etc/nginx/sites-enabled/default
Create a configuration file at /etc/nginx/sites-available named "8088_reverse_proxy" or whatever name you want to give this configuration file, so you know what it does. Once you've created the file, put the following text into the configuration file:
server
listen 172.0.0.1:8088;
server_name 172.0.0.1;
location /
proxy_set_header X-Forwarded-For $proxy_add_x_forwarded_for;
proxy_pass http://10.0.0.1:8088;
proxy_intercept_errors on;
Save the file once you've entered this.
Then, make a symlink to this configuration file in /etc/nginx/sites-enabled:
sudo ln -s /etc/nginx/sites-available/[FILENAME] /etc/nginx/sites-enabled/
... making sure to replace [FILENAME] with the exact filename you chose for the configuration file.
Then, start the nginx service once this is done with either sudo service nginx start or sudo systemctl start nginx.
You should then, from any other computer on the 172.0.0.X subnet, or anywhere if this is an Internet address, be able to access the service on 172.0.0.1:8088 by typing http://172.0.0.1:8088 into the address bar for the other system.
answered Mar 23 at 18:37
Thomas Wardâ¦
41.5k23112166
41.5k23112166
add a comment |Â
add a comment |Â
Sign up or log in
StackExchange.ready(function ()
StackExchange.helpers.onClickDraftSave('#login-link');
var $window = $(window),
onScroll = function(e)
var $elem = $('.new-login-left'),
docViewTop = $window.scrollTop(),
docViewBottom = docViewTop + $window.height(),
elemTop = $elem.offset().top,
elemBottom = elemTop + $elem.height();
if ((docViewTop elemBottom))
StackExchange.using('gps', function() StackExchange.gps.track('embedded_signup_form.view', location: 'question_page' ); );
$window.unbind('scroll', onScroll);
;
$window.on('scroll', onScroll);
);
Sign up using Google
Sign up using Facebook
Sign up using Email and Password
Post as a guest
StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1018641%2fjoin-two-network-interfaces-using-the-same-port%23new-answer', 'question_page');
);
Post as a guest
Sign up or log in
StackExchange.ready(function ()
StackExchange.helpers.onClickDraftSave('#login-link');
var $window = $(window),
onScroll = function(e)
var $elem = $('.new-login-left'),
docViewTop = $window.scrollTop(),
docViewBottom = docViewTop + $window.height(),
elemTop = $elem.offset().top,
elemBottom = elemTop + $elem.height();
if ((docViewTop elemBottom))
StackExchange.using('gps', function() StackExchange.gps.track('embedded_signup_form.view', location: 'question_page' ); );
$window.unbind('scroll', onScroll);
;
$window.on('scroll', onScroll);
);
Sign up using Google
Sign up using Facebook
Sign up using Email and Password
Post as a guest
Sign up or log in
StackExchange.ready(function ()
StackExchange.helpers.onClickDraftSave('#login-link');
var $window = $(window),
onScroll = function(e)
var $elem = $('.new-login-left'),
docViewTop = $window.scrollTop(),
docViewBottom = docViewTop + $window.height(),
elemTop = $elem.offset().top,
elemBottom = elemTop + $elem.height();
if ((docViewTop elemBottom))
StackExchange.using('gps', function() StackExchange.gps.track('embedded_signup_form.view', location: 'question_page' ); );
$window.unbind('scroll', onScroll);
;
$window.on('scroll', onScroll);
);
Sign up using Google
Sign up using Facebook
Sign up using Email and Password
Post as a guest
Sign up or log in
StackExchange.ready(function ()
StackExchange.helpers.onClickDraftSave('#login-link');
var $window = $(window),
onScroll = function(e)
var $elem = $('.new-login-left'),
docViewTop = $window.scrollTop(),
docViewBottom = docViewTop + $window.height(),
elemTop = $elem.offset().top,
elemBottom = elemTop + $elem.height();
if ((docViewTop elemBottom))
StackExchange.using('gps', function() StackExchange.gps.track('embedded_signup_form.view', location: 'question_page' ); );
$window.unbind('scroll', onScroll);
;
$window.on('scroll', onScroll);
);
Sign up using Google
Sign up using Facebook
Sign up using Email and Password
Sign up using Google
Sign up using Facebook
Sign up using Email and Password
172.0.0.1 and 172.0.0.2 are both public IP ranges. 10.0.0.0/8 is a private IP range. They don't communicate properly with each other without some chaotic routing rules.
â Thomas Wardâ¦
Mar 23 at 17:21
DO me a favor though, on the system with 10.0.0.1, check netstat -tulpn and add the output to your question as an edit.
â Thomas Wardâ¦
Mar 23 at 17:24
I am not looking to communicate them with each other. I only want to expose a port via the second interface without touching the configuration of the service that expose 8088 port.
â Mohamed Amine Ouali
Mar 23 at 17:25
1
check my second comment, I"m asking you to provide information about the port / IP bindings on the system that has both 172.0.0.1 and 10.0.0.1 on it. Also, do me a favor, and explain what you mean by "When I do 172.0.0.1:8088 I automatically get the 10.0.0.1:8088" - are you saying that whether you access it from 10.0.0.x or 172.0.0.1 on port 8088 you want it to show the same content?
â Thomas Wardâ¦
Mar 23 at 17:26
So I want to expose 10.0.0.1:8088 to 172.0.0.1:port without changing the config of the service listening on 10.0.0.1:8088
â Mohamed Amine Ouali
Mar 23 at 17:59