Install internet drivers on ubuntu 14.04

The name of the pictureThe name of the pictureThe name of the pictureClash Royale CLAN TAG#URR8PPP








up vote
0
down vote

favorite












For some reasons I had to install an old version of Ubuntu 14.04.5 LTS on a Dell T470s.



The problem is that it does not detect the drivers. Neither Wifi nor LAN.



lspci -n | egrep '0200|0280' | awk 'print$3'


gives:



8086:15d7
8086:24fd


A search on google gave me:



 vendor: 8086 ("Intel Corporation"), device: 15d7 ("Ethernet Connection (4) I219-LM")


which corresponds this link.



The only option for a Linux user is to compile the driver from:



23_1/PRO1000/LINUX/e1000e-3.4.0.2.tar.gz


I cannot build it on a fresh ubuntu with no build software on it. I tried building it on another laptop (16.04) and then copied the compiled files on a USB and followed the other instructions of the manual. When I reached the command



(sudo) modprobe e1000e


I received an error:



modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'e1000e': Exec format error


My problem is that I cannot do any of them:



  • using gcc, make etc. In case any driver is supposed to be compiled. Compiling on another computer fails too (The offline computer did not recognize the binary).


  • Using sudo apt-get install .... You know why.


  • Using apt-offline or any other program that requires installation for itself.


  • Copying deb files from an online computer. As ubuntu avoids downloading deb for a software which is already installed. (I will not uninstall anything from my 16.04 laptop. No second trouble please).


Is there still any chance of survival?










share|improve this question



























    up vote
    0
    down vote

    favorite












    For some reasons I had to install an old version of Ubuntu 14.04.5 LTS on a Dell T470s.



    The problem is that it does not detect the drivers. Neither Wifi nor LAN.



    lspci -n | egrep '0200|0280' | awk 'print$3'


    gives:



    8086:15d7
    8086:24fd


    A search on google gave me:



     vendor: 8086 ("Intel Corporation"), device: 15d7 ("Ethernet Connection (4) I219-LM")


    which corresponds this link.



    The only option for a Linux user is to compile the driver from:



    23_1/PRO1000/LINUX/e1000e-3.4.0.2.tar.gz


    I cannot build it on a fresh ubuntu with no build software on it. I tried building it on another laptop (16.04) and then copied the compiled files on a USB and followed the other instructions of the manual. When I reached the command



    (sudo) modprobe e1000e


    I received an error:



    modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'e1000e': Exec format error


    My problem is that I cannot do any of them:



    • using gcc, make etc. In case any driver is supposed to be compiled. Compiling on another computer fails too (The offline computer did not recognize the binary).


    • Using sudo apt-get install .... You know why.


    • Using apt-offline or any other program that requires installation for itself.


    • Copying deb files from an online computer. As ubuntu avoids downloading deb for a software which is already installed. (I will not uninstall anything from my 16.04 laptop. No second trouble please).


    Is there still any chance of survival?










    share|improve this question

























      up vote
      0
      down vote

      favorite









      up vote
      0
      down vote

      favorite











      For some reasons I had to install an old version of Ubuntu 14.04.5 LTS on a Dell T470s.



      The problem is that it does not detect the drivers. Neither Wifi nor LAN.



      lspci -n | egrep '0200|0280' | awk 'print$3'


      gives:



      8086:15d7
      8086:24fd


      A search on google gave me:



       vendor: 8086 ("Intel Corporation"), device: 15d7 ("Ethernet Connection (4) I219-LM")


      which corresponds this link.



      The only option for a Linux user is to compile the driver from:



      23_1/PRO1000/LINUX/e1000e-3.4.0.2.tar.gz


      I cannot build it on a fresh ubuntu with no build software on it. I tried building it on another laptop (16.04) and then copied the compiled files on a USB and followed the other instructions of the manual. When I reached the command



      (sudo) modprobe e1000e


      I received an error:



      modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'e1000e': Exec format error


      My problem is that I cannot do any of them:



      • using gcc, make etc. In case any driver is supposed to be compiled. Compiling on another computer fails too (The offline computer did not recognize the binary).


      • Using sudo apt-get install .... You know why.


      • Using apt-offline or any other program that requires installation for itself.


      • Copying deb files from an online computer. As ubuntu avoids downloading deb for a software which is already installed. (I will not uninstall anything from my 16.04 laptop. No second trouble please).


      Is there still any chance of survival?










      share|improve this question















      For some reasons I had to install an old version of Ubuntu 14.04.5 LTS on a Dell T470s.



      The problem is that it does not detect the drivers. Neither Wifi nor LAN.



      lspci -n | egrep '0200|0280' | awk 'print$3'


      gives:



      8086:15d7
      8086:24fd


      A search on google gave me:



       vendor: 8086 ("Intel Corporation"), device: 15d7 ("Ethernet Connection (4) I219-LM")


      which corresponds this link.



      The only option for a Linux user is to compile the driver from:



      23_1/PRO1000/LINUX/e1000e-3.4.0.2.tar.gz


      I cannot build it on a fresh ubuntu with no build software on it. I tried building it on another laptop (16.04) and then copied the compiled files on a USB and followed the other instructions of the manual. When I reached the command



      (sudo) modprobe e1000e


      I received an error:



      modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'e1000e': Exec format error


      My problem is that I cannot do any of them:



      • using gcc, make etc. In case any driver is supposed to be compiled. Compiling on another computer fails too (The offline computer did not recognize the binary).


      • Using sudo apt-get install .... You know why.


      • Using apt-offline or any other program that requires installation for itself.


      • Copying deb files from an online computer. As ubuntu avoids downloading deb for a software which is already installed. (I will not uninstall anything from my 16.04 laptop. No second trouble please).


      Is there still any chance of survival?







      14.04 networking drivers offline






      share|improve this question















      share|improve this question













      share|improve this question




      share|improve this question








      edited Mar 22 at 9:19

























      asked Mar 22 at 9:12









      ar2015

      163110




      163110

























          active

          oldest

          votes











          Your Answer







          StackExchange.ready(function()
          var channelOptions =
          tags: "".split(" "),
          id: "89"
          ;
          initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

          StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
          // Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
          if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
          StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
          createEditor();
          );

          else
          createEditor();

          );

          function createEditor()
          StackExchange.prepareEditor(
          heartbeatType: 'answer',
          convertImagesToLinks: true,
          noModals: false,
          showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
          reputationToPostImages: 10,
          bindNavPrevention: true,
          postfix: "",
          onDemand: true,
          discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
          ,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
          );



          );













           

          draft saved


          draft discarded


















          StackExchange.ready(
          function ()
          StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1018183%2finstall-internet-drivers-on-ubuntu-14-04%23new-answer', 'question_page');

          );

          Post as a guest



































          active

          oldest

          votes













          active

          oldest

          votes









          active

          oldest

          votes






          active

          oldest

          votes















           

          draft saved


          draft discarded















































           


          draft saved


          draft discarded














          StackExchange.ready(
          function ()
          StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1018183%2finstall-internet-drivers-on-ubuntu-14-04%23new-answer', 'question_page');

          );

          Post as a guest













































































          Popular posts from this blog

          Which professions warranted travel in Medieval times?

          How do so many people here on Academia.SE, and in general, afford lavish higher education programs?

          Trouble downloading packages list due to a “Hash sum mismatch” error