How to âreinstallâ the audio subsystem on kubuntu?

Clash Royale CLAN TAG#URR8PPP up vote
0
down vote
favorite
How do I reinstall the audio subsystem, or whatever it's called these days?
Running kubuntu 17.10 on an 2017-model i7 Intel NUC. The thing was running fine, even outputting audio through the monitor's speaker, until it no longer was. I cannot figure out what it was that I did that killed the audio, whether it was some apt upgrade or whether it was installing something else, but I have not been able to bring it back, and I really do not want to reinstall the entire workstation. Yes, I have backups, but it will still be annoying.
It's not a permissions issue; /dev/snd/* are all 660 and I'm in the right group (audio). Here is the output of lspci, aplay, and arecord. Everything seems good, yet no devices appear in the Multimedia tab of Settings, nor will vlc or any other audio or video player play any sound.
# lspci -v
00:1f.3 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation Device 9d71 (rev 21)
Subsystem: Intel Corporation Device 2068
Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx+
Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
Latency: 32, Cache Line Size: 64 bytes
Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 142
Region 0: Memory at dc340000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
Region 4: Memory at dc320000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 3
Flags: PMEClk- DSI- D1- D2- AuxCurrent=55mA PME(D0-,D1-,D2-,D3hot+,D3cold+)
Status: D0 NoSoftRst+ PME-Enable- DSel=0 DScale=0 PME-
Capabilities: [60] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
Address: 00000000fee004d8 Data: 0000
Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel
Kernel modules: snd_hda_intel, snd_soc_skl
$ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC283 Analog [ALC283 Analog]
Subdevices: 0/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 7: HDMI 1 [HDMI 1]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 8: HDMI 2 [HDMI 2]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 9: HDMI 3 [HDMI 3]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 10: HDMI 4 [HDMI 4]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
$ arecord -l | sed -e 's/^/ /'
**** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC283 Analog [ALC283 Analog]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
The output of alsa-info is huge, but I can post it if someone thinks it would help with the debugging
sound kubuntu pulseaudio alsa
add a comment |Â
up vote
0
down vote
favorite
How do I reinstall the audio subsystem, or whatever it's called these days?
Running kubuntu 17.10 on an 2017-model i7 Intel NUC. The thing was running fine, even outputting audio through the monitor's speaker, until it no longer was. I cannot figure out what it was that I did that killed the audio, whether it was some apt upgrade or whether it was installing something else, but I have not been able to bring it back, and I really do not want to reinstall the entire workstation. Yes, I have backups, but it will still be annoying.
It's not a permissions issue; /dev/snd/* are all 660 and I'm in the right group (audio). Here is the output of lspci, aplay, and arecord. Everything seems good, yet no devices appear in the Multimedia tab of Settings, nor will vlc or any other audio or video player play any sound.
# lspci -v
00:1f.3 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation Device 9d71 (rev 21)
Subsystem: Intel Corporation Device 2068
Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx+
Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
Latency: 32, Cache Line Size: 64 bytes
Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 142
Region 0: Memory at dc340000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
Region 4: Memory at dc320000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 3
Flags: PMEClk- DSI- D1- D2- AuxCurrent=55mA PME(D0-,D1-,D2-,D3hot+,D3cold+)
Status: D0 NoSoftRst+ PME-Enable- DSel=0 DScale=0 PME-
Capabilities: [60] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
Address: 00000000fee004d8 Data: 0000
Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel
Kernel modules: snd_hda_intel, snd_soc_skl
$ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC283 Analog [ALC283 Analog]
Subdevices: 0/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 7: HDMI 1 [HDMI 1]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 8: HDMI 2 [HDMI 2]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 9: HDMI 3 [HDMI 3]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 10: HDMI 4 [HDMI 4]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
$ arecord -l | sed -e 's/^/ /'
**** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC283 Analog [ALC283 Analog]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
The output of alsa-info is huge, but I can post it if someone thinks it would help with the debugging
sound kubuntu pulseaudio alsa
You could upload it usingpastebinitand post the link in your question.
â DK Bose
Mar 23 at 15:46
add a comment |Â
up vote
0
down vote
favorite
up vote
0
down vote
favorite
How do I reinstall the audio subsystem, or whatever it's called these days?
Running kubuntu 17.10 on an 2017-model i7 Intel NUC. The thing was running fine, even outputting audio through the monitor's speaker, until it no longer was. I cannot figure out what it was that I did that killed the audio, whether it was some apt upgrade or whether it was installing something else, but I have not been able to bring it back, and I really do not want to reinstall the entire workstation. Yes, I have backups, but it will still be annoying.
It's not a permissions issue; /dev/snd/* are all 660 and I'm in the right group (audio). Here is the output of lspci, aplay, and arecord. Everything seems good, yet no devices appear in the Multimedia tab of Settings, nor will vlc or any other audio or video player play any sound.
# lspci -v
00:1f.3 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation Device 9d71 (rev 21)
Subsystem: Intel Corporation Device 2068
Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx+
Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
Latency: 32, Cache Line Size: 64 bytes
Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 142
Region 0: Memory at dc340000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
Region 4: Memory at dc320000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 3
Flags: PMEClk- DSI- D1- D2- AuxCurrent=55mA PME(D0-,D1-,D2-,D3hot+,D3cold+)
Status: D0 NoSoftRst+ PME-Enable- DSel=0 DScale=0 PME-
Capabilities: [60] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
Address: 00000000fee004d8 Data: 0000
Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel
Kernel modules: snd_hda_intel, snd_soc_skl
$ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC283 Analog [ALC283 Analog]
Subdevices: 0/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 7: HDMI 1 [HDMI 1]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 8: HDMI 2 [HDMI 2]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 9: HDMI 3 [HDMI 3]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 10: HDMI 4 [HDMI 4]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
$ arecord -l | sed -e 's/^/ /'
**** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC283 Analog [ALC283 Analog]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
The output of alsa-info is huge, but I can post it if someone thinks it would help with the debugging
sound kubuntu pulseaudio alsa
How do I reinstall the audio subsystem, or whatever it's called these days?
Running kubuntu 17.10 on an 2017-model i7 Intel NUC. The thing was running fine, even outputting audio through the monitor's speaker, until it no longer was. I cannot figure out what it was that I did that killed the audio, whether it was some apt upgrade or whether it was installing something else, but I have not been able to bring it back, and I really do not want to reinstall the entire workstation. Yes, I have backups, but it will still be annoying.
It's not a permissions issue; /dev/snd/* are all 660 and I'm in the right group (audio). Here is the output of lspci, aplay, and arecord. Everything seems good, yet no devices appear in the Multimedia tab of Settings, nor will vlc or any other audio or video player play any sound.
# lspci -v
00:1f.3 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation Device 9d71 (rev 21)
Subsystem: Intel Corporation Device 2068
Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx+
Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
Latency: 32, Cache Line Size: 64 bytes
Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 142
Region 0: Memory at dc340000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
Region 4: Memory at dc320000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 3
Flags: PMEClk- DSI- D1- D2- AuxCurrent=55mA PME(D0-,D1-,D2-,D3hot+,D3cold+)
Status: D0 NoSoftRst+ PME-Enable- DSel=0 DScale=0 PME-
Capabilities: [60] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
Address: 00000000fee004d8 Data: 0000
Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel
Kernel modules: snd_hda_intel, snd_soc_skl
$ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC283 Analog [ALC283 Analog]
Subdevices: 0/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 7: HDMI 1 [HDMI 1]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 8: HDMI 2 [HDMI 2]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 9: HDMI 3 [HDMI 3]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 10: HDMI 4 [HDMI 4]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
$ arecord -l | sed -e 's/^/ /'
**** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC283 Analog [ALC283 Analog]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
The output of alsa-info is huge, but I can post it if someone thinks it would help with the debugging
sound kubuntu pulseaudio alsa
sound kubuntu pulseaudio alsa
asked Mar 23 at 15:34
JayEye
723315
723315
You could upload it usingpastebinitand post the link in your question.
â DK Bose
Mar 23 at 15:46
add a comment |Â
You could upload it usingpastebinitand post the link in your question.
â DK Bose
Mar 23 at 15:46
You could upload it using
pastebinit and post the link in your question.â DK Bose
Mar 23 at 15:46
You could upload it using
pastebinit and post the link in your question.â DK Bose
Mar 23 at 15:46
add a comment |Â
1 Answer
1
active
oldest
votes
up vote
0
down vote
Do you have any other programs running that use sound? I have one program that "steals" all of the audio subsytem and no other programs can play sound until I close that one program.
Almost all programs use sounds so think carefully about what else is running, especially background things.
add a comment |Â
1 Answer
1
active
oldest
votes
1 Answer
1
active
oldest
votes
active
oldest
votes
active
oldest
votes
up vote
0
down vote
Do you have any other programs running that use sound? I have one program that "steals" all of the audio subsytem and no other programs can play sound until I close that one program.
Almost all programs use sounds so think carefully about what else is running, especially background things.
add a comment |Â
up vote
0
down vote
Do you have any other programs running that use sound? I have one program that "steals" all of the audio subsytem and no other programs can play sound until I close that one program.
Almost all programs use sounds so think carefully about what else is running, especially background things.
add a comment |Â
up vote
0
down vote
up vote
0
down vote
Do you have any other programs running that use sound? I have one program that "steals" all of the audio subsytem and no other programs can play sound until I close that one program.
Almost all programs use sounds so think carefully about what else is running, especially background things.
Do you have any other programs running that use sound? I have one program that "steals" all of the audio subsytem and no other programs can play sound until I close that one program.
Almost all programs use sounds so think carefully about what else is running, especially background things.
answered Mar 23 at 23:38
rkeating
516119
516119
add a comment |Â
add a comment |Â
Sign up or log in
StackExchange.ready(function ()
StackExchange.helpers.onClickDraftSave('#login-link');
var $window = $(window),
onScroll = function(e)
var $elem = $('.new-login-left'),
docViewTop = $window.scrollTop(),
docViewBottom = docViewTop + $window.height(),
elemTop = $elem.offset().top,
elemBottom = elemTop + $elem.height();
if ((docViewTop elemBottom))
StackExchange.using('gps', function() StackExchange.gps.track('embedded_signup_form.view', location: 'question_page' ); );
$window.unbind('scroll', onScroll);
;
$window.on('scroll', onScroll);
);
Sign up using Google
Sign up using Facebook
Sign up using Email and Password
Post as a guest
StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1018597%2fhow-to-reinstall-the-audio-subsystem-on-kubuntu%23new-answer', 'question_page');
);
Post as a guest
Sign up or log in
StackExchange.ready(function ()
StackExchange.helpers.onClickDraftSave('#login-link');
var $window = $(window),
onScroll = function(e)
var $elem = $('.new-login-left'),
docViewTop = $window.scrollTop(),
docViewBottom = docViewTop + $window.height(),
elemTop = $elem.offset().top,
elemBottom = elemTop + $elem.height();
if ((docViewTop elemBottom))
StackExchange.using('gps', function() StackExchange.gps.track('embedded_signup_form.view', location: 'question_page' ); );
$window.unbind('scroll', onScroll);
;
$window.on('scroll', onScroll);
);
Sign up using Google
Sign up using Facebook
Sign up using Email and Password
Post as a guest
Sign up or log in
StackExchange.ready(function ()
StackExchange.helpers.onClickDraftSave('#login-link');
var $window = $(window),
onScroll = function(e)
var $elem = $('.new-login-left'),
docViewTop = $window.scrollTop(),
docViewBottom = docViewTop + $window.height(),
elemTop = $elem.offset().top,
elemBottom = elemTop + $elem.height();
if ((docViewTop elemBottom))
StackExchange.using('gps', function() StackExchange.gps.track('embedded_signup_form.view', location: 'question_page' ); );
$window.unbind('scroll', onScroll);
;
$window.on('scroll', onScroll);
);
Sign up using Google
Sign up using Facebook
Sign up using Email and Password
Post as a guest
Sign up or log in
StackExchange.ready(function ()
StackExchange.helpers.onClickDraftSave('#login-link');
var $window = $(window),
onScroll = function(e)
var $elem = $('.new-login-left'),
docViewTop = $window.scrollTop(),
docViewBottom = docViewTop + $window.height(),
elemTop = $elem.offset().top,
elemBottom = elemTop + $elem.height();
if ((docViewTop elemBottom))
StackExchange.using('gps', function() StackExchange.gps.track('embedded_signup_form.view', location: 'question_page' ); );
$window.unbind('scroll', onScroll);
;
$window.on('scroll', onScroll);
);
Sign up using Google
Sign up using Facebook
Sign up using Email and Password
Sign up using Google
Sign up using Facebook
Sign up using Email and Password
You could upload it using
pastebinitand post the link in your question.â DK Bose
Mar 23 at 15:46