Suspend/Resume Yields fuzzy screen

The name of the pictureThe name of the pictureThe name of the pictureClash Royale CLAN TAG#URR8PPP








up vote
4
down vote

favorite
2












On Ubuntu 18.04 with kernel 4.15.0-20-generic, I get the following screen when resuming from suspension:



enter image description here



I use default 390 driver for Nvidia shipped with Ubuntu:



[ 1.147280] nvidia: loading out-of-tree module taints kernel.
[ 1.147305] nvidia: module license 'NVIDIA' taints kernel.
[ 1.160605] nvidia: module verification failed: signature and/or required key missing - tainting kernel
[ 1.168552] nvidia-nvlink: Nvlink Core is being initialized, major device number 241
[ 1.175528] nvidia-modeset: Loading NVIDIA Kernel Mode Setting Driver for UNIX platforms 390.48 Wed Mar 21 23:48:34 PDT 2018
[ 1.176853] [drm] [nvidia-drm] [GPU ID 0x00000100] Loading driver
[ 1.176855] [drm] Initialized nvidia-drm 0.0.0 20160202 for 0000:01:00.0 on minor 1
[ 4.249931] nvidia-uvm: Loaded the UVM driver in 8 mode, major device number 240


I have the following hardware:



~$ lspci 
01:00.0 3D controller: NVIDIA Corporation GM107M [GeForce GTX 960M] (rev a2)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation HD Graphics 530 (rev 06)
...

~$ sudo lshw -c video
*-display
description: 3D controller
product: GM107M [GeForce GTX 960M]
vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
version: a2
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list rom
configuration: driver=nvidia latency=0
resources: irq:130 memory:de000000-deffffff memory:c0000000-cfffffff memory:d0000000-d1ffffff ioport:e000(size=128) memory:df000000-df07ffff
*-display
description: VGA compatible controller
product: HD Graphics 530
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 2
bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
version: 06
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pciexpress msi pm vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
configuration: driver=i915 latency=0
resources: irq:129 memory:dd000000-ddffffff memory:b0000000-bfffffff ioport:f000(size=64) memory:c0000-dffff


After the fuzzy screen appears, I can change volume with keyboard bindings and move the mouse around, but pretty much anything else doesn't work, so I have to reboot the system manually.



The location /var/crash/ does not contain anything interesting.



I did not have this issue with previous version of Ubuntu 16.04.



Q:



  • what is happening?

  • how do i fix this?


EDIT: I tested Ubuntu 17.10 + kernel 4.13.0-39-generic + nvidia384 + Gnome 3.26.2 and suspension/resume works without issues.







share|improve this question


























    up vote
    4
    down vote

    favorite
    2












    On Ubuntu 18.04 with kernel 4.15.0-20-generic, I get the following screen when resuming from suspension:



    enter image description here



    I use default 390 driver for Nvidia shipped with Ubuntu:



    [ 1.147280] nvidia: loading out-of-tree module taints kernel.
    [ 1.147305] nvidia: module license 'NVIDIA' taints kernel.
    [ 1.160605] nvidia: module verification failed: signature and/or required key missing - tainting kernel
    [ 1.168552] nvidia-nvlink: Nvlink Core is being initialized, major device number 241
    [ 1.175528] nvidia-modeset: Loading NVIDIA Kernel Mode Setting Driver for UNIX platforms 390.48 Wed Mar 21 23:48:34 PDT 2018
    [ 1.176853] [drm] [nvidia-drm] [GPU ID 0x00000100] Loading driver
    [ 1.176855] [drm] Initialized nvidia-drm 0.0.0 20160202 for 0000:01:00.0 on minor 1
    [ 4.249931] nvidia-uvm: Loaded the UVM driver in 8 mode, major device number 240


    I have the following hardware:



    ~$ lspci 
    01:00.0 3D controller: NVIDIA Corporation GM107M [GeForce GTX 960M] (rev a2)
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation HD Graphics 530 (rev 06)
    ...

    ~$ sudo lshw -c video
    *-display
    description: 3D controller
    product: GM107M [GeForce GTX 960M]
    vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
    physical id: 0
    bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
    version: a2
    width: 64 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list rom
    configuration: driver=nvidia latency=0
    resources: irq:130 memory:de000000-deffffff memory:c0000000-cfffffff memory:d0000000-d1ffffff ioport:e000(size=128) memory:df000000-df07ffff
    *-display
    description: VGA compatible controller
    product: HD Graphics 530
    vendor: Intel Corporation
    physical id: 2
    bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
    version: 06
    width: 64 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: pciexpress msi pm vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
    configuration: driver=i915 latency=0
    resources: irq:129 memory:dd000000-ddffffff memory:b0000000-bfffffff ioport:f000(size=64) memory:c0000-dffff


    After the fuzzy screen appears, I can change volume with keyboard bindings and move the mouse around, but pretty much anything else doesn't work, so I have to reboot the system manually.



    The location /var/crash/ does not contain anything interesting.



    I did not have this issue with previous version of Ubuntu 16.04.



    Q:



    • what is happening?

    • how do i fix this?


    EDIT: I tested Ubuntu 17.10 + kernel 4.13.0-39-generic + nvidia384 + Gnome 3.26.2 and suspension/resume works without issues.







    share|improve this question
























      up vote
      4
      down vote

      favorite
      2









      up vote
      4
      down vote

      favorite
      2






      2





      On Ubuntu 18.04 with kernel 4.15.0-20-generic, I get the following screen when resuming from suspension:



      enter image description here



      I use default 390 driver for Nvidia shipped with Ubuntu:



      [ 1.147280] nvidia: loading out-of-tree module taints kernel.
      [ 1.147305] nvidia: module license 'NVIDIA' taints kernel.
      [ 1.160605] nvidia: module verification failed: signature and/or required key missing - tainting kernel
      [ 1.168552] nvidia-nvlink: Nvlink Core is being initialized, major device number 241
      [ 1.175528] nvidia-modeset: Loading NVIDIA Kernel Mode Setting Driver for UNIX platforms 390.48 Wed Mar 21 23:48:34 PDT 2018
      [ 1.176853] [drm] [nvidia-drm] [GPU ID 0x00000100] Loading driver
      [ 1.176855] [drm] Initialized nvidia-drm 0.0.0 20160202 for 0000:01:00.0 on minor 1
      [ 4.249931] nvidia-uvm: Loaded the UVM driver in 8 mode, major device number 240


      I have the following hardware:



      ~$ lspci 
      01:00.0 3D controller: NVIDIA Corporation GM107M [GeForce GTX 960M] (rev a2)
      00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation HD Graphics 530 (rev 06)
      ...

      ~$ sudo lshw -c video
      *-display
      description: 3D controller
      product: GM107M [GeForce GTX 960M]
      vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
      physical id: 0
      bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
      version: a2
      width: 64 bits
      clock: 33MHz
      capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list rom
      configuration: driver=nvidia latency=0
      resources: irq:130 memory:de000000-deffffff memory:c0000000-cfffffff memory:d0000000-d1ffffff ioport:e000(size=128) memory:df000000-df07ffff
      *-display
      description: VGA compatible controller
      product: HD Graphics 530
      vendor: Intel Corporation
      physical id: 2
      bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
      version: 06
      width: 64 bits
      clock: 33MHz
      capabilities: pciexpress msi pm vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
      configuration: driver=i915 latency=0
      resources: irq:129 memory:dd000000-ddffffff memory:b0000000-bfffffff ioport:f000(size=64) memory:c0000-dffff


      After the fuzzy screen appears, I can change volume with keyboard bindings and move the mouse around, but pretty much anything else doesn't work, so I have to reboot the system manually.



      The location /var/crash/ does not contain anything interesting.



      I did not have this issue with previous version of Ubuntu 16.04.



      Q:



      • what is happening?

      • how do i fix this?


      EDIT: I tested Ubuntu 17.10 + kernel 4.13.0-39-generic + nvidia384 + Gnome 3.26.2 and suspension/resume works without issues.







      share|improve this question














      On Ubuntu 18.04 with kernel 4.15.0-20-generic, I get the following screen when resuming from suspension:



      enter image description here



      I use default 390 driver for Nvidia shipped with Ubuntu:



      [ 1.147280] nvidia: loading out-of-tree module taints kernel.
      [ 1.147305] nvidia: module license 'NVIDIA' taints kernel.
      [ 1.160605] nvidia: module verification failed: signature and/or required key missing - tainting kernel
      [ 1.168552] nvidia-nvlink: Nvlink Core is being initialized, major device number 241
      [ 1.175528] nvidia-modeset: Loading NVIDIA Kernel Mode Setting Driver for UNIX platforms 390.48 Wed Mar 21 23:48:34 PDT 2018
      [ 1.176853] [drm] [nvidia-drm] [GPU ID 0x00000100] Loading driver
      [ 1.176855] [drm] Initialized nvidia-drm 0.0.0 20160202 for 0000:01:00.0 on minor 1
      [ 4.249931] nvidia-uvm: Loaded the UVM driver in 8 mode, major device number 240


      I have the following hardware:



      ~$ lspci 
      01:00.0 3D controller: NVIDIA Corporation GM107M [GeForce GTX 960M] (rev a2)
      00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation HD Graphics 530 (rev 06)
      ...

      ~$ sudo lshw -c video
      *-display
      description: 3D controller
      product: GM107M [GeForce GTX 960M]
      vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
      physical id: 0
      bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
      version: a2
      width: 64 bits
      clock: 33MHz
      capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list rom
      configuration: driver=nvidia latency=0
      resources: irq:130 memory:de000000-deffffff memory:c0000000-cfffffff memory:d0000000-d1ffffff ioport:e000(size=128) memory:df000000-df07ffff
      *-display
      description: VGA compatible controller
      product: HD Graphics 530
      vendor: Intel Corporation
      physical id: 2
      bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
      version: 06
      width: 64 bits
      clock: 33MHz
      capabilities: pciexpress msi pm vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
      configuration: driver=i915 latency=0
      resources: irq:129 memory:dd000000-ddffffff memory:b0000000-bfffffff ioport:f000(size=64) memory:c0000-dffff


      After the fuzzy screen appears, I can change volume with keyboard bindings and move the mouse around, but pretty much anything else doesn't work, so I have to reboot the system manually.



      The location /var/crash/ does not contain anything interesting.



      I did not have this issue with previous version of Ubuntu 16.04.



      Q:



      • what is happening?

      • how do i fix this?


      EDIT: I tested Ubuntu 17.10 + kernel 4.13.0-39-generic + nvidia384 + Gnome 3.26.2 and suspension/resume works without issues.









      share|improve this question













      share|improve this question




      share|improve this question








      edited May 7 at 9:16

























      asked May 3 at 14:19









      Patrick Trentin

      156116




      156116

























          active

          oldest

          votes











          Your Answer







          StackExchange.ready(function()
          var channelOptions =
          tags: "".split(" "),
          id: "89"
          ;
          initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

          StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
          // Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
          if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
          StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
          createEditor();
          );

          else
          createEditor();

          );

          function createEditor()
          StackExchange.prepareEditor(
          heartbeatType: 'answer',
          convertImagesToLinks: true,
          noModals: false,
          showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
          reputationToPostImages: 10,
          bindNavPrevention: true,
          postfix: "",
          onDemand: true,
          discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
          ,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
          );



          );








           

          draft saved


          draft discarded


















          StackExchange.ready(
          function ()
          StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1031578%2fsuspend-resume-yields-fuzzy-screen%23new-answer', 'question_page');

          );

          Post as a guest



































          active

          oldest

          votes













          active

          oldest

          votes









          active

          oldest

          votes






          active

          oldest

          votes










           

          draft saved


          draft discarded


























           


          draft saved


          draft discarded














          StackExchange.ready(
          function ()
          StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1031578%2fsuspend-resume-yields-fuzzy-screen%23new-answer', 'question_page');

          );

          Post as a guest













































































          Popular posts from this blog

          Which professions warranted travel in Medieval times?

          How do so many people here on Academia.SE, and in general, afford lavish higher education programs?

          Trouble downloading packages list due to a “Hash sum mismatch” error