Horizontal bars on display

The name of the pictureThe name of the pictureThe name of the pictureClash Royale CLAN TAG#URR8PPP








up vote
0
down vote

favorite












Late last year I upgraded my desktop with an Asus GeForce 8800GTX board, and installed 2 displays. All was working fine for months, but late last year at start-up Ubuntu boots to horizontal white and black bars. No sign-on screen. I also upgraded to an AsRock AB350 board and Ryzen 3 1300X cpu. I attempted multiple fixes to Nvidia drivers from the forums without success. Will the Nvidia -Wayland conflict be corrected with Ubuntu 18.04?



At the moment I have reverted back to Windows until I am confident that Ubuntu (any flavor) will work with my current hardware configuration. Are there any other fixes I can do?







share|improve this question
















  • 1




    18.04 will be defaulting back to XOrg instead of Wayland but it will have both installed. Until then, have you tried using Ubuntu 17.10 with XOrg? See: askubuntu.com/questions/961304/…
    – Terrance
    Apr 21 at 3:00










  • My installation of 17.10 is not showing an Xorg option. I will hold for 18.04.
    – David Adams
    Apr 21 at 14:26














up vote
0
down vote

favorite












Late last year I upgraded my desktop with an Asus GeForce 8800GTX board, and installed 2 displays. All was working fine for months, but late last year at start-up Ubuntu boots to horizontal white and black bars. No sign-on screen. I also upgraded to an AsRock AB350 board and Ryzen 3 1300X cpu. I attempted multiple fixes to Nvidia drivers from the forums without success. Will the Nvidia -Wayland conflict be corrected with Ubuntu 18.04?



At the moment I have reverted back to Windows until I am confident that Ubuntu (any flavor) will work with my current hardware configuration. Are there any other fixes I can do?







share|improve this question
















  • 1




    18.04 will be defaulting back to XOrg instead of Wayland but it will have both installed. Until then, have you tried using Ubuntu 17.10 with XOrg? See: askubuntu.com/questions/961304/…
    – Terrance
    Apr 21 at 3:00










  • My installation of 17.10 is not showing an Xorg option. I will hold for 18.04.
    – David Adams
    Apr 21 at 14:26












up vote
0
down vote

favorite









up vote
0
down vote

favorite











Late last year I upgraded my desktop with an Asus GeForce 8800GTX board, and installed 2 displays. All was working fine for months, but late last year at start-up Ubuntu boots to horizontal white and black bars. No sign-on screen. I also upgraded to an AsRock AB350 board and Ryzen 3 1300X cpu. I attempted multiple fixes to Nvidia drivers from the forums without success. Will the Nvidia -Wayland conflict be corrected with Ubuntu 18.04?



At the moment I have reverted back to Windows until I am confident that Ubuntu (any flavor) will work with my current hardware configuration. Are there any other fixes I can do?







share|improve this question












Late last year I upgraded my desktop with an Asus GeForce 8800GTX board, and installed 2 displays. All was working fine for months, but late last year at start-up Ubuntu boots to horizontal white and black bars. No sign-on screen. I also upgraded to an AsRock AB350 board and Ryzen 3 1300X cpu. I attempted multiple fixes to Nvidia drivers from the forums without success. Will the Nvidia -Wayland conflict be corrected with Ubuntu 18.04?



At the moment I have reverted back to Windows until I am confident that Ubuntu (any flavor) will work with my current hardware configuration. Are there any other fixes I can do?









share|improve this question











share|improve this question




share|improve this question










asked Apr 21 at 2:04









David Adams

11




11







  • 1




    18.04 will be defaulting back to XOrg instead of Wayland but it will have both installed. Until then, have you tried using Ubuntu 17.10 with XOrg? See: askubuntu.com/questions/961304/…
    – Terrance
    Apr 21 at 3:00










  • My installation of 17.10 is not showing an Xorg option. I will hold for 18.04.
    – David Adams
    Apr 21 at 14:26












  • 1




    18.04 will be defaulting back to XOrg instead of Wayland but it will have both installed. Until then, have you tried using Ubuntu 17.10 with XOrg? See: askubuntu.com/questions/961304/…
    – Terrance
    Apr 21 at 3:00










  • My installation of 17.10 is not showing an Xorg option. I will hold for 18.04.
    – David Adams
    Apr 21 at 14:26







1




1




18.04 will be defaulting back to XOrg instead of Wayland but it will have both installed. Until then, have you tried using Ubuntu 17.10 with XOrg? See: askubuntu.com/questions/961304/…
– Terrance
Apr 21 at 3:00




18.04 will be defaulting back to XOrg instead of Wayland but it will have both installed. Until then, have you tried using Ubuntu 17.10 with XOrg? See: askubuntu.com/questions/961304/…
– Terrance
Apr 21 at 3:00












My installation of 17.10 is not showing an Xorg option. I will hold for 18.04.
– David Adams
Apr 21 at 14:26




My installation of 17.10 is not showing an Xorg option. I will hold for 18.04.
– David Adams
Apr 21 at 14:26















active

oldest

votes











Your Answer







StackExchange.ready(function()
var channelOptions =
tags: "".split(" "),
id: "89"
;
initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
// Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
createEditor();
);

else
createEditor();

);

function createEditor()
StackExchange.prepareEditor(
heartbeatType: 'answer',
convertImagesToLinks: true,
noModals: false,
showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
reputationToPostImages: 10,
bindNavPrevention: true,
postfix: "",
onDemand: true,
discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
);



);













 

draft saved


draft discarded


















StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1026829%2fhorizontal-bars-on-display%23new-answer', 'question_page');

);

Post as a guest



































active

oldest

votes













active

oldest

votes









active

oldest

votes






active

oldest

votes















 

draft saved


draft discarded















































 


draft saved


draft discarded














StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1026829%2fhorizontal-bars-on-display%23new-answer', 'question_page');

);

Post as a guest













































































Popular posts from this blog

Which professions warranted travel in Medieval times?

How do so many people here on Academia.SE, and in general, afford lavish higher education programs?

Trouble downloading packages list due to a “Hash sum mismatch” error