Cannot detect CD rom on Lubuntu 17.10.1

The name of the pictureThe name of the pictureThe name of the pictureClash Royale CLAN TAG#URR8PPP








up vote
0
down vote

favorite












I just loaded Lubunto 17.10.1. Cannot read CD rom. When I load the CD, can hear the typical sound of it running and then it stops. But there no pop of the CD directory. What should I do?







share|improve this question




















  • Is this a new install or upgrade?
    – George Udosen
    Apr 21 at 8:01










  • If you've correctly passed the cdrom device, you should be able to mount it like this.sudo -i mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom cd /mnt
    – Eranda Peiris
    Apr 21 at 8:04










  • You state "when I load the CD can hear the typical sound" which I gather is the spinning of the drive. This is done by hardware, and occurs on many drives if they just have power connected but aren't connected to a PC (if the drive won't spin reliably they spit disc out - its this check you're hearing). To use the cd/dvd you need to mount it (unless enabled as automatic). It's more secure to only mount devices when you authorize/direct it to. On my Ubuntu I just installed a dvdr & saw and heard it spin up, but I had to load a file.manager and select drive before I could view files on it.
    – guiverc
    Apr 21 at 9:06











  • Thanks all. Yes its a new install. Also I'm new to lubuntu, have only used windows and am a novice. I tried the command line and it gave an error. However I can view the CD in accessories-disk
    – Vinod Vasudevan
    Apr 21 at 13:32











  • Guys, its working now. I tried sudo mkdir -p /mnt/cdrom/ Also clicked mount partition in accessories--> disk for the dvd drive
    – Vinod Vasudevan
    Apr 21 at 13:58














up vote
0
down vote

favorite












I just loaded Lubunto 17.10.1. Cannot read CD rom. When I load the CD, can hear the typical sound of it running and then it stops. But there no pop of the CD directory. What should I do?







share|improve this question




















  • Is this a new install or upgrade?
    – George Udosen
    Apr 21 at 8:01










  • If you've correctly passed the cdrom device, you should be able to mount it like this.sudo -i mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom cd /mnt
    – Eranda Peiris
    Apr 21 at 8:04










  • You state "when I load the CD can hear the typical sound" which I gather is the spinning of the drive. This is done by hardware, and occurs on many drives if they just have power connected but aren't connected to a PC (if the drive won't spin reliably they spit disc out - its this check you're hearing). To use the cd/dvd you need to mount it (unless enabled as automatic). It's more secure to only mount devices when you authorize/direct it to. On my Ubuntu I just installed a dvdr & saw and heard it spin up, but I had to load a file.manager and select drive before I could view files on it.
    – guiverc
    Apr 21 at 9:06











  • Thanks all. Yes its a new install. Also I'm new to lubuntu, have only used windows and am a novice. I tried the command line and it gave an error. However I can view the CD in accessories-disk
    – Vinod Vasudevan
    Apr 21 at 13:32











  • Guys, its working now. I tried sudo mkdir -p /mnt/cdrom/ Also clicked mount partition in accessories--> disk for the dvd drive
    – Vinod Vasudevan
    Apr 21 at 13:58












up vote
0
down vote

favorite









up vote
0
down vote

favorite











I just loaded Lubunto 17.10.1. Cannot read CD rom. When I load the CD, can hear the typical sound of it running and then it stops. But there no pop of the CD directory. What should I do?







share|improve this question












I just loaded Lubunto 17.10.1. Cannot read CD rom. When I load the CD, can hear the typical sound of it running and then it stops. But there no pop of the CD directory. What should I do?









share|improve this question











share|improve this question




share|improve this question










asked Apr 21 at 6:55









Vinod Vasudevan

1




1











  • Is this a new install or upgrade?
    – George Udosen
    Apr 21 at 8:01










  • If you've correctly passed the cdrom device, you should be able to mount it like this.sudo -i mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom cd /mnt
    – Eranda Peiris
    Apr 21 at 8:04










  • You state "when I load the CD can hear the typical sound" which I gather is the spinning of the drive. This is done by hardware, and occurs on many drives if they just have power connected but aren't connected to a PC (if the drive won't spin reliably they spit disc out - its this check you're hearing). To use the cd/dvd you need to mount it (unless enabled as automatic). It's more secure to only mount devices when you authorize/direct it to. On my Ubuntu I just installed a dvdr & saw and heard it spin up, but I had to load a file.manager and select drive before I could view files on it.
    – guiverc
    Apr 21 at 9:06











  • Thanks all. Yes its a new install. Also I'm new to lubuntu, have only used windows and am a novice. I tried the command line and it gave an error. However I can view the CD in accessories-disk
    – Vinod Vasudevan
    Apr 21 at 13:32











  • Guys, its working now. I tried sudo mkdir -p /mnt/cdrom/ Also clicked mount partition in accessories--> disk for the dvd drive
    – Vinod Vasudevan
    Apr 21 at 13:58
















  • Is this a new install or upgrade?
    – George Udosen
    Apr 21 at 8:01










  • If you've correctly passed the cdrom device, you should be able to mount it like this.sudo -i mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom cd /mnt
    – Eranda Peiris
    Apr 21 at 8:04










  • You state "when I load the CD can hear the typical sound" which I gather is the spinning of the drive. This is done by hardware, and occurs on many drives if they just have power connected but aren't connected to a PC (if the drive won't spin reliably they spit disc out - its this check you're hearing). To use the cd/dvd you need to mount it (unless enabled as automatic). It's more secure to only mount devices when you authorize/direct it to. On my Ubuntu I just installed a dvdr & saw and heard it spin up, but I had to load a file.manager and select drive before I could view files on it.
    – guiverc
    Apr 21 at 9:06











  • Thanks all. Yes its a new install. Also I'm new to lubuntu, have only used windows and am a novice. I tried the command line and it gave an error. However I can view the CD in accessories-disk
    – Vinod Vasudevan
    Apr 21 at 13:32











  • Guys, its working now. I tried sudo mkdir -p /mnt/cdrom/ Also clicked mount partition in accessories--> disk for the dvd drive
    – Vinod Vasudevan
    Apr 21 at 13:58















Is this a new install or upgrade?
– George Udosen
Apr 21 at 8:01




Is this a new install or upgrade?
– George Udosen
Apr 21 at 8:01












If you've correctly passed the cdrom device, you should be able to mount it like this.sudo -i mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom cd /mnt
– Eranda Peiris
Apr 21 at 8:04




If you've correctly passed the cdrom device, you should be able to mount it like this.sudo -i mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom cd /mnt
– Eranda Peiris
Apr 21 at 8:04












You state "when I load the CD can hear the typical sound" which I gather is the spinning of the drive. This is done by hardware, and occurs on many drives if they just have power connected but aren't connected to a PC (if the drive won't spin reliably they spit disc out - its this check you're hearing). To use the cd/dvd you need to mount it (unless enabled as automatic). It's more secure to only mount devices when you authorize/direct it to. On my Ubuntu I just installed a dvdr & saw and heard it spin up, but I had to load a file.manager and select drive before I could view files on it.
– guiverc
Apr 21 at 9:06





You state "when I load the CD can hear the typical sound" which I gather is the spinning of the drive. This is done by hardware, and occurs on many drives if they just have power connected but aren't connected to a PC (if the drive won't spin reliably they spit disc out - its this check you're hearing). To use the cd/dvd you need to mount it (unless enabled as automatic). It's more secure to only mount devices when you authorize/direct it to. On my Ubuntu I just installed a dvdr & saw and heard it spin up, but I had to load a file.manager and select drive before I could view files on it.
– guiverc
Apr 21 at 9:06













Thanks all. Yes its a new install. Also I'm new to lubuntu, have only used windows and am a novice. I tried the command line and it gave an error. However I can view the CD in accessories-disk
– Vinod Vasudevan
Apr 21 at 13:32





Thanks all. Yes its a new install. Also I'm new to lubuntu, have only used windows and am a novice. I tried the command line and it gave an error. However I can view the CD in accessories-disk
– Vinod Vasudevan
Apr 21 at 13:32













Guys, its working now. I tried sudo mkdir -p /mnt/cdrom/ Also clicked mount partition in accessories--> disk for the dvd drive
– Vinod Vasudevan
Apr 21 at 13:58




Guys, its working now. I tried sudo mkdir -p /mnt/cdrom/ Also clicked mount partition in accessories--> disk for the dvd drive
– Vinod Vasudevan
Apr 21 at 13:58















active

oldest

votes











Your Answer







StackExchange.ready(function()
var channelOptions =
tags: "".split(" "),
id: "89"
;
initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
// Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
createEditor();
);

else
createEditor();

);

function createEditor()
StackExchange.prepareEditor(
heartbeatType: 'answer',
convertImagesToLinks: true,
noModals: false,
showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
reputationToPostImages: 10,
bindNavPrevention: true,
postfix: "",
onDemand: true,
discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
);



);













 

draft saved


draft discarded


















StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1026867%2fcannot-detect-cd-rom-on-lubuntu-17-10-1%23new-answer', 'question_page');

);

Post as a guest



































active

oldest

votes













active

oldest

votes









active

oldest

votes






active

oldest

votes















 

draft saved


draft discarded















































 


draft saved


draft discarded














StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1026867%2fcannot-detect-cd-rom-on-lubuntu-17-10-1%23new-answer', 'question_page');

);

Post as a guest













































































Popular posts from this blog

Which professions warranted travel in Medieval times?

How do so many people here on Academia.SE, and in general, afford lavish higher education programs?

Trouble downloading packages list due to a “Hash sum mismatch” error