Default vim usage in Ubuntu Bionic feels regressed from 17.10

The name of the pictureThe name of the pictureThe name of the pictureClash Royale CLAN TAG#URR8PPP








up vote
0
down vote

favorite












Using Ubuntu Bionic (server image pre-GA), coming from Centos 7 (i.e. this may not be limited to just Bionic), I find that the vim editor has some very annoying defaults. How can I disable the following;



  1. Auto-tab insertion in bash code when using if and pressing enter

  2. Search with '/' requires one to press enter to go back to editing mode and pressing something else - like cursor right - swaps back to the original location instead of the location where one is at.

Both these do not feel like standard/default vim







share|improve this question


















  • 1




    Ubuntu Development version / How to participate
    – sudodus
    Apr 21 at 5:43










  • @sudodus That's useful information in general, but if you're suggesting that this particular question should be closed this near to the release of 18.04, I don't think that's the case. Note that we do not actually regard all Ubuntu+1 questions as off-topic. I don't think this question is about a bug, and the behavior it is asking about is not going to change before the release.
    – Eliah Kagan
    Apr 21 at 10:45











  • @EliahKagan, I see your point, and I agree. (I did not vote for closing.)
    – sudodus
    Apr 21 at 15:25










  • I think this may be a bug or shortcoming in Bionic only, unrelated to VIM. ref discussion below. Also, does a feature freeze mean there are no more code changes, even if there are bugs?
    – Roel
    Apr 27 at 7:52















up vote
0
down vote

favorite












Using Ubuntu Bionic (server image pre-GA), coming from Centos 7 (i.e. this may not be limited to just Bionic), I find that the vim editor has some very annoying defaults. How can I disable the following;



  1. Auto-tab insertion in bash code when using if and pressing enter

  2. Search with '/' requires one to press enter to go back to editing mode and pressing something else - like cursor right - swaps back to the original location instead of the location where one is at.

Both these do not feel like standard/default vim







share|improve this question


















  • 1




    Ubuntu Development version / How to participate
    – sudodus
    Apr 21 at 5:43










  • @sudodus That's useful information in general, but if you're suggesting that this particular question should be closed this near to the release of 18.04, I don't think that's the case. Note that we do not actually regard all Ubuntu+1 questions as off-topic. I don't think this question is about a bug, and the behavior it is asking about is not going to change before the release.
    – Eliah Kagan
    Apr 21 at 10:45











  • @EliahKagan, I see your point, and I agree. (I did not vote for closing.)
    – sudodus
    Apr 21 at 15:25










  • I think this may be a bug or shortcoming in Bionic only, unrelated to VIM. ref discussion below. Also, does a feature freeze mean there are no more code changes, even if there are bugs?
    – Roel
    Apr 27 at 7:52













up vote
0
down vote

favorite









up vote
0
down vote

favorite











Using Ubuntu Bionic (server image pre-GA), coming from Centos 7 (i.e. this may not be limited to just Bionic), I find that the vim editor has some very annoying defaults. How can I disable the following;



  1. Auto-tab insertion in bash code when using if and pressing enter

  2. Search with '/' requires one to press enter to go back to editing mode and pressing something else - like cursor right - swaps back to the original location instead of the location where one is at.

Both these do not feel like standard/default vim







share|improve this question














Using Ubuntu Bionic (server image pre-GA), coming from Centos 7 (i.e. this may not be limited to just Bionic), I find that the vim editor has some very annoying defaults. How can I disable the following;



  1. Auto-tab insertion in bash code when using if and pressing enter

  2. Search with '/' requires one to press enter to go back to editing mode and pressing something else - like cursor right - swaps back to the original location instead of the location where one is at.

Both these do not feel like standard/default vim









share|improve this question













share|improve this question




share|improve this question








edited Apr 27 at 21:35









dpb

4,90911545




4,90911545










asked Apr 21 at 1:17









Roel

1258




1258







  • 1




    Ubuntu Development version / How to participate
    – sudodus
    Apr 21 at 5:43










  • @sudodus That's useful information in general, but if you're suggesting that this particular question should be closed this near to the release of 18.04, I don't think that's the case. Note that we do not actually regard all Ubuntu+1 questions as off-topic. I don't think this question is about a bug, and the behavior it is asking about is not going to change before the release.
    – Eliah Kagan
    Apr 21 at 10:45











  • @EliahKagan, I see your point, and I agree. (I did not vote for closing.)
    – sudodus
    Apr 21 at 15:25










  • I think this may be a bug or shortcoming in Bionic only, unrelated to VIM. ref discussion below. Also, does a feature freeze mean there are no more code changes, even if there are bugs?
    – Roel
    Apr 27 at 7:52













  • 1




    Ubuntu Development version / How to participate
    – sudodus
    Apr 21 at 5:43










  • @sudodus That's useful information in general, but if you're suggesting that this particular question should be closed this near to the release of 18.04, I don't think that's the case. Note that we do not actually regard all Ubuntu+1 questions as off-topic. I don't think this question is about a bug, and the behavior it is asking about is not going to change before the release.
    – Eliah Kagan
    Apr 21 at 10:45











  • @EliahKagan, I see your point, and I agree. (I did not vote for closing.)
    – sudodus
    Apr 21 at 15:25










  • I think this may be a bug or shortcoming in Bionic only, unrelated to VIM. ref discussion below. Also, does a feature freeze mean there are no more code changes, even if there are bugs?
    – Roel
    Apr 27 at 7:52








1




1




Ubuntu Development version / How to participate
– sudodus
Apr 21 at 5:43




Ubuntu Development version / How to participate
– sudodus
Apr 21 at 5:43












@sudodus That's useful information in general, but if you're suggesting that this particular question should be closed this near to the release of 18.04, I don't think that's the case. Note that we do not actually regard all Ubuntu+1 questions as off-topic. I don't think this question is about a bug, and the behavior it is asking about is not going to change before the release.
– Eliah Kagan
Apr 21 at 10:45





@sudodus That's useful information in general, but if you're suggesting that this particular question should be closed this near to the release of 18.04, I don't think that's the case. Note that we do not actually regard all Ubuntu+1 questions as off-topic. I don't think this question is about a bug, and the behavior it is asking about is not going to change before the release.
– Eliah Kagan
Apr 21 at 10:45













@EliahKagan, I see your point, and I agree. (I did not vote for closing.)
– sudodus
Apr 21 at 15:25




@EliahKagan, I see your point, and I agree. (I did not vote for closing.)
– sudodus
Apr 21 at 15:25












I think this may be a bug or shortcoming in Bionic only, unrelated to VIM. ref discussion below. Also, does a feature freeze mean there are no more code changes, even if there are bugs?
– Roel
Apr 27 at 7:52





I think this may be a bug or shortcoming in Bionic only, unrelated to VIM. ref discussion below. Also, does a feature freeze mean there are no more code changes, even if there are bugs?
– Roel
Apr 27 at 7:52











1 Answer
1






active

oldest

votes

















up vote
2
down vote



accepted










I found the answer in another thread



Open ~/.vimrc and add this;



:set nocompatible



This fixes all 3 issues to how they were in 17.10:



  1. No more odd reactions when you search with '/'

  2. No more odd tab/space inserts when editing

  3. No more odd character inserts when using arrow keys in edit mode

I believe this to be a bug in Ubuntu Bionic, at least in the pre-GA release.






share|improve this answer






















  • Logged as bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/vim/+bug/1767314
    – Roel
    Apr 27 at 9:36










Your Answer







StackExchange.ready(function()
var channelOptions =
tags: "".split(" "),
id: "89"
;
initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
// Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
createEditor();
);

else
createEditor();

);

function createEditor()
StackExchange.prepareEditor(
heartbeatType: 'answer',
convertImagesToLinks: true,
noModals: false,
showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
reputationToPostImages: 10,
bindNavPrevention: true,
postfix: "",
onDemand: true,
discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
);



);













 

draft saved


draft discarded


















StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1026820%2fdefault-vim-usage-in-ubuntu-bionic-feels-regressed-from-17-10%23new-answer', 'question_page');

);

Post as a guest






























1 Answer
1






active

oldest

votes








1 Answer
1






active

oldest

votes









active

oldest

votes






active

oldest

votes








up vote
2
down vote



accepted










I found the answer in another thread



Open ~/.vimrc and add this;



:set nocompatible



This fixes all 3 issues to how they were in 17.10:



  1. No more odd reactions when you search with '/'

  2. No more odd tab/space inserts when editing

  3. No more odd character inserts when using arrow keys in edit mode

I believe this to be a bug in Ubuntu Bionic, at least in the pre-GA release.






share|improve this answer






















  • Logged as bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/vim/+bug/1767314
    – Roel
    Apr 27 at 9:36














up vote
2
down vote



accepted










I found the answer in another thread



Open ~/.vimrc and add this;



:set nocompatible



This fixes all 3 issues to how they were in 17.10:



  1. No more odd reactions when you search with '/'

  2. No more odd tab/space inserts when editing

  3. No more odd character inserts when using arrow keys in edit mode

I believe this to be a bug in Ubuntu Bionic, at least in the pre-GA release.






share|improve this answer






















  • Logged as bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/vim/+bug/1767314
    – Roel
    Apr 27 at 9:36












up vote
2
down vote



accepted







up vote
2
down vote



accepted






I found the answer in another thread



Open ~/.vimrc and add this;



:set nocompatible



This fixes all 3 issues to how they were in 17.10:



  1. No more odd reactions when you search with '/'

  2. No more odd tab/space inserts when editing

  3. No more odd character inserts when using arrow keys in edit mode

I believe this to be a bug in Ubuntu Bionic, at least in the pre-GA release.






share|improve this answer














I found the answer in another thread



Open ~/.vimrc and add this;



:set nocompatible



This fixes all 3 issues to how they were in 17.10:



  1. No more odd reactions when you search with '/'

  2. No more odd tab/space inserts when editing

  3. No more odd character inserts when using arrow keys in edit mode

I believe this to be a bug in Ubuntu Bionic, at least in the pre-GA release.







share|improve this answer














share|improve this answer



share|improve this answer








edited Apr 27 at 21:38









dpb

4,90911545




4,90911545










answered Apr 27 at 8:07









Roel

1258




1258











  • Logged as bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/vim/+bug/1767314
    – Roel
    Apr 27 at 9:36
















  • Logged as bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/vim/+bug/1767314
    – Roel
    Apr 27 at 9:36















Logged as bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/vim/+bug/1767314
– Roel
Apr 27 at 9:36




Logged as bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/vim/+bug/1767314
– Roel
Apr 27 at 9:36

















 

draft saved


draft discarded















































 


draft saved


draft discarded














StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1026820%2fdefault-vim-usage-in-ubuntu-bionic-feels-regressed-from-17-10%23new-answer', 'question_page');

);

Post as a guest













































































Popular posts from this blog

Which professions warranted travel in Medieval times?

How do so many people here on Academia.SE, and in general, afford lavish higher education programs?

Trouble downloading packages list due to a “Hash sum mismatch” error