grub rescue problems - deleted partition -reinstalling Ubuntu

The name of the pictureThe name of the pictureThe name of the pictureClash Royale CLAN TAG#URR8PPP








up vote
0
down vote

favorite












I am having grub rescue problems, trying to reinstall a deleted Ubuntu instance.



I used the "ls" command and have 4 partitions. I went through all 4 of them doing "set root" and "set prefix, boot/grub" and for all 4 of them I got error:unknowfile system



but all I have to do is turn off legacy and Windows boots up.



I can boot windows in UEFI mode (non legacy mode) in my bios, but I installed Ubuntu with a Windows partition using a boot drive on a usb stick and it's the first time a usb boot ever worked for me, had a hard time on my mac, could only boot from dvd's.



I got Ubuntu installed but my grub menu wouldn't appear, actually made it appear once and windows wasn't on the list, since I partition on windows using my Dell laptop, windows was installed first, I went through the instructions on a YouTube video and made my boot usb and went into legacy mode and installed, but I had the option to INSTALL WITH WINDOWS but I went the OTHER route and thought that is why the grub menu wasn't working.



so I deleted the partition thinking I could reinstall UBUNTU WITH WINDOWS so my grub menu would work



Could I reinstall Windows than make another go at Ubuntu partition or is my bios grub menu messed up permanently?



How do you suggest I fix grub rescue with the information I gave?










share|improve this question























  • Could you please run Boot-Info and edit your question to include a link to its resulting info log? Thanks.
    – David Foerster
    Mar 21 at 17:24














up vote
0
down vote

favorite












I am having grub rescue problems, trying to reinstall a deleted Ubuntu instance.



I used the "ls" command and have 4 partitions. I went through all 4 of them doing "set root" and "set prefix, boot/grub" and for all 4 of them I got error:unknowfile system



but all I have to do is turn off legacy and Windows boots up.



I can boot windows in UEFI mode (non legacy mode) in my bios, but I installed Ubuntu with a Windows partition using a boot drive on a usb stick and it's the first time a usb boot ever worked for me, had a hard time on my mac, could only boot from dvd's.



I got Ubuntu installed but my grub menu wouldn't appear, actually made it appear once and windows wasn't on the list, since I partition on windows using my Dell laptop, windows was installed first, I went through the instructions on a YouTube video and made my boot usb and went into legacy mode and installed, but I had the option to INSTALL WITH WINDOWS but I went the OTHER route and thought that is why the grub menu wasn't working.



so I deleted the partition thinking I could reinstall UBUNTU WITH WINDOWS so my grub menu would work



Could I reinstall Windows than make another go at Ubuntu partition or is my bios grub menu messed up permanently?



How do you suggest I fix grub rescue with the information I gave?










share|improve this question























  • Could you please run Boot-Info and edit your question to include a link to its resulting info log? Thanks.
    – David Foerster
    Mar 21 at 17:24












up vote
0
down vote

favorite









up vote
0
down vote

favorite











I am having grub rescue problems, trying to reinstall a deleted Ubuntu instance.



I used the "ls" command and have 4 partitions. I went through all 4 of them doing "set root" and "set prefix, boot/grub" and for all 4 of them I got error:unknowfile system



but all I have to do is turn off legacy and Windows boots up.



I can boot windows in UEFI mode (non legacy mode) in my bios, but I installed Ubuntu with a Windows partition using a boot drive on a usb stick and it's the first time a usb boot ever worked for me, had a hard time on my mac, could only boot from dvd's.



I got Ubuntu installed but my grub menu wouldn't appear, actually made it appear once and windows wasn't on the list, since I partition on windows using my Dell laptop, windows was installed first, I went through the instructions on a YouTube video and made my boot usb and went into legacy mode and installed, but I had the option to INSTALL WITH WINDOWS but I went the OTHER route and thought that is why the grub menu wasn't working.



so I deleted the partition thinking I could reinstall UBUNTU WITH WINDOWS so my grub menu would work



Could I reinstall Windows than make another go at Ubuntu partition or is my bios grub menu messed up permanently?



How do you suggest I fix grub rescue with the information I gave?










share|improve this question















I am having grub rescue problems, trying to reinstall a deleted Ubuntu instance.



I used the "ls" command and have 4 partitions. I went through all 4 of them doing "set root" and "set prefix, boot/grub" and for all 4 of them I got error:unknowfile system



but all I have to do is turn off legacy and Windows boots up.



I can boot windows in UEFI mode (non legacy mode) in my bios, but I installed Ubuntu with a Windows partition using a boot drive on a usb stick and it's the first time a usb boot ever worked for me, had a hard time on my mac, could only boot from dvd's.



I got Ubuntu installed but my grub menu wouldn't appear, actually made it appear once and windows wasn't on the list, since I partition on windows using my Dell laptop, windows was installed first, I went through the instructions on a YouTube video and made my boot usb and went into legacy mode and installed, but I had the option to INSTALL WITH WINDOWS but I went the OTHER route and thought that is why the grub menu wasn't working.



so I deleted the partition thinking I could reinstall UBUNTU WITH WINDOWS so my grub menu would work



Could I reinstall Windows than make another go at Ubuntu partition or is my bios grub menu messed up permanently?



How do you suggest I fix grub rescue with the information I gave?







dual-boot grub2 partitioning grubrescue






share|improve this question















share|improve this question













share|improve this question




share|improve this question








edited Mar 21 at 17:18









Jason Aller

44758




44758










asked Mar 21 at 15:53









justbrian

11




11











  • Could you please run Boot-Info and edit your question to include a link to its resulting info log? Thanks.
    – David Foerster
    Mar 21 at 17:24
















  • Could you please run Boot-Info and edit your question to include a link to its resulting info log? Thanks.
    – David Foerster
    Mar 21 at 17:24















Could you please run Boot-Info and edit your question to include a link to its resulting info log? Thanks.
– David Foerster
Mar 21 at 17:24




Could you please run Boot-Info and edit your question to include a link to its resulting info log? Thanks.
– David Foerster
Mar 21 at 17:24















active

oldest

votes











Your Answer







StackExchange.ready(function()
var channelOptions =
tags: "".split(" "),
id: "89"
;
initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
// Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
createEditor();
);

else
createEditor();

);

function createEditor()
StackExchange.prepareEditor(
heartbeatType: 'answer',
convertImagesToLinks: true,
noModals: false,
showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
reputationToPostImages: 10,
bindNavPrevention: true,
postfix: "",
onDemand: true,
discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
);



);













 

draft saved


draft discarded


















StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1017986%2fgrub-rescue-problems-deleted-partition-reinstalling-ubuntu%23new-answer', 'question_page');

);

Post as a guest



































active

oldest

votes













active

oldest

votes









active

oldest

votes






active

oldest

votes















 

draft saved


draft discarded















































 


draft saved


draft discarded














StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1017986%2fgrub-rescue-problems-deleted-partition-reinstalling-ubuntu%23new-answer', 'question_page');

);

Post as a guest













































































Popular posts from this blog

Which professions warranted travel in Medieval times?

How do so many people here on Academia.SE, and in general, afford lavish higher education programs?

Trouble downloading packages list due to a “Hash sum mismatch” error