VirtualBox will not install on fresh copy of Ubuntu 18.04

The name of the pictureThe name of the pictureThe name of the pictureClash Royale CLAN TAG#URR8PPP








up vote
0
down vote

favorite












I've seen two questions which are similar to mine, but neither has solutions that work for me. When I try to install VirtualBox from the Ubuntu repos, the resulting program gives the error:



VirtualBox: supR3HardenedMainGetTrustedMain: dlopen("/usr/lib/virtualbox/VirtualBox.so",) failed: libQt5Core.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory


I have qt5 core installed. In fact, because I kept getting Qt5 errors, I ended up doing



sudo apt install qt*


which did not solve my problem. I have even tried building VirtualBox from source, following these instructions. When I first started trying to build from source, I also got Qt5 errors in the ./configure step. I ended up installing Qt5 from their website and pointing the build at it, like this:



./configure --disable-hardening --with-qt-dr=/opt/path/to/Qt


That actually did fix the Qt error, but now the kmk step ends up failing, and then if I continue with the instructions I never actually get a working build.



I've also tried straight up reinstalling Ubuntu 3 or 4 times now, and that hasn't helped. This is one of the other questions here on Ask Ubuntu where the solution hasn't really helped me, because my system outputs -- as far as I can tell -- the same things as the only answer's working system. The other question has no answers, and the only commented suggestion is sudo apt install -f which I have obviously tried, and which did not fix my installation.



Requested Edits:
I tried sudo apt install --reinstall libqt5core5a and kept getting the same error.
Output of apt-cache policy virtualbox-qt libqt5core5a:



virtualbox-qt:
Installed: 5.2.10-dfsg-6
Candidate: 5.2.10-dfsg-6
Version table:
*** 5.2.10-dfsg-6 500
500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic/multiverse amd64 Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
libqt5core5a:
Installed: 5.9.5+dfsg-0ubuntu1
Candidate: 5.9.5+dfsg-0ubuntu1
Version table:
*** 5.9.5+dfsg-0ubuntu1 500
500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic/main amd64 Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status


I also have tried installing VirtualBox directly from the oracle website. The installation behaves as if it's working, but then throws the same error.



Output of file /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libQt5Core.so.5.9.5:



/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libQt5Core.so.5: symbolic link to libQt5Core.so.5.9.5


Output of ldd /usr/lib/virtualbox/VirtualBox.so | sort:



/lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 (0x00007f7ff093a000)
libasn1.so.8 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libasn1.so.8 (0x00007f7fe3f24000)
libbsd.so.0 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libbsd.so.0 (0x00007f7fe9c5e000)
libcom_err.so.2 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libcom_err.so.2 (0x00007f7fe52ea000)
libcrypto.so.1.1 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libcrypto.so.1.1 (0x00007f7fea9e1000)
libcrypt.so.1 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libcrypt.so.1 (0x00007f7febb26000)
libc.so.6 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6 (0x00007f7fec86e000)
libcurl-gnutls.so.4 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libcurl-gnutls.so.4 (0x00007f7feb0c3000)
libdl.so.2 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libdl.so.2 (0x00007f7fef306000)
libdouble-conversion.so.1 => not found
libffi.so.6 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libffi.so.6 (0x00007f7fe4860000)
libgcc_s.so.1 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgcc_s.so.1 (0x00007f7fecc5f000)
libGLdispatch.so.0 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libGLdispatch.so.0 (0x00007f7febf7d000)
libglib-2.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libglib-2.0.so.0 (0x00007f7fe9e73000)
libGL.so.1 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libGL.so.1 (0x00007f7fef50a000)
libGLX.so.0 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libGLX.so.0 (0x00007f7fec233000)
libgmp.so.10 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgmp.so.10 (0x00007f7fe5f38000)
libgnutls.so.30 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgnutls.so.30 (0x00007f7fe8c31000)
libgssapi_krb5.so.2 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgssapi_krb5.so.2 (0x00007f7fe89e6000)
libgssapi.so.3 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgssapi.so.3 (0x00007f7fe4a68000)
libhcrypto.so.4 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libhcrypto.so.4 (0x00007f7fe3cee000)
libheimbase.so.1 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libheimbase.so.1 (0x00007f7fe36a0000)
libheimntlm.so.0 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libheimntlm.so.0 (0x00007f7fe4453000)
libhogweed.so.4 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libhogweed.so.4 (0x00007f7fe61b9000)
libhx509.so.5 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libhx509.so.5 (0x00007f7fe3456000)
libicudata.so.60 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libicudata.so.60 (0x00007f7fe69dd000)
libicui18n.so.60 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libicui18n.so.60 (0x00007f7fea540000)
libicuuc.so.60 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libicuuc.so.60 (0x00007f7fea189000)
libidn2.so.0 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libidn2.so.0 (0x00007f7fe95f6000)
libk5crypto.so.3 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libk5crypto.so.3 (0x00007f7fe54ee000)
libkeyutils.so.1 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libkeyutils.so.1 (0x00007f7fe465c000)
libkrb5.so.26 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libkrb5.so.26 (0x00007f7fe41c6000)
libkrb5.so.3 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libkrb5.so.3 (0x00007f7fe5720000)
libkrb5support.so.0 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libkrb5support.so.0 (0x00007f7fe50df000)
liblber-2.4.so.2 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/liblber-2.4.so.2 (0x00007f7fe8586000)
libldap_r-2.4.so.2 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libldap_r-2.4.so.2 (0x00007f7fe8794000)
liblzma.so.5 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/liblzma.so.5 (0x00007f7fe9a38000)
libm.so.6 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libm.so.6 (0x00007f7fece77000)
libnettle.so.6 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libnettle.so.6 (0x00007f7fe8f96000)
libnghttp2.so.14 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libnghttp2.so.14 (0x00007f7fe9813000)
libp11-kit.so.0 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libp11-kit.so.0 (0x00007f7fe5c09000)
libpcre.so.3 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpcre.so.3 (0x00007f7fe676b000)
libpsl.so.5 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpsl.so.5 (0x00007f7fe91cc000)
libpthread.so.0 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpthread.so.0 (0x00007f7febd5e000)
libQt5Core.so.5 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libQt5Core.so.5 (0x00007f7feda69000)
libQt5Gui.so.5 => not found
libQt5Gui.so.5 => not found
libQt5Gui.so.5 => not found
libQt5Gui.so.5 => not found
libQt5OpenGL.so.5 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libQt5OpenGL.so.5 (0x00007f7fed5a3000)
libQt5PrintSupport.so.5 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libQt5PrintSupport.so.5 (0x00007f7fed7fa000)
libQt5Widgets.so.5 => not found
libQt5Widgets.so.5 => not found
libQt5Widgets.so.5 => not found
libQt5X11Extras.so.5 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libQt5X11Extras.so.5 (0x00007f7fee1b4000)
libresolv.so.2 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libresolv.so.2 (0x00007f7fe4ec4000)
libroken.so.18 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libroken.so.18 (0x00007f7fe3ad8000)
librtmp.so.1 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/librtmp.so.1 (0x00007f7fe93da000)
librt.so.1 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/librt.so.1 (0x00007f7feb701000)
libsasl2.so.2 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libsasl2.so.2 (0x00007f7fe4ca9000)
libsqlite3.so.0 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libsqlite3.so.0 (0x00007f7fe314d000)
libssl.so.1.1 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libssl.so.1.1 (0x00007f7feae59000)
libstdc++.so.6 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6 (0x00007f7fed215000)
libtasn1.so.6 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libtasn1.so.6 (0x00007f7fe59f6000)
libunistring.so.2 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libunistring.so.2 (0x00007f7fe63ed000)
libwind.so.0 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libwind.so.0 (0x00007f7fe38af000)
libX11.so.6 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libX11.so.6 (0x00007f7fee6d3000)
libXau.so.6 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libXau.so.6 (0x00007f7fec66a000)
libxcb.so.1 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libxcb.so.1 (0x00007f7fef796000)
libXdmcp.so.6 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libXdmcp.so.6 (0x00007f7fec464000)
libXext.so.6 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libXext.so.6 (0x00007f7feea0c000)
libXinerama.so.1 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libXinerama.so.1 (0x00007f7fef9be000)
libxml2.so.2 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libxml2.so.2 (0x00007f7feb340000)
libz.so.1 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libz.so.1 (0x00007f7feb909000)
linux-vdso.so.1 (0x00007ffce770a000)
VBoxKeyboard.so => /usr/lib/virtualbox/VBoxKeyboard.so (0x00007f7fef0f5000)
VBoxRT.so => /usr/lib/virtualbox/VBoxRT.so (0x00007f7feec1e000)
VBoxXPCOM.so => /usr/lib/virtualbox/VBoxXPCOM.so (0x00007f7fee3b8000)






share|improve this question





















  • Welcome to Ask Ubuntu! Looks like a package may be corrupted. Could you please run sudo apt install --reinstall libqt5core5a and try again? If that fails please edit your question to also include the output of apt-cache policy virtualbox-qt libqt5core5a. Thanks.
    – David Foerster
    Jun 6 at 21:32










  • Updated with requested information.
    – Clayton McCray
    Jun 6 at 21:38






  • 1




    Why not install VB from virtualbox.org? It installs and works well.
    – Pilot6
    Jun 6 at 21:39






  • 1




    @DavidFoerster It is in some other world ;-) I don't think they test it. In many releases it doesn't even install. This is not the first time. But the VB people built a special deb for bionic.
    – Pilot6
    Jun 6 at 21:42






  • 1




    Yes, they might be related. Are there any other previous errors, customizations, or other backstory we should know about?
    – user535733
    Jun 7 at 3:23














up vote
0
down vote

favorite












I've seen two questions which are similar to mine, but neither has solutions that work for me. When I try to install VirtualBox from the Ubuntu repos, the resulting program gives the error:



VirtualBox: supR3HardenedMainGetTrustedMain: dlopen("/usr/lib/virtualbox/VirtualBox.so",) failed: libQt5Core.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory


I have qt5 core installed. In fact, because I kept getting Qt5 errors, I ended up doing



sudo apt install qt*


which did not solve my problem. I have even tried building VirtualBox from source, following these instructions. When I first started trying to build from source, I also got Qt5 errors in the ./configure step. I ended up installing Qt5 from their website and pointing the build at it, like this:



./configure --disable-hardening --with-qt-dr=/opt/path/to/Qt


That actually did fix the Qt error, but now the kmk step ends up failing, and then if I continue with the instructions I never actually get a working build.



I've also tried straight up reinstalling Ubuntu 3 or 4 times now, and that hasn't helped. This is one of the other questions here on Ask Ubuntu where the solution hasn't really helped me, because my system outputs -- as far as I can tell -- the same things as the only answer's working system. The other question has no answers, and the only commented suggestion is sudo apt install -f which I have obviously tried, and which did not fix my installation.



Requested Edits:
I tried sudo apt install --reinstall libqt5core5a and kept getting the same error.
Output of apt-cache policy virtualbox-qt libqt5core5a:



virtualbox-qt:
Installed: 5.2.10-dfsg-6
Candidate: 5.2.10-dfsg-6
Version table:
*** 5.2.10-dfsg-6 500
500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic/multiverse amd64 Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
libqt5core5a:
Installed: 5.9.5+dfsg-0ubuntu1
Candidate: 5.9.5+dfsg-0ubuntu1
Version table:
*** 5.9.5+dfsg-0ubuntu1 500
500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic/main amd64 Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status


I also have tried installing VirtualBox directly from the oracle website. The installation behaves as if it's working, but then throws the same error.



Output of file /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libQt5Core.so.5.9.5:



/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libQt5Core.so.5: symbolic link to libQt5Core.so.5.9.5


Output of ldd /usr/lib/virtualbox/VirtualBox.so | sort:



/lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 (0x00007f7ff093a000)
libasn1.so.8 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libasn1.so.8 (0x00007f7fe3f24000)
libbsd.so.0 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libbsd.so.0 (0x00007f7fe9c5e000)
libcom_err.so.2 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libcom_err.so.2 (0x00007f7fe52ea000)
libcrypto.so.1.1 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libcrypto.so.1.1 (0x00007f7fea9e1000)
libcrypt.so.1 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libcrypt.so.1 (0x00007f7febb26000)
libc.so.6 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6 (0x00007f7fec86e000)
libcurl-gnutls.so.4 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libcurl-gnutls.so.4 (0x00007f7feb0c3000)
libdl.so.2 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libdl.so.2 (0x00007f7fef306000)
libdouble-conversion.so.1 => not found
libffi.so.6 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libffi.so.6 (0x00007f7fe4860000)
libgcc_s.so.1 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgcc_s.so.1 (0x00007f7fecc5f000)
libGLdispatch.so.0 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libGLdispatch.so.0 (0x00007f7febf7d000)
libglib-2.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libglib-2.0.so.0 (0x00007f7fe9e73000)
libGL.so.1 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libGL.so.1 (0x00007f7fef50a000)
libGLX.so.0 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libGLX.so.0 (0x00007f7fec233000)
libgmp.so.10 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgmp.so.10 (0x00007f7fe5f38000)
libgnutls.so.30 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgnutls.so.30 (0x00007f7fe8c31000)
libgssapi_krb5.so.2 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgssapi_krb5.so.2 (0x00007f7fe89e6000)
libgssapi.so.3 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgssapi.so.3 (0x00007f7fe4a68000)
libhcrypto.so.4 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libhcrypto.so.4 (0x00007f7fe3cee000)
libheimbase.so.1 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libheimbase.so.1 (0x00007f7fe36a0000)
libheimntlm.so.0 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libheimntlm.so.0 (0x00007f7fe4453000)
libhogweed.so.4 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libhogweed.so.4 (0x00007f7fe61b9000)
libhx509.so.5 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libhx509.so.5 (0x00007f7fe3456000)
libicudata.so.60 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libicudata.so.60 (0x00007f7fe69dd000)
libicui18n.so.60 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libicui18n.so.60 (0x00007f7fea540000)
libicuuc.so.60 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libicuuc.so.60 (0x00007f7fea189000)
libidn2.so.0 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libidn2.so.0 (0x00007f7fe95f6000)
libk5crypto.so.3 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libk5crypto.so.3 (0x00007f7fe54ee000)
libkeyutils.so.1 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libkeyutils.so.1 (0x00007f7fe465c000)
libkrb5.so.26 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libkrb5.so.26 (0x00007f7fe41c6000)
libkrb5.so.3 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libkrb5.so.3 (0x00007f7fe5720000)
libkrb5support.so.0 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libkrb5support.so.0 (0x00007f7fe50df000)
liblber-2.4.so.2 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/liblber-2.4.so.2 (0x00007f7fe8586000)
libldap_r-2.4.so.2 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libldap_r-2.4.so.2 (0x00007f7fe8794000)
liblzma.so.5 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/liblzma.so.5 (0x00007f7fe9a38000)
libm.so.6 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libm.so.6 (0x00007f7fece77000)
libnettle.so.6 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libnettle.so.6 (0x00007f7fe8f96000)
libnghttp2.so.14 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libnghttp2.so.14 (0x00007f7fe9813000)
libp11-kit.so.0 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libp11-kit.so.0 (0x00007f7fe5c09000)
libpcre.so.3 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpcre.so.3 (0x00007f7fe676b000)
libpsl.so.5 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpsl.so.5 (0x00007f7fe91cc000)
libpthread.so.0 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpthread.so.0 (0x00007f7febd5e000)
libQt5Core.so.5 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libQt5Core.so.5 (0x00007f7feda69000)
libQt5Gui.so.5 => not found
libQt5Gui.so.5 => not found
libQt5Gui.so.5 => not found
libQt5Gui.so.5 => not found
libQt5OpenGL.so.5 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libQt5OpenGL.so.5 (0x00007f7fed5a3000)
libQt5PrintSupport.so.5 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libQt5PrintSupport.so.5 (0x00007f7fed7fa000)
libQt5Widgets.so.5 => not found
libQt5Widgets.so.5 => not found
libQt5Widgets.so.5 => not found
libQt5X11Extras.so.5 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libQt5X11Extras.so.5 (0x00007f7fee1b4000)
libresolv.so.2 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libresolv.so.2 (0x00007f7fe4ec4000)
libroken.so.18 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libroken.so.18 (0x00007f7fe3ad8000)
librtmp.so.1 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/librtmp.so.1 (0x00007f7fe93da000)
librt.so.1 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/librt.so.1 (0x00007f7feb701000)
libsasl2.so.2 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libsasl2.so.2 (0x00007f7fe4ca9000)
libsqlite3.so.0 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libsqlite3.so.0 (0x00007f7fe314d000)
libssl.so.1.1 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libssl.so.1.1 (0x00007f7feae59000)
libstdc++.so.6 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6 (0x00007f7fed215000)
libtasn1.so.6 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libtasn1.so.6 (0x00007f7fe59f6000)
libunistring.so.2 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libunistring.so.2 (0x00007f7fe63ed000)
libwind.so.0 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libwind.so.0 (0x00007f7fe38af000)
libX11.so.6 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libX11.so.6 (0x00007f7fee6d3000)
libXau.so.6 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libXau.so.6 (0x00007f7fec66a000)
libxcb.so.1 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libxcb.so.1 (0x00007f7fef796000)
libXdmcp.so.6 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libXdmcp.so.6 (0x00007f7fec464000)
libXext.so.6 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libXext.so.6 (0x00007f7feea0c000)
libXinerama.so.1 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libXinerama.so.1 (0x00007f7fef9be000)
libxml2.so.2 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libxml2.so.2 (0x00007f7feb340000)
libz.so.1 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libz.so.1 (0x00007f7feb909000)
linux-vdso.so.1 (0x00007ffce770a000)
VBoxKeyboard.so => /usr/lib/virtualbox/VBoxKeyboard.so (0x00007f7fef0f5000)
VBoxRT.so => /usr/lib/virtualbox/VBoxRT.so (0x00007f7feec1e000)
VBoxXPCOM.so => /usr/lib/virtualbox/VBoxXPCOM.so (0x00007f7fee3b8000)






share|improve this question





















  • Welcome to Ask Ubuntu! Looks like a package may be corrupted. Could you please run sudo apt install --reinstall libqt5core5a and try again? If that fails please edit your question to also include the output of apt-cache policy virtualbox-qt libqt5core5a. Thanks.
    – David Foerster
    Jun 6 at 21:32










  • Updated with requested information.
    – Clayton McCray
    Jun 6 at 21:38






  • 1




    Why not install VB from virtualbox.org? It installs and works well.
    – Pilot6
    Jun 6 at 21:39






  • 1




    @DavidFoerster It is in some other world ;-) I don't think they test it. In many releases it doesn't even install. This is not the first time. But the VB people built a special deb for bionic.
    – Pilot6
    Jun 6 at 21:42






  • 1




    Yes, they might be related. Are there any other previous errors, customizations, or other backstory we should know about?
    – user535733
    Jun 7 at 3:23












up vote
0
down vote

favorite









up vote
0
down vote

favorite











I've seen two questions which are similar to mine, but neither has solutions that work for me. When I try to install VirtualBox from the Ubuntu repos, the resulting program gives the error:



VirtualBox: supR3HardenedMainGetTrustedMain: dlopen("/usr/lib/virtualbox/VirtualBox.so",) failed: libQt5Core.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory


I have qt5 core installed. In fact, because I kept getting Qt5 errors, I ended up doing



sudo apt install qt*


which did not solve my problem. I have even tried building VirtualBox from source, following these instructions. When I first started trying to build from source, I also got Qt5 errors in the ./configure step. I ended up installing Qt5 from their website and pointing the build at it, like this:



./configure --disable-hardening --with-qt-dr=/opt/path/to/Qt


That actually did fix the Qt error, but now the kmk step ends up failing, and then if I continue with the instructions I never actually get a working build.



I've also tried straight up reinstalling Ubuntu 3 or 4 times now, and that hasn't helped. This is one of the other questions here on Ask Ubuntu where the solution hasn't really helped me, because my system outputs -- as far as I can tell -- the same things as the only answer's working system. The other question has no answers, and the only commented suggestion is sudo apt install -f which I have obviously tried, and which did not fix my installation.



Requested Edits:
I tried sudo apt install --reinstall libqt5core5a and kept getting the same error.
Output of apt-cache policy virtualbox-qt libqt5core5a:



virtualbox-qt:
Installed: 5.2.10-dfsg-6
Candidate: 5.2.10-dfsg-6
Version table:
*** 5.2.10-dfsg-6 500
500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic/multiverse amd64 Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
libqt5core5a:
Installed: 5.9.5+dfsg-0ubuntu1
Candidate: 5.9.5+dfsg-0ubuntu1
Version table:
*** 5.9.5+dfsg-0ubuntu1 500
500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic/main amd64 Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status


I also have tried installing VirtualBox directly from the oracle website. The installation behaves as if it's working, but then throws the same error.



Output of file /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libQt5Core.so.5.9.5:



/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libQt5Core.so.5: symbolic link to libQt5Core.so.5.9.5


Output of ldd /usr/lib/virtualbox/VirtualBox.so | sort:



/lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 (0x00007f7ff093a000)
libasn1.so.8 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libasn1.so.8 (0x00007f7fe3f24000)
libbsd.so.0 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libbsd.so.0 (0x00007f7fe9c5e000)
libcom_err.so.2 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libcom_err.so.2 (0x00007f7fe52ea000)
libcrypto.so.1.1 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libcrypto.so.1.1 (0x00007f7fea9e1000)
libcrypt.so.1 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libcrypt.so.1 (0x00007f7febb26000)
libc.so.6 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6 (0x00007f7fec86e000)
libcurl-gnutls.so.4 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libcurl-gnutls.so.4 (0x00007f7feb0c3000)
libdl.so.2 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libdl.so.2 (0x00007f7fef306000)
libdouble-conversion.so.1 => not found
libffi.so.6 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libffi.so.6 (0x00007f7fe4860000)
libgcc_s.so.1 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgcc_s.so.1 (0x00007f7fecc5f000)
libGLdispatch.so.0 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libGLdispatch.so.0 (0x00007f7febf7d000)
libglib-2.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libglib-2.0.so.0 (0x00007f7fe9e73000)
libGL.so.1 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libGL.so.1 (0x00007f7fef50a000)
libGLX.so.0 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libGLX.so.0 (0x00007f7fec233000)
libgmp.so.10 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgmp.so.10 (0x00007f7fe5f38000)
libgnutls.so.30 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgnutls.so.30 (0x00007f7fe8c31000)
libgssapi_krb5.so.2 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgssapi_krb5.so.2 (0x00007f7fe89e6000)
libgssapi.so.3 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgssapi.so.3 (0x00007f7fe4a68000)
libhcrypto.so.4 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libhcrypto.so.4 (0x00007f7fe3cee000)
libheimbase.so.1 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libheimbase.so.1 (0x00007f7fe36a0000)
libheimntlm.so.0 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libheimntlm.so.0 (0x00007f7fe4453000)
libhogweed.so.4 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libhogweed.so.4 (0x00007f7fe61b9000)
libhx509.so.5 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libhx509.so.5 (0x00007f7fe3456000)
libicudata.so.60 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libicudata.so.60 (0x00007f7fe69dd000)
libicui18n.so.60 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libicui18n.so.60 (0x00007f7fea540000)
libicuuc.so.60 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libicuuc.so.60 (0x00007f7fea189000)
libidn2.so.0 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libidn2.so.0 (0x00007f7fe95f6000)
libk5crypto.so.3 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libk5crypto.so.3 (0x00007f7fe54ee000)
libkeyutils.so.1 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libkeyutils.so.1 (0x00007f7fe465c000)
libkrb5.so.26 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libkrb5.so.26 (0x00007f7fe41c6000)
libkrb5.so.3 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libkrb5.so.3 (0x00007f7fe5720000)
libkrb5support.so.0 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libkrb5support.so.0 (0x00007f7fe50df000)
liblber-2.4.so.2 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/liblber-2.4.so.2 (0x00007f7fe8586000)
libldap_r-2.4.so.2 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libldap_r-2.4.so.2 (0x00007f7fe8794000)
liblzma.so.5 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/liblzma.so.5 (0x00007f7fe9a38000)
libm.so.6 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libm.so.6 (0x00007f7fece77000)
libnettle.so.6 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libnettle.so.6 (0x00007f7fe8f96000)
libnghttp2.so.14 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libnghttp2.so.14 (0x00007f7fe9813000)
libp11-kit.so.0 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libp11-kit.so.0 (0x00007f7fe5c09000)
libpcre.so.3 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpcre.so.3 (0x00007f7fe676b000)
libpsl.so.5 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpsl.so.5 (0x00007f7fe91cc000)
libpthread.so.0 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpthread.so.0 (0x00007f7febd5e000)
libQt5Core.so.5 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libQt5Core.so.5 (0x00007f7feda69000)
libQt5Gui.so.5 => not found
libQt5Gui.so.5 => not found
libQt5Gui.so.5 => not found
libQt5Gui.so.5 => not found
libQt5OpenGL.so.5 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libQt5OpenGL.so.5 (0x00007f7fed5a3000)
libQt5PrintSupport.so.5 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libQt5PrintSupport.so.5 (0x00007f7fed7fa000)
libQt5Widgets.so.5 => not found
libQt5Widgets.so.5 => not found
libQt5Widgets.so.5 => not found
libQt5X11Extras.so.5 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libQt5X11Extras.so.5 (0x00007f7fee1b4000)
libresolv.so.2 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libresolv.so.2 (0x00007f7fe4ec4000)
libroken.so.18 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libroken.so.18 (0x00007f7fe3ad8000)
librtmp.so.1 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/librtmp.so.1 (0x00007f7fe93da000)
librt.so.1 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/librt.so.1 (0x00007f7feb701000)
libsasl2.so.2 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libsasl2.so.2 (0x00007f7fe4ca9000)
libsqlite3.so.0 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libsqlite3.so.0 (0x00007f7fe314d000)
libssl.so.1.1 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libssl.so.1.1 (0x00007f7feae59000)
libstdc++.so.6 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6 (0x00007f7fed215000)
libtasn1.so.6 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libtasn1.so.6 (0x00007f7fe59f6000)
libunistring.so.2 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libunistring.so.2 (0x00007f7fe63ed000)
libwind.so.0 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libwind.so.0 (0x00007f7fe38af000)
libX11.so.6 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libX11.so.6 (0x00007f7fee6d3000)
libXau.so.6 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libXau.so.6 (0x00007f7fec66a000)
libxcb.so.1 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libxcb.so.1 (0x00007f7fef796000)
libXdmcp.so.6 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libXdmcp.so.6 (0x00007f7fec464000)
libXext.so.6 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libXext.so.6 (0x00007f7feea0c000)
libXinerama.so.1 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libXinerama.so.1 (0x00007f7fef9be000)
libxml2.so.2 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libxml2.so.2 (0x00007f7feb340000)
libz.so.1 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libz.so.1 (0x00007f7feb909000)
linux-vdso.so.1 (0x00007ffce770a000)
VBoxKeyboard.so => /usr/lib/virtualbox/VBoxKeyboard.so (0x00007f7fef0f5000)
VBoxRT.so => /usr/lib/virtualbox/VBoxRT.so (0x00007f7feec1e000)
VBoxXPCOM.so => /usr/lib/virtualbox/VBoxXPCOM.so (0x00007f7fee3b8000)






share|improve this question













I've seen two questions which are similar to mine, but neither has solutions that work for me. When I try to install VirtualBox from the Ubuntu repos, the resulting program gives the error:



VirtualBox: supR3HardenedMainGetTrustedMain: dlopen("/usr/lib/virtualbox/VirtualBox.so",) failed: libQt5Core.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory


I have qt5 core installed. In fact, because I kept getting Qt5 errors, I ended up doing



sudo apt install qt*


which did not solve my problem. I have even tried building VirtualBox from source, following these instructions. When I first started trying to build from source, I also got Qt5 errors in the ./configure step. I ended up installing Qt5 from their website and pointing the build at it, like this:



./configure --disable-hardening --with-qt-dr=/opt/path/to/Qt


That actually did fix the Qt error, but now the kmk step ends up failing, and then if I continue with the instructions I never actually get a working build.



I've also tried straight up reinstalling Ubuntu 3 or 4 times now, and that hasn't helped. This is one of the other questions here on Ask Ubuntu where the solution hasn't really helped me, because my system outputs -- as far as I can tell -- the same things as the only answer's working system. The other question has no answers, and the only commented suggestion is sudo apt install -f which I have obviously tried, and which did not fix my installation.



Requested Edits:
I tried sudo apt install --reinstall libqt5core5a and kept getting the same error.
Output of apt-cache policy virtualbox-qt libqt5core5a:



virtualbox-qt:
Installed: 5.2.10-dfsg-6
Candidate: 5.2.10-dfsg-6
Version table:
*** 5.2.10-dfsg-6 500
500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic/multiverse amd64 Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
libqt5core5a:
Installed: 5.9.5+dfsg-0ubuntu1
Candidate: 5.9.5+dfsg-0ubuntu1
Version table:
*** 5.9.5+dfsg-0ubuntu1 500
500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic/main amd64 Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status


I also have tried installing VirtualBox directly from the oracle website. The installation behaves as if it's working, but then throws the same error.



Output of file /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libQt5Core.so.5.9.5:



/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libQt5Core.so.5: symbolic link to libQt5Core.so.5.9.5


Output of ldd /usr/lib/virtualbox/VirtualBox.so | sort:



/lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 (0x00007f7ff093a000)
libasn1.so.8 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libasn1.so.8 (0x00007f7fe3f24000)
libbsd.so.0 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libbsd.so.0 (0x00007f7fe9c5e000)
libcom_err.so.2 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libcom_err.so.2 (0x00007f7fe52ea000)
libcrypto.so.1.1 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libcrypto.so.1.1 (0x00007f7fea9e1000)
libcrypt.so.1 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libcrypt.so.1 (0x00007f7febb26000)
libc.so.6 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6 (0x00007f7fec86e000)
libcurl-gnutls.so.4 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libcurl-gnutls.so.4 (0x00007f7feb0c3000)
libdl.so.2 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libdl.so.2 (0x00007f7fef306000)
libdouble-conversion.so.1 => not found
libffi.so.6 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libffi.so.6 (0x00007f7fe4860000)
libgcc_s.so.1 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgcc_s.so.1 (0x00007f7fecc5f000)
libGLdispatch.so.0 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libGLdispatch.so.0 (0x00007f7febf7d000)
libglib-2.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libglib-2.0.so.0 (0x00007f7fe9e73000)
libGL.so.1 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libGL.so.1 (0x00007f7fef50a000)
libGLX.so.0 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libGLX.so.0 (0x00007f7fec233000)
libgmp.so.10 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgmp.so.10 (0x00007f7fe5f38000)
libgnutls.so.30 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgnutls.so.30 (0x00007f7fe8c31000)
libgssapi_krb5.so.2 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgssapi_krb5.so.2 (0x00007f7fe89e6000)
libgssapi.so.3 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgssapi.so.3 (0x00007f7fe4a68000)
libhcrypto.so.4 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libhcrypto.so.4 (0x00007f7fe3cee000)
libheimbase.so.1 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libheimbase.so.1 (0x00007f7fe36a0000)
libheimntlm.so.0 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libheimntlm.so.0 (0x00007f7fe4453000)
libhogweed.so.4 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libhogweed.so.4 (0x00007f7fe61b9000)
libhx509.so.5 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libhx509.so.5 (0x00007f7fe3456000)
libicudata.so.60 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libicudata.so.60 (0x00007f7fe69dd000)
libicui18n.so.60 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libicui18n.so.60 (0x00007f7fea540000)
libicuuc.so.60 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libicuuc.so.60 (0x00007f7fea189000)
libidn2.so.0 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libidn2.so.0 (0x00007f7fe95f6000)
libk5crypto.so.3 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libk5crypto.so.3 (0x00007f7fe54ee000)
libkeyutils.so.1 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libkeyutils.so.1 (0x00007f7fe465c000)
libkrb5.so.26 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libkrb5.so.26 (0x00007f7fe41c6000)
libkrb5.so.3 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libkrb5.so.3 (0x00007f7fe5720000)
libkrb5support.so.0 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libkrb5support.so.0 (0x00007f7fe50df000)
liblber-2.4.so.2 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/liblber-2.4.so.2 (0x00007f7fe8586000)
libldap_r-2.4.so.2 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libldap_r-2.4.so.2 (0x00007f7fe8794000)
liblzma.so.5 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/liblzma.so.5 (0x00007f7fe9a38000)
libm.so.6 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libm.so.6 (0x00007f7fece77000)
libnettle.so.6 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libnettle.so.6 (0x00007f7fe8f96000)
libnghttp2.so.14 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libnghttp2.so.14 (0x00007f7fe9813000)
libp11-kit.so.0 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libp11-kit.so.0 (0x00007f7fe5c09000)
libpcre.so.3 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpcre.so.3 (0x00007f7fe676b000)
libpsl.so.5 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpsl.so.5 (0x00007f7fe91cc000)
libpthread.so.0 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpthread.so.0 (0x00007f7febd5e000)
libQt5Core.so.5 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libQt5Core.so.5 (0x00007f7feda69000)
libQt5Gui.so.5 => not found
libQt5Gui.so.5 => not found
libQt5Gui.so.5 => not found
libQt5Gui.so.5 => not found
libQt5OpenGL.so.5 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libQt5OpenGL.so.5 (0x00007f7fed5a3000)
libQt5PrintSupport.so.5 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libQt5PrintSupport.so.5 (0x00007f7fed7fa000)
libQt5Widgets.so.5 => not found
libQt5Widgets.so.5 => not found
libQt5Widgets.so.5 => not found
libQt5X11Extras.so.5 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libQt5X11Extras.so.5 (0x00007f7fee1b4000)
libresolv.so.2 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libresolv.so.2 (0x00007f7fe4ec4000)
libroken.so.18 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libroken.so.18 (0x00007f7fe3ad8000)
librtmp.so.1 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/librtmp.so.1 (0x00007f7fe93da000)
librt.so.1 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/librt.so.1 (0x00007f7feb701000)
libsasl2.so.2 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libsasl2.so.2 (0x00007f7fe4ca9000)
libsqlite3.so.0 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libsqlite3.so.0 (0x00007f7fe314d000)
libssl.so.1.1 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libssl.so.1.1 (0x00007f7feae59000)
libstdc++.so.6 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6 (0x00007f7fed215000)
libtasn1.so.6 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libtasn1.so.6 (0x00007f7fe59f6000)
libunistring.so.2 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libunistring.so.2 (0x00007f7fe63ed000)
libwind.so.0 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libwind.so.0 (0x00007f7fe38af000)
libX11.so.6 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libX11.so.6 (0x00007f7fee6d3000)
libXau.so.6 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libXau.so.6 (0x00007f7fec66a000)
libxcb.so.1 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libxcb.so.1 (0x00007f7fef796000)
libXdmcp.so.6 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libXdmcp.so.6 (0x00007f7fec464000)
libXext.so.6 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libXext.so.6 (0x00007f7feea0c000)
libXinerama.so.1 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libXinerama.so.1 (0x00007f7fef9be000)
libxml2.so.2 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libxml2.so.2 (0x00007f7feb340000)
libz.so.1 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libz.so.1 (0x00007f7feb909000)
linux-vdso.so.1 (0x00007ffce770a000)
VBoxKeyboard.so => /usr/lib/virtualbox/VBoxKeyboard.so (0x00007f7fef0f5000)
VBoxRT.so => /usr/lib/virtualbox/VBoxRT.so (0x00007f7feec1e000)
VBoxXPCOM.so => /usr/lib/virtualbox/VBoxXPCOM.so (0x00007f7fee3b8000)








share|improve this question












share|improve this question




share|improve this question








edited Jun 6 at 21:48
























asked Jun 6 at 21:02









Clayton McCray

12




12











  • Welcome to Ask Ubuntu! Looks like a package may be corrupted. Could you please run sudo apt install --reinstall libqt5core5a and try again? If that fails please edit your question to also include the output of apt-cache policy virtualbox-qt libqt5core5a. Thanks.
    – David Foerster
    Jun 6 at 21:32










  • Updated with requested information.
    – Clayton McCray
    Jun 6 at 21:38






  • 1




    Why not install VB from virtualbox.org? It installs and works well.
    – Pilot6
    Jun 6 at 21:39






  • 1




    @DavidFoerster It is in some other world ;-) I don't think they test it. In many releases it doesn't even install. This is not the first time. But the VB people built a special deb for bionic.
    – Pilot6
    Jun 6 at 21:42






  • 1




    Yes, they might be related. Are there any other previous errors, customizations, or other backstory we should know about?
    – user535733
    Jun 7 at 3:23
















  • Welcome to Ask Ubuntu! Looks like a package may be corrupted. Could you please run sudo apt install --reinstall libqt5core5a and try again? If that fails please edit your question to also include the output of apt-cache policy virtualbox-qt libqt5core5a. Thanks.
    – David Foerster
    Jun 6 at 21:32










  • Updated with requested information.
    – Clayton McCray
    Jun 6 at 21:38






  • 1




    Why not install VB from virtualbox.org? It installs and works well.
    – Pilot6
    Jun 6 at 21:39






  • 1




    @DavidFoerster It is in some other world ;-) I don't think they test it. In many releases it doesn't even install. This is not the first time. But the VB people built a special deb for bionic.
    – Pilot6
    Jun 6 at 21:42






  • 1




    Yes, they might be related. Are there any other previous errors, customizations, or other backstory we should know about?
    – user535733
    Jun 7 at 3:23















Welcome to Ask Ubuntu! Looks like a package may be corrupted. Could you please run sudo apt install --reinstall libqt5core5a and try again? If that fails please edit your question to also include the output of apt-cache policy virtualbox-qt libqt5core5a. Thanks.
– David Foerster
Jun 6 at 21:32




Welcome to Ask Ubuntu! Looks like a package may be corrupted. Could you please run sudo apt install --reinstall libqt5core5a and try again? If that fails please edit your question to also include the output of apt-cache policy virtualbox-qt libqt5core5a. Thanks.
– David Foerster
Jun 6 at 21:32












Updated with requested information.
– Clayton McCray
Jun 6 at 21:38




Updated with requested information.
– Clayton McCray
Jun 6 at 21:38




1




1




Why not install VB from virtualbox.org? It installs and works well.
– Pilot6
Jun 6 at 21:39




Why not install VB from virtualbox.org? It installs and works well.
– Pilot6
Jun 6 at 21:39




1




1




@DavidFoerster It is in some other world ;-) I don't think they test it. In many releases it doesn't even install. This is not the first time. But the VB people built a special deb for bionic.
– Pilot6
Jun 6 at 21:42




@DavidFoerster It is in some other world ;-) I don't think they test it. In many releases it doesn't even install. This is not the first time. But the VB people built a special deb for bionic.
– Pilot6
Jun 6 at 21:42




1




1




Yes, they might be related. Are there any other previous errors, customizations, or other backstory we should know about?
– user535733
Jun 7 at 3:23




Yes, they might be related. Are there any other previous errors, customizations, or other backstory we should know about?
– user535733
Jun 7 at 3:23










1 Answer
1






active

oldest

votes

















up vote
0
down vote



accepted










I figured it out. Basically, I had to do sudo apt install --reinstall package on a lot of different packages until it finally worked. I really have no idea why, but just installing the necessary packages wasn't enough. I had to install then reinstall. Personally, I did:



  1. sudo apt install --reinstall libqt5*

  2. sudo apt install --reinstall libdouble-conversion*

  3. I then got an error saying the xcb plugin wasn't working, and based on the output of ldd /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libQt5XcbQpa.so I did:

  4. sudo apt install libxcb-xinerama0*

  5. sudo apt install --reinstall libxcb-xinerama0*

and then it VirtualBox began to work. For anyone who read my comments about gparted also not working, a similar process got that up and running as well. This seems like stuff that should be handled by the package manager.






share|improve this answer





















    Your Answer







    StackExchange.ready(function()
    var channelOptions =
    tags: "".split(" "),
    id: "89"
    ;
    initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

    StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
    // Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
    if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
    StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
    createEditor();
    );

    else
    createEditor();

    );

    function createEditor()
    StackExchange.prepareEditor(
    heartbeatType: 'answer',
    convertImagesToLinks: true,
    noModals: false,
    showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
    reputationToPostImages: 10,
    bindNavPrevention: true,
    postfix: "",
    onDemand: true,
    discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
    ,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
    );



    );








     

    draft saved


    draft discarded


















    StackExchange.ready(
    function ()
    StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1044292%2fvirtualbox-will-not-install-on-fresh-copy-of-ubuntu-18-04%23new-answer', 'question_page');

    );

    Post as a guest






























    1 Answer
    1






    active

    oldest

    votes








    1 Answer
    1






    active

    oldest

    votes









    active

    oldest

    votes






    active

    oldest

    votes








    up vote
    0
    down vote



    accepted










    I figured it out. Basically, I had to do sudo apt install --reinstall package on a lot of different packages until it finally worked. I really have no idea why, but just installing the necessary packages wasn't enough. I had to install then reinstall. Personally, I did:



    1. sudo apt install --reinstall libqt5*

    2. sudo apt install --reinstall libdouble-conversion*

    3. I then got an error saying the xcb plugin wasn't working, and based on the output of ldd /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libQt5XcbQpa.so I did:

    4. sudo apt install libxcb-xinerama0*

    5. sudo apt install --reinstall libxcb-xinerama0*

    and then it VirtualBox began to work. For anyone who read my comments about gparted also not working, a similar process got that up and running as well. This seems like stuff that should be handled by the package manager.






    share|improve this answer

























      up vote
      0
      down vote



      accepted










      I figured it out. Basically, I had to do sudo apt install --reinstall package on a lot of different packages until it finally worked. I really have no idea why, but just installing the necessary packages wasn't enough. I had to install then reinstall. Personally, I did:



      1. sudo apt install --reinstall libqt5*

      2. sudo apt install --reinstall libdouble-conversion*

      3. I then got an error saying the xcb plugin wasn't working, and based on the output of ldd /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libQt5XcbQpa.so I did:

      4. sudo apt install libxcb-xinerama0*

      5. sudo apt install --reinstall libxcb-xinerama0*

      and then it VirtualBox began to work. For anyone who read my comments about gparted also not working, a similar process got that up and running as well. This seems like stuff that should be handled by the package manager.






      share|improve this answer























        up vote
        0
        down vote



        accepted







        up vote
        0
        down vote



        accepted






        I figured it out. Basically, I had to do sudo apt install --reinstall package on a lot of different packages until it finally worked. I really have no idea why, but just installing the necessary packages wasn't enough. I had to install then reinstall. Personally, I did:



        1. sudo apt install --reinstall libqt5*

        2. sudo apt install --reinstall libdouble-conversion*

        3. I then got an error saying the xcb plugin wasn't working, and based on the output of ldd /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libQt5XcbQpa.so I did:

        4. sudo apt install libxcb-xinerama0*

        5. sudo apt install --reinstall libxcb-xinerama0*

        and then it VirtualBox began to work. For anyone who read my comments about gparted also not working, a similar process got that up and running as well. This seems like stuff that should be handled by the package manager.






        share|improve this answer













        I figured it out. Basically, I had to do sudo apt install --reinstall package on a lot of different packages until it finally worked. I really have no idea why, but just installing the necessary packages wasn't enough. I had to install then reinstall. Personally, I did:



        1. sudo apt install --reinstall libqt5*

        2. sudo apt install --reinstall libdouble-conversion*

        3. I then got an error saying the xcb plugin wasn't working, and based on the output of ldd /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libQt5XcbQpa.so I did:

        4. sudo apt install libxcb-xinerama0*

        5. sudo apt install --reinstall libxcb-xinerama0*

        and then it VirtualBox began to work. For anyone who read my comments about gparted also not working, a similar process got that up and running as well. This seems like stuff that should be handled by the package manager.







        share|improve this answer













        share|improve this answer



        share|improve this answer











        answered Jun 11 at 5:14









        Clayton McCray

        12




        12






















             

            draft saved


            draft discarded


























             


            draft saved


            draft discarded














            StackExchange.ready(
            function ()
            StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1044292%2fvirtualbox-will-not-install-on-fresh-copy-of-ubuntu-18-04%23new-answer', 'question_page');

            );

            Post as a guest













































































            Popular posts from this blog

            Which professions warranted travel in Medieval times?

            How do so many people here on Academia.SE, and in general, afford lavish higher education programs?

            Trouble downloading packages list due to a “Hash sum mismatch” error