Open a port in ubuntu 17.10 for dosbox

The name of the pictureThe name of the pictureThe name of the pictureClash Royale CLAN TAG#URR8PPP








up vote
0
down vote

favorite
1












I am trying to open a port in Ubuntu 17.10, but first some background.



For the last 16 hours I've been working on getting a BBS mailer set up under dosbox. In my dosbox conf, I have set up "serial1=modem listenport:601" to listen on port 601. To test this, I was able to open a terminal and do "telnet localhost 601" and I could connect everytime. The moment I try to open the port in iptables and in ufw (I found out how from stack exchange) now the port seems to be closed and dosbox reports "Serial1: Modem could not open TCP port 601."



But this worked all day until I opened the ports.



Here is what iptables and ufw are reporting:



iptables -L | grep 601



ACCEPT tcp -- anywhere anywhere tcp dpt:601



ACCEPT udp -- anywhere anywhere udp dpt:601



ufw status
Status: active



To Action From
-- ------ ----
601 ALLOW Anywhere

601 (v6) ALLOW Anywhere (v6)



So my question is two-fold:



1) why did this work before I opened the port but now won't work when the port is open?
2) How do I make it work?



My end goal is to be able to access the BBS mailer from outside my network, but for now I just need to test locally with ports open. (after this, my next step is to get a dynamic dns so I can begin testing from outside the network)










share|improve this question

























    up vote
    0
    down vote

    favorite
    1












    I am trying to open a port in Ubuntu 17.10, but first some background.



    For the last 16 hours I've been working on getting a BBS mailer set up under dosbox. In my dosbox conf, I have set up "serial1=modem listenport:601" to listen on port 601. To test this, I was able to open a terminal and do "telnet localhost 601" and I could connect everytime. The moment I try to open the port in iptables and in ufw (I found out how from stack exchange) now the port seems to be closed and dosbox reports "Serial1: Modem could not open TCP port 601."



    But this worked all day until I opened the ports.



    Here is what iptables and ufw are reporting:



    iptables -L | grep 601



    ACCEPT tcp -- anywhere anywhere tcp dpt:601



    ACCEPT udp -- anywhere anywhere udp dpt:601



    ufw status
    Status: active



    To Action From
    -- ------ ----
    601 ALLOW Anywhere

    601 (v6) ALLOW Anywhere (v6)



    So my question is two-fold:



    1) why did this work before I opened the port but now won't work when the port is open?
    2) How do I make it work?



    My end goal is to be able to access the BBS mailer from outside my network, but for now I just need to test locally with ports open. (after this, my next step is to get a dynamic dns so I can begin testing from outside the network)










    share|improve this question























      up vote
      0
      down vote

      favorite
      1









      up vote
      0
      down vote

      favorite
      1






      1





      I am trying to open a port in Ubuntu 17.10, but first some background.



      For the last 16 hours I've been working on getting a BBS mailer set up under dosbox. In my dosbox conf, I have set up "serial1=modem listenport:601" to listen on port 601. To test this, I was able to open a terminal and do "telnet localhost 601" and I could connect everytime. The moment I try to open the port in iptables and in ufw (I found out how from stack exchange) now the port seems to be closed and dosbox reports "Serial1: Modem could not open TCP port 601."



      But this worked all day until I opened the ports.



      Here is what iptables and ufw are reporting:



      iptables -L | grep 601



      ACCEPT tcp -- anywhere anywhere tcp dpt:601



      ACCEPT udp -- anywhere anywhere udp dpt:601



      ufw status
      Status: active



      To Action From
      -- ------ ----
      601 ALLOW Anywhere

      601 (v6) ALLOW Anywhere (v6)



      So my question is two-fold:



      1) why did this work before I opened the port but now won't work when the port is open?
      2) How do I make it work?



      My end goal is to be able to access the BBS mailer from outside my network, but for now I just need to test locally with ports open. (after this, my next step is to get a dynamic dns so I can begin testing from outside the network)










      share|improve this question













      I am trying to open a port in Ubuntu 17.10, but first some background.



      For the last 16 hours I've been working on getting a BBS mailer set up under dosbox. In my dosbox conf, I have set up "serial1=modem listenport:601" to listen on port 601. To test this, I was able to open a terminal and do "telnet localhost 601" and I could connect everytime. The moment I try to open the port in iptables and in ufw (I found out how from stack exchange) now the port seems to be closed and dosbox reports "Serial1: Modem could not open TCP port 601."



      But this worked all day until I opened the ports.



      Here is what iptables and ufw are reporting:



      iptables -L | grep 601



      ACCEPT tcp -- anywhere anywhere tcp dpt:601



      ACCEPT udp -- anywhere anywhere udp dpt:601



      ufw status
      Status: active



      To Action From
      -- ------ ----
      601 ALLOW Anywhere

      601 (v6) ALLOW Anywhere (v6)



      So my question is two-fold:



      1) why did this work before I opened the port but now won't work when the port is open?
      2) How do I make it work?



      My end goal is to be able to access the BBS mailer from outside my network, but for now I just need to test locally with ports open. (after this, my next step is to get a dynamic dns so I can begin testing from outside the network)







      iptables ufw telnet dosbox






      share|improve this question













      share|improve this question











      share|improve this question




      share|improve this question










      asked Feb 20 at 3:40









      James

      113




      113




















          1 Answer
          1






          active

          oldest

          votes

















          up vote
          0
          down vote













          By using UFW you don't need to take care of iptables. UFW will to this for you.



          So here's one possible explanation what could have happened:



          • UFW was not active at the time when testing with telnet.

          • Then you started UFW and the default ufw rule is deny or drop incoming traffic.

          • Then you've opened the port 601 for udp/tcp, but only for IPv6 by accident.

          • Now telnet does not work anymore, as you connect via IPv4 and your connection get's dropped/denied according to your ufw settings.

          But it's not that important to find out why it did work before. More important is to make it work again, I guess. You can do so, by adding the correct UFW rules:



          sudo ufw allow proto tcp from any to any port 601


          And then check ufw settings with:



           sudo ufw status verbose


          The output from this command should look like this, for example:



          Status: active
          Logging: on (low)
          Default: deny (incoming), allow (outgoing), disabled (routed)
          New profiles: skip

          To Action From
          -- ------ ----
          601/tcp ALLOW IN Anywhere
          601/tcp (v6) ALLOW IN Anywhere (v6)


          Then it should work again.






          share|improve this answer




















            Your Answer







            StackExchange.ready(function()
            var channelOptions =
            tags: "".split(" "),
            id: "89"
            ;
            initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

            StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
            // Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
            if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
            StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
            createEditor();
            );

            else
            createEditor();

            );

            function createEditor()
            StackExchange.prepareEditor(
            heartbeatType: 'answer',
            convertImagesToLinks: true,
            noModals: false,
            showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
            reputationToPostImages: 10,
            bindNavPrevention: true,
            postfix: "",
            onDemand: true,
            discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
            ,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
            );



            );













             

            draft saved


            draft discarded


















            StackExchange.ready(
            function ()
            StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1007892%2fopen-a-port-in-ubuntu-17-10-for-dosbox%23new-answer', 'question_page');

            );

            Post as a guest






























            1 Answer
            1






            active

            oldest

            votes








            1 Answer
            1






            active

            oldest

            votes









            active

            oldest

            votes






            active

            oldest

            votes








            up vote
            0
            down vote













            By using UFW you don't need to take care of iptables. UFW will to this for you.



            So here's one possible explanation what could have happened:



            • UFW was not active at the time when testing with telnet.

            • Then you started UFW and the default ufw rule is deny or drop incoming traffic.

            • Then you've opened the port 601 for udp/tcp, but only for IPv6 by accident.

            • Now telnet does not work anymore, as you connect via IPv4 and your connection get's dropped/denied according to your ufw settings.

            But it's not that important to find out why it did work before. More important is to make it work again, I guess. You can do so, by adding the correct UFW rules:



            sudo ufw allow proto tcp from any to any port 601


            And then check ufw settings with:



             sudo ufw status verbose


            The output from this command should look like this, for example:



            Status: active
            Logging: on (low)
            Default: deny (incoming), allow (outgoing), disabled (routed)
            New profiles: skip

            To Action From
            -- ------ ----
            601/tcp ALLOW IN Anywhere
            601/tcp (v6) ALLOW IN Anywhere (v6)


            Then it should work again.






            share|improve this answer
























              up vote
              0
              down vote













              By using UFW you don't need to take care of iptables. UFW will to this for you.



              So here's one possible explanation what could have happened:



              • UFW was not active at the time when testing with telnet.

              • Then you started UFW and the default ufw rule is deny or drop incoming traffic.

              • Then you've opened the port 601 for udp/tcp, but only for IPv6 by accident.

              • Now telnet does not work anymore, as you connect via IPv4 and your connection get's dropped/denied according to your ufw settings.

              But it's not that important to find out why it did work before. More important is to make it work again, I guess. You can do so, by adding the correct UFW rules:



              sudo ufw allow proto tcp from any to any port 601


              And then check ufw settings with:



               sudo ufw status verbose


              The output from this command should look like this, for example:



              Status: active
              Logging: on (low)
              Default: deny (incoming), allow (outgoing), disabled (routed)
              New profiles: skip

              To Action From
              -- ------ ----
              601/tcp ALLOW IN Anywhere
              601/tcp (v6) ALLOW IN Anywhere (v6)


              Then it should work again.






              share|improve this answer






















                up vote
                0
                down vote










                up vote
                0
                down vote









                By using UFW you don't need to take care of iptables. UFW will to this for you.



                So here's one possible explanation what could have happened:



                • UFW was not active at the time when testing with telnet.

                • Then you started UFW and the default ufw rule is deny or drop incoming traffic.

                • Then you've opened the port 601 for udp/tcp, but only for IPv6 by accident.

                • Now telnet does not work anymore, as you connect via IPv4 and your connection get's dropped/denied according to your ufw settings.

                But it's not that important to find out why it did work before. More important is to make it work again, I guess. You can do so, by adding the correct UFW rules:



                sudo ufw allow proto tcp from any to any port 601


                And then check ufw settings with:



                 sudo ufw status verbose


                The output from this command should look like this, for example:



                Status: active
                Logging: on (low)
                Default: deny (incoming), allow (outgoing), disabled (routed)
                New profiles: skip

                To Action From
                -- ------ ----
                601/tcp ALLOW IN Anywhere
                601/tcp (v6) ALLOW IN Anywhere (v6)


                Then it should work again.






                share|improve this answer












                By using UFW you don't need to take care of iptables. UFW will to this for you.



                So here's one possible explanation what could have happened:



                • UFW was not active at the time when testing with telnet.

                • Then you started UFW and the default ufw rule is deny or drop incoming traffic.

                • Then you've opened the port 601 for udp/tcp, but only for IPv6 by accident.

                • Now telnet does not work anymore, as you connect via IPv4 and your connection get's dropped/denied according to your ufw settings.

                But it's not that important to find out why it did work before. More important is to make it work again, I guess. You can do so, by adding the correct UFW rules:



                sudo ufw allow proto tcp from any to any port 601


                And then check ufw settings with:



                 sudo ufw status verbose


                The output from this command should look like this, for example:



                Status: active
                Logging: on (low)
                Default: deny (incoming), allow (outgoing), disabled (routed)
                New profiles: skip

                To Action From
                -- ------ ----
                601/tcp ALLOW IN Anywhere
                601/tcp (v6) ALLOW IN Anywhere (v6)


                Then it should work again.







                share|improve this answer












                share|improve this answer



                share|improve this answer










                answered Feb 28 at 15:53









                Bob

                2765




                2765



























                     

                    draft saved


                    draft discarded















































                     


                    draft saved


                    draft discarded














                    StackExchange.ready(
                    function ()
                    StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1007892%2fopen-a-port-in-ubuntu-17-10-for-dosbox%23new-answer', 'question_page');

                    );

                    Post as a guest













































































                    Popular posts from this blog

                    Which professions warranted travel in Medieval times?

                    How do so many people here on Academia.SE, and in general, afford lavish higher education programs?

                    Trouble downloading packages list due to a “Hash sum mismatch” error