Ubuntu update for 27 Feb 2018 failed

The name of the pictureThe name of the pictureThe name of the pictureClash Royale CLAN TAG#URR8PPP








up vote
0
down vote

favorite












Today's update of Ubuntu failed and left me with a system that boots to a GRUB prompt :



grub>


If I type exit I get another grub prompt.



If I type ls I get a message saying:



There was a failure reading from sector 0xfc on hd01.


I sense this is not good. What should I do?










share|improve this question























  • I had a similar problem and fixed it by typing 'normal` at the grub prompt.
    – John Anderson
    Feb 27 at 21:52










  • I'd be worried its a warning sign for a hardware-failure (present or future), so would stop trying to use your hdd/boot-device to avoid stressing it. I'd boot a live distro (eg. ubuntu install media) & use smartctl etc to view the status of your drives to check out its not hardware. Only when satisfied your hardware is okay, would I try and 'fix'... (if hardware is dying, the more you do, the less you'll be able to get off easily..)
    – guiverc
    Feb 28 at 0:50






  • 1




    @guiverc because two people had the same problem after updates on Feb 27/2018 doesn't that point more to a software problem rather than hardware? You could be right given the sector message but I'd like to hear more about John Anderson's problem.
    – WinEunuuchs2Unix
    Feb 28 at 1:39











  • @WinEunuuchs2Unix, I believe my problem was caused by an upgrade to grub version 2.02~beta2-36ubuntu3.16. I'm not 100% sure how I ended up at the grub prompt ( I let the update run and wasn't watching it closely). It may or may not have rebooted to get there. At the grub prompt I tried several commands like 'halt', 'boot', 'reboot', all of which resulted in rebooting into the grub prompt. I finally tried the normal command, and that got me to the familiar grub boot menu, and it has been working fine ever since.
    – John Anderson
    Feb 28 at 3:31










  • @JohnAnderson Thank you for your recollections. I think it would be a worthwhile answer for others. Can you confirm if the timing of your update was close to OP's date?
    – WinEunuuchs2Unix
    Feb 28 at 3:50














up vote
0
down vote

favorite












Today's update of Ubuntu failed and left me with a system that boots to a GRUB prompt :



grub>


If I type exit I get another grub prompt.



If I type ls I get a message saying:



There was a failure reading from sector 0xfc on hd01.


I sense this is not good. What should I do?










share|improve this question























  • I had a similar problem and fixed it by typing 'normal` at the grub prompt.
    – John Anderson
    Feb 27 at 21:52










  • I'd be worried its a warning sign for a hardware-failure (present or future), so would stop trying to use your hdd/boot-device to avoid stressing it. I'd boot a live distro (eg. ubuntu install media) & use smartctl etc to view the status of your drives to check out its not hardware. Only when satisfied your hardware is okay, would I try and 'fix'... (if hardware is dying, the more you do, the less you'll be able to get off easily..)
    – guiverc
    Feb 28 at 0:50






  • 1




    @guiverc because two people had the same problem after updates on Feb 27/2018 doesn't that point more to a software problem rather than hardware? You could be right given the sector message but I'd like to hear more about John Anderson's problem.
    – WinEunuuchs2Unix
    Feb 28 at 1:39











  • @WinEunuuchs2Unix, I believe my problem was caused by an upgrade to grub version 2.02~beta2-36ubuntu3.16. I'm not 100% sure how I ended up at the grub prompt ( I let the update run and wasn't watching it closely). It may or may not have rebooted to get there. At the grub prompt I tried several commands like 'halt', 'boot', 'reboot', all of which resulted in rebooting into the grub prompt. I finally tried the normal command, and that got me to the familiar grub boot menu, and it has been working fine ever since.
    – John Anderson
    Feb 28 at 3:31










  • @JohnAnderson Thank you for your recollections. I think it would be a worthwhile answer for others. Can you confirm if the timing of your update was close to OP's date?
    – WinEunuuchs2Unix
    Feb 28 at 3:50












up vote
0
down vote

favorite









up vote
0
down vote

favorite











Today's update of Ubuntu failed and left me with a system that boots to a GRUB prompt :



grub>


If I type exit I get another grub prompt.



If I type ls I get a message saying:



There was a failure reading from sector 0xfc on hd01.


I sense this is not good. What should I do?










share|improve this question















Today's update of Ubuntu failed and left me with a system that boots to a GRUB prompt :



grub>


If I type exit I get another grub prompt.



If I type ls I get a message saying:



There was a failure reading from sector 0xfc on hd01.


I sense this is not good. What should I do?







16.04 boot grub2






share|improve this question















share|improve this question













share|improve this question




share|improve this question








edited Feb 28 at 2:58









galoget

2,1062820




2,1062820










asked Feb 27 at 21:48









Clark Allen

1




1











  • I had a similar problem and fixed it by typing 'normal` at the grub prompt.
    – John Anderson
    Feb 27 at 21:52










  • I'd be worried its a warning sign for a hardware-failure (present or future), so would stop trying to use your hdd/boot-device to avoid stressing it. I'd boot a live distro (eg. ubuntu install media) & use smartctl etc to view the status of your drives to check out its not hardware. Only when satisfied your hardware is okay, would I try and 'fix'... (if hardware is dying, the more you do, the less you'll be able to get off easily..)
    – guiverc
    Feb 28 at 0:50






  • 1




    @guiverc because two people had the same problem after updates on Feb 27/2018 doesn't that point more to a software problem rather than hardware? You could be right given the sector message but I'd like to hear more about John Anderson's problem.
    – WinEunuuchs2Unix
    Feb 28 at 1:39











  • @WinEunuuchs2Unix, I believe my problem was caused by an upgrade to grub version 2.02~beta2-36ubuntu3.16. I'm not 100% sure how I ended up at the grub prompt ( I let the update run and wasn't watching it closely). It may or may not have rebooted to get there. At the grub prompt I tried several commands like 'halt', 'boot', 'reboot', all of which resulted in rebooting into the grub prompt. I finally tried the normal command, and that got me to the familiar grub boot menu, and it has been working fine ever since.
    – John Anderson
    Feb 28 at 3:31










  • @JohnAnderson Thank you for your recollections. I think it would be a worthwhile answer for others. Can you confirm if the timing of your update was close to OP's date?
    – WinEunuuchs2Unix
    Feb 28 at 3:50
















  • I had a similar problem and fixed it by typing 'normal` at the grub prompt.
    – John Anderson
    Feb 27 at 21:52










  • I'd be worried its a warning sign for a hardware-failure (present or future), so would stop trying to use your hdd/boot-device to avoid stressing it. I'd boot a live distro (eg. ubuntu install media) & use smartctl etc to view the status of your drives to check out its not hardware. Only when satisfied your hardware is okay, would I try and 'fix'... (if hardware is dying, the more you do, the less you'll be able to get off easily..)
    – guiverc
    Feb 28 at 0:50






  • 1




    @guiverc because two people had the same problem after updates on Feb 27/2018 doesn't that point more to a software problem rather than hardware? You could be right given the sector message but I'd like to hear more about John Anderson's problem.
    – WinEunuuchs2Unix
    Feb 28 at 1:39











  • @WinEunuuchs2Unix, I believe my problem was caused by an upgrade to grub version 2.02~beta2-36ubuntu3.16. I'm not 100% sure how I ended up at the grub prompt ( I let the update run and wasn't watching it closely). It may or may not have rebooted to get there. At the grub prompt I tried several commands like 'halt', 'boot', 'reboot', all of which resulted in rebooting into the grub prompt. I finally tried the normal command, and that got me to the familiar grub boot menu, and it has been working fine ever since.
    – John Anderson
    Feb 28 at 3:31










  • @JohnAnderson Thank you for your recollections. I think it would be a worthwhile answer for others. Can you confirm if the timing of your update was close to OP's date?
    – WinEunuuchs2Unix
    Feb 28 at 3:50















I had a similar problem and fixed it by typing 'normal` at the grub prompt.
– John Anderson
Feb 27 at 21:52




I had a similar problem and fixed it by typing 'normal` at the grub prompt.
– John Anderson
Feb 27 at 21:52












I'd be worried its a warning sign for a hardware-failure (present or future), so would stop trying to use your hdd/boot-device to avoid stressing it. I'd boot a live distro (eg. ubuntu install media) & use smartctl etc to view the status of your drives to check out its not hardware. Only when satisfied your hardware is okay, would I try and 'fix'... (if hardware is dying, the more you do, the less you'll be able to get off easily..)
– guiverc
Feb 28 at 0:50




I'd be worried its a warning sign for a hardware-failure (present or future), so would stop trying to use your hdd/boot-device to avoid stressing it. I'd boot a live distro (eg. ubuntu install media) & use smartctl etc to view the status of your drives to check out its not hardware. Only when satisfied your hardware is okay, would I try and 'fix'... (if hardware is dying, the more you do, the less you'll be able to get off easily..)
– guiverc
Feb 28 at 0:50




1




1




@guiverc because two people had the same problem after updates on Feb 27/2018 doesn't that point more to a software problem rather than hardware? You could be right given the sector message but I'd like to hear more about John Anderson's problem.
– WinEunuuchs2Unix
Feb 28 at 1:39





@guiverc because two people had the same problem after updates on Feb 27/2018 doesn't that point more to a software problem rather than hardware? You could be right given the sector message but I'd like to hear more about John Anderson's problem.
– WinEunuuchs2Unix
Feb 28 at 1:39













@WinEunuuchs2Unix, I believe my problem was caused by an upgrade to grub version 2.02~beta2-36ubuntu3.16. I'm not 100% sure how I ended up at the grub prompt ( I let the update run and wasn't watching it closely). It may or may not have rebooted to get there. At the grub prompt I tried several commands like 'halt', 'boot', 'reboot', all of which resulted in rebooting into the grub prompt. I finally tried the normal command, and that got me to the familiar grub boot menu, and it has been working fine ever since.
– John Anderson
Feb 28 at 3:31




@WinEunuuchs2Unix, I believe my problem was caused by an upgrade to grub version 2.02~beta2-36ubuntu3.16. I'm not 100% sure how I ended up at the grub prompt ( I let the update run and wasn't watching it closely). It may or may not have rebooted to get there. At the grub prompt I tried several commands like 'halt', 'boot', 'reboot', all of which resulted in rebooting into the grub prompt. I finally tried the normal command, and that got me to the familiar grub boot menu, and it has been working fine ever since.
– John Anderson
Feb 28 at 3:31












@JohnAnderson Thank you for your recollections. I think it would be a worthwhile answer for others. Can you confirm if the timing of your update was close to OP's date?
– WinEunuuchs2Unix
Feb 28 at 3:50




@JohnAnderson Thank you for your recollections. I think it would be a worthwhile answer for others. Can you confirm if the timing of your update was close to OP's date?
– WinEunuuchs2Unix
Feb 28 at 3:50










1 Answer
1






active

oldest

votes

















up vote
0
down vote













To fix this use boot-repair :



From a live usb, go to a terminal :



sudo apt-add-repository ppa:yannubuntu/boot-repair
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install -y boot-repair
boot-repair


Choose Recommend Repair to fix your boot problem.






share|improve this answer






















  • The first prompt shows a gnome-terminal and the next ones show a grub prompt. The first looks like after successful boot and the other looks like when you can't boot.
    – WinEunuuchs2Unix
    Feb 28 at 1:46










  • Fixed. indeed. For me its obvious. But to explain is different. Either way i have changed my answer.
    – An0n
    Feb 28 at 1:49










  • Yes I knew the different environments but the new people would be challenged.
    – WinEunuuchs2Unix
    Feb 28 at 1:50










  • Thank you. The steps given above worked for me. I am up and going again. You rock.
    – Clark Allen
    Mar 1 at 14:35










Your Answer







StackExchange.ready(function()
var channelOptions =
tags: "".split(" "),
id: "89"
;
initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
// Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
createEditor();
);

else
createEditor();

);

function createEditor()
StackExchange.prepareEditor(
heartbeatType: 'answer',
convertImagesToLinks: true,
noModals: false,
showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
reputationToPostImages: 10,
bindNavPrevention: true,
postfix: "",
onDemand: true,
discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
);



);













 

draft saved


draft discarded


















StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1010423%2fubuntu-update-for-27-feb-2018-failed%23new-answer', 'question_page');

);

Post as a guest






























1 Answer
1






active

oldest

votes








1 Answer
1






active

oldest

votes









active

oldest

votes






active

oldest

votes








up vote
0
down vote













To fix this use boot-repair :



From a live usb, go to a terminal :



sudo apt-add-repository ppa:yannubuntu/boot-repair
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install -y boot-repair
boot-repair


Choose Recommend Repair to fix your boot problem.






share|improve this answer






















  • The first prompt shows a gnome-terminal and the next ones show a grub prompt. The first looks like after successful boot and the other looks like when you can't boot.
    – WinEunuuchs2Unix
    Feb 28 at 1:46










  • Fixed. indeed. For me its obvious. But to explain is different. Either way i have changed my answer.
    – An0n
    Feb 28 at 1:49










  • Yes I knew the different environments but the new people would be challenged.
    – WinEunuuchs2Unix
    Feb 28 at 1:50










  • Thank you. The steps given above worked for me. I am up and going again. You rock.
    – Clark Allen
    Mar 1 at 14:35














up vote
0
down vote













To fix this use boot-repair :



From a live usb, go to a terminal :



sudo apt-add-repository ppa:yannubuntu/boot-repair
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install -y boot-repair
boot-repair


Choose Recommend Repair to fix your boot problem.






share|improve this answer






















  • The first prompt shows a gnome-terminal and the next ones show a grub prompt. The first looks like after successful boot and the other looks like when you can't boot.
    – WinEunuuchs2Unix
    Feb 28 at 1:46










  • Fixed. indeed. For me its obvious. But to explain is different. Either way i have changed my answer.
    – An0n
    Feb 28 at 1:49










  • Yes I knew the different environments but the new people would be challenged.
    – WinEunuuchs2Unix
    Feb 28 at 1:50










  • Thank you. The steps given above worked for me. I am up and going again. You rock.
    – Clark Allen
    Mar 1 at 14:35












up vote
0
down vote










up vote
0
down vote









To fix this use boot-repair :



From a live usb, go to a terminal :



sudo apt-add-repository ppa:yannubuntu/boot-repair
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install -y boot-repair
boot-repair


Choose Recommend Repair to fix your boot problem.






share|improve this answer














To fix this use boot-repair :



From a live usb, go to a terminal :



sudo apt-add-repository ppa:yannubuntu/boot-repair
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install -y boot-repair
boot-repair


Choose Recommend Repair to fix your boot problem.







share|improve this answer














share|improve this answer



share|improve this answer








edited Feb 28 at 1:48

























answered Feb 28 at 0:35









An0n

80418




80418











  • The first prompt shows a gnome-terminal and the next ones show a grub prompt. The first looks like after successful boot and the other looks like when you can't boot.
    – WinEunuuchs2Unix
    Feb 28 at 1:46










  • Fixed. indeed. For me its obvious. But to explain is different. Either way i have changed my answer.
    – An0n
    Feb 28 at 1:49










  • Yes I knew the different environments but the new people would be challenged.
    – WinEunuuchs2Unix
    Feb 28 at 1:50










  • Thank you. The steps given above worked for me. I am up and going again. You rock.
    – Clark Allen
    Mar 1 at 14:35
















  • The first prompt shows a gnome-terminal and the next ones show a grub prompt. The first looks like after successful boot and the other looks like when you can't boot.
    – WinEunuuchs2Unix
    Feb 28 at 1:46










  • Fixed. indeed. For me its obvious. But to explain is different. Either way i have changed my answer.
    – An0n
    Feb 28 at 1:49










  • Yes I knew the different environments but the new people would be challenged.
    – WinEunuuchs2Unix
    Feb 28 at 1:50










  • Thank you. The steps given above worked for me. I am up and going again. You rock.
    – Clark Allen
    Mar 1 at 14:35















The first prompt shows a gnome-terminal and the next ones show a grub prompt. The first looks like after successful boot and the other looks like when you can't boot.
– WinEunuuchs2Unix
Feb 28 at 1:46




The first prompt shows a gnome-terminal and the next ones show a grub prompt. The first looks like after successful boot and the other looks like when you can't boot.
– WinEunuuchs2Unix
Feb 28 at 1:46












Fixed. indeed. For me its obvious. But to explain is different. Either way i have changed my answer.
– An0n
Feb 28 at 1:49




Fixed. indeed. For me its obvious. But to explain is different. Either way i have changed my answer.
– An0n
Feb 28 at 1:49












Yes I knew the different environments but the new people would be challenged.
– WinEunuuchs2Unix
Feb 28 at 1:50




Yes I knew the different environments but the new people would be challenged.
– WinEunuuchs2Unix
Feb 28 at 1:50












Thank you. The steps given above worked for me. I am up and going again. You rock.
– Clark Allen
Mar 1 at 14:35




Thank you. The steps given above worked for me. I am up and going again. You rock.
– Clark Allen
Mar 1 at 14:35

















 

draft saved


draft discarded















































 


draft saved


draft discarded














StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1010423%2fubuntu-update-for-27-feb-2018-failed%23new-answer', 'question_page');

);

Post as a guest













































































Popular posts from this blog

Which professions warranted travel in Medieval times?

How do so many people here on Academia.SE, and in general, afford lavish higher education programs?

Trouble downloading packages list due to a “Hash sum mismatch” error