Command not giving any output

The name of the pictureThe name of the pictureThe name of the pictureClash Royale CLAN TAG#URR8PPP








up vote
0
down vote

favorite












ls /sys/class/backlight/

is not giving any output on my terminal. I have Ubuntu 17.10 dual booted alongside Windows 10 on my Alienware r3 15. I need to solve this issue to try to fix my main issue Unable to change the screen brightness given in the article https://itsfoss.com/fix-brightness-ubuntu-1310/. Kindly help me find a solution.







share|improve this question




















  • what video card do you have? do you have the drivers installed for it?
    – Joshua Besneatte
    May 13 at 20:53










  • I have an 'Intel(R) HD Graphics 630' and an 'Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060' on my system. lspci |grep -i vga only showed the Nvidia card though. You may check the output of sudo lshw -C display in my another question [askubuntu.com/questions/1028979/…. I am not sure if I have the drivers installed, at least I haven't installed them specifically. I am not sure if Ubuntu has installed it's own drivers for video cards or not @JoshuaBesneatte
    – Vaibhav Mishra
    May 14 at 21:20














up vote
0
down vote

favorite












ls /sys/class/backlight/

is not giving any output on my terminal. I have Ubuntu 17.10 dual booted alongside Windows 10 on my Alienware r3 15. I need to solve this issue to try to fix my main issue Unable to change the screen brightness given in the article https://itsfoss.com/fix-brightness-ubuntu-1310/. Kindly help me find a solution.







share|improve this question




















  • what video card do you have? do you have the drivers installed for it?
    – Joshua Besneatte
    May 13 at 20:53










  • I have an 'Intel(R) HD Graphics 630' and an 'Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060' on my system. lspci |grep -i vga only showed the Nvidia card though. You may check the output of sudo lshw -C display in my another question [askubuntu.com/questions/1028979/…. I am not sure if I have the drivers installed, at least I haven't installed them specifically. I am not sure if Ubuntu has installed it's own drivers for video cards or not @JoshuaBesneatte
    – Vaibhav Mishra
    May 14 at 21:20












up vote
0
down vote

favorite









up vote
0
down vote

favorite











ls /sys/class/backlight/

is not giving any output on my terminal. I have Ubuntu 17.10 dual booted alongside Windows 10 on my Alienware r3 15. I need to solve this issue to try to fix my main issue Unable to change the screen brightness given in the article https://itsfoss.com/fix-brightness-ubuntu-1310/. Kindly help me find a solution.







share|improve this question












ls /sys/class/backlight/

is not giving any output on my terminal. I have Ubuntu 17.10 dual booted alongside Windows 10 on my Alienware r3 15. I need to solve this issue to try to fix my main issue Unable to change the screen brightness given in the article https://itsfoss.com/fix-brightness-ubuntu-1310/. Kindly help me find a solution.









share|improve this question











share|improve this question




share|improve this question










asked May 13 at 20:31









Vaibhav Mishra

62




62











  • what video card do you have? do you have the drivers installed for it?
    – Joshua Besneatte
    May 13 at 20:53










  • I have an 'Intel(R) HD Graphics 630' and an 'Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060' on my system. lspci |grep -i vga only showed the Nvidia card though. You may check the output of sudo lshw -C display in my another question [askubuntu.com/questions/1028979/…. I am not sure if I have the drivers installed, at least I haven't installed them specifically. I am not sure if Ubuntu has installed it's own drivers for video cards or not @JoshuaBesneatte
    – Vaibhav Mishra
    May 14 at 21:20
















  • what video card do you have? do you have the drivers installed for it?
    – Joshua Besneatte
    May 13 at 20:53










  • I have an 'Intel(R) HD Graphics 630' and an 'Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060' on my system. lspci |grep -i vga only showed the Nvidia card though. You may check the output of sudo lshw -C display in my another question [askubuntu.com/questions/1028979/…. I am not sure if I have the drivers installed, at least I haven't installed them specifically. I am not sure if Ubuntu has installed it's own drivers for video cards or not @JoshuaBesneatte
    – Vaibhav Mishra
    May 14 at 21:20















what video card do you have? do you have the drivers installed for it?
– Joshua Besneatte
May 13 at 20:53




what video card do you have? do you have the drivers installed for it?
– Joshua Besneatte
May 13 at 20:53












I have an 'Intel(R) HD Graphics 630' and an 'Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060' on my system. lspci |grep -i vga only showed the Nvidia card though. You may check the output of sudo lshw -C display in my another question [askubuntu.com/questions/1028979/…. I am not sure if I have the drivers installed, at least I haven't installed them specifically. I am not sure if Ubuntu has installed it's own drivers for video cards or not @JoshuaBesneatte
– Vaibhav Mishra
May 14 at 21:20




I have an 'Intel(R) HD Graphics 630' and an 'Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060' on my system. lspci |grep -i vga only showed the Nvidia card though. You may check the output of sudo lshw -C display in my another question [askubuntu.com/questions/1028979/…. I am not sure if I have the drivers installed, at least I haven't installed them specifically. I am not sure if Ubuntu has installed it's own drivers for video cards or not @JoshuaBesneatte
– Vaibhav Mishra
May 14 at 21:20










1 Answer
1






active

oldest

votes

















up vote
0
down vote













That folder is empty for me too. Look for your card type with:



System Settings->Details->About



or from the command line



lspci |grep -i vga


and then you can find what driver you are using with:



lsmod


then update/create your config according to the link you posted






share|improve this answer




















    Your Answer







    StackExchange.ready(function()
    var channelOptions =
    tags: "".split(" "),
    id: "89"
    ;
    initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

    StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
    // Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
    if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
    StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
    createEditor();
    );

    else
    createEditor();

    );

    function createEditor()
    StackExchange.prepareEditor(
    heartbeatType: 'answer',
    convertImagesToLinks: true,
    noModals: false,
    showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
    reputationToPostImages: 10,
    bindNavPrevention: true,
    postfix: "",
    onDemand: true,
    discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
    ,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
    );



    );








     

    draft saved


    draft discarded


















    StackExchange.ready(
    function ()
    StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1035842%2fcommand-not-giving-any-output%23new-answer', 'question_page');

    );

    Post as a guest






























    1 Answer
    1






    active

    oldest

    votes








    1 Answer
    1






    active

    oldest

    votes









    active

    oldest

    votes






    active

    oldest

    votes








    up vote
    0
    down vote













    That folder is empty for me too. Look for your card type with:



    System Settings->Details->About



    or from the command line



    lspci |grep -i vga


    and then you can find what driver you are using with:



    lsmod


    then update/create your config according to the link you posted






    share|improve this answer
























      up vote
      0
      down vote













      That folder is empty for me too. Look for your card type with:



      System Settings->Details->About



      or from the command line



      lspci |grep -i vga


      and then you can find what driver you are using with:



      lsmod


      then update/create your config according to the link you posted






      share|improve this answer






















        up vote
        0
        down vote










        up vote
        0
        down vote









        That folder is empty for me too. Look for your card type with:



        System Settings->Details->About



        or from the command line



        lspci |grep -i vga


        and then you can find what driver you are using with:



        lsmod


        then update/create your config according to the link you posted






        share|improve this answer












        That folder is empty for me too. Look for your card type with:



        System Settings->Details->About



        or from the command line



        lspci |grep -i vga


        and then you can find what driver you are using with:



        lsmod


        then update/create your config according to the link you posted







        share|improve this answer












        share|improve this answer



        share|improve this answer










        answered May 13 at 20:47









        Joshua Besneatte

        1,494618




        1,494618






















             

            draft saved


            draft discarded


























             


            draft saved


            draft discarded














            StackExchange.ready(
            function ()
            StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1035842%2fcommand-not-giving-any-output%23new-answer', 'question_page');

            );

            Post as a guest













































































            Popular posts from this blog

            Which professions warranted travel in Medieval times?

            How do so many people here on Academia.SE, and in general, afford lavish higher education programs?

            Trouble downloading packages list due to a “Hash sum mismatch” error