Problem with ovs-dpdk and Mellanox NIC

The name of the pictureThe name of the pictureThe name of the pictureClash Royale CLAN TAG#URR8PPP








up vote
1
down vote

favorite












I'm facing some problem with DPDK on Ubuntu 16.04 with a Mellanox 40G NIC.



I'm not able to assign the NIC to an ovs (trying to use vfio-pci driver).



When I try to assign the NIC to the OVS with the following command:



ovs-vsctl add-port br0 ens1 -- set Interface ens1 type=dpdk options:dpdk-devargs=0000:07:00.0


I get the following log message:



Apr 17 15:26:43 olnmalp026Bn001 ovs-vsctl: ovs|00001|vsctl|INFO|Called as ovs-vsctl add-port br0 ens1 -- set Interface ens1 type=dpdk options:dpdk-devargs=0000:07:00.0
Apr 17 15:26:43 olnmalp026Bn001 ovs-vswitchd[56850]: ovs|00184|dpdk|ERR|EAL: Driver cannot attach the device (0000:07:00.0)
Apr 17 15:26:43 olnmalp026Bn001 ovs-vswitchd[56850]: ovs|00185|dpdk|ERR|EAL: No port found for device (0000:07:00.0)


The strangest thing I've noticed, is that if I run dpdk-procinfo, I get the following output:



root@olnmalp026Bn001:/home/sysadmin# dpdk-procinfo
EAL: Detected 56 lcore(s)
EAL: Probing VFIO support...
EAL: cannot connect to primary process!
EAL: VFIO support could not be initialized
EAL: PCI device 0000:02:00.0 on NUMA socket 0
EAL: probe driver: 8086:1521 net_e1000_igb
EAL: PCI device 0000:02:00.1 on NUMA socket 0
EAL: probe driver: 8086:1521 net_e1000_igb
dpdk-procinfo [EAL options] -- -p PORTMASK
-m to display DPDK memory zones, segments and TAILQ information
-p PORTMASK: hexadecimal bitmask of ports to retrieve stats for
--stats: to display port statistics, enabled by default
--xstats: to display extended port statistics, disabled by default
--metrics: to display derived metrics of the ports, disabled by default
--xstats-name NAME: to display single xstat id by NAME
--xstats-ids IDLIST: to display xstat values by id. The argument is comma-separated list of xstat ids to print out.
--stats-reset: to reset port statistics
--xstats-reset: to reset port extended statistics
--collectd-format: to print statistics to STDOUT in expected by collectd format
--host-id STRING: host id used to identify the system process is running on
EAL: Error - exiting with code: 1
Cause: No Ethernet ports - bye


The Mellanox board, does not appear in the PCI devices listed in that command!



root@olnmalp026Bn001:/home/sysadmin# lspci | grep -i mellan
07:00.0 Ethernet controller: Mellanox Technologies MT27710 Family [ConnectX-4 Lx]


But I am able to assign the PCI address to the vfio-pci driver:



root@olnmalp026Bn001:/home/sysadmin# dpdk-devbind -s

Network devices using DPDK-compatible driver
============================================
0000:07:00.0 'MT27710 Family [ConnectX-4 Lx] 1015' drv=vfio-pci unused=uio_pci_generic

Network devices using kernel driver
===================================
0000:02:00.0 'I350 Gigabit Network Connection 1521' if=enp2s0f0 drv=igb unused=vfio-pci,uio_pci_generic
0000:02:00.1 'I350 Gigabit Network Connection 1521' if=enp2s0f1 drv=igb unused=vfio-pci,uio_pci_generic
...


I think the Mellanox driver is properly installed in the machine:



root@olnmalp026Bn001:/home/sysadmin# mst start
Starting MST (Mellanox Software Tools) driver set
Loading MST PCI module - Success
[warn] mst_pciconf is already loaded, skipping
Create devices
Unloading MST PCI module (unused) - Success

root@olnmalp026Bn001:/home/sysadmin# lsmod | grep mst_
mst_pciconf 102400 0


Some data about the system, in case it helps:



root@olnmalp026Bn001:/home/sysadmin# uname -a
Linux olnmalp026Bn001 4.4.0-87-generic #110-Ubuntu SMP Tue Jul 18 12:55:35 UTC 2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
root@olnmalp026Bn001:/home/sysadmin# ovs-vsctl --version
ovs-vsctl (Open vSwitch) 2.9.0
DB Schema 7.15.1

root@olnmalp026Bn001:/home/sysadmin# dpkg -l | grep -i dpdk
ii dpdk 17.11-5 amd64 Data Plane Development Kit (runtime)
ii mlnx-ofed-dpdk 4.3-1.0.1.0 all MLNX_OFED dpdk installer package (with DKMS support)
ii openvswitch-switch-dpdk 2.9.0-2 amd64 DPDK enabled Open vSwitch switch implementation









share|improve this question

























    up vote
    1
    down vote

    favorite












    I'm facing some problem with DPDK on Ubuntu 16.04 with a Mellanox 40G NIC.



    I'm not able to assign the NIC to an ovs (trying to use vfio-pci driver).



    When I try to assign the NIC to the OVS with the following command:



    ovs-vsctl add-port br0 ens1 -- set Interface ens1 type=dpdk options:dpdk-devargs=0000:07:00.0


    I get the following log message:



    Apr 17 15:26:43 olnmalp026Bn001 ovs-vsctl: ovs|00001|vsctl|INFO|Called as ovs-vsctl add-port br0 ens1 -- set Interface ens1 type=dpdk options:dpdk-devargs=0000:07:00.0
    Apr 17 15:26:43 olnmalp026Bn001 ovs-vswitchd[56850]: ovs|00184|dpdk|ERR|EAL: Driver cannot attach the device (0000:07:00.0)
    Apr 17 15:26:43 olnmalp026Bn001 ovs-vswitchd[56850]: ovs|00185|dpdk|ERR|EAL: No port found for device (0000:07:00.0)


    The strangest thing I've noticed, is that if I run dpdk-procinfo, I get the following output:



    root@olnmalp026Bn001:/home/sysadmin# dpdk-procinfo
    EAL: Detected 56 lcore(s)
    EAL: Probing VFIO support...
    EAL: cannot connect to primary process!
    EAL: VFIO support could not be initialized
    EAL: PCI device 0000:02:00.0 on NUMA socket 0
    EAL: probe driver: 8086:1521 net_e1000_igb
    EAL: PCI device 0000:02:00.1 on NUMA socket 0
    EAL: probe driver: 8086:1521 net_e1000_igb
    dpdk-procinfo [EAL options] -- -p PORTMASK
    -m to display DPDK memory zones, segments and TAILQ information
    -p PORTMASK: hexadecimal bitmask of ports to retrieve stats for
    --stats: to display port statistics, enabled by default
    --xstats: to display extended port statistics, disabled by default
    --metrics: to display derived metrics of the ports, disabled by default
    --xstats-name NAME: to display single xstat id by NAME
    --xstats-ids IDLIST: to display xstat values by id. The argument is comma-separated list of xstat ids to print out.
    --stats-reset: to reset port statistics
    --xstats-reset: to reset port extended statistics
    --collectd-format: to print statistics to STDOUT in expected by collectd format
    --host-id STRING: host id used to identify the system process is running on
    EAL: Error - exiting with code: 1
    Cause: No Ethernet ports - bye


    The Mellanox board, does not appear in the PCI devices listed in that command!



    root@olnmalp026Bn001:/home/sysadmin# lspci | grep -i mellan
    07:00.0 Ethernet controller: Mellanox Technologies MT27710 Family [ConnectX-4 Lx]


    But I am able to assign the PCI address to the vfio-pci driver:



    root@olnmalp026Bn001:/home/sysadmin# dpdk-devbind -s

    Network devices using DPDK-compatible driver
    ============================================
    0000:07:00.0 'MT27710 Family [ConnectX-4 Lx] 1015' drv=vfio-pci unused=uio_pci_generic

    Network devices using kernel driver
    ===================================
    0000:02:00.0 'I350 Gigabit Network Connection 1521' if=enp2s0f0 drv=igb unused=vfio-pci,uio_pci_generic
    0000:02:00.1 'I350 Gigabit Network Connection 1521' if=enp2s0f1 drv=igb unused=vfio-pci,uio_pci_generic
    ...


    I think the Mellanox driver is properly installed in the machine:



    root@olnmalp026Bn001:/home/sysadmin# mst start
    Starting MST (Mellanox Software Tools) driver set
    Loading MST PCI module - Success
    [warn] mst_pciconf is already loaded, skipping
    Create devices
    Unloading MST PCI module (unused) - Success

    root@olnmalp026Bn001:/home/sysadmin# lsmod | grep mst_
    mst_pciconf 102400 0


    Some data about the system, in case it helps:



    root@olnmalp026Bn001:/home/sysadmin# uname -a
    Linux olnmalp026Bn001 4.4.0-87-generic #110-Ubuntu SMP Tue Jul 18 12:55:35 UTC 2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    root@olnmalp026Bn001:/home/sysadmin# ovs-vsctl --version
    ovs-vsctl (Open vSwitch) 2.9.0
    DB Schema 7.15.1

    root@olnmalp026Bn001:/home/sysadmin# dpkg -l | grep -i dpdk
    ii dpdk 17.11-5 amd64 Data Plane Development Kit (runtime)
    ii mlnx-ofed-dpdk 4.3-1.0.1.0 all MLNX_OFED dpdk installer package (with DKMS support)
    ii openvswitch-switch-dpdk 2.9.0-2 amd64 DPDK enabled Open vSwitch switch implementation









    share|improve this question























      up vote
      1
      down vote

      favorite









      up vote
      1
      down vote

      favorite











      I'm facing some problem with DPDK on Ubuntu 16.04 with a Mellanox 40G NIC.



      I'm not able to assign the NIC to an ovs (trying to use vfio-pci driver).



      When I try to assign the NIC to the OVS with the following command:



      ovs-vsctl add-port br0 ens1 -- set Interface ens1 type=dpdk options:dpdk-devargs=0000:07:00.0


      I get the following log message:



      Apr 17 15:26:43 olnmalp026Bn001 ovs-vsctl: ovs|00001|vsctl|INFO|Called as ovs-vsctl add-port br0 ens1 -- set Interface ens1 type=dpdk options:dpdk-devargs=0000:07:00.0
      Apr 17 15:26:43 olnmalp026Bn001 ovs-vswitchd[56850]: ovs|00184|dpdk|ERR|EAL: Driver cannot attach the device (0000:07:00.0)
      Apr 17 15:26:43 olnmalp026Bn001 ovs-vswitchd[56850]: ovs|00185|dpdk|ERR|EAL: No port found for device (0000:07:00.0)


      The strangest thing I've noticed, is that if I run dpdk-procinfo, I get the following output:



      root@olnmalp026Bn001:/home/sysadmin# dpdk-procinfo
      EAL: Detected 56 lcore(s)
      EAL: Probing VFIO support...
      EAL: cannot connect to primary process!
      EAL: VFIO support could not be initialized
      EAL: PCI device 0000:02:00.0 on NUMA socket 0
      EAL: probe driver: 8086:1521 net_e1000_igb
      EAL: PCI device 0000:02:00.1 on NUMA socket 0
      EAL: probe driver: 8086:1521 net_e1000_igb
      dpdk-procinfo [EAL options] -- -p PORTMASK
      -m to display DPDK memory zones, segments and TAILQ information
      -p PORTMASK: hexadecimal bitmask of ports to retrieve stats for
      --stats: to display port statistics, enabled by default
      --xstats: to display extended port statistics, disabled by default
      --metrics: to display derived metrics of the ports, disabled by default
      --xstats-name NAME: to display single xstat id by NAME
      --xstats-ids IDLIST: to display xstat values by id. The argument is comma-separated list of xstat ids to print out.
      --stats-reset: to reset port statistics
      --xstats-reset: to reset port extended statistics
      --collectd-format: to print statistics to STDOUT in expected by collectd format
      --host-id STRING: host id used to identify the system process is running on
      EAL: Error - exiting with code: 1
      Cause: No Ethernet ports - bye


      The Mellanox board, does not appear in the PCI devices listed in that command!



      root@olnmalp026Bn001:/home/sysadmin# lspci | grep -i mellan
      07:00.0 Ethernet controller: Mellanox Technologies MT27710 Family [ConnectX-4 Lx]


      But I am able to assign the PCI address to the vfio-pci driver:



      root@olnmalp026Bn001:/home/sysadmin# dpdk-devbind -s

      Network devices using DPDK-compatible driver
      ============================================
      0000:07:00.0 'MT27710 Family [ConnectX-4 Lx] 1015' drv=vfio-pci unused=uio_pci_generic

      Network devices using kernel driver
      ===================================
      0000:02:00.0 'I350 Gigabit Network Connection 1521' if=enp2s0f0 drv=igb unused=vfio-pci,uio_pci_generic
      0000:02:00.1 'I350 Gigabit Network Connection 1521' if=enp2s0f1 drv=igb unused=vfio-pci,uio_pci_generic
      ...


      I think the Mellanox driver is properly installed in the machine:



      root@olnmalp026Bn001:/home/sysadmin# mst start
      Starting MST (Mellanox Software Tools) driver set
      Loading MST PCI module - Success
      [warn] mst_pciconf is already loaded, skipping
      Create devices
      Unloading MST PCI module (unused) - Success

      root@olnmalp026Bn001:/home/sysadmin# lsmod | grep mst_
      mst_pciconf 102400 0


      Some data about the system, in case it helps:



      root@olnmalp026Bn001:/home/sysadmin# uname -a
      Linux olnmalp026Bn001 4.4.0-87-generic #110-Ubuntu SMP Tue Jul 18 12:55:35 UTC 2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
      root@olnmalp026Bn001:/home/sysadmin# ovs-vsctl --version
      ovs-vsctl (Open vSwitch) 2.9.0
      DB Schema 7.15.1

      root@olnmalp026Bn001:/home/sysadmin# dpkg -l | grep -i dpdk
      ii dpdk 17.11-5 amd64 Data Plane Development Kit (runtime)
      ii mlnx-ofed-dpdk 4.3-1.0.1.0 all MLNX_OFED dpdk installer package (with DKMS support)
      ii openvswitch-switch-dpdk 2.9.0-2 amd64 DPDK enabled Open vSwitch switch implementation









      share|improve this question













      I'm facing some problem with DPDK on Ubuntu 16.04 with a Mellanox 40G NIC.



      I'm not able to assign the NIC to an ovs (trying to use vfio-pci driver).



      When I try to assign the NIC to the OVS with the following command:



      ovs-vsctl add-port br0 ens1 -- set Interface ens1 type=dpdk options:dpdk-devargs=0000:07:00.0


      I get the following log message:



      Apr 17 15:26:43 olnmalp026Bn001 ovs-vsctl: ovs|00001|vsctl|INFO|Called as ovs-vsctl add-port br0 ens1 -- set Interface ens1 type=dpdk options:dpdk-devargs=0000:07:00.0
      Apr 17 15:26:43 olnmalp026Bn001 ovs-vswitchd[56850]: ovs|00184|dpdk|ERR|EAL: Driver cannot attach the device (0000:07:00.0)
      Apr 17 15:26:43 olnmalp026Bn001 ovs-vswitchd[56850]: ovs|00185|dpdk|ERR|EAL: No port found for device (0000:07:00.0)


      The strangest thing I've noticed, is that if I run dpdk-procinfo, I get the following output:



      root@olnmalp026Bn001:/home/sysadmin# dpdk-procinfo
      EAL: Detected 56 lcore(s)
      EAL: Probing VFIO support...
      EAL: cannot connect to primary process!
      EAL: VFIO support could not be initialized
      EAL: PCI device 0000:02:00.0 on NUMA socket 0
      EAL: probe driver: 8086:1521 net_e1000_igb
      EAL: PCI device 0000:02:00.1 on NUMA socket 0
      EAL: probe driver: 8086:1521 net_e1000_igb
      dpdk-procinfo [EAL options] -- -p PORTMASK
      -m to display DPDK memory zones, segments and TAILQ information
      -p PORTMASK: hexadecimal bitmask of ports to retrieve stats for
      --stats: to display port statistics, enabled by default
      --xstats: to display extended port statistics, disabled by default
      --metrics: to display derived metrics of the ports, disabled by default
      --xstats-name NAME: to display single xstat id by NAME
      --xstats-ids IDLIST: to display xstat values by id. The argument is comma-separated list of xstat ids to print out.
      --stats-reset: to reset port statistics
      --xstats-reset: to reset port extended statistics
      --collectd-format: to print statistics to STDOUT in expected by collectd format
      --host-id STRING: host id used to identify the system process is running on
      EAL: Error - exiting with code: 1
      Cause: No Ethernet ports - bye


      The Mellanox board, does not appear in the PCI devices listed in that command!



      root@olnmalp026Bn001:/home/sysadmin# lspci | grep -i mellan
      07:00.0 Ethernet controller: Mellanox Technologies MT27710 Family [ConnectX-4 Lx]


      But I am able to assign the PCI address to the vfio-pci driver:



      root@olnmalp026Bn001:/home/sysadmin# dpdk-devbind -s

      Network devices using DPDK-compatible driver
      ============================================
      0000:07:00.0 'MT27710 Family [ConnectX-4 Lx] 1015' drv=vfio-pci unused=uio_pci_generic

      Network devices using kernel driver
      ===================================
      0000:02:00.0 'I350 Gigabit Network Connection 1521' if=enp2s0f0 drv=igb unused=vfio-pci,uio_pci_generic
      0000:02:00.1 'I350 Gigabit Network Connection 1521' if=enp2s0f1 drv=igb unused=vfio-pci,uio_pci_generic
      ...


      I think the Mellanox driver is properly installed in the machine:



      root@olnmalp026Bn001:/home/sysadmin# mst start
      Starting MST (Mellanox Software Tools) driver set
      Loading MST PCI module - Success
      [warn] mst_pciconf is already loaded, skipping
      Create devices
      Unloading MST PCI module (unused) - Success

      root@olnmalp026Bn001:/home/sysadmin# lsmod | grep mst_
      mst_pciconf 102400 0


      Some data about the system, in case it helps:



      root@olnmalp026Bn001:/home/sysadmin# uname -a
      Linux olnmalp026Bn001 4.4.0-87-generic #110-Ubuntu SMP Tue Jul 18 12:55:35 UTC 2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
      root@olnmalp026Bn001:/home/sysadmin# ovs-vsctl --version
      ovs-vsctl (Open vSwitch) 2.9.0
      DB Schema 7.15.1

      root@olnmalp026Bn001:/home/sysadmin# dpkg -l | grep -i dpdk
      ii dpdk 17.11-5 amd64 Data Plane Development Kit (runtime)
      ii mlnx-ofed-dpdk 4.3-1.0.1.0 all MLNX_OFED dpdk installer package (with DKMS support)
      ii openvswitch-switch-dpdk 2.9.0-2 amd64 DPDK enabled Open vSwitch switch implementation






      networking drivers






      share|improve this question













      share|improve this question











      share|improve this question




      share|improve this question










      asked Apr 17 at 16:35









      apoz

      62




      62

























          active

          oldest

          votes











          Your Answer







          StackExchange.ready(function()
          var channelOptions =
          tags: "".split(" "),
          id: "89"
          ;
          initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

          StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
          // Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
          if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
          StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
          createEditor();
          );

          else
          createEditor();

          );

          function createEditor()
          StackExchange.prepareEditor(
          heartbeatType: 'answer',
          convertImagesToLinks: true,
          noModals: false,
          showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
          reputationToPostImages: 10,
          bindNavPrevention: true,
          postfix: "",
          onDemand: true,
          discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
          ,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
          );



          );













           

          draft saved


          draft discarded


















          StackExchange.ready(
          function ()
          StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1025872%2fproblem-with-ovs-dpdk-and-mellanox-nic%23new-answer', 'question_page');

          );

          Post as a guest



































          active

          oldest

          votes













          active

          oldest

          votes









          active

          oldest

          votes






          active

          oldest

          votes















           

          draft saved


          draft discarded















































           


          draft saved


          draft discarded














          StackExchange.ready(
          function ()
          StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1025872%2fproblem-with-ovs-dpdk-and-mellanox-nic%23new-answer', 'question_page');

          );

          Post as a guest













































































          Popular posts from this blog

          Which professions warranted travel in Medieval times?

          How do so many people here on Academia.SE, and in general, afford lavish higher education programs?

          Trouble downloading packages list due to a “Hash sum mismatch” error