Cannot ping by host name [duplicate]

The name of the pictureThe name of the pictureThe name of the pictureClash Royale CLAN TAG#URR8PPP








up vote
0
down vote

favorite













This question already has an answer here:



  • “ping: unknown host google.com” but IPs works fine [duplicate]

    4 answers



  • How do I fix DNS resolving which doesn't work after upgrading to Ubuntu 13.10 (Saucy)

    4 answers



I have a strange situation. Pinging by ip works fine, but by host name fails.
My observations:



nslookup -type=ns google.com
;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached


In one window I called:



ping google.com
ping: unknown host google.com


and in the other window I had this:



sudo tcpdump -n -i eno1 |grep -A5 172.27.1.100.53 # this is my dns server
11:06:57.336938 IP 172.27.6.77.48852 > 172.27.1.100.53: 61526+ A? google.com. (28)
11:06:57.337151 IP 172.27.1.100.53 > 172.27.6.77.48852: 61526 1/0/0 A 172.217.12.110 (44)
11:06:57.337170 IP 172.27.6.77 > 172.27.1.100: ICMP 172.27.6.77 udp port 48852 unreachable, length 80


As you can see in the tcpdump there was a response from DNS server and google.com was properly resolved: 172.217.12.110.



What's going on here? Can I somehow debug it more?



I know that when I restart my network it would work fine, because it happened few times earlier. This is only workaround and it doesn't resolve my isssue.



I am using ubuntu 16.04 (desktop).



Thanks.










share|improve this question













marked as duplicate by karel, Fabby, David Foerster, George Udosen, Eric Carvalho Apr 20 at 19:25


This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.














  • Can you change your nameserver to 8.8.8.8 in /etc/resolv.conf ?
    – ponsfrilus
    Apr 18 at 12:08










  • Thanks guys for suggestions. I have disabled dnsmasq (so it caused change of /etc/resolv.conf) and now it looks it works.
    – dePablo
    Apr 20 at 9:20














up vote
0
down vote

favorite













This question already has an answer here:



  • “ping: unknown host google.com” but IPs works fine [duplicate]

    4 answers



  • How do I fix DNS resolving which doesn't work after upgrading to Ubuntu 13.10 (Saucy)

    4 answers



I have a strange situation. Pinging by ip works fine, but by host name fails.
My observations:



nslookup -type=ns google.com
;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached


In one window I called:



ping google.com
ping: unknown host google.com


and in the other window I had this:



sudo tcpdump -n -i eno1 |grep -A5 172.27.1.100.53 # this is my dns server
11:06:57.336938 IP 172.27.6.77.48852 > 172.27.1.100.53: 61526+ A? google.com. (28)
11:06:57.337151 IP 172.27.1.100.53 > 172.27.6.77.48852: 61526 1/0/0 A 172.217.12.110 (44)
11:06:57.337170 IP 172.27.6.77 > 172.27.1.100: ICMP 172.27.6.77 udp port 48852 unreachable, length 80


As you can see in the tcpdump there was a response from DNS server and google.com was properly resolved: 172.217.12.110.



What's going on here? Can I somehow debug it more?



I know that when I restart my network it would work fine, because it happened few times earlier. This is only workaround and it doesn't resolve my isssue.



I am using ubuntu 16.04 (desktop).



Thanks.










share|improve this question













marked as duplicate by karel, Fabby, David Foerster, George Udosen, Eric Carvalho Apr 20 at 19:25


This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.














  • Can you change your nameserver to 8.8.8.8 in /etc/resolv.conf ?
    – ponsfrilus
    Apr 18 at 12:08










  • Thanks guys for suggestions. I have disabled dnsmasq (so it caused change of /etc/resolv.conf) and now it looks it works.
    – dePablo
    Apr 20 at 9:20












up vote
0
down vote

favorite









up vote
0
down vote

favorite












This question already has an answer here:



  • “ping: unknown host google.com” but IPs works fine [duplicate]

    4 answers



  • How do I fix DNS resolving which doesn't work after upgrading to Ubuntu 13.10 (Saucy)

    4 answers



I have a strange situation. Pinging by ip works fine, but by host name fails.
My observations:



nslookup -type=ns google.com
;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached


In one window I called:



ping google.com
ping: unknown host google.com


and in the other window I had this:



sudo tcpdump -n -i eno1 |grep -A5 172.27.1.100.53 # this is my dns server
11:06:57.336938 IP 172.27.6.77.48852 > 172.27.1.100.53: 61526+ A? google.com. (28)
11:06:57.337151 IP 172.27.1.100.53 > 172.27.6.77.48852: 61526 1/0/0 A 172.217.12.110 (44)
11:06:57.337170 IP 172.27.6.77 > 172.27.1.100: ICMP 172.27.6.77 udp port 48852 unreachable, length 80


As you can see in the tcpdump there was a response from DNS server and google.com was properly resolved: 172.217.12.110.



What's going on here? Can I somehow debug it more?



I know that when I restart my network it would work fine, because it happened few times earlier. This is only workaround and it doesn't resolve my isssue.



I am using ubuntu 16.04 (desktop).



Thanks.










share|improve this question














This question already has an answer here:



  • “ping: unknown host google.com” but IPs works fine [duplicate]

    4 answers



  • How do I fix DNS resolving which doesn't work after upgrading to Ubuntu 13.10 (Saucy)

    4 answers



I have a strange situation. Pinging by ip works fine, but by host name fails.
My observations:



nslookup -type=ns google.com
;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached


In one window I called:



ping google.com
ping: unknown host google.com


and in the other window I had this:



sudo tcpdump -n -i eno1 |grep -A5 172.27.1.100.53 # this is my dns server
11:06:57.336938 IP 172.27.6.77.48852 > 172.27.1.100.53: 61526+ A? google.com. (28)
11:06:57.337151 IP 172.27.1.100.53 > 172.27.6.77.48852: 61526 1/0/0 A 172.217.12.110 (44)
11:06:57.337170 IP 172.27.6.77 > 172.27.1.100: ICMP 172.27.6.77 udp port 48852 unreachable, length 80


As you can see in the tcpdump there was a response from DNS server and google.com was properly resolved: 172.217.12.110.



What's going on here? Can I somehow debug it more?



I know that when I restart my network it would work fine, because it happened few times earlier. This is only workaround and it doesn't resolve my isssue.



I am using ubuntu 16.04 (desktop).



Thanks.





This question already has an answer here:



  • “ping: unknown host google.com” but IPs works fine [duplicate]

    4 answers



  • How do I fix DNS resolving which doesn't work after upgrading to Ubuntu 13.10 (Saucy)

    4 answers







networking dns hostname tcpdump






share|improve this question













share|improve this question











share|improve this question




share|improve this question










asked Apr 18 at 9:22









dePablo

11




11




marked as duplicate by karel, Fabby, David Foerster, George Udosen, Eric Carvalho Apr 20 at 19:25


This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.






marked as duplicate by karel, Fabby, David Foerster, George Udosen, Eric Carvalho Apr 20 at 19:25


This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.













  • Can you change your nameserver to 8.8.8.8 in /etc/resolv.conf ?
    – ponsfrilus
    Apr 18 at 12:08










  • Thanks guys for suggestions. I have disabled dnsmasq (so it caused change of /etc/resolv.conf) and now it looks it works.
    – dePablo
    Apr 20 at 9:20
















  • Can you change your nameserver to 8.8.8.8 in /etc/resolv.conf ?
    – ponsfrilus
    Apr 18 at 12:08










  • Thanks guys for suggestions. I have disabled dnsmasq (so it caused change of /etc/resolv.conf) and now it looks it works.
    – dePablo
    Apr 20 at 9:20















Can you change your nameserver to 8.8.8.8 in /etc/resolv.conf ?
– ponsfrilus
Apr 18 at 12:08




Can you change your nameserver to 8.8.8.8 in /etc/resolv.conf ?
– ponsfrilus
Apr 18 at 12:08












Thanks guys for suggestions. I have disabled dnsmasq (so it caused change of /etc/resolv.conf) and now it looks it works.
– dePablo
Apr 20 at 9:20




Thanks guys for suggestions. I have disabled dnsmasq (so it caused change of /etc/resolv.conf) and now it looks it works.
– dePablo
Apr 20 at 9:20










1 Answer
1






active

oldest

votes

















up vote
0
down vote



accepted










I looked into these issues:
nameserver 127.0.1.1 in resolv.conf won't go away!
How do I fix DNS resolving which doesn't work after upgrading to Ubuntu 13.10 (Saucy)
and made a trick with disabling line "dns=dnsmasq" in /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf .



It looks this solves my issue.






share|improve this answer



























    1 Answer
    1






    active

    oldest

    votes








    1 Answer
    1






    active

    oldest

    votes









    active

    oldest

    votes






    active

    oldest

    votes








    up vote
    0
    down vote



    accepted










    I looked into these issues:
    nameserver 127.0.1.1 in resolv.conf won't go away!
    How do I fix DNS resolving which doesn't work after upgrading to Ubuntu 13.10 (Saucy)
    and made a trick with disabling line "dns=dnsmasq" in /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf .



    It looks this solves my issue.






    share|improve this answer
























      up vote
      0
      down vote



      accepted










      I looked into these issues:
      nameserver 127.0.1.1 in resolv.conf won't go away!
      How do I fix DNS resolving which doesn't work after upgrading to Ubuntu 13.10 (Saucy)
      and made a trick with disabling line "dns=dnsmasq" in /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf .



      It looks this solves my issue.






      share|improve this answer






















        up vote
        0
        down vote



        accepted







        up vote
        0
        down vote



        accepted






        I looked into these issues:
        nameserver 127.0.1.1 in resolv.conf won't go away!
        How do I fix DNS resolving which doesn't work after upgrading to Ubuntu 13.10 (Saucy)
        and made a trick with disabling line "dns=dnsmasq" in /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf .



        It looks this solves my issue.






        share|improve this answer












        I looked into these issues:
        nameserver 127.0.1.1 in resolv.conf won't go away!
        How do I fix DNS resolving which doesn't work after upgrading to Ubuntu 13.10 (Saucy)
        and made a trick with disabling line "dns=dnsmasq" in /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf .



        It looks this solves my issue.







        share|improve this answer












        share|improve this answer



        share|improve this answer










        answered Apr 20 at 9:18









        dePablo

        11




        11












            Popular posts from this blog

            Which professions warranted travel in Medieval times?

            How do so many people here on Academia.SE, and in general, afford lavish higher education programs?

            Trouble downloading packages list due to a “Hash sum mismatch” error