Dropping Internet connection on Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8821AE

The name of the pictureThe name of the pictureThe name of the pictureClash Royale CLAN TAG#URR8PPP








up vote
5
down vote

favorite
1












I have continuous problems of network dropping connections on wifi with ubuntu 16.04, I have an ASUS R510J, this is my network card:



##### lspci #############################

03:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8821AE 802.11ac PCIe Wireless Network Adapter [10ec:8821]
Subsystem: AzureWave RTL8821AE 802.11ac PCIe Wireless Network Adapter [1a3b:2161]
Kernel driver in use: rtl8821ae

04:00.1 Ethernet controller [0200]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller [10ec:8168] (rev 12)
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller [1043:200f]
Kernel driver in use: r8169


sudo service network-manager restart doesnt's help, as I never regain internet connection after it drops, and I have to restart the PC. On Ethernet cable I have no problem.



What do you think is the issue? drivers?



thank you










share|improve this question



























    up vote
    5
    down vote

    favorite
    1












    I have continuous problems of network dropping connections on wifi with ubuntu 16.04, I have an ASUS R510J, this is my network card:



    ##### lspci #############################

    03:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8821AE 802.11ac PCIe Wireless Network Adapter [10ec:8821]
    Subsystem: AzureWave RTL8821AE 802.11ac PCIe Wireless Network Adapter [1a3b:2161]
    Kernel driver in use: rtl8821ae

    04:00.1 Ethernet controller [0200]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller [10ec:8168] (rev 12)
    Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller [1043:200f]
    Kernel driver in use: r8169


    sudo service network-manager restart doesnt's help, as I never regain internet connection after it drops, and I have to restart the PC. On Ethernet cable I have no problem.



    What do you think is the issue? drivers?



    thank you










    share|improve this question

























      up vote
      5
      down vote

      favorite
      1









      up vote
      5
      down vote

      favorite
      1






      1





      I have continuous problems of network dropping connections on wifi with ubuntu 16.04, I have an ASUS R510J, this is my network card:



      ##### lspci #############################

      03:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8821AE 802.11ac PCIe Wireless Network Adapter [10ec:8821]
      Subsystem: AzureWave RTL8821AE 802.11ac PCIe Wireless Network Adapter [1a3b:2161]
      Kernel driver in use: rtl8821ae

      04:00.1 Ethernet controller [0200]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller [10ec:8168] (rev 12)
      Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller [1043:200f]
      Kernel driver in use: r8169


      sudo service network-manager restart doesnt's help, as I never regain internet connection after it drops, and I have to restart the PC. On Ethernet cable I have no problem.



      What do you think is the issue? drivers?



      thank you










      share|improve this question















      I have continuous problems of network dropping connections on wifi with ubuntu 16.04, I have an ASUS R510J, this is my network card:



      ##### lspci #############################

      03:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8821AE 802.11ac PCIe Wireless Network Adapter [10ec:8821]
      Subsystem: AzureWave RTL8821AE 802.11ac PCIe Wireless Network Adapter [1a3b:2161]
      Kernel driver in use: rtl8821ae

      04:00.1 Ethernet controller [0200]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller [10ec:8168] (rev 12)
      Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller [1043:200f]
      Kernel driver in use: r8169


      sudo service network-manager restart doesnt's help, as I never regain internet connection after it drops, and I have to restart the PC. On Ethernet cable I have no problem.



      What do you think is the issue? drivers?



      thank you







      networking drivers realtek






      share|improve this question















      share|improve this question













      share|improve this question




      share|improve this question








      edited Jul 11 '16 at 15:33









      Thiago Rider Augusto

      9133927




      9133927










      asked Jul 9 '16 at 12:35









      perepepe

      465




      465




















          2 Answers
          2






          active

          oldest

          votes

















          up vote
          2
          down vote













          Install this driver from a PPA



          sudo add-apt-repository ppa:hanipouspilot/rtlwifi
          sudo apt update
          sudo apt install rtlwifi-new-dkms


          It is a better driver that should support your adapter.






          share|improve this answer
















          • 1




            unfournately, I tried this solution for a few weeks and the problem persists. I assume it is just a matter of drivers
            – perepepe
            Aug 26 '16 at 13:23










          • @perepepe, see my answer here askubuntu.com/a/917778/127308 on how to build the latest rtl wifi driver to solve this.
            – LifeBoy
            May 30 at 11:04

















          up vote
          1
          down vote













          I had the same issue,My network card is RTL8821AE 802.11ac PCIe Wireless Network Adapter.I did the following steps to get it working:



          sudo apt-get install git build-essential
          git clone https://github.com/lwfinger/rtlwifi_new.git
          cd rtlwifi_new
          make
          sudo make install


          Your WiFi will now work fine but you will need to re-install it after each kernel upgrade.
          Or this code might work:



          sudo dkms add ./rtlwifi_new





          share|improve this answer






















            Your Answer







            StackExchange.ready(function()
            var channelOptions =
            tags: "".split(" "),
            id: "89"
            ;
            initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

            StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
            // Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
            if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
            StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
            createEditor();
            );

            else
            createEditor();

            );

            function createEditor()
            StackExchange.prepareEditor(
            heartbeatType: 'answer',
            convertImagesToLinks: true,
            noModals: false,
            showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
            reputationToPostImages: 10,
            bindNavPrevention: true,
            postfix: "",
            onDemand: true,
            discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
            ,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
            );



            );













             

            draft saved


            draft discarded


















            StackExchange.ready(
            function ()
            StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f796665%2fdropping-internet-connection-on-realtek-semiconductor-co-ltd-rtl8821ae%23new-answer', 'question_page');

            );

            Post as a guest






























            2 Answers
            2






            active

            oldest

            votes








            2 Answers
            2






            active

            oldest

            votes









            active

            oldest

            votes






            active

            oldest

            votes








            up vote
            2
            down vote













            Install this driver from a PPA



            sudo add-apt-repository ppa:hanipouspilot/rtlwifi
            sudo apt update
            sudo apt install rtlwifi-new-dkms


            It is a better driver that should support your adapter.






            share|improve this answer
















            • 1




              unfournately, I tried this solution for a few weeks and the problem persists. I assume it is just a matter of drivers
              – perepepe
              Aug 26 '16 at 13:23










            • @perepepe, see my answer here askubuntu.com/a/917778/127308 on how to build the latest rtl wifi driver to solve this.
              – LifeBoy
              May 30 at 11:04














            up vote
            2
            down vote













            Install this driver from a PPA



            sudo add-apt-repository ppa:hanipouspilot/rtlwifi
            sudo apt update
            sudo apt install rtlwifi-new-dkms


            It is a better driver that should support your adapter.






            share|improve this answer
















            • 1




              unfournately, I tried this solution for a few weeks and the problem persists. I assume it is just a matter of drivers
              – perepepe
              Aug 26 '16 at 13:23










            • @perepepe, see my answer here askubuntu.com/a/917778/127308 on how to build the latest rtl wifi driver to solve this.
              – LifeBoy
              May 30 at 11:04












            up vote
            2
            down vote










            up vote
            2
            down vote









            Install this driver from a PPA



            sudo add-apt-repository ppa:hanipouspilot/rtlwifi
            sudo apt update
            sudo apt install rtlwifi-new-dkms


            It is a better driver that should support your adapter.






            share|improve this answer












            Install this driver from a PPA



            sudo add-apt-repository ppa:hanipouspilot/rtlwifi
            sudo apt update
            sudo apt install rtlwifi-new-dkms


            It is a better driver that should support your adapter.







            share|improve this answer












            share|improve this answer



            share|improve this answer










            answered Jul 9 '16 at 12:54









            Pilot6

            50.6k15103188




            50.6k15103188







            • 1




              unfournately, I tried this solution for a few weeks and the problem persists. I assume it is just a matter of drivers
              – perepepe
              Aug 26 '16 at 13:23










            • @perepepe, see my answer here askubuntu.com/a/917778/127308 on how to build the latest rtl wifi driver to solve this.
              – LifeBoy
              May 30 at 11:04












            • 1




              unfournately, I tried this solution for a few weeks and the problem persists. I assume it is just a matter of drivers
              – perepepe
              Aug 26 '16 at 13:23










            • @perepepe, see my answer here askubuntu.com/a/917778/127308 on how to build the latest rtl wifi driver to solve this.
              – LifeBoy
              May 30 at 11:04







            1




            1




            unfournately, I tried this solution for a few weeks and the problem persists. I assume it is just a matter of drivers
            – perepepe
            Aug 26 '16 at 13:23




            unfournately, I tried this solution for a few weeks and the problem persists. I assume it is just a matter of drivers
            – perepepe
            Aug 26 '16 at 13:23












            @perepepe, see my answer here askubuntu.com/a/917778/127308 on how to build the latest rtl wifi driver to solve this.
            – LifeBoy
            May 30 at 11:04




            @perepepe, see my answer here askubuntu.com/a/917778/127308 on how to build the latest rtl wifi driver to solve this.
            – LifeBoy
            May 30 at 11:04












            up vote
            1
            down vote













            I had the same issue,My network card is RTL8821AE 802.11ac PCIe Wireless Network Adapter.I did the following steps to get it working:



            sudo apt-get install git build-essential
            git clone https://github.com/lwfinger/rtlwifi_new.git
            cd rtlwifi_new
            make
            sudo make install


            Your WiFi will now work fine but you will need to re-install it after each kernel upgrade.
            Or this code might work:



            sudo dkms add ./rtlwifi_new





            share|improve this answer


























              up vote
              1
              down vote













              I had the same issue,My network card is RTL8821AE 802.11ac PCIe Wireless Network Adapter.I did the following steps to get it working:



              sudo apt-get install git build-essential
              git clone https://github.com/lwfinger/rtlwifi_new.git
              cd rtlwifi_new
              make
              sudo make install


              Your WiFi will now work fine but you will need to re-install it after each kernel upgrade.
              Or this code might work:



              sudo dkms add ./rtlwifi_new





              share|improve this answer
























                up vote
                1
                down vote










                up vote
                1
                down vote









                I had the same issue,My network card is RTL8821AE 802.11ac PCIe Wireless Network Adapter.I did the following steps to get it working:



                sudo apt-get install git build-essential
                git clone https://github.com/lwfinger/rtlwifi_new.git
                cd rtlwifi_new
                make
                sudo make install


                Your WiFi will now work fine but you will need to re-install it after each kernel upgrade.
                Or this code might work:



                sudo dkms add ./rtlwifi_new





                share|improve this answer














                I had the same issue,My network card is RTL8821AE 802.11ac PCIe Wireless Network Adapter.I did the following steps to get it working:



                sudo apt-get install git build-essential
                git clone https://github.com/lwfinger/rtlwifi_new.git
                cd rtlwifi_new
                make
                sudo make install


                Your WiFi will now work fine but you will need to re-install it after each kernel upgrade.
                Or this code might work:



                sudo dkms add ./rtlwifi_new






                share|improve this answer














                share|improve this answer



                share|improve this answer








                edited Nov 7 '17 at 13:11









                pomsky

                23.5k773100




                23.5k773100










                answered Nov 7 '17 at 12:53









                Praveen Ojha

                1688




                1688



























                     

                    draft saved


                    draft discarded















































                     


                    draft saved


                    draft discarded














                    StackExchange.ready(
                    function ()
                    StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f796665%2fdropping-internet-connection-on-realtek-semiconductor-co-ltd-rtl8821ae%23new-answer', 'question_page');

                    );

                    Post as a guest













































































                    Popular posts from this blog

                    Which professions warranted travel in Medieval times?

                    How do so many people here on Academia.SE, and in general, afford lavish higher education programs?

                    Trouble downloading packages list due to a “Hash sum mismatch” error