Starting a different X session on tty8 fails

The name of the pictureThe name of the pictureThe name of the pictureClash Royale CLAN TAG#URR8PPP








up vote
0
down vote

favorite












I have two users on my computer (ubuntu linux 16.04) and I want to be able to have them both logged in at the same time on different virtual consoles.



I have followed instructions here but the process fails.



This is what happens:



  1. I boot my computer and login with my main user

  2. I switch to virtual console 1 with ctrl+alt+F1 and login with my second user.

  3. I run the command startx gnome-session -- :1 vt8

  4. The screen turns black and nothing happens

What I am able to do from here is this:



  • I can switch back to my main login with ctrl+alt+F7

  • I can switch to virtual console 8 where the screen is black

  • I can switch to virtual console 9 and above where I am met with a blinking input cursor

  • I can switch back to virtual console 1 where the output below is show

What can be the problem with getting the second user on virtual console 8? I know this has worked at least one time in the past.



Here is the output visible in virtual console 1



X.Org X Server 1.19.5
Release Date: 2017-10-12
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Linux 4.4.0-101-generic x86_64 Ubuntu
Current Operating System: Linux lenovo 4.13.0-43-generic #48~16.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Thu May 17 12:56:46 UTC 2018 x86_64
Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-4.13.0-43-generic.efi.signed root=UUID=bfd8c1ce-b615-4791-b4be-53e4d18e69e3 ro quiet splash vt.handoff=7
Build Date: 24 November 2017 09:44:25AM
xorg-server 2:1.19.5-0ubuntu2~16.04.1 (For technical support please see http://www.ubuntu.com/support)
Current version of pixman: 0.33.6
Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
to make sure that you have the latest version.
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.1.log", Time: Sat May 26 12:00:08 2018
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
(==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
The XKEYBOARD keymap compiler (xkbcomp) reports:
> Warning: Type "ONE_LEVEL" has 1 levels, but <RALT> has 2 symbols
> Ignoring extra symbols
Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X server






share|improve this question
























    up vote
    0
    down vote

    favorite












    I have two users on my computer (ubuntu linux 16.04) and I want to be able to have them both logged in at the same time on different virtual consoles.



    I have followed instructions here but the process fails.



    This is what happens:



    1. I boot my computer and login with my main user

    2. I switch to virtual console 1 with ctrl+alt+F1 and login with my second user.

    3. I run the command startx gnome-session -- :1 vt8

    4. The screen turns black and nothing happens

    What I am able to do from here is this:



    • I can switch back to my main login with ctrl+alt+F7

    • I can switch to virtual console 8 where the screen is black

    • I can switch to virtual console 9 and above where I am met with a blinking input cursor

    • I can switch back to virtual console 1 where the output below is show

    What can be the problem with getting the second user on virtual console 8? I know this has worked at least one time in the past.



    Here is the output visible in virtual console 1



    X.Org X Server 1.19.5
    Release Date: 2017-10-12
    X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
    Build Operating System: Linux 4.4.0-101-generic x86_64 Ubuntu
    Current Operating System: Linux lenovo 4.13.0-43-generic #48~16.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Thu May 17 12:56:46 UTC 2018 x86_64
    Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-4.13.0-43-generic.efi.signed root=UUID=bfd8c1ce-b615-4791-b4be-53e4d18e69e3 ro quiet splash vt.handoff=7
    Build Date: 24 November 2017 09:44:25AM
    xorg-server 2:1.19.5-0ubuntu2~16.04.1 (For technical support please see http://www.ubuntu.com/support)
    Current version of pixman: 0.33.6
    Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
    to make sure that you have the latest version.
    Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
    (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
    (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
    (==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.1.log", Time: Sat May 26 12:00:08 2018
    (==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
    (==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
    The XKEYBOARD keymap compiler (xkbcomp) reports:
    > Warning: Type "ONE_LEVEL" has 1 levels, but <RALT> has 2 symbols
    > Ignoring extra symbols
    Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X server






    share|improve this question






















      up vote
      0
      down vote

      favorite









      up vote
      0
      down vote

      favorite











      I have two users on my computer (ubuntu linux 16.04) and I want to be able to have them both logged in at the same time on different virtual consoles.



      I have followed instructions here but the process fails.



      This is what happens:



      1. I boot my computer and login with my main user

      2. I switch to virtual console 1 with ctrl+alt+F1 and login with my second user.

      3. I run the command startx gnome-session -- :1 vt8

      4. The screen turns black and nothing happens

      What I am able to do from here is this:



      • I can switch back to my main login with ctrl+alt+F7

      • I can switch to virtual console 8 where the screen is black

      • I can switch to virtual console 9 and above where I am met with a blinking input cursor

      • I can switch back to virtual console 1 where the output below is show

      What can be the problem with getting the second user on virtual console 8? I know this has worked at least one time in the past.



      Here is the output visible in virtual console 1



      X.Org X Server 1.19.5
      Release Date: 2017-10-12
      X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
      Build Operating System: Linux 4.4.0-101-generic x86_64 Ubuntu
      Current Operating System: Linux lenovo 4.13.0-43-generic #48~16.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Thu May 17 12:56:46 UTC 2018 x86_64
      Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-4.13.0-43-generic.efi.signed root=UUID=bfd8c1ce-b615-4791-b4be-53e4d18e69e3 ro quiet splash vt.handoff=7
      Build Date: 24 November 2017 09:44:25AM
      xorg-server 2:1.19.5-0ubuntu2~16.04.1 (For technical support please see http://www.ubuntu.com/support)
      Current version of pixman: 0.33.6
      Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
      to make sure that you have the latest version.
      Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
      (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
      (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
      (==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.1.log", Time: Sat May 26 12:00:08 2018
      (==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
      (==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
      The XKEYBOARD keymap compiler (xkbcomp) reports:
      > Warning: Type "ONE_LEVEL" has 1 levels, but <RALT> has 2 symbols
      > Ignoring extra symbols
      Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X server






      share|improve this question












      I have two users on my computer (ubuntu linux 16.04) and I want to be able to have them both logged in at the same time on different virtual consoles.



      I have followed instructions here but the process fails.



      This is what happens:



      1. I boot my computer and login with my main user

      2. I switch to virtual console 1 with ctrl+alt+F1 and login with my second user.

      3. I run the command startx gnome-session -- :1 vt8

      4. The screen turns black and nothing happens

      What I am able to do from here is this:



      • I can switch back to my main login with ctrl+alt+F7

      • I can switch to virtual console 8 where the screen is black

      • I can switch to virtual console 9 and above where I am met with a blinking input cursor

      • I can switch back to virtual console 1 where the output below is show

      What can be the problem with getting the second user on virtual console 8? I know this has worked at least one time in the past.



      Here is the output visible in virtual console 1



      X.Org X Server 1.19.5
      Release Date: 2017-10-12
      X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
      Build Operating System: Linux 4.4.0-101-generic x86_64 Ubuntu
      Current Operating System: Linux lenovo 4.13.0-43-generic #48~16.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Thu May 17 12:56:46 UTC 2018 x86_64
      Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-4.13.0-43-generic.efi.signed root=UUID=bfd8c1ce-b615-4791-b4be-53e4d18e69e3 ro quiet splash vt.handoff=7
      Build Date: 24 November 2017 09:44:25AM
      xorg-server 2:1.19.5-0ubuntu2~16.04.1 (For technical support please see http://www.ubuntu.com/support)
      Current version of pixman: 0.33.6
      Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
      to make sure that you have the latest version.
      Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
      (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
      (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
      (==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.1.log", Time: Sat May 26 12:00:08 2018
      (==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
      (==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
      The XKEYBOARD keymap compiler (xkbcomp) reports:
      > Warning: Type "ONE_LEVEL" has 1 levels, but <RALT> has 2 symbols
      > Ignoring extra symbols
      Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X server








      share|improve this question











      share|improve this question




      share|improve this question










      asked May 26 at 10:15









      Ludwig Magnusson

      1969




      1969

























          active

          oldest

          votes











          Your Answer







          StackExchange.ready(function()
          var channelOptions =
          tags: "".split(" "),
          id: "89"
          ;
          initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

          StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
          // Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
          if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
          StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
          createEditor();
          );

          else
          createEditor();

          );

          function createEditor()
          StackExchange.prepareEditor(
          heartbeatType: 'answer',
          convertImagesToLinks: true,
          noModals: false,
          showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
          reputationToPostImages: 10,
          bindNavPrevention: true,
          postfix: "",
          onDemand: true,
          discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
          ,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
          );



          );








           

          draft saved


          draft discarded


















          StackExchange.ready(
          function ()
          StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1040546%2fstarting-a-different-x-session-on-tty8-fails%23new-answer', 'question_page');

          );

          Post as a guest



































          active

          oldest

          votes













          active

          oldest

          votes









          active

          oldest

          votes






          active

          oldest

          votes










           

          draft saved


          draft discarded


























           


          draft saved


          draft discarded














          StackExchange.ready(
          function ()
          StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1040546%2fstarting-a-different-x-session-on-tty8-fails%23new-answer', 'question_page');

          );

          Post as a guest













































































          Popular posts from this blog

          Which professions warranted travel in Medieval times?

          How do so many people here on Academia.SE, and in general, afford lavish higher education programs?

          Trouble downloading packages list due to a “Hash sum mismatch” error