Running a mv command on large amount of data caused disappearance of other folders [closed]

The name of the pictureThe name of the pictureThe name of the pictureClash Royale CLAN TAG#URR8PPP








up vote
2
down vote

favorite












I messed up by running a mv command on the entire contents of an old external drive to my Desktop without making a destination folder first.



I ran



sudo mv /my/external/path/* /home/myself/Desktop/


when instead I should have made a directory on Desktop first.



I wasn't thinking, and my Desktop was filling up behind my full screen terminal while I walked away unbeknownst to me. I had 3 important folders on it (School, Dev Projects, and CODE), all of them with many subdirectories. Well, they're gone, and I cannot find them.
To compound the situation, I didn't realize that my computer didn't have enough space to complete the job, so not everything was copied.



If I did not manually delete these folders, where could they have gone? I checked /home/myself/.local/share/Trash/files and found nothing.



I ran



grep -nr "Some_Folder_or_File_Names" 


on the newer external I copied to, and found nothing.



If these folders are lost, I just lost over a year of development projects and school material.



Thanks.







share|improve this question












closed as off-topic by steeldriver, John1024, David Foerster, Fabby, karel May 27 at 9:06


This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:


  • "This describes a problem that can't be reproduced, that seemingly went away on its own or was only relevant to a very specific period of time. It's off-topic as it's unlikely to help future readers." – steeldriver, John1024, David Foerster, Fabby, karel
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.








  • 1




    Look in the /home/myself/Desktop-folder.
    – mook765
    May 26 at 16:59










  • Your grep searches the text Some_Folder_or_File_Names whithin the files. It doesn't match filenames. Try find . -name "*Some_Folder_or_File_Names*" instead.
    – PerlDuck
    May 26 at 17:00











  • Did that too after posting this. Nothing. Even did ls -a.
    – IRGeekSauce
    May 26 at 17:00










  • Ok tried the "find" command. Nothing.
    – IRGeekSauce
    May 26 at 17:03














up vote
2
down vote

favorite












I messed up by running a mv command on the entire contents of an old external drive to my Desktop without making a destination folder first.



I ran



sudo mv /my/external/path/* /home/myself/Desktop/


when instead I should have made a directory on Desktop first.



I wasn't thinking, and my Desktop was filling up behind my full screen terminal while I walked away unbeknownst to me. I had 3 important folders on it (School, Dev Projects, and CODE), all of them with many subdirectories. Well, they're gone, and I cannot find them.
To compound the situation, I didn't realize that my computer didn't have enough space to complete the job, so not everything was copied.



If I did not manually delete these folders, where could they have gone? I checked /home/myself/.local/share/Trash/files and found nothing.



I ran



grep -nr "Some_Folder_or_File_Names" 


on the newer external I copied to, and found nothing.



If these folders are lost, I just lost over a year of development projects and school material.



Thanks.







share|improve this question












closed as off-topic by steeldriver, John1024, David Foerster, Fabby, karel May 27 at 9:06


This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:


  • "This describes a problem that can't be reproduced, that seemingly went away on its own or was only relevant to a very specific period of time. It's off-topic as it's unlikely to help future readers." – steeldriver, John1024, David Foerster, Fabby, karel
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.








  • 1




    Look in the /home/myself/Desktop-folder.
    – mook765
    May 26 at 16:59










  • Your grep searches the text Some_Folder_or_File_Names whithin the files. It doesn't match filenames. Try find . -name "*Some_Folder_or_File_Names*" instead.
    – PerlDuck
    May 26 at 17:00











  • Did that too after posting this. Nothing. Even did ls -a.
    – IRGeekSauce
    May 26 at 17:00










  • Ok tried the "find" command. Nothing.
    – IRGeekSauce
    May 26 at 17:03












up vote
2
down vote

favorite









up vote
2
down vote

favorite











I messed up by running a mv command on the entire contents of an old external drive to my Desktop without making a destination folder first.



I ran



sudo mv /my/external/path/* /home/myself/Desktop/


when instead I should have made a directory on Desktop first.



I wasn't thinking, and my Desktop was filling up behind my full screen terminal while I walked away unbeknownst to me. I had 3 important folders on it (School, Dev Projects, and CODE), all of them with many subdirectories. Well, they're gone, and I cannot find them.
To compound the situation, I didn't realize that my computer didn't have enough space to complete the job, so not everything was copied.



If I did not manually delete these folders, where could they have gone? I checked /home/myself/.local/share/Trash/files and found nothing.



I ran



grep -nr "Some_Folder_or_File_Names" 


on the newer external I copied to, and found nothing.



If these folders are lost, I just lost over a year of development projects and school material.



Thanks.







share|improve this question












I messed up by running a mv command on the entire contents of an old external drive to my Desktop without making a destination folder first.



I ran



sudo mv /my/external/path/* /home/myself/Desktop/


when instead I should have made a directory on Desktop first.



I wasn't thinking, and my Desktop was filling up behind my full screen terminal while I walked away unbeknownst to me. I had 3 important folders on it (School, Dev Projects, and CODE), all of them with many subdirectories. Well, they're gone, and I cannot find them.
To compound the situation, I didn't realize that my computer didn't have enough space to complete the job, so not everything was copied.



If I did not manually delete these folders, where could they have gone? I checked /home/myself/.local/share/Trash/files and found nothing.



I ran



grep -nr "Some_Folder_or_File_Names" 


on the newer external I copied to, and found nothing.



If these folders are lost, I just lost over a year of development projects and school material.



Thanks.









share|improve this question











share|improve this question




share|improve this question










asked May 26 at 16:52









IRGeekSauce

1541110




1541110




closed as off-topic by steeldriver, John1024, David Foerster, Fabby, karel May 27 at 9:06


This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:


  • "This describes a problem that can't be reproduced, that seemingly went away on its own or was only relevant to a very specific period of time. It's off-topic as it's unlikely to help future readers." – steeldriver, John1024, David Foerster, Fabby, karel
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.




closed as off-topic by steeldriver, John1024, David Foerster, Fabby, karel May 27 at 9:06


This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:


  • "This describes a problem that can't be reproduced, that seemingly went away on its own or was only relevant to a very specific period of time. It's off-topic as it's unlikely to help future readers." – steeldriver, John1024, David Foerster, Fabby, karel
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.







  • 1




    Look in the /home/myself/Desktop-folder.
    – mook765
    May 26 at 16:59










  • Your grep searches the text Some_Folder_or_File_Names whithin the files. It doesn't match filenames. Try find . -name "*Some_Folder_or_File_Names*" instead.
    – PerlDuck
    May 26 at 17:00











  • Did that too after posting this. Nothing. Even did ls -a.
    – IRGeekSauce
    May 26 at 17:00










  • Ok tried the "find" command. Nothing.
    – IRGeekSauce
    May 26 at 17:03












  • 1




    Look in the /home/myself/Desktop-folder.
    – mook765
    May 26 at 16:59










  • Your grep searches the text Some_Folder_or_File_Names whithin the files. It doesn't match filenames. Try find . -name "*Some_Folder_or_File_Names*" instead.
    – PerlDuck
    May 26 at 17:00











  • Did that too after posting this. Nothing. Even did ls -a.
    – IRGeekSauce
    May 26 at 17:00










  • Ok tried the "find" command. Nothing.
    – IRGeekSauce
    May 26 at 17:03







1




1




Look in the /home/myself/Desktop-folder.
– mook765
May 26 at 16:59




Look in the /home/myself/Desktop-folder.
– mook765
May 26 at 16:59












Your grep searches the text Some_Folder_or_File_Names whithin the files. It doesn't match filenames. Try find . -name "*Some_Folder_or_File_Names*" instead.
– PerlDuck
May 26 at 17:00





Your grep searches the text Some_Folder_or_File_Names whithin the files. It doesn't match filenames. Try find . -name "*Some_Folder_or_File_Names*" instead.
– PerlDuck
May 26 at 17:00













Did that too after posting this. Nothing. Even did ls -a.
– IRGeekSauce
May 26 at 17:00




Did that too after posting this. Nothing. Even did ls -a.
– IRGeekSauce
May 26 at 17:00












Ok tried the "find" command. Nothing.
– IRGeekSauce
May 26 at 17:03




Ok tried the "find" command. Nothing.
– IRGeekSauce
May 26 at 17:03










1 Answer
1






active

oldest

votes

















up vote
0
down vote













I rebooted and voila!
That was weird. O.o






share|improve this answer




















  • Warning: Self-answer! Do not close answer! VTC Q instead!
    – Fabby
    May 26 at 19:31

















1 Answer
1






active

oldest

votes








1 Answer
1






active

oldest

votes









active

oldest

votes






active

oldest

votes








up vote
0
down vote













I rebooted and voila!
That was weird. O.o






share|improve this answer




















  • Warning: Self-answer! Do not close answer! VTC Q instead!
    – Fabby
    May 26 at 19:31














up vote
0
down vote













I rebooted and voila!
That was weird. O.o






share|improve this answer




















  • Warning: Self-answer! Do not close answer! VTC Q instead!
    – Fabby
    May 26 at 19:31












up vote
0
down vote










up vote
0
down vote









I rebooted and voila!
That was weird. O.o






share|improve this answer












I rebooted and voila!
That was weird. O.o







share|improve this answer












share|improve this answer



share|improve this answer










answered May 26 at 17:08









IRGeekSauce

1541110




1541110











  • Warning: Self-answer! Do not close answer! VTC Q instead!
    – Fabby
    May 26 at 19:31
















  • Warning: Self-answer! Do not close answer! VTC Q instead!
    – Fabby
    May 26 at 19:31















Warning: Self-answer! Do not close answer! VTC Q instead!
– Fabby
May 26 at 19:31




Warning: Self-answer! Do not close answer! VTC Q instead!
– Fabby
May 26 at 19:31


Popular posts from this blog

Which professions warranted travel in Medieval times?

How do so many people here on Academia.SE, and in general, afford lavish higher education programs?

Trouble downloading packages list due to a “Hash sum mismatch” error